Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Scrump

It is a ridiculous way to make a lot of easy money for zero effort. All the leveling gold sinks so far have been trivial because of it.

Even if you do re-roll into a craft skill at 400, slicing gave you a ton of free gold as you leveled up, and you're not far behind the people who put all their money into X-craft anyway.

I'm really bad at math, but it would seem all vendor-bought items get progressively cheaper as you put more and more money into the system (due to fixed price), while all AH-items get progressively larger prices (not necessarily more "expensive"), which will suck for lowbies who don't have access to that kind of money.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really bad at math, but it would seem all vendor-bought items get progressively cheaper as you put more and more money into the system (due to fixed price), while all AH-items get progressively larger prices (not necessarily more "expensive"), which will suck for lowbies who don't have access to that kind of money.

To me it feels like a bit of a misconception. If a lowbie sells items, they too will sell them at inflated prices making inflated income from them but will make relatively little from questing and static income methods. When the economy is inflated, through the auction house or global trade network it can be easier to make higher amounts of money not necessarily higher amounts of wealth and it can work for all levels not just high levels. It will work against a lowbie, or someone new to the game that refuses to sell things on the global trade network and try and just use questing when trying to purchase something off the global trade network. As stated vendor items never change value making them no harder but possibly easier for being able to sell at inflated values.

Your missing the point, this is not like economy class. The way you see it is that slicing is like printing money, which does indeed cause inflation.

The difference is that you are giving up the ability to be a top notch crafter, creating a shortage of goods resulting increased revenues for crafters. Whatever inflation occurs will serve only to weaken the viability of slicing and increase the sale point of crafted goods. This creates a shift away from slicing as it loses economic viability, stabilizing the system.

As to only the good sellers making money, when demand exceeds supply it matters little if you are undercut.

but what you fail to see is that artificially increasing the sale point of items (inflation) is -bad- for the players and force them to taking slicing or not buying items from the ah at all.

you can be a slicer, you can be a top notch seller and then what? everyone else get screwed.

this is not a viable economy.

I don't see it being much of an issue. Like people said, there isn't much of a market for anything right now. I can very easily see stuff from other mission skills selling for as much as you make from slicing missions, possibly more.

Also, all money in the game is pulled out of thin air. It's a video game, resources aren't limited. Just like you can keep doing slicing missions and getting money without spending resources you can kill things that drop money. Free money, no resource input (outside of time, which slicing also takes). Use the gathering skills to pick up crystals or scrap or plants? Free money, those things don't run out. Everything in the game generates money and puts it into the economy without the world losing any resources otherwise. The only important factor here is whether slicing is roughly equal in profit with other crew skills, which I think it will be, and if it isn't, the reason would be under powered crafted gear. If people actually want crafted items, they'll pay plenty of money for them and also for the materials to create them.

Most of the whining idiots are probably forgetting that they spend money to send their alts and that the economy is an infant born. Soon with the amount of players after retail, slicing will be a newbie way of making money, while crafters and gatherers will be making the real deal.

Sometimes i wonder if these people never played a MMORPG.

Currently sitting at 400 slicing and after buying the level 40 speeder training, buying 2 speeders at 25k a piece, loaning someone 50k, and training, I still have over 300k. My friend still has over 500k. And we're not even 50 yet.

Slicing is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed somewhat. I left beta at level 45 and my Slicing was pretty high, but I don't think above 200. I was at 600k and it wasn't all from Slicing, but Slicing opened the door to more income for sure. I felt the game economy was in line with the Slicing alone TBH (if you consider mod removal costs, repair costs and other things at that level you better have some dough).

I think the true problem is that the other crew skills really aren't in line with the economy much. Bio, for example reverse engineers to unconsumable stims...so eventually you are making this great product that you will have no return customers on. Pretty idiotic. So I grind up spending credits looking for the semi-rare components only to sell the item once. That would be great I guess if no one else will have them, but from the looks of it that will definitely not be the case. Other gear crafters are good at certain levels, but eventually gear at a high level won't be swapped out as much.

the TLDR version is that Slicing is in line with the game's proposed economy...the other skills are not.

I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%

IF you really cared you would have not continued to use it

Currently sitting at 400 slicing and after buying the level 40 speeder training, buying 2 speeders at 25k a piece, loaning someone 50k, and training, I still have over 300k. My friend still has over 500k. And we're not even 50 yet.

Slicing is pretty ridiculous.

Wait let me get this straight as of yesterday when you posted this you were already LvL 40? And maxed out in Slicing? How is that even possible at most you have been playing for 4 days, if you got in during the first round.

My point here is no matter how you "slice" it you are not the norm. So yes maybe it is possible to make outrageous amounts of credits if you play 24/7 with no breaks or what ever. But not everyone plays that way, hell not even the majority of the people play that way.

For the first time I decided not to choose a crafting profession and have gone with Slicing, treasure hunting and Investigation. Is it a good choice? I have no idea but so far at 26 I seem to be doing well financially. Since I have no way of creating mods, armour, weapons, stims, med packs for myself that means I need to rely on all YOU crafters out there. Doesn't that make me a good potential customer? I have High needs and I have expendable income.

I think its too early to start assuming things about the economy and whether its going to tank. Bioware has already proven to me they know their $*** and I have 100% confidence in them.

As for the gold farming "business" as long as people buy the gold/credits they will keep doing it. chances are the people who buy the credits are the ones who don't want to invest time crafting or grinding money. Having a legit way for people to earn some money to buy the things they want/need will reduce the overall need for people to buy credits. It will certainly hurt the gold farmers profits which is the only way to destroy them once and for all!

Edited by Radburn

The reason I chose slicing was because I was completely broke and needed a way to earn money without levelling up. I made about 20k in around 6 hours at level 13 by running around the old market in corsucant and slicing everything! @_@ Oh and sending my companion out for lockboxes while Im at it.

Now that I made enough money, I went back to using diplomacy and grinding it up while making Corso fall in love with me.

Yes slicing will remain static. As in you know what your getting. The economy can change anytime. So the question here isn't whether slicing will ruin the economic but will the economy eventually make slicing useless other augments and a small source of income.

This all varys server to server. One server might have slicing as the see all god due to them being great with prices and having it ruin the economy

Another server might be so high that everyone takes slicing because of a bad economy.

either way personalities of the player will play a huge role in the end.

In the higher levels of slicing missions you see returns of a few thousand credits. Those missions take your companions 30 minutes to complete. I don't see how that is going to single handedly ruin the economy when I can easily make double that by grinding in circles through heavy enemy areas.

It isn't a choice to make thousands doing this or that. It is an ability to do this and that and make even more.

Is slicing 'broken'? I won't pretend to know.

I just know that nothing is proven by being able to make money by running around for a while.

If I can get 3 of some metal or some chemical and I can average 3K credits for a slicing run that costs the same, then I need to be able to get 1K for a unit of whatever material.

If I get more, then slicing is underperforming, and if I get less than it is overperforming.

What I get elsewhere doing other things doesn't matter.

I don't mean to stroke my e-peen, but I do agree slicing is rather akward at this current state.

My sith inq is level 24 at the moment and I currently run around with roughly 190.000 credits ( After spending 14k on a robe and about 10k on AH ). Not sure how much value credits have compared to WoW gold ( 100.000 Credits = 1 gold? ), but I feel stinking rich.

My friends, who're 19 and 18 are running around with barely 25k each.

Edited by Bonkbonk

This has been mentioned by a few people in this thread but generally speaking you're all missing the point here.

Right now slicing is giving you incredible amounts of money. Yes, vendor items you need are easily acquired because of this. Other crafting skills are producing items which are not selling for much because there is no demand for them yet. Guilds are not raiding, people don't have high level toons yet, etc.

Here is what is going to happen; Inflation will quickly set in on trade market items as demand goes up while supply stays limited due to everyone having slicing. Money is abundant, people will continue to drive the prices up as they are willing to give up more and more money for these items. Suddenly the items are now at a price point which is unreasonable compared to the income rate of slicing [which remains fixed]. Now the crafters are making more money than the slicers and supply slowly starts to increase while demand stays relatively stable. Slicing is no longer as profitable as crafting on a rate/hr basis, hence the economy has "leveled out". Slicing remains useful for low level characters as a way to make money for vendor items while they level if they don't want to bother with the trade network and actual crafting skills. This is fine.

Price points are set, the economy stabilizes, crafting is more profitable than "money printing" but not necessarily the only option and everyone is happy.

Some level of inflation will obviously remain as more and more money is slowly introduced into the economy, but this is present in any economy and isn't going away. The important thing is that slicing does not scale with inflation and will therefore become irrelevant later in the game for everything outside of fixed price vendor items. Basically an easy way to make sure you have enough credits for the essentials while leveling with minimal effort.

Some level of inflation will obviously remain as more and more money is slowly introduced into the economy, but this is present in any economy and isn't going away. The important thing is that slicing does not scale with inflation and will therefore become irrelevant later in the game for everything outside of fixed price vendor items. Basically an easy way to make sure you have enough credits for the essentials while leveling with minimal effort.

That's all well and good in the "future" but what about right now when my level 28 BH friend who is a slicer and is sending his companions on lvl 50 missions and is rolling in creds? This isn't right. I have Arch, Artifice, and Treasure hunting and at lvl 25 they're all around 160, and I can honestly say I haven't used a single thing other than the relic I picked up this morning. Quests and Flashpoints provide me gear on par or better than the ones I could make.

So as it stands now, slicing gives an unfair advantage while leveling.

That's all well and good in the "future" but what about right now when my level 28 BH friend who is a slicer and is sending his companions on lvl 50 missions and is rolling in creds? This isn't right. I have Arch, Artifice, and Treasure hunting and at lvl 25 they're all around 160, and I can honestly say I haven't used a single thing other than the relic I picked up this morning. Quests and Flashpoints provide me gear on par or better than the ones I could make.

So as it stands now, slicing gives an unfair advantage while leveling.

You're doing Artificing wrong if you can't make better gear than what you're getting from mission rewards. No offense intended. My modded lightsaber does 40% more damage than any equivalent level quest reward.

Of course your friend has more money. You are spending yours on crafting. Crafting is always a money sink when leveling it.

You're doing Artificing wrong if you can't make better gear than what you're getting from mission rewards. No offense intended. My modded lightsaber does 40% more damage than any equivalent level quest reward.

Of course your friend has more money. You are spending yours on crafting. Crafting is always a money sink when leveling it.

My problem is, I can make really good gear, there just aren't people out there buying my barrels, guns, shotguns, etc. Everything is so easily obtained from questing/flashpoints and even if it isn't as good as the things I can make, people can manage until the next flashpoint/quest rewards.

I have been wealthy in every MMO I have played too, just from going out and getting things that are in demand.

Trust me OP, slicing will be a joke in a few months.

I know right..

trust me all those credits, epic recipies and rare items slicing has a chance to find, it will easily die out ina few months....

If you chose crafting at launch you should know that you will be broke and see no return until very later on when items actually start to have some worth at endgame. What you do get is the ability to make your own gear and the potential to make LOTS of money if you snag that super rare schematic no one else has.

If you chose Slicing you will have a much easier go leveling up but there will come a point where your spending habits will far outweigh your income from slicing.

It all balances out. What remains to be seen is how lucrative the crafting skills will be. If at some point they need a boost then thats where the focus should be, but you cannot guage that this early on.

A lot of people are complaining about slicing and stating the repercussions from leveling multiple toons to 16 then farming slicing.

Why talk about nerfing it? I'm of the mindset that, once 50, it really won't seem that OP anymore and I'll more than willingly give it up in favor of actually _useful_ skills.

Instead of nerfing it, impose a level limit. Ie, there are 50 levels and 400 crafting levels. Make it so that you increment by 40 every 5 levels.

Level 5 ---- 40

Level 10 ---- 80

Level 20 ---- 160

Level 30 ---- 240

Level 40 ---- 320

Level 50 ---- 400

It would prevent gold farmers, but at the same time allow for a somewhat steady cash flow during leveling, as well as allowing the full cash flow at 50 for those who for some reason decide to stay with slicing.

*shrug* People like to blow things out of proportion, especially considering the game hasn't even technically been released yet.

Because just like you said for those who "for some reason decide to stay with slicing". If you are going to make it so that there is no reason to get it, just remove it. Simple enough. You can't create the skill that only returns money, then make it so that it's return is useless. You can replace the money with something else, have them have a high chance of instead of returning money they return rare mats or something.