The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

It seems that there may be an easy way to allow for anyone to choose their available companions for romance, opposite OR same sex. Why not make it so that you after a certain level of affection with your companion, you have to deliberately present some more-than-one number of courtship gifts (which are rejected before that point and by all non-romanceable characters) to whoever you want to romance and then after that have the character ASK whether you are trying to start a relationship and you can say YES or NO or NO WAY and proceed accordingly. Thus all the romanceable characters could be bisexual in principle, but would have to have any type of romance, gay or straight, initiated at the players will. Seems like nobody could complain that any type of sexuality was "forced" on them that way, and if you made it so that you deliberately had to do "courting gifts", perhaps as a side bar line initiated that you had to move forward to a certain point to "score". Companions would then only flirt or respond romantically at different levels depending on this romance bar. Just a thought from one gay man waiting for the change.

This sounds reasonable to me. I DO want to try out the same sex romances, but on a different server from my current one. Once I get a character married, that's it! No other companion, same sex or opposite sex, for them ever again! I take marriage vows seriously, be it game or real life. I've already got 6 characters married and I'm working on character 7 and 8. I just don't want my new companions, or existing companions, same sex or opposite sex, all of a sudden hitting on my married character because my affection with them is either maxed, or I said hi to them and they found my companion attractive.

If server A has all females married to males, that's it. I'm done with romancing any companion except my characters' spouses. On server B, I'm all for having an option to romance Quinn or Vette or Jaesa or whoever because THAT character is unmarried and single. Understand what I'm saying?

Main server, no new romances for me ever!

Alt server, bring on the love triangles and octagons!

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iuno..i know a LOT of male players with femwars will want to dump quinn for jaesa. me i'd leave corso for akavi any day

Not my smuggler, she luffs her some Corso!

And my fem!War is in lust/love/let's have nookie hourly with Quinn.

Good to see some new faces in here. :) Welcome, all.

If you take a look at the quotes on the first page of this thread, we've got BioWare's assurance that no one will be "tricked" into starting a relationship. All the romance choices will be clearly marked. That's pretty much how it is now, isn't it? I haven't done many romances, but I know they all started with my characters choosing a [Flirt] option. Hell, Akaavi straight-up asked my Smuggler if he was interested in her, and one of the dialogue options was [Flirt] Yes. If BW keeps them at least that obvious, there should be no problems. :D

As for SGRs clashing with existing relationships, it's going to be interesting to see how BioWare handles that. Speaking again of the Smuggler, males of that class get to see Akaavi and Risha fight if they try to romance both women, and the Smuggler is forced to choose. I have a feeling we'll see more of this kind of thing once there are more romance options. I can imagine some of them being rather heartbreaking, depending on how far along you are in the relationship, especially if you choose to end a marriage. :eek: It's also possible BW might go truly controversial and allow for poly relationships, with your character romancing two companions at once. I doubt it, but it'd be interesting if they did.

If they allowed that, my Smuggler would want a do-over with Akaavi and Risha as he attempted to build his Space Harem. ...excuse me while I duck. :D

Evil=British.

You see every imperial is born sounding Amurrikan, and as they become evil they grow english accents.

Because you remember how evil those Brit's were to good'Ol Amurrika.

But i like the accent, it sounds so sexy. ;)

And yet, Imperial uniforms remind me of WWII Germany.....

+1 on the people waiting for this to be added to the game.

I can understand that there are probably many priorities, but please Bioware remember to work on this too.

Keep in mind that some of us are actually waiting with making more alts just so that we can enjoy the romances once released.

Do you think that if Corso becomes romanceable by males, when he gives you that blaster he will still name it "Sparkles"?

Well, yeah. He's still Corso, even if he's into dudes too, or just one dude in particular.

It might be funnier, though. :D

I almost think they will make it so that he names it something more "manly" if "Captain" is a dude.

Though I hope they don't :p

The smuggler role isn't particularly feminine, one of the things I love about Corso is he respects his Captain's strength. Plus the first weapon he gives her is called "Flashy" so "Sparkles" makes a set.

Keep in mind that some of us are actually waiting with making more alts just so that we can enjoy the romances once released.

I just wanted to post to echo this. Since we don't know how this is going to work, I'm holding off levelling one of my characters so I don't have to re-create him when it's implemented. Maybe Bioware are going to fix things so you wouldn't need to do that, but we just don't know.

I understand things might not be concrete at the moment and Bioware might not want to release information only to have to say, "Sorry, we had to change it." The problem is, this leaves some players in limbo with their favourite characters. My Sith Inquisitor is awesome, but I can't make a proper judgment as to whether I should level him or leave him on hold. (I have a suspicion Talos Drellik is going to be the male same-gender romance option, incidentally.)

Shame, because in my brief time playing this game it's become my favourite class. I got immersed into his storyline and then decided I had to shelve him for the time being. Fortunately, my male Imperial Agent has a thing for Kaliyo, so I do at least have a character I can play in the meantime, but it must be a nuisance for players who don't want to play any of the opposite-gender relationships.

I really don't want to come across as moaning here, I'm just putting out a few opinions on the issue. I'm a bit frustrated on a few matters, as you can tell, but I trust Bioware will handle things properly in the end.

Without looking through 80+ pages of posts, was there any comment from Bioware/Admins that same gender relationships are being in development or at least planned any time soon? I started one of my alts as a male and the amount of flirting you can do since Korriban is insane comparing to female character. Makes me feel like I am missing out on lots of funny parts in my female chars, which is frustrating. There is only so much I can with my 50 char everyday and I would like to be actually enjoying playing my atl's stories.

1.4 is supposed to be the story update and companions were specifically mentioned in the interview that came out this week. Seems likely that SGR will be added then, along with hopefully more OGR options as well. I won't be going with SGR but I'm really hoping they offer that option to those who want it soon, and I'm rabidly curious about which new or existing characters will be looking for love, SG or OG. Rabidly curious.

One of the things I do have to wonder about is whether they'll be reworking the existing stories; I mean, I can't really see how they won't. While I can see some characters holding off on romance quests till later (a slow burn as they say), some of the others, like Kailyo, seem unlikely to be that reticent. Plus it would be weird/unnatural for SGR conversations to happen only after all the 1st generation conversations are done. Ah, we shall see.

The IGN Article, it's in a sticky in general discussion about 1.3.

And in related news, patch 1.3 is just about ready for playtesting. The sooner this patch is done and running, the sooner BioWare starts talking about 1.4. So, if the tiny bits and leaks we've had are true, and SGRs are in patch 1.4, then we might get confirmation relatively soon.

To be honest, I expect the forums to explode when the official announcement finally comes, and I'll be avoiding every thread but this one. And adding "Remember, flag, don't fight!" to every post I make. :D

Decided to lose the lurker status and actually post today...

+1 in support for SGRAs. I am a bit surprised actually that we are discussing possible 1.4 for implementation (I would have thought maybe 1.2 would have been likely for a post launch addition),

Here's to hoping for 1.4 however!