1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

fendergibson

Problem is, DAoC started the trend of gear grind. And it IS still around technically.

Only reason people think there needs to be a gear grind/gear based PvP is because that's all they know. You can't honestly say you would rather play a game where you have to grind before you can have fun over a game where you can have fun right from the start.

Not sure I'd agree with trend of gear - but abilities, yes. They had other supporting things which made it fun such as a portal with weekly stats, etc. Even how defunct warhammer was they at least had a portal upon release. Not perfect by any means it does give people something to oggle over I guess. It is fun.

Can I say? Not sure. I think I've been one to say I don't care about the gear per say but also want a form of progression. I'm not a huge fan of warzones and prefer the open world stuff. So I am already at a disadvantage when it comes to the current patch. I get tired of looking at the same landscape time and time again. But this is just me.

Also, I have to admint I didn't see the grind like you are asking me. I kept my valor rank close to my level. I also saved a bag ahead of time, and the required 1000/1000 valor which came naturally because I did warzones frequently enough. I guess I got lucky with a champion chest piece, then bought the rest. Honestly it didn't seem to be a grind and honestly fell into place as I would expect.

If you remove gear - that is fine. Just provide something else other than color because I probably won't play in that field. However, if you provide a portal, with some weekly stats, or tie something to world pvp, then I'd probably enjoy it.

Portal Stats

Bounty board (for world pvp to address ganking)

Legacy something

Space combat

See - I'm not hell bent on gear. I honestly don't care. I do care though that they made a lot of changes from retail to present and people are saying it isn't enough. That makes me believe people are just lazy and hiding behind the deltas. We have already listed how to obtain the gear, how quick it is, the changes made to obtain it, and lastly the stat delta's.

Lastly - if you get something like you want then you need to remove the possibility of people bringing in PvE items to a PvP game. You can't have it both ways and a single stat difference isn't going to solve it. Both sets have bonus requirements and we have seen from other games relics, trinkets, and weapons can make someone with mixed PvP and PvE gear a insta-gib God.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look at several of the other prominent PvP games prior to this and what did they do?

While I do get the point you were trying to make in your post the biggest flaw in the argument comes from the fact that the ONLY one to claim any kind of success with the current MMO model of gear grind > skilled play is WoW.

AoC - flopped

WAR - flopped

DarkFail - great, then they added the "grind" that everyone seems to want. Then the game became boring and time > all. Macro/bot/exploits abound. Soon after it became DarkFAIL.

Aion - Flop over here (success in the east. But then again they LOVE grind over there, hence the term Korean Grinder)

etc etc

DaoC was great for a time

Planetside was great for a time

GW was great for a LONG time comparitively to most non-WoW mmo's.

WoW isn't a great comparison because frankly it's just WoW. It's going to be successful because it is successful. Everyone knows it's the MMO with millions of players and huge financial backing. By default people will gravitate to it. The problem most PvP mmo's have is they start off great and appeal to the PvP community. This is a niche community. It's small, and will never be as big as WoW. Period.

But then, inevitably some douche in a suit probably, they decide to try and cater to the WoW crowd and change the nature of the game to give more grind, more carrots on sticks, more wow-esque gameplay and what happens is that the pvp crowd gets sick of it, and the wow-crowd just goes back to wow anyways in the end because hell, it's fricken wow and already has millions of players (along with characters that already have years of time investment put into them, guilds, friends, etc).

My point being that the whole carrot on a stick mentality for PvP is complete WoW-ism. It will fail, it's doomed to fail. What's needed is a competitive skill based pvp atmosphere that is FUN and ENGAGING. Not driven by abusing the addictive nature of gamers (the carrot on a stick) to cover up uninteresting gameplay.

Personally I believe swtor's pvp is pretty fun and engaging. Sure new maps would be nice but they will come as long as the community is there to support their inclusion. Sure there's some class tweaks that should happen (*cough*non-concealment Ops/mirror are crap and need buffs *cough*). Still it has the potential without resorting to artificial grind mechanics in order to trick people's addictive personalities into staying.

While I do get the point you were trying to make in your post the biggest flaw in the argument comes from the fact that the ONLY one to claim any kind of success with the current MMO model of gear grind > skilled play is WoW.

I only mentioned the one because it is also a e-sport, has rated play, and has a gear requirement. Even outside of that - it fails because they can't balance classes right, pvp and pve gear, and as you said. Still need to work up the corporate ladder as it relates to objects :)

Although I could be 100% wrong with the e-sport though which doesn't help my argument I guess. I believe in the tournaments they use the same gear across the board. So while that is true, you can't get past the comp groups which is another issue - balance.

BTW - looking at that list I've played all those you listed with the exception of GW and Darkfail.

Although I could be 100% wrong with the e-sport though which doesn't help my argument I guess. I believe in the tournaments they use the same gear across the board. So while that is true, you can't get past the comp groups which is another issue - balance.

This is true. In tournaments the gear is standardized for everyone because you cannot have true competitive play with gear differences. Even then though, by it's own players, it's considered a joke and basically the clown game of "e-sports".

And yes comp balance is moronic. My buddy and I worked our asses off to get glad as prot-war and holy pally (tank and heals ftw) back when I had to use a gimmicky dual wield devastate spec in fury gear. It was worth it, but so much of an upward battle the rage it induced was astounding (yes we knew it was a non-viable comp but dammit that's what we wanted to play). On the other hand we made a RMP team for lulz and coasted our way to our glad mounts. 90% of breaking the top ranking barrier is choosing the right class combination. Couldn't ever go wrong with RMP and then depending on patch you could roll with whatever FotM team was at the time. When DK's first came out... well lets just say you had to have eaten paint chips in order to NOT get gladiator with any team comprised of DK/Ret Pally/ other class.

BTW - looking at that list I've played all those you listed with the exception of GW and Darkfail.

Me too. You didn't miss much with Darkfail. It coulda been great, then the grind. oh the grind. PvP died, everyone hid in the protection of npc cities and afk-macro-grinded stats all day. Huge zerg ****** alliances. Yeah, it just turned to poo.

Force forbid players actually pvp for fun and prestige and not gear. I miss the times when best gear was more of a prestige thing than anything, offering mere 1-2% advantage.

They're quitting? Good. Likely, those are the kind of MMOers I wouldn't want to play with anyway - the entitled, obnoxious man-children who turn the community into a toxic cesspool.

Edited by Helig

BioWare should implement a matchmaking system that matches players with similar gear.

This will alleviate the problem that arises in many MMO's, in which new players are matched up with geared veteran players or premades.

This matchmaking system will make the game funner IMO. Winning a WZ with players that have similar gear to you will be fairer and than winning because you are full BM gear and are going against new 50's with greens and zero expertise.

Thus, having a reward for being a top ranked WZ group would be better accepted because they would be matched up with groups that have similar gear and skill level.

This, of course, will not work without cross server pvp due to the limited number of players in a single realm.

BioWare should implement a matchmaking system that matches players with similar gear.

This will alleviate the problem that arises in many MMO's, in which new players are matched up with geared veteran players or premades.

This matchmaking system will make the game funner IMO. Winning a WZ with players that have similar gear to you will be fairer and than winning because you are full BM gear and are going against new 50's with greens and zero expertise.

Thus, having a reward for being a top ranked WZ group would be better accepted because they would be matched up with groups that have similar gear and skill level.

This, of course, will not work without cross server pvp due to the limited number of players in a single realm.

Then they would have to forbid changing gear in Warzones as you could exploit your way to play with lesser geared players while you can switch to your BIS gear when you enter the game.

No progression = No players.

Progression =/= better gear.

Moving up the rankings = progression.

People that demand "progression" gear in pvp = not real pvpers.

Edited by Gadian

Progression =/= better gear.

Moving up the rankings = progression.

People that demand "progression" gear in pvp = not real pvpers.

I agree. Progression is ranking. Gear progression is a gimmick. If anything, superior gear rewards for competitive play do not encourage competitive play - they make the community toxic, instead. Fancier shorts for the boxer? Sure, why not.

Lead plates in his gloves? Why not a gun, while we're at it?

Edited by Helig

This whole topic is dumb, PvP should be skill first gear 2nd. The whole purpose of competitive PvP is when you check my character panel, see my PvP rating is higher than yours and me LOLing at you cause I am better than you, and its justified cause my little number is better than your little number.

That's pretty much it. Better gear gives you slight advantage and they are lowering difference between fresh 50s and elites. That's all good because when you check out LvL and Items, skill is onlything that decide.

Force forbid players actually pvp for fun and prestige and not gear. I miss the times when best gear was more of a prestige thing than anything, offering mere 1-2% advantage.

They're quitting? Good. Likely, those are the kind of MMOers I wouldn't want to play with anyway - the entitled, obnoxious man-children who turn the community into a toxic cesspool.

Great point. I quit wow because pvp was more work than fun. You can't learn how to pvp if you are constantly getting steamed rolled, because you don't have a chance to see what works. Look at fps games. People get the gear combo they want and stick with it most of the time. Their skill is what they progress and are just happy playing the game. I love the pvp in this game. I have a chance because the field is level and I get to activly see what tactiks work better. I don't want to spend 60 hours getting steamed rolled grinding for gear just to be barly viable in a pvp match with the lowest tier of pvp gear. A game should not be work it should be fun. stop crying you snobby SOB's who want the game to be easyer for you because you dont have any thing else going for you in your real lifes other than a game.

Edited by Ruugan

I've never quite understood why some players "need" a gear grind. From a developer point of view it makes sense to me, but from the player point of view it doesn't. We all like shiny new gear, but I'm talking about the people whose sole purpose is to acquire gear.

It's like that guy we've all met before that "finishes" characters and never touches them again. He spent all that time getting gear, but doesn't want to play that character anymore and enjoy all the effort he put into it. I'd rather enjoy playing the game than having more satisfaction looking at my character panel. :confused:

I've never quite understood why some players "need" a gear grind. From a developer point of view it makes sense to me, but from the player point of view it doesn't. We all like shiny new gear, but I'm talking about the people whose sole purpose is to acquire gear.

It's like that guy we've all met before that "finishes" characters and never touches them again. He spent all that time getting gear, but doesn't want to play that character anymore and enjoy all the effort he put into it. I'd rather enjoy playing the game than having more satisfaction looking at my character panel. :confused:

Thats how WoW did it.

WoW introduced some 10 million (?) people to MMOs, and for many it seems, thats what MMOs are suppose to do. Thats end game, grinding for BiS.

No need for anything else to do, that would just be spending valuable development time thats better spent making the next tier of gear. :(

Just an opinion.

Edited by Tic-

Says the guy with limited pvp experience and no understanding of the history of pvp in mmogs and what players want.

Never ending stat progression in pvp significantly lessens the quality of the gameplay. Creating inferior gameplay is not how you keep players. There will be all sorts of ways to progress in p pvp. Also if you need stats you are free to play pve all you want.

Low ceiling gear caps in pvp signigicantly improve the quality of game play and that is good.

Every post of yours I read, it seems you are trying to convince yourself how you feel.

I don't have enough gaming or "PVP experience" to know what I am talking about?

I am 30 years old, been playing PVP PC games professionally and competitively since 2003, I was in the CAL leagues for counter strike 1.6 and source, and have been flown around the world to tournaments and played for cash prizes for years. As far as MMO's go, I have been playing them since 1997. I have been playing games in general since pong.

I unlike you, I have enough sense to know that "REAL PVPERS"( a word you use and cherish so much) know that MMO's aren't the place to go to get fair and equal PVP. Even outside of gear, datacrons, and stims, the class balancing act is impossible to ever make viably equal enough to be taken as a serious e sport.

MMO's are about time sinks, and character or gear progression, and vanity items and titles aren't enough to keep ppl paying a monthly sub, I have seen it happen before, and it's happening now, some serious MMOers are leaving the game because it simply too easy, on all fronts.

The game will never be truley balanced or fair, why make us all have the same gear?

Like I said earlier many times, two months from after 1.2 launches, most of us will all have the same gear in endgame, and the same color. It will be boring there will be nothing to work for. Stats? bragging rights? Hell obviously with my gaming history mentioned above, I could get all that, and more than 4 maps from a buy to play game, and when I need that instant gratification fix, I go play an arcade fighter online, or an FPS.

Unlike you, I can also admit there are other ppl on the other side of the fence who want to try out the fair even gear playing field, that's fine, But I feel the way I do for obvious reasons mentioned above , and other gamers share my opinion too. It's all a perspective issue for the most part.

And time will tell who is right in the end, as far as this games PVP's success goes.

Edited by Dego_Locc

Every post of yours I read, it seems you are trying to convince yourself how you feel.

I am 30 years old, been playing PVP PC games professionally and competitively since 2003, I was in the CAL leagues for counter strike 1.6 and source, and have been flown around the world to tournaments and played for cash prizes for years. As far as MMO's go, I have been playing them since 1997. I have been playing games in general since pong.

I unlike you, I have enough sense to know that "REAL PVPERS"( a word you use and cherish so much) know that MMO's aren't the place to go to get fair and equal PVP. Even outside of gear, datacrons, and stims, the class balancing act is impossible to ever make viably equal enough to be taken as a serious e sport.

MMO's are about time sinks, and character or gear progression, and vanity items and titles aren't enough to keep ppl paying a monthly sub, I have seen it happen before, and it's happening now, some serious MMOers are leaving the game because it simply too easy, on all fronts.

The game will never be truley balanced or fair, why make us all have the same gear?

Like I said earlier many times, two months from after 1.2 launches, most of us will all have the same gear in endgame, and the same color. It will be boring there will be nothing to work for. Stats? bragging rights? Hell obviously with my gaming history mentioned above, I could get all that, and more than 4 maps from a buy to play game, and when I need that instant gratification fix, I go play an arcade fighter online, or an fps.

Lol wut. You have very little mmog pvp experience and clearly don't understand what mmog pvp players want. Every one of your posts magnifies it.

Lol wut. You have very little mmog pvp experience and clearly don't understand what mmog pvp players want. Every one of your posts magnifies it.

You have very little understanding that you simply don't know everything, Every one of your posts magnifies it.

UO

EQ 1 & 2

pre cu/SWG

DAoC

Vandgaurd

Hero's of Ruin

WAR

I've been around the block as far as MMO's And I only listed the ones I played for years. There have been a few others I test drove, but weren't for me.

Again read what I wrote after edit..............

Like I said earlier many times, two months from after 1.2 launches, most of us will all have the same gear in endgame, and the same color. It will be boring there will be nothing to work for. Stats? bragging rights? Hell obviously with my gaming history mentioned above, I could get all that, and more than 4 maps from a buy to play game, and when I need that instant gratification fix, I go play an arcade fighter online, or an FPS.

Unlike you, I can also admit there are other ppl on the other side of the fence who want to try out the fair even gear playing field, that's fine, But I feel the way I do for obvious reasons mentioned above , and other gamers share my opinion too. It's all a perspective issue for the most part.

And time will tell who is right in the end, as far as this games PVP's success goes.

Edited by Dego_Locc

This whole topic is dumb, PvP should be skill first gear 2nd. The whole purpose of competitive PvP is when you check my character panel, see my PvP rating is higher than yours and me LOLing at you cause I am better than you, and its justified cause my little number is better than your little number.

Take a good long hard look at WoW's Arena history, it was most popular in Seasons 1 and 2, and why was it at its most popular? Its because everyone had access to the same gear and it was achievable by anyone willing to put the time in, the better player you were the faster you got your gears. Look at their tournament realms and even their e-sport competitions, everyone has access to the same gear. Once they introduced a rating req for gear Arena participation greatly and steadily declined as well as led to terrible gaming practices like win trading, carrying of baddies for gold/rl money etc.......

BW is on the right track, and remember 1.2 launches just a PRE-SEASON, they technically do not need to give out anything for participating and when it comes down to it a good high rated player does not rely on gear for

a less skilled player does, and with an equal gear footing there is no excuses, skill >

everything

Thanks god there is still Players like you in mmo nowadays. Finally someone who understand what competitive pvp really means. The mmo world is unfortunately crippled with brainwashed people having to run after a carot.

Edited by Bocherel

Truncated for length. Sorry Dego.

I understand where you're coming from on your point of view, I also enjoy grinding from time to time. I enjoy timesinks, or else I wouldn't be playing a MMO.

I also enjoy character progression, and know that it's an important part of the RPG experience to feel like your character is getting stronger over time. I also understand that outside of gaining levels, the only tangible way to increase a character's "power" is through new gear.

However, I also understand the atmosphere of fair play that BW is trying to promote w/ the Rated Warzone system. In this aspect of the game, I believe it's more important to hold to the integrity of competition than to simply increase peoples' stats so they can "feel" like their character is improving in a linear fashion.

Additionally, I think that during this time, instead of the character itself improving through stats, the player behind the character should be improving, and this is usually reflected in the performance of the on-screen avatar.

PvE and PvP are not the same style of gaming, and I think that most people can at least agree on that. They do not need the same style of progression.

When it comes to killing other players, it should be as fair as possible given the difference in classes, team composition, and tactics. Player skill needs to be the deciding factor in victories for Rated Warzones to be taken seriously by anyone.

players who need a gear grind have more time than skill

Well heres what im getting out of your post OP. You play the game way too much and expected a super hard gear grind that you can dump countless hours into. Wrong. If you want everything to be boring grind You can sub to WoW. Ranked warzones are rewarding the skilled players first and the weaker players last. If you want your gear you have to be good, something you may or may not need to work on, and if you are good then climb the ladders and be better then everyone else.

I understand where you're coming from on your point of view, I also enjoy grinding from time to time. I enjoy timesinks, or else I wouldn't be playing a MMO.

I also enjoy character progression, and know that it's an important part of the RPG experience to feel like your character is getting stronger over time. I also understand that outside of gaining levels, the only tangible way to increase a character's "power" is through new gear.

However, I also understand the atmosphere of fair play that BW is trying to promote w/ the Rated Warzone system. In this aspect of the game, I believe it's more important to hold to the integrity of competition than to simply increase peoples' stats so they can "feel" like their character is improving in a linear fashion.

Additionally, I think that during this time, instead of the character itself improving through stats, the player behind the character should be improving, and this is usually reflected in the performance of the on-screen avatar.

PvE and PvP are not the same style of gaming, and I think that most people can at least agree on that. They do not need the same style of progression.

When it comes to killing other players, it should be as fair as possible given the difference in classes, team composition, and tactics. Player skill needs to be the deciding factor in victories for Rated Warzones to be taken seriously by anyone.

Thank you, and I too understand where you are coming from. I prefer open world PVP, and lets face it, there is no way to control that as far as fair goes, but losing was still fun, just being part of a siege of a keep where there are 100's of ppl battling, THAT it what I love about MMO's pvp-wise. I just feel that as far as "Rated or ranking" warzones, it cool idea or whatever, but PVP in MMO's just has too many variables to be considered a competitive fair e sport. Like I said, even when we all have the same gear, there are some ppl who have all the datacrons, some won't, there will be ppl who use the best stims, while some use the average, and some don't use any, and some classes are straight out better than others, in certain situations or scenarios.

I just don't think it will work, or if it does, it will never be taken seriously among the e sport community just like WoW, isn't. There are way better games suited for competitive PVP instead of MMO's. Is my main point, and I think its funny all the talk of "real pvpers" and "real skill" and how since my opinion differs than their, I must have no idea what I am talking about, ect. ect.

TL: DR, I play MMO's for different reasons than I play real professional e sports. And to be honest I have always found them refreshingly different, and a good break from constant memory movement practice and scrims. But I totally get where you're coming from, and what you'd like to achieve, I just don't see it happening, tbh, Time will tell.

Edited by Dego_Locc

Thank you, and I too understand where you are coming from. I prefer open world PVP, and lets face it, there is no way to control that as far as fair goes, but losing was still fun, just being part of a siege of a keep where there are 100's of ppl battling, THAT it what I love about MMO's pvp-wise. I just feel that as far as "Rated or ranking" warzones, it cool idea or what ever, but PVP in MMO's just has too many variables to be considered a competitive fair e sport. Like I said, even when we all have the same gear, there are some ppl who have all the datacrons, some won't, there will be ppl who use the best stims, while some use the average, and some don't use any, and some classes are straight out better than others, in better situations.

I just don't think it will work, or if it does, it will never be taken seriously among the e sport community just like WoW, isn't.

TL: DR, I play MMO's for different reasons than I play real professional e sports. And to be honest I have always found them refreshingly different, and a good break from constant memory movement practice and scrims. But I totally get where you're coming from, and what you'd like to achieve, I just don't see it happening, tbh, Time will tell.

I definitely don't see this going e-sport unless some very sweeping changes are made. I didn't mean THAT seriously, lol.

But at least w/in the realm of SWTOR, as "fair" as can be, y'know?

I think the real issue at hand here is that BW just has no clue what they're doing w/ world PvP (which is also my favorite PvP too). I'm not talking about Ilum's many design failures; just look at the rest of the game. All of the planets are set up in a manner that main hubs are ridiculously far removed.

On most planets, I had NO idea where the Republic sections even were when leveling the first time; some planets, I didn't think had a Rep section at all. It's all wrong for world PvP. There's nowhere for opposing factions to meet while questing, unless you count the Bonus Mission areas that very few people traverse.

All of the places that might be ripe for attack to draw out defenders are guarded by lv50 elites that will completely demolish you. The ones that aren't? All of the NPC's are friendly to you, so you won't actually be disrupting anything; ie: no one is going to be coming to fight you, because nobody even cares that you're there.

Look at the Fleets and their FP portals, destroying any opportunity for geared or leveling players to even encounter one another while converging on FP entrances on the planets.

I feel your pain on that issue acutely, as THAT is the avenue when all your gear, etc, should be coming into play. Anything goes, winner take all, leave your excuses at the door style PvP.

I just don't seek that in Rated Warzones, y'know? World PvP is like street football, whereas Rated Warzones are regulation leagues.

Edited by Varicite

This game will never be an eSport, way too many variables and too many gear dependencies.

Guild Wars 1 was an eSport game because it was all about skill, i played GW1 for 3y and tbh there was no competitive game like that. A game to be competitive need to be skill based and not gear dependent, gear has no place in real PvP, ppl has to be all at the same gear level and only differed by their skill, so... this game is not an eSport and will never be, unless many stuff changes.

Imo and since the game is in this actual state, gear should be rank dependent you cant equip a War Hero piece if you are not a War Hero, it doesn't make sense try to make this game competitive when this game has nothing to do with competition it wasn't designed for that, for that to work out there are way other concerns, like class balance and game mechanics that just don't fit the competitive world. How you want to be competitive when healers can spam, there are 1000 stuns in game, all classes do exactly the same.. and so on... the game is badly designed for PvP and completely a joke in Competitive PvP.

I'm an advocate of them doing away with gear entirely or making it so easy to get that everyone can get it with little effort. This allows for skilled players to shine, and poor players to at least have a little fun before they get destroyed.

Myself and my guildies who pvp do so not because of the rewards but because its fun, and we like playing together. We like winning together for sure, but also love a good match - win or lose.

We are looking forward to more competitive pvp, to greater challenges against other organized teams. I hope this game continues to make its rewards easy to achieve, as that allows all players to focus more on learning to play as groups, and to come up with unique strats for encounters instead of just grinding out the time somewhere so that you can feel competitive.