Tab-target: bad implementation or worst implementation ever?

GreymaneAlpha

Tab-target (target next enemy) is amazing broken and unintuitive in this game. Unlike in every other MMO I've ever played, tab seems not to prioritize targets in front of you. Which leads to awesome behavior like "I hit tab to try to target the guy 20 feet directly ahead of me, but I ended up targeting the guy 15 feet to the right of me".

I rage every single time I play this game about how bad tab-target is. Every battlemaster I talk to complains about this. How is this not being addressed?

But back to the basic question: bad implementation or worst implementation ever?

I just changed tab to target closest enemy and I am fine now.

This is insufficient, because it doesn't help me target someone that's ahead of me (like I often want) when there's someone nearby me.

I have both bound, but target closest enemy is almost completely useless if you're not a melee class.

Tab-target (target next enemy) is amazing broken and unintuitive in this game. Unlike in every other MMO I've ever played, tab seems not to prioritize targets in front of you. Which leads to awesome behavior like "I hit tab to try to target the guy 20 feet directly ahead of me, but I ended up targeting the guy 15 feet to the right of me".

I rage every single time I play this game about how bad tab-target is. Every battlemaster I talk to complains about this. How is this not being addressed?

But back to the basic question: bad implementation or worst implementation ever?

Not great, but far from worst. If you ever played DCUO you would know real pain. You think targeting an enemy to your right 15m away is bad? Try 5 - 6 guys around you and you target the barrel that is at the back of the room...that was the worst targeting system ever.

Edited by Jaymanus

Not great, but far from worst. If you ever played DCUO you would know real pain. You think targeting an enemy to your right 15m away is bad? Try 5 - 6 guys around you and you target the barrel that is at the back of the room...that was the worst targeting system ever.

I'm not familiar with this "DCUO" of which you speak.

But that does indeed sound bad.

I'll agree it's annoying, but it works better than what it really could (and probably should considering where time was placed and such) have been. It's probably just looking bad right now because it is harder to click on people for various reasons(people kind of have a literal field, but in some places that is off the character for some reason, or the fact that you can't click on nameplates).

Really, once it's easier to click on people(come 1.2) then it shouldn't be so bad. Definitely not rage-worthy.

And to clarify for some: Target next target is default binded to tab, but that's not the only target option. There are 4: target next target, target nearest target, target next friendly target, and target nearest friendly target. There are differences between the "next" and "nearest" types, so that's a noteworthy point.

Ill second this... it needs to be looked at. Its insanely frustrating in huttball to try to tab target a guy right in front of you, only to freaking charge someone to the right, whos not even in my center of vision. But I do beleive that Bioware is doing a really good job of fixing stuff, so expect this one to get ironed out as well.

Another thing they need to work on is the actual target reticle. its just to difficult to see sometimes.

Edited by mindriot

i really haven't noticed it being to terrible other than one major flaw, sometimes while tab targeting in combat it will target npcs not currently in combat if you happen to be in range to attack them, which gets annoying.

Ill second this... it needs to be looked at. Its insanely frustrating in huttball to try to tab target a guy right in front of you, only to freaking charge someone to the right, whos not even in my center of vision. But I do beleive that Bioware is doing a really good job of fixing stuff, so expect this one to get ironed out as well.

Another thing they need to work on is the actual target reticle. its just to difficult to see sometimes.

This is exactly the kind of situations that make me frustrated with the game.

And yeah, it's made much worse because it's often very hard to see WHO you're actually targeting sometimes, and the fact that click-targeting people (with your mouse) is super hard doesn't help, which is made much harder by not being able to click on healthbar/nameplates above people's heads

Yeah, it can be annoying at times in PvP. But, like many things, it's supposed to be getting fixed in 1.2. It's little issues like this that slowly get ironed out in MMO's as they get older. Should it have worked properly at release? Probably. Is SWTOR the first game to have this issue at launch? Not at all. The key to playing a new MMO is patience.

Yeah, it can be annoying at times in PvP. But, like many things, it's supposed to be getting fixed in 1.2. It's little issues like this that slowly get ironed out in MMO's as they get older. Should it have worked properly at release? Probably. Is SWTOR the first game to have this issue at launch? Not at all. The key to playing a new MMO is patience.

Little issues like this that get slowly ironed out? You kidding? This is just a simple basic feature any developer or QA beta testers playing the game in pve or pvp would quickly realize. It's a common sense no brainer feature that should not require a patch 4 months later to fix.

Edited by scootshoot

Little issues like this that get slowly ironed out? You kidding? This is just a simple basic feature any developer or QA beta testers playing the game in pve or pvp would quickly realize. It's a common sense no brainer feature that should not require a patch 4 months later to fix.

As accurately targeting something is the most important and first step towards being useful in combat, I absolutely agree with you.

I can tell by your sensationalist attitude that you're part of the Entitled Generation, and have never played an MMO at launch. Just to re-cap for you: WoW wasn't perfect at launch either, it's combat was pretty bugged and targeting wasn't as fluid as it is now.

Moral of the story is that no MMO is going to be perfect in every area 3 months after it's released. Posting your wildly unrealistic expectations on a forum isn't going to change that.

I can tell by your sensationalist attitude that you're part of the Entitled Generation, and have never played an MMO at launch. Just to re-cap for you: WoW wasn't perfect at launch either, it's combat was pretty bugged and targeting wasn't as fluid as it is now.

Moral of the story is that no MMO is going to be perfect in every area 3 months after it's released. Posting your wildly unrealistic expectations on a forum isn't going to change that.

It's laughable you are apologizing for a simple Targetting function that's broke, typical fan boy attitude.

I seem to remember targeting in WoW working quite nicely, thank you.

It's laughable you are apologizing for a simple Targetting function that's broke, typical fan boy attitude.

I'm not apologizing for anything, maybe you should look up the meaning of that simple word before using it. Also, I'm not a "fan boy". This game has it's fair share of problems, just check my post history if you don't agree with me.

What I find laughable is people that expect a company that's never made an MMO before to make an absolutely perfect game on their first try, and then piss and moan when they fall short of expectations.

I'm not apologizing for anything, maybe you should look up the meaning of that simple word before using it. Also, I'm not a "fan boy". This game has it's fair share of problems, just check my post history if you don't agree with me.

What I find laughable is people that expect a company that's never made an MMO before to make an absolutely perfect game on their first try, and then piss and moan when they fall short of expectations.

Actually--I expect them to get a lot closer than they did...but they made some very bad design decisions because they tried to reinvent the wheel (worst offender: "cinematic combat" causing unresponsive ability usage due to prioritizing animations over actions).

And do you know why? Because I expect that they would have hired designers who HAD worked on MMOs, or at least designers that were very hardcore players of various MMOs.

Edit: first paragraph was phrased really awkwardly.

Edited by GreymaneAlpha

I seem to remember targeting in WoW working quite nicely, thank you.

And I actually have more problems with tab-targeting in that game than I do in this one.

If I wanted to target the guy halfway across the room instead of one of the four guys bashing my face in, I'd click him. Thank you very much >.<

Actually--I expect them to get a lot closer than they did...but they made some very bad design decisions because they tried to reinvent the wheel (worst offender: "cinematic combat" causing unresponsive ability usage due to prioritizing animations over actions).

And do you know why? Because I expect that they would have hired designers who HAD worked on MMOs, or at least designers that were very hardcore players of various MMOs.

Edit: first paragraph was phrased really awkwardly.

I agree that they did try and re-invent the wheel, and it came back to bite them in many ways. But that's how it always works. Very rarely does someone do something completely out of the 'norm' and succeed greatly. I hate using it as an example, but look at WoW. Blizzard didn't re-invent the wheel, they just took what was already existing and polished it.

Bioware's biggest mistake was probably using Mythic employees as their source for making a PvE MMO. Whatever you say about Warhammer, the PvP in that game was fun. The PvP in DAoC was amazing, and will probably never be replicated. Bioware should have made SWTOR a pure PvP game, and optimized it around that. Sadly, hindsight is 20/20.

No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse. Sure, tab-targeting is annoying but it is far from 'game breaking'. For their first MMO, Bioware did a pretty decent job and there is a lot of room for growth.

Hey OP, change your bindings.

Tab should be for target CLOSEST Enemy if you can't get past Tab not being to target something. Or just ditch it for something important like an interrupt or knockback.

Use Mouse Wheel Up AND Mouse Wheel Down for Target Next Enemy. That's how Pro's pick the target they want.

I agree that they did try and re-invent the wheel, and it came back to bite them in many ways. But that's how it always works. Very rarely does someone do something completely out of the 'norm' and succeed greatly. I hate using it as an example, but look at WoW. Blizzard didn't re-invent the wheel, they just took what was already existing and polished it.

Bioware's biggest mistake was probably using Mythic employees as their source for making a PvE MMO. Whatever you say about Warhammer, the PvP in that game was fun. The PvP in DAoC was amazing, and will probably never be replicated. Bioware should have made SWTOR a pure PvP game, and optimized it around that. Sadly, hindsight is 20/20.

No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse. Sure, tab-targeting is annoying but it is far from 'game breaking'. For their first MMO, Bioware did a pretty decent job and there is a lot of room for growth.

Honestly, I think it is kinda gamebreaking. I seriously wonder how many close huttball games are decided by things like "I CAN"T TARGET HIM TO GRIP HIM UP TO ME!" instead of by sound strategic play. I feel like a ball gets scored or not scored at least once a game just based on whether or not I could target the ball carrier to grip him (either with Rescue on my Sage or Harpoon on my Vanguard). And that's pretty gamebreaking to me.

Hey OP, change your bindings.

Tab should be for target CLOSEST Enemy if you can't get past Tab not being to target something. Or just ditch it for something important like an interrupt or knockback.

Use Mouse Wheel Up AND Mouse Wheel Down for Target Next Enemy. That's how Pro's pick the target they want.

I have target closest enemy bound. That's not what I want.