Spacebar has never, ever seen this much love

Kharui

I was against the voice acting and too much story from day 1, but of course, pretty much everybody kept yelling "if you don't love story and immersion go back to wow!".

TOOOOLD YOUUUUU

Edited by Dash_Fiss

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was against the voice acting and too much story from day 1, but of course, pretty much everybody kept yelling "if you don't love story and immersion go back to wow!".

TOOOOLD YOUUUUU

I remember my first thought when I heard about voice overs. I thought "Well, that's not gonna work, it's a stupid idea, it's an MMO... they are better off spending that money on the features"

But then it kinda grew on me and I thought "well! innovation! I think that can be quite interesting".

What I didn't anticipate was Bioware making so many restrictions, so for a given level there's only one planet you can go. You cannot level from 10-20 (around) anywhere else than Coruscant, you can't go anywhere else than Nar Shadaa or Taris afterwards, there's no path to choose, and I can't make a third alt, it would kill me. I'd love to have one, but I know I can't go to a different planet.

I really wish they didn't bother with the voice overs. It's a nice touch, but it doesn't make an MMO last, because how many times can you listen to the same lines?

I like all the stories, sure there are side quests with fluff, but ill still listen and make decisions. Alot of the bonus series mission chains have really good stories (some of the best in the game) and ive really enjoyed them. Then there is the main planet storyline which is usually quite good and ties in with your class storyline sometimes, as well as with other planets (as the war rages on)

It doesnt sound like you gave it much of a chance, or werent a fan of bioware storytelling to begin with. Sure their are meaningless quests that dont have a great story but the chat you have is usually quite short for those. And sometimes honestly the side quests and heroics are just downright funny.

Like the guy that wants to eat the bug meat on balmorra with the snout (the race of my Avatar on the forums) that was freaking hilarious, it didnt tie into anything else or anything like that but it was great.

Also the gree storyline on coruscant was awesome and it wasnt part of the main planet quest it was just a nice quest chain.

I think one of my favourites was the nar shadaa bonus series (you have to go back there at level 31-33) there where so many differnent possible outcomes based on your decision. And you had the option to bang one of those freaky green chicks at the end lol.

Voice overs/cut scenes should have been limited to class quests exclusively. That would make it more meaningful vs feeling like you HAVE to help every dang NPC who doesn't have bio-med parts, or needs thugs killed or has an auntie up a tree. I find the interaction during class missions to be good but I space the heck out of every other mission.

I remember my first thought when I heard about voice overs. I thought "Well, that's not gonna work, it's a stupid idea, it's an MMO... they are better off spending that money on the features"

But then it kinda grew on me and I thought "well! innovation! I think that can be quite interesting".

What I didn't anticipate was Bioware making so many restrictions, so for a given level there's only one planet you can go. You cannot level from 10-20 (around) anywhere else than Coruscant, you can't go anywhere else than Nar Shadaa or Taris afterwards, there's no path to choose, and I can't make a third alt, it would kill me. I'd love to have one, but I know I can't go to a different planet.

I really wish they didn't bother with the voice overs. It's a nice touch, but it doesn't make an MMO last, because how many times can you listen to the same lines?

There is still plenty of option if you look for them in the form of bonus series, some planets even have 3 different bonus series all with their own story lines( voss for instance)

The bonus series gives you choice on weather you want to level up on a new planet or stick with the one your on or go back to a planet youve already been too. Sure you still have to do your class quests on every planet but thats a given.

My first time through i did numerous bonus series, but also skipped quite a few. Because of that, i didnt do any quests except for class quests on Alderaan, Corellia or quesh. Then there where some planets i only did half of etc, and some planets i didnt do the bonus series on. There is still choice for leveling, its just not in the traditional sense your used to, or it may not be as obvious.

I love the story in this game. It adds immersion and gives purpose to what I'm doing in game.

As per the voice overs, do people really feel like voice overs in a game in 2012 are an optional thing? This isn't the SNES era.

IMO, if you're forcing a player to read dialogue in a game in the year 2012, your game is garbage.

I love the story in this game. It adds immersion and gives purpose to what I'm doing in game.

As per the voice overs, do people really feel like voice overs in a game in 2012 are an optional thing? This isn't the SNES era.

IMO, if you're forcing a player to read dialogue in a game in the year 2012, your game is garbage.

As long as you do it well, i heard the voiceovers in GW2 are total garbage and actually take away from the immersion.

I have 8 toons. 4 rep and 4 imp. The only time I skip through the dialogue is if I've done the same side quests 4 times. Like did it fresh and new on Sith War, skipped on BH, skipped on Inquis and skipped on Imp Agent.

I still take the time to pick the correct answer in my mind because they ARE different in how they talk to you.

Oh! Hello Agent, didn't see you there!

I hate aliens. *Chiss Imp Agent glares at quest giver* Oh! Didn't mean you!

I NEVER skip class stories even if I've seen/done/heard them 20 billion times. Because they are ALWAYS different. Picked light side option first time? Pick dark second time. Etc.

I left, yes, LEFT, WoW for SW and I'm NEVER going back to that dry and boring game, ever. I'm here to stay. I hope they add MORE story and dialogue and companions and companion quests.

If the story isn't for you, might want to find a different MMO.

i mash space bar like its my job when people start talking.

i mean honestly its always the same thing. go to X location then either kill x number or click x number, then return.

ooh boy, the npc guy said something about paying me or someone was in trouble or some such stereotypical lines.

Edited by -Fritz-

Personally I prefer reading the dialogue. I read much, much faster than the guy talks and it's just irritating to have to wait for the guy in the studio to slowly... enunciate... every... word... emoting... as... if... this... is... the... most... important... task... in... the... world... when... he... just... wants... me... to... kill... 10... dudes... like... 10... feet... away...

Basically, at any point where in real life I'd interrupt the guy and say "Look, I really don't care why you need this done, just tell me what you want," I'm spacebarring.

Edited by Snoodmaster

i mash space bar like its my job when people start talking.

i mean honestly its always the same thing. go to X location then either kill x number or click x number, then return.

ooh boy, the npc guy said something about paying me or someone was in trouble or some such stereotypical lines.

Yea just like questing in every single mmo out there? You signed up to play an mmo what did you expect. Except for they actually added context through story and decision making that can effect your story (for any quest chain the decisions you make can effect the outcome weather that be a bonus series, a planet quest chain, or your class story)

I hate it when people say "i mean honestly its alwways the same thing" about questing like its something unique to this mmo and not soomething done in almost every mmo in existance. Like I said at least there is an actual story in this one and there is context and reason behind why you are doing said objective. Makes a world of difference if you actually allow your self to be immersed in the story.

I agree. Though i really love the "main quest" on a Planet and my class quest. They did amazing stuff. But cba sitting trough every side quest.

Bonus series also have amazing story lines (not all but most of them) , and there are side quest chains that arent part of the main planet quest chain that are quite good too. At the same time there are just side quest that dont have any follow up, the dialogue is usually pretty short. Sometimes its really funny though, like the one on balmorra with the guy (same race as my avatar) that needs you to hunt spider meat for him to eat, that **** was hilarious. And some of the jawa ones are pretty funny etc.

Alot of the side quests are just good for a laugh, and their is still a wide variety of responses for them, not to metnion they will say something different depending on your race, class, and gender so with those things in mind they never will say ALL of the same things if you switching up race/class/gender for your toons. Not to mention all the amazing stuff they did with choice in this game, i know that your class quests follow a general story line that it sticks too, but the people involved in that story line can change, and the details surrounding it can change vastly as well based on your decisions. A guildies main is a jedi shadow and he just finished leveling up a sage, he chose a different gender and race for his sage , and went light side he was surprised at how different it actually was. Also there are even different options to choose within light side or dark side on top of that. Ie. take someones money and let them live instead of killing them for 2 different dark side options.

Alot of work was put into the dialogue more than people actually realize, if you didnt come to this game for the story , then why did you come (not specifically talking about the person i quoted, just in general) it was advertised as star wars mmo with Bioware story telling, I dont know what the OP expected.

Edited by Samborino

I have 8 toons. 4 rep and 4 imp. The only time I skip through the dialogue is if I've done the same side quests 4 times. Like did it fresh and new on Sith War, skipped on BH, skipped on Inquis and skipped on Imp Agent.

I still take the time to pick the correct answer in my mind because they ARE different in how they talk to you.

Oh! Hello Agent, didn't see you there!

I hate aliens. *Chiss Imp Agent glares at quest giver* Oh! Didn't mean you!

I NEVER skip class stories even if I've seen/done/heard them 20 billion times. Because they are ALWAYS different. Picked light side option first time? Pick dark second time. Etc.

I left, yes, LEFT, WoW for SW and I'm NEVER going back to that dry and boring game, ever. I'm here to stay. I hope they add MORE story and dialogue and companions and companion quests.

If the story isn't for you, might want to find a different MMO.

Was going to post with my own thoughts but then I saw the above & decided to take the lazy way out because she mirrors my thoughts exactly (including having the 8 toons-4 on each side).

PS- Well, almost exactly. I left WoW 9 months after its release and never went back. :cool:

I figured from the beginning that the whole 4th pillar thing was going to get old. But I couldn't even make it through one character before spacebaring through everything but the main story line. Even my best friend, who is in love with this game for some reason, has to turn subtitles off to FORCE himself to listen to the dialogue....Its a waste of resources to continue fully voicing this game.

I tried.. I tried to get into the story. I really did! I knew coming into this game that it was going to be story heavy, but I love star wars and I love mmo's so there was no way I wasn't giving this game a shot.

At the start, the "let's talk crapola" for 2 minutes while I grab a quest was cute.. even interesting, espesially the class quests! But I am now at a point where I get to a quest hub and basically cringe at the thought of talking with an NPC.

"Just hit spacebar if you can't handle some dialogue". Okies.. done that and I'm still mad as hell and just not up for this type of play. Goodluck to ya if you can sit through the dribble on every alt, through every quest (even spamming spacebar).

I had fun for a little bit.. nothing new really except for a full on frustration fest of a leveling experience for me. I am sure I am not alone, but also, I can see how many people would like this type of questing.

I wish the game the best but it just isn't good enough for me to overlook the SPACEBAR SPAM I face with questing. I hope I never see this style in any future MMO I play.

Have fun ya'all!

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe this style of questing isn't for you? i never complained about boring and mundane questing system when NPC look like cardboard cut outs and give you boring tasks. Because i know others enjoy it.

Pro tip..only because a feature is not to your taste doesn't mean its bad. Time to move along.

Different strokes for different folks. Maybe this style of questing isn't for you? i never complained about boring and mundane questing system when NPC look like cardboard cut outs and give you boring tasks. Because i know others enjoy it.

Pro tip..only because a feature is not to your taste doesn't mean its bad. Time to move along.

Its bad when the resources being devoted to continuing a feature not many truly use could be allocated elsewhere to actually make this game better....