The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.2 New armor models!

Iwipe

That looks sexy but the helm (IMO) looks like something a Sith would wear, not a Jedi.

Edit: (To the entire thread) Perhaps something like this for a Jedi?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/14/sp_obi.jpg

Edited by Celwinn

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When designing new armour think FUNCTION!

What you design is primarily for wearing in combat.

If you are tempted to add something because it looks 'cool', stop and think. What does this big, flashy, sticky outie, glowing shoulder pad actually do in a combat situation?

Is it for protection from some sort of attack, will it get caught up in foliage, will it hinder the wearers movement or ability to fire a weapon.

It may be a fantasy game, but to my mind anyway, fantasy works best when you can rationalise or explain how something works or what it is for. i.e. it needs a solid grounding in common sense practicality and reality. Make it believable in other words.

The idea of putting any mod into any orange, its just a shame some really good stuff is just blue. But if this is the case i am never selling any old **** every again because there were some really awesome outfits that were level 13 i would LOVE for my level 48 Marauder. Simple dark robes of red and black, hooded.. awesome.

I have the esseles robe for my Sentinal that i am NEVER going to sell, since its perfect and all i want (even if he is level III dark side and i want a black version.. Dyes anyone?)

I can't help but think of the image i saw for new epic Marauder armour that was bright read with a huge helmet with massive horns and spikes on the shoulders and the sorcerer armour was Skeletor.. and i don't want to wear ANY of that. WoW in space i do not want. Awesome, simple, gritty, REALISTIC (sort of) armour.. is what i want seom star wars. Full masks and robes and robotic looking bits are fine, even some big(ish) gloves like those mantellian laninated hanguards are fine, but nothing more than that

Edited by Neopopulas

Here's an open question in regards to that.

We always have to balance two things with armor. On the one hand, there's the gameplay requirement of "Make high level, very exclusive armor look like it's unique and powerful so other players can see that at a glance".

On the other, there's the aesthetics requirement - to make clothing echo the simple, almost plain looking clothing that's seen on some characters in the Star Wars saga. That led, in part, to orange gear in the game, which allows you to have an iconic appearance that doesn't suggest your gear's statistics.

The question is, how do you balance that? Arguably Obi-Wan's robes in Episode IV are very 'low level' in appearance. Would you want to see that as an armor set for a high level character? Would you not be concerned that players would see you as low-level? Or do aesthetics trump gameplay for you?

Mhh... I would say it should be more based on the current situation of the factions.

If you have a look at the original trilogy you will see very simple costumes as you already mentioned. But if you have a look at the prequels you see very detailed and pompous costumes. It's like looking at Germany pre and post war.

Gear should be more according to the circumstances. I think there's a little to much bling bling atm. And who the heck came up with feathers? Bit too far out of the box IMHO.

I would like to see more torn and worn robes and amours with faded and dull colour schemes.

Edited by GorZie

My main opinion is that I have a hard time understanding the penchant that alot of mmo artists have for over the top shoulders. As has been said, I think with the possible exception of certain social costumes, that should be obviously out of place in this game.

Yeah, wow does it, but that doesn't mean it fits here. I see some of the gear and i'm almost ok with it until I see some of the things that are strapped to shoulders and even the back.

My suggestion for making armor unique would be to perhaps focus more on making unique textures and colors/patterns, rather than trying to come up with weird new geometry to strap to heads and shoulders.

Mhh... I would say it should be more based on the current situation of the factions.

If you have a look at the original trilogy you will see very simple costumes as you already mentioned. But if you have a look at the prequels you see very detailed and pompous costumes. It's like looking at Germany pre and post war.

Gear should be more according to the circumstances. I think there's a little to much bling bling atm. And who the heck came up with feathers? Bit too far out of the box IMHO.

I would like to see more torn and worn robes and amours with faded and dull colour schemes.

Its also about.. what are you using it for. The social/cosmetic stuff. Look at The prequels for an example. The hair, the costumes (queen of naboo, anyone) even the senators. BUT, then look at Amadella. huge hair things, massive dresses and robes. But then she goes to kick some *** and she's basically in a tank top and jeans by comparison. ARMOUR, and combat outfits should look functional, simplistic and minimal.

Ceremonial or social outfits should be huge and showy.

My main opinion is that I have a hard time understanding the penchant that alot of mmo artists have for over the top shoulders. As has been said, I think with the possible exception of certain social costumes, that should be obviously out of place in this game.

Yeah, wow does it, but that doesn't mean it fits here. I see some of the gear and i'm almost ok with it until I see some of the things that are strapped to shoulders and even the back.

My suggestion for making armor unique would be to perhaps focus more on making unique textures and colors/patterns, rather than trying to come up with weird new geometry to strap to heads and shoulders.

I think, at least to start with, and way back when, i'd almost say everything was exaggerated so people could see it. The massively oversized, shiny, glowy weapons, the huge armour pieces, so people with smaller screens can SEE what they have (which i still find silly).

But then look at games like LOTRO, which doesn't have hugely oversized weapons (for the most part) or massive armour (again, for the most part. But it proves that you don't NEED the massive, ridiculous looking things to look cool

Edited by Neopopulas

Mostly, I just want a Custom quality version of the Resilient Durasteel Body Armor for my Juggernaut.

I'd like to see less instances where the male version of an armor design is all encompassing, while the female version is a tube top. I don't begrudge the existence of flesh-baring female armor designs per se, but I wish they were paired with male designs that showed nearly as much skin. Like an open vest on a bare chest. That'd be nice.

Its also about.. what are you using it for. The social/cosmetic stuff. Look at The prequels for an example. The hair, the costumes (queen of naboo, anyone) even the senators. BUT, then look at Amadella. huge hair things, massive dresses and robes. But then she goes to kick some *** and she's basically in a tank top and jeans by comparison. ARMOUR, and combat outfits should look functional, simplistic and minimal.

Ceremonial or social outfits should be huge and showy

I totally agree. It's like going camping in a smoking or to formal meeting in your swimmers.

Ceremonial or social outfits should be huge and showy.

I think, at least to start with, and way back when, i'd almost say everything was exaggerated so people could see it. The massively oversized, shiny, glowy weapons, the huge armour pieces, so people with smaller screens can SEE what they have (which i still find silly).

But then look at games like LOTRO, which doesn't have hugely oversized weapons (for the most part) or massive armour (again, for the most part. But it proves that you don't NEED the massive, ridiculous looking things to look cool

I agree. I had played lotro for years. My favorite piece is still one of the hooded cloaks from I believe Forochel rep. I think, been a while. It had a fur like texture and interesting pattern.

I agree. I had played lotro for years. My favorite piece is still one of the hooded cloaks from I believe Forochel rep. I think, been a while. It had a fur like texture and interesting pattern.

Hell i'm wearing the green horseman armour (/whatever) you got in the newest paid expansion thing, the one you got for preordering, which looks like a big tunic and a cloak, and thats in. (because the end-game raid gear i have on is all green with a giant skirt (JUST like the one i hate in SWTOR) and i hate the look of it..)

ALL end-game gear seems to be like that, in all games. The higher the level the more ridiculous it is, which is why i liked nothing more than when the cosmetic wardrobe came out and i didn't have to walk around in it anymore.

As of now, most armour looks like crap. And most of it looks ridiculous. It's really disappointing.

And helmets... sheesh... they look like were extracted from some medieval torture chamber.

1.2 doesn't seem to bring nothing really new.

At this point, I kind of hope they will be selling customization items for real money.

Personally, I think most of the armor looks fine. I think things would be pretty boring if all (or even many) of the endgame armor sets were limited to the same level of flashiness as what can be seen in the Star Wars movies.

How many robes do we need before they all start looking the same? In my opinion, not very many. I think low-level orange gear fills that niche pretty nicely already.

SWTOR is set a long time before the Star Wars movies and it would seem reasonable to expect changes in fashion/armor design over the intervening years, so I don't think deviating from the original is all that bad. Additionally, some characters in the movies do wear fairly flashy gear (Boba/Jango Fett, Princess Amidala, Lando Calrissian, Stormtroopers, Darth Vader).

Personally, the following things are pretty much the extent of what I think needs changing:

-Too many of the head pieces for Snipers and Smugglers cover the characters' eyes. It's reasonable that some would want to enhance their vision with fancy eyepieces, but some are cyborgs with their own enhancements, some don't want to be bothered, and soon some will be outright blind. Sure, we can just turn the head armor off, but it would be nice to have some options to show our head armor without badly obscuring our characters' faces.

-Too much Trooper armor has huge backpacks. Troopers don't need jetpacks like Bounty Hunters. More armor without huge backpacks would be nice.

-I think a lot of the more clothing-like armor for Smugglers in particular doesn't look right. It either fits too smoothly against the body (shorter jackets/vests buttoned too tightly, spandex pants), looks like a life preserver (ridiculous collars), or is a long flowing jacket/cape thing. More stuff like the Esseles Scoundrel's jacket (which has some interesting structure to it without being long and flowing or looking like a life preserver) would be appreciated.

-Fix the way that some of the Jedi Robes fall over male characters' butts. I hate the shelf-butt look.

Edited by Dzhokhar

Personally, I think most of the armor looks fine. I think things would be pretty boring if all (or even many) of the endgame armor sets were limited to the same level of flashiness as what can be seen in the Star Wars movies.

How many robes do we need before they all start looking the same? In my opinion, not very many. I think low-level orange gear fills that niche pretty nicely already.

SWTOR is set a long time before the Star Wars movies and it would seem reasonable to expect changes in fashion/armor design over the intervening years, so I don't think deviating from the original is all that bad. Additionally, some characters in the movies do wear fairly flashy gear (Boba/Jango Fett, Princess Amidala, Lando Calrissian, Stormtroopers, Darth Vader).

Personally, the following things are pretty much the extent of what I think needs changing:

-Too many of the head pieces for Snipers and Smugglers cover the characters' eyes. It's reasonable that some would want to enhance their vision with fancy eyepieces, but some are cyborgs with their own enhancements, some don't want to be bothered, and soon some will be outright blind. Sure, we can just turn the head armor off, but it would be nice to have some options to show our head armor without badly obscuring our characters' faces.

-Too much Trooper armor has huge backpacks. Troopers don't need jetpacks like Bounty Hunters. More armor without huge backpacks would be nice.

-I think a lot of the more clothing-like armor for Smugglers in particular doesn't look right. It either fits too smoothly against the body (shorter jackets/vests buttoned too tightly, spandex pants), looks like a life preserver (ridiculous collars), or is a long flowing jacket/cape thing. More stuff like the Esseles Scoundrel's jacket (which has some interesting structure to it without being long and flowing or looking like a life preserver) would be appreciated.

-Fix the way that some of the Jedi Robes fall over male characters' butts. I hate the shelf-butt look.

Darth Vader is about the only thing in that list that i would consider 'flashy' and even compared to most of the end-game stuff its pretty tame. I would certainly not consider flat-white armour of the stormtroopers flashy and Fett just worth what amounted to Mando armour and that would be amazing to have something like that for the bounty hunter as opposed to some of the stuff..

But maybe i'm boring because i want to keep the Imperial Coordination Prototype jacket for as long as possible because it makes me look like the imperial space-nazi that i am. The only thing i worry about is that i'll end up having to change my BLUE imperial coordination leggings which match because they aren't orange and it will eventually break the style of the full-uniform that i have going. And that will make me sad.

Great feedback already; thank you for being specific and thoughtful. Keep it coming!

Mostly I make it either/or for discussion, that's all. It's not a maxim.

We hope we're letting you make more choices in Game Update 1.2 (and will continue down that path). That said, there will always be some players, I believe, who want to be able to wear the 'absolute best' or 'most rare' armor in the game - and we want them to feel that its default appearance is cool. Hence, this sort of discussion.

I'm leaving the office so won't be as frequent in this thread, but keep the thoughts coming, people. Thank you!

Both sets of Agent Gear are horrible imo, especially the color schemes. Agents are stealthy and sneaky. Can't they blend into their surroundings....how would I do that with ORANGE ARMOR. What you currently have planned for my class in 1.2 makes me feel like I'm going to be playing another game with Star Wars sounds.

How about some helms that are like actual helmets and not Halloween masks. I would like some type of helmet piece that was like a an earpiece with a microphone.

Example: I will be using the full vendetta set with the Medic (lvl 47) helm and Scorpion belt and stripping mods for it until 1.3 comes out.

PS: Have the art team for Snipers/Operatives watch your intro video for my class....look at those out fits. http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111104

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/imperial-agent-character-progression

Edited by Shadowsdarth

As an addendum to my past post.

Another thing that I think is missing from SWTOR as a whole is a general sense that the Star Wars universe is a dirty place. Particularly in the original trilogy, everything is dirty (with the exception of Imperial starships and their contents, including people).

In SWTOR, most things, including armor, look pretty clean. Trooper armor streaked with dirt/rust, dull/faded Bounty Hunter armor, bloody/stained clothing and Jedi/Sith robes/armor, all of these things would probably make things feel more Star Warsy. These are also things that could help distinguish between lower and higher level gear. A higher level character's gear is going to have a lot more signs of having been well-used than a lower level character's gear.

Edited by Dzhokhar

As an addendum to my past post.

Another thing that I think is missing from SWTOR as a whole is a general sense that the Star Wars universe is a dirty place. Particularly in the original trilogy, everything is dirty (with the exception of Imperial starships and their contents, including people).

In SWTOR, most things, including armor, look pretty clean. Trooper armor streaked with dirt/rust, dull/faded Bounty Hunter armor, bloody/stained clothing and Jedi/Sith robes/armor, all of these things would probably make things feel more Star Warsy. These are also things that could help distinguish between lower and higher level gear. A higher level character's gear is going to have a lot more signs of having been well-used than a lower level character's gear.

I don't think rusting armor is very Star Warsy because the materials are so advanced that they don't even rust. Anything bulletproof is probably not going to rust.

First off I will admit I hadn't read every single response to this thread, but did read the developer responses.

I agree that the end game gear should have a degree of uniqueness that separates it from the rest, but feel some features are overly exaggerated making the end result look silly to people. For instance, the mercenary rakkata helm: the blade on top could look cool if it was shorter, but instead it is crazy tall like a shark fin. Another example would be the rakkata Juggernaut boots, which might look cool with smaller spikes in the front, instead they are crazy long making it look like they have really long toenails or something! Overall the new 1.2 sets look pretty good (better than previous raid gear imo), but there are some things that I feel where made too 'big' as well, such as the sorcerer pve set with the huge ornate things sticking out...if made smaller I feel it would still look unique but not make people scream about these huge things sticking from their armor. Basically go unique, just don't go overboard.

I do like the direction the game is going, allowing for removing mods from raid gear to put in other orange gear which should alleviate some of the complaints about the look of the high end gear. I know many people are screaming for simple robes for their force users, but as it stands even the low level robes are not particularly plain like in the movies. Maybe a low level orange set can be added that is simple with very little texture?

I suppose what i'm getting at is that I don't think that devising new and weird geometry to add to gear is the only way to make things look different or even "high level" unique.

As for your robe example, even a robe can have multiple variations using texture, color and pattern to be made to look remarkably different from one another. Rather than adding shoulder blades etc... And yet, they are all still robes.

I think lotro does a decent job in proving this as well as some of the great pics linked to in this thread.

Also, to keep the more mechanical looking designs for the classes where it would fit better.

I guess i'm just thinking that it would be better to stop relying so much on adding shapes as the only way to visually differentiate things. This isn't to say that considering new, interesting shapes for shoulders, head etc (especially for the BH where intersting helmets would definitely fit in) should be thrown out the window. Just that I don't think it should be the focus for all classes. And where it is considered, try to do so with a bit more restraint.

Again, this doesn't apply to social gear, that would be acceptable to have an elaborate, over the top theme.

Just my opinion though.

I don't think rusting armor is very Star Warsy because the materials are so advanced that they don't even rust. Anything bulletproof is probably not going to rust.

Boba Fett's helmet and blaster definitely have rust (and/or chipped rust-colored paint over metal). Trooper armor can be streaked with rust from metal pieces that connect the individual armor plates together (the connecting pieces rust, water/sweat washes the rust onto the white armor plates then the water evaporates, leaving rust stains). The point isn't so much about rust specifically as much as the fact that Star Wars is a dirty, lived-in world (which, for me, is a lot of its appeal). Having armor look dirty/worn would help SWTOR to look/feel more like the movies (especially the original trilogy).

Here's an open question in regards to that.

The question is, how do you balance that? Arguably Obi-Wan's robes in Episode IV are very 'low level' in appearance. Would you want to see that as an armor set for a high level character?

Yes! Star Wars was always about the grimy worn look in contrast to other sci-fi art of the time. I think you kind of missed a chance to differentiate yourselves from other franchises by not turning this into a Machima.

I absolutely think that if a player got the worn robes of the master jedi.. and those were hard to get.. other players would be impressed even if they did not make the character look like a sumurai chicken.

I play a smuggler and I still wear the same grey vest I have worn from my teens.. and I keep upgrading it.. and I think you for that choice. I don't know why all smuggler gear has to look like OK Corral.. but I applaud the choice to look more like that other guy.. you know.. with the vest..

Chris

I think one of the key problem is that devs have the Sith and the Jedi robes backwards. Jedi normally wore their hoods down while the Sith wore their hoods up. A simple fix to this would be to add some of the sith models to the republic and vice versa.

As for the end game gear BW needs to look at more source material. Head over to Lucasfilms and dig through the concept art of the series. Buy up some comics like SW: Legacy and Tales of the Jedi. Check out some of the games from LucasArts and see what other have done. Then start looking at our own culture. Egypt, Roman, Crusaders, Westerns, 1950 Sci-Fi.

Really we have the Iconic look in the game already for the most part but the current end game models to have a sense of silly to them, case in point the GIANT shoulders on JK robes

As a Consular all the models being put out and that are present in the live game are not nice, They look old and all torn up and colors are ugly, i hate wearing my PvP gear for this reason and would like to see more nicer gear like you have for the Knight's there stuff looks all nice and shiney and new, why do we have to dress like a street bum.