The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is the Ironfist build performing in the 50 pvp bracket?

rangerlump

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent performance in the 50s bracket for me. I tried carolina parakeet and the full pyro build, too. Ironfist gives the best survivability with good mobility and damage. No huge crits like in pyro but you live long enough to do the damage to kill non healers 1v1 and the 6 sec interrupt is awesome.

IMHO, Ironfist is the best spec for anyone just hitting the 50 bracket and provides the most help to a group.

Edited by Noollig

Excellent performance in the 50s bracket for me. I tried carolina parakeet and the full pyro build, too. Ironfist gives the best survivability with good mobility and damage. No huge crits like in pyro but you live long enough to do the damage to kill non healers 1v1 and the 6 sec interrupt is awesome.

IMHO, Ironfist is the best spec for anyone just hitting the 50 bracket and provides the most help to a group.

Agreed, my PT is a fresh 50 and while I still get torn up its still easy to aid you team in many ways. It's a cake walk to get 4 medal quota in anything but the shortest one sided hutball matches, and even with just cent gear and it being a tank hybrid I've reached 100k, could probably do more but spend lots of time just being a pain in the *** to the enemy, not dps'ing.

I would say Iron Fist is better then parakeet, and as bonus no real changes to the build with 1.2

switched back to ironfist (from parakeet) to get a handle on it for next patch when 1.2 kills parakeets. (Particle Accelerator only working in combustible gas cylinder is going to take a bite out of parakeet)

Full champ gear, going for battlemaster, riding iron fist the whole way and into 1.2.

it doesn't bring as much pain as the parakeet, (If you get a good string of rail procs) and certainly not as much as full pyro, but the quality of life benefits are totally worth it.

I've found that as long as you're good about hitting your cooldowns, you shouldn't have any trouble with getting the iron fist to perform. It doesn't do amazing burst all the time- it just bursts when you need it. With BM/Rakata gear you'll hit your 2.5k single hit medals no problem. Keep a crit/surge relic and your explosive fuel handy, and a crit adrenal if you're biochem, and you'll get all the punch you need to handle a 1v1 against most players expecting an easier kill.

One of the nicer things about Iron Fist is that you have a lot of power to put down dedicated tanks, something that would have given you a lot of trouble as a full shieldtech PT, you would have been there all day. Iron Fist can put out enough unmitigated damage and appropriate burst to let you take out most dedicated tanks, something that would have taken you all match to do as a full ST powertech.

Remember also that huttball hazards are your friend- The kiddy pool is a great equalizer. It doesn't matter if you're a fresh 50 and your opponent is a battlemaster if you grapple-dart him into acid, the kool-aid hurts everyone.

I love Iron Fist. If you're good, and your group plays well, you can control an entire Warzone. The burst isn't there unless you pop your CDs. But with 1.2, you'll be able to all but shut down a healer while helping keep your teammates alive.

If you roll with a good healer and 2 strong DPS, the other team is in trouble.

Anything other than full pyro is crap in the current iteration of the game IMO. Played all the major builds. Pyro's burst trumps any utility/survivability. I don't have to survive when I can burst everything down. Besides, most times when you die in pvp it's due to being focused. Extra mitigation won't help you when the other team decides its your time to go. On pyro, I can take two of em with me. On IF or CP? None usually. I cough when another spec of ptech attempts to do anything to my pyro... Survivability is only good if you are a dedicated tank guarding a healer IMO. Otherwise 7/6/28 or some variation ftw.

Anything other than full pyro is crap in the current iteration of the game IMO. Played all the major builds. Pyro's burst trumps any utility/survivability. I don't have to survive when I can burst everything down. Besides, most times when you die in pvp it's due to being focused. Extra mitigation won't help you when the other team decides its your time to go. On pyro, I can take two of em with me. On IF or CP? None usually. I cough when another spec of ptech attempts to do anything to my pyro... Survivability is only good if you are a dedicated tank guarding a healer IMO. Otherwise 7/6/28 or some variation ftw.

Can tell if serious or.......

ive played nearly every spec possible..this is what i get from it

full pyro ive gotten 380k damage at my best 6 medals

full ap ive gotten 200k damage at my best 6 medals

parakeet ive gotten 300k at nt best 9 medals

iron fist ive gottne 280k at my best 9 medals

this comes with a nearly full cent with some champ

as u can see iron fist is just about as good as parakeet but its more substained dps then burst..u can keep all healers shut down as long as u dont overheat and u are a beast in one v one fights because u can drag them out and most of the time come out on top

ive played nearly every spec possible..this is what i get from it

full pyro ive gotten 380k damage at my best 6 medals

full ap ive gotten 200k damage at my best 6 medals

parakeet ive gotten 300k at nt best 9 medals

iron fist ive gottne 280k at my best 9 medals

this comes with a nearly full cent with some champ

as u can see iron fist is just about as good as parakeet but its more substained dps then burst..u can keep all healers shut down as long as u dont overheat and u are a beast in one v one fights because u can drag them out and most of the time come out on top

I'm a bit confused by this. Do you not have taunts hotkeyed when you Pyro?

If you keep those on coooldown and AOE Taunt in packs you should be able to at *least* get up to the 10K Protection medal each warzone.

I'm afraid this is correct. I'd like to think IF is better for huttball, but even if so, it'd still be a suboptimal pick overall.

Obviously, for premades, group composition comes into play.

Solo queue, by far, Pyro is the most effective spec for PvP. One can easily get 9-11 medals as a pyro all the time. I never thought of the survivability of ANY other spec is worth the loss of the Pyro dps. When I loose a fight against any other foe, it was not because I didnt have survivability. In fact, I think the burst and dps of a pyro, makes you very survivable. I would rather finish off a kill, then last 10sec longer and still die.

That said, hybrid specs, or tank specs have their uses in premades.

People still tend to overestimate the impact heavy armour and the ability to shield have. Even tank builds aren't all that tanky as long as a very large portion of all the attacks flying around simply ignores your defenses. The tank stance makes a big difference and the flat mitigation you can spec for helps some as well, but the best defense by a huge margin in this game is provided by cooldowns and in that regard Vanguards/PTs kinda got the short end of the stick. Obviously a full BM geared PT with 20k+ HP will be difficult to take down by the usual mix of Cent/Champ geared players, but that applies to pretty much all other classes as well.

So while the guy claiming everything but Pyro is a waste is certainly exaggerating it's important to know the limitations of the IF build. By the standards of other games it's more of a utility build than an indestructible juggernaut.

Edited by Blurps

I ran iron first for a while and then tried out full pyro dps. At the moment I definitely prefer dps though it's odd not having jet charge sometimes. I typically get 450k damage in voidstar and alderaan, with about 40k protection from taunts. comparatively, i average more like 250k damage with ironfist and around 80k protection. Numbers definitely side with pyro, though they don't necessarily imply team contribution. Ironfist does do well in pvp if you are a team player, especially when guarding a healer or if there is no one else to carry the ball in huttball. Huttball is really the only time I'd rather be ironfist to be honest. That being said, it is my plan to go back to ironfist when 1.2 hits as it gets a slight buff with the quell upgrade. Until then, I will try to get my fill of pyro, though it's burst is kind of spoiling me and doing 3k damage tops probably won't seem like enough to me when i'm back to IF.

Without a healer IF isnt great but it works...With a healer its awesome. With or without a healer Pyro can be a game changer IMHO. As full Pyro I can destroy people. No problem. Not many people can stand toe to toe with you as full pyro if your geared right.

flame shield needs to be looked at in the shield tech tree... i have a 24% chance to shield an attck then only 50% of the time it resets rp..

the iron fist spec would do alot better if this ring on a ring ******** talent was fixed..

Pyro requires gear to be effective. If you don't have a set of Champ or better gear, you aren't going to be putting out the damage that makes Pyro shine.

Ironfist gets a flat 9% mitigation no matter what gear you have, and 9% damage reduction is nothing to laugh at, especially when you are a new 50. Ironfist gives you increased survival, multiple interrupts (jet charge), and allows you to contribute to your team in ways pyro can't. Flame sweep on a a bunched up group can reduce the damage they put out by 4% for 15 seconds. That can be the edge your team needs to take them out.

A Pyro without high-end gear to put out big crits is just a drain on healer resources. Try pyro after you've got at least a full set of centurion, and preferably half a set of champ or better.

Edited by Noollig

Post 1.2 I think the choice will be more down to whether you'll pvp as a guild/ premade group in rated WZ's or just join solo.

I think IF will be an awesome healer babysitter spec for team rated WZ's as you'll have much more emphasis on taking out healers so protection will be needed.

Still undecided between the combat tech and supercommando gear. 2x 2 piece bonus may be useful and the defensive stats will be more use bearing in mind the switch to weapon damage for marauders.

Pyro won't cut this role as we just tend to be waiting for defensive cd's to reset and when focused drop pretty quick. Pyro would be a more solo rated WZ spec imo.