Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Scrump

whatever, i'll just keep grinding slicing until they nerf it into oblivion like mmo's always do to parts of the game that are enjoyable. Then i'll switch to something else.

enjoyable?

i understand making money is "enjoyable" but you make it sound like it's something more than clicking a button and forgetting about it for 30 minutes.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enjoyable?

i understand making money is "enjoyable" but you make it sound like it's something more than clicking a button and forgetting about it for 30 minutes.

I think its fun - there's a little anticipation involved waiting for the crew member to return, wondering how much you get and whether there is a bonus item. This goes for any skill really.

On a sidenote I'm nearing 350 slicing and the returns are poor. missions take 30+ minutes and cost 1200-1500 and they rarely bring back what you paid for them. I think we saw such good returns earlier because of the frequency of missions resulting in more chances to crit? You could send out 5 level 2-4 missions in 30 min.

Wait let me get this straight as of yesterday when you posted this you were already LvL 40? And maxed out in Slicing? How is that even possible at most you have been playing for 4 days, if you got in during the first round.

My point here is no matter how you "slice" it you are not the norm. So yes maybe it is possible to make outrageous amounts of credits if you play 24/7 with no breaks or what ever. But not everyone plays that way, hell not even the majority of the people play that way.

lol someone in my guild hit 50 tonight.

tons of people play 24 / 7 I got into the game "friday" but I didn't play friday, I played saturday from 8 am - 9 pm and today from 8 am till 930 pm and I'm level 20. If I was playing for 4 days I could be 40 or 50, but I also didn't do beta so I'm learning things for the first time. The quests are fun, so it doesn't get boring like most MMOs, there aren't grinds here really.

Everyone who says "to make money in slicing u have to play 24/7 or slicing doesnt generate a lot of money" When the game is out for a while and gold farmers start (happens in every game) DONT COMPLAIN about prices on the auction... everyone i know is getting slicing to level to make money while leveling because it makes a **** load of money... I agree nerf it!

Yes they have the chance to fail the mission... think about it, how many times do ur companions fail missions? maybe 1/10 missions? huge profit

I agree - gold farmers will bot the heck out of this skill. This skill is much worse than any other skills because it adds credits directly to the economy and will cause massive inflation if it is left as is. Having a completely risk free way to create credits out of thin air will be disastrous.

Oh come on. Now you sound like Ron Paul.

In space.

Its basic economics, slicing wont be a problem, once the economy settles down.

Slicing has one huge problem, it doesnt get something that other people want. just money.

And when the price of crafting mats begin to up, the oportunity cost will be reach to a piont where slicing is not worth keeping.

For example;

Slicing profits 3000credits takes 30min for your companion.

crystal#1 sells for 1000credit. takes 30min of you comp. and few sec of your time.

the moment crystal#1 begin to cost 3001credits, slicing will be uneffective to keep.

I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%

you're not spamming lockboxes...it takes upwards of 30 minutes a pop.

I picked up Slicing (250), Cybertech (200ish) and UT (180ish).

Just hit 25 last night, and had enough for the 48K with a comfortable reserve but I'd been saving for a couple levels.

What slicing has done for me is to level Cybertech without it's associated gathering profession. Quite a lot of the money I make I've been turning right back around to buy mats on the AH to keep my CT at a point where it's keeping me either on par with the top tier token rewards or higher.

Personal experience only, but slicing seems to be allowing me to level a crafting skill based on purchased mats while also being able to have a chance to find some exclusive missions/recipes/augments.

I ain't rolling in the dough but I and my ship are modded to the nuts while making some people on the AH some easy wealth.

you're not spamming lockboxes...it takes upwards of 30 minutes a pop.

At Slicing 400 most are 45 minutes to 90 minutes, with 2k investment for 3-6k return.

Edit: The real money comes from selling augs, cybertech schematics, and missions.

Edited by Naters

But what they're saying is that, not only is the pure incoming of credits too much, but even compared to other professions it's imbalanced.

For instance, I'm working really hard to get my Armormech worked up. When I have to train I am literally out of money. Like, I LITERALLY have like 600 credits. At level 17. I burn money on missions to get supplies to build items - that I reverse engineer to get crappy turn around of reagants - it's all a loss. Every second of it. I lose money on the missions to get supplies. I lose supplies to make items. I lose the items (and therefore can't sell them), to get some supplies back. Repeat. It's all a loss.

Slicing? It's put in pocket change, and in the grand scheme bring back a speeder.

It really is imbalanced. There needs to be something to spend money ON for the thing.

I understand your point, and as an Artificer, I am going through the same thing you are. However, there is no established econ to sell anything right now, so you just RE everything. When the econ settles though, you'll be rewarded for getting a purp recipe and putting it to use. Maybe even for a blue recipe. Cause those slicers will be buying the best off the GTN. You'll start to make a profit, which will allow you to buy way more mats than if you just REed stuff.

Right now though, it's hard to have a clear picture of how everything scales. Lets wait a few weeks for the GTN to really start working, then lets all complain again then.