Spacebar has never, ever seen this much love

Kharui

Its bad when the resources being devoted to continuing a feature not many truly use could be allocated elsewhere to actually make this game better....

And you know that how? please stop using forums which represent minority of actual player base as some un refutable data to make your point.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you know that how? please stop using forums which represent minority of actual player base as some un refutable data to make your point.

I'm going off every single player I know in game. And I'm on an RP server, so its biased towards liking the story. Seriously, you talk about assumptions but your the one doing the assuming.

Its bad when the resources being devoted to continuing a feature not many truly use could be allocated elsewhere to actually make this game better....

I fully agree. Would rather have 3 or 4 more warzones than any voiced dialogue. The amount of money and labour spent on voicing the dialogues is not inconsequential.

I'm going off every single player I know in game. And I'm on an RP server, so its biased towards liking the story. Seriously, you talk about assumptions but your the one doing the assuming.

Hahaha... you go off every single player you know? and how many do you know? when you start saying stuff like 'many, majority' you better have some reasonable data to back up your claim. I never said any of those things..but if you have been playing MMOS for long you would know that forums represent minority of player base.

10 people you know on your server doesn't mean many or majority (yes i am assuming unless you claim to know thousands).

People need to stop making claims like that just to give more weight to their opinion. There are 1.7 million players in game right now and you know how many of those who are just using spcaebar to skip voice overs? you must know something we don't.

I think not hitting the space bar is one reason I am counting down my last week or so of this game (which to be honest is only because I forgot to cancel before I got charged, otherwise haven't been on in about a month). I wanted to see the full story, I wanted to see my companion's feelings on what I chose to do, and after a while I think it just got to me, and I couldn't even level anymore after 44 or 45 levels.

I remember when it happened, I was going to log off one night after finishing the planet I was on and figuring that would also get me a new level. Well, I finished the planet, and still have at least three or four quest left worth of EXP to get before I would level. I went to the next planet got to the starting hub, looked at my map, sighed, felt physically ill when I considered all the yapping and mundane BS I was assuredly going to have to do, said, "screw it," and then logged. Only got back on to see if my friends were on so I could tell them I was quitting since I wasn't seeing them on Mumble.

I didn't initially plan to get on a soapbox, but eh, whatever, might as well post why I don't want to play this game anymore somewhere, and apparently any thread, no matter how well done and constructive it is, will be deleted by Bioware if it doesn't lick their boot. Also like to point out that anybody who feels the need to defend this game shouldn't bother, it will only deviate the topic moreso than I already have, and I won't respond anyhow, especially in about a week when my sub ends.

We need a cantina called "Spacebar" where all the vendors are silent and subtitled, just for a spot of fun. I think Georg Zoeller is the only developer with a decent sense of humour. There's not enough "funny" in this game, for being Star Wars.

No.

I have not used the spacebar in conversations once dung my play time, even on all of my alts.

You are free to use the spacebar if you wish, but don't feel that you represent 'the majority' of players, or how they feel about the story of this game.

I'm sorry but I'd drop this game like a lead potato, if they ever gave up voice, because some people were just to 'bored' with the story. There are a TON of other games that have no story, no plot, and no reason to even look at any quest text...if you don't want story...why are you here?

I'm serious, why pay for a game, that you knew, would have fully voiced quests if you had no intention of appreciating them for what they were?!

Fully voiced quests were one of the selling points of this game! No really! This is what Bioware does best! *facedesk*

This is just unbelievable, there is just no pleasing some of you....is there...

I'm not mad that you use the spacebar, no, I'm mad that you think everyone else does it as well.

Edited by JediElf

I have two main characters: One dedicated for duoing with my wife, second one for solo.

The duo character is ahead of the solo character, quest and level wise, and is approaching the end of the class story.

On our duo characters, we are doing everything together, including each other's class stories, even when it's only talk.

On our duo characters, we agreed to never use the space bar. We don't even interrupt the "umpa woompa tatanka" of the space Apaches.

On my solo character, I listen to all class quest talk, but spacebar through maybe half of the side quests, depending on my mood. I also tend to spacebar most of the "umpa woompa" guys.

Anway, we should not complain about the voicing too much. When you think about it - if you took away the voice acting and the cut scenes, you would be left with a game that is not exactly very interesting. The fact that the acting is only fun the first time is quite normal, like with a movie. Sometimes you are satisfied watching a movie only once, sometimes you want to watch it twice, sometims you like to watch it again after some time has passed.

It's no biggie, guys, just a game. Play it while it's fun, stop playing when it's no longer fun and find something new - I'm certain I will at some point, probably later this year. :)

Voice acting and cutscenes are brilliant, they make story alive. SWTOR missions are much more interesting than any other game quests. I've played UO (no quests at all), EQ (never read them), DAoC (was there even quests), WoW (never read them), Rift (never read them). Playing swtor character feels like playing character, not just playing some shoot em up, like many people seem to want it to be.

Go PVP if you don't like story and just want to shoot em up.

-Raz

There's only so much you can do to liven up "Click 4 panels and kill 25 enemies then come back and click me".

I would have to agree. It's missing an element of chaos. As the system is now, if I were to make two characters that are the same class and made the same choices, the characters would have identical experiences.

What would have livened things up would be to add in a random factor to every story, sort of an unexpected side branch to the story that happens because certain unknown random circumstances have occurred outside of the player's perception.

Game needs more chaos.

I would have to agree. It's missing an element of chaos. As the system is now, if I were to make two characters that are the same class and made the same choices, the characters would have identical experiences.

What would have livened things up would be to add in a random factor to every story, sort of an unexpected side branch to the story that happens because certain unknown random circumstances have occurred outside of the player's perception.

Game needs more chaos.

More chaos PLUS more adherence to the story.

Example: on Belsavis, there is a quest (may be a class quest) where you become marked for immediate extermination, and you must remove your mark quickly or you'll DIE!

Or, you can just run past all the mobs, about 5m away,... nothing changed. It's not like you're on 5 stars in GTA or something. The story has NO BEARING on the gameplay. It's jarring.

What am I suggesting, that if you pick up a quest to save someone IMMEDIATELY or they'll DIE-OH-NOES!, that you'd actually have to save them in a timely fashion, not 2 months later after you've PvP'd your heart out and grinded idiot Corso to 400 Armstech? Yes. Yes I am.

More chaos PLUS more adherence to the story.

Example: on Belsavis, there is a quest (may be a class quest) where you become marked for immediate extermination, and you must remove your mark quickly or you'll DIE!

Or, you can just run past all the mobs, about 5m away,... nothing changed. It's not like you're on 5 stars in GTA or something. The story has NO BEARING on the gameplay. It's jarring.

What am I suggesting, that if you pick up a quest to save someone IMMEDIATELY or they'll DIE-OH-NOES!, that you'd actually have to save them in a timely fashion, not 2 months later after you've PvP'd your heart out and grinded idiot Corso to 400 Armstech? Yes. Yes I am.

Yeah. I noticed that. Even with quests that are supposed to be "ZOMG EMERGENCY!!" type of scenarios, there's no real sense of urgency. It's kind of weird.

Ok, everyone thats saying we have an option to auto-skip, please stop saying that... it just skips the intro movies. Nothing more.

That said, i love the game, love the story and even i spacebar after the 4-5th time i do the same mission... its understandable, and its why the spacebar option is even there...

If its a quest i havent done or one ive only done once or twice, ill listen through it, but other than that ill spacebar most of the time.

Its not a question of not liking the story or voice acting. Its a question of seeing the same thing for the 5th time.

But as it happens i still listen to more than half of all the cutscenes without skipping...

Yeah. I noticed that. Even with quests that are supposed to be "ZOMG EMERGENCY!!" type of scenarios, there's no real sense of urgency. It's kind of weird.

There are a few with timers, one i can think of off the top of my head is the mandalorian one on tatooine where you poison yourself and go to the sandpeople camp for the cure. If you dont make it in time you die.

But all too many of the "hurry up or its all over" quests are not on a timer.

But that is hardly unique to this game...

There are a few with timers, one i can think of off the top of my head is the mandalorian one on tatooine where you poison yourself and go to the sandpeople camp for the cure. If you dont make it in time you die.

But all too many of the "hurry up or its all over" quests are not on a timer.

But that is hardly unique to this game...

Not unique to SWTOR at all. I was hoping they'd, you know, do something different than every other MMO. (Oh wait they did - VOICE ACTING!)

I almost wish I HAD to listen to what the dude said in order to complete the quest - like, if I wasn't paying attention, I could frag the whole thing up. And again - I would've loved for the first sidequest to be a guy saying "We're under attack by giant space ants! Can you help us?" and if you say no, this space ant eats him alive in front of you, and that's that. Or if you say yes, but run off to collect another quest first, by the time you get back, space ants have eaten everyone. Then I might actually respond emotionally to the story.

I would've liked the quests to be more dynamic, like some of the better Bethesda quests. As it is, instead of reading "Kill x and click y", I'm going to listen to some alien saying "Glarby garble glark!" while I read "Kill x and click y"? No. No I am not.

Not unique to SWTOR at all. I was hoping they'd, you know, do something different than every other MMO. (Oh wait they did - VOICE ACTING!)

I almost wish I HAD to listen to what the dude said in order to complete the quest - like, if I wasn't paying attention, I could frag the whole thing up. And again - I would've loved for the first sidequest to be a guy saying "We're under attack by giant space ants! Can you help us?" and if you say no, this space ant eats him alive in front of you, and that's that. Or if you say yes, but run off to collect another quest first, by the time you get back, space ants have eaten everyone. Then I might actually respond emotionally to the story.

I would've liked the quests to be more dynamic, like some of the better Bethesda quests. As it is, instead of reading "Kill x and click y", I'm going to listen to some alien saying "Glarby garble glark!" while I read "Kill x and click y"? No. No I am not.

Another thing that I wish that this game had that a lot of the Bethesda games have is the ability to kill the quest giver on a whim, complete with the fallout and ramifications of doing so. It would certainly add some more interesting things to do.

Game needs more chaos.

Why would you play the same class twice only to make the exact same decisions. Thats an unrealistic situation.

Why would you play the same class twice only to make the exact same decisions. Thats an unrealistic situation.

Exactly. There's no incentive to because it would be the exact same. The point I was trying to make is that if you added that element of chaos that I mentioned, the experience would not be the same even if I made all the same decisions. Things would differ with each successive play-through.

TL;DR = TheLonelyTusken, I agree about the marketing of this being story driven, but I wouldn’t bother trying to explain to non-story people. For them, it’s gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Sooner (hopefully) or later, they’ll find their gameplay that doesn’t involve kill-10, click 5… somewhere else. Until then, I’ll enjoy people looking for donuts in a hardware store.

To each his own, and you are right. Game is... a game. How dare people expect gameplay from a story driven MMO.

And, just because it's true: there's a Tim Horton's in the Rona store in my city.

(edit: just realized I'm a Canadian... the above line references a donut shop in a hardware store)

Edited by face_hindu

Good post OP. I don't mind the class storylines, but for every single quest? It's ridiculously boring and mind-numbing. I have more fun reading through my chemistry homework.

Wouldn't you rather listen to your chemistry teacher read it for you? Me neither. Your chemistry teacher has a stupid voice.