★★★[ARENA] - benefits of adding ARENA to SWTOR★★★

Mirialol

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as ZERO balancing is done for arenas ... maybe.

You'd have to, because the OP is actually suggesting 1v1 ladders.

This in a game where:

- There's significant DPS difference between healing classes.

- Some classes don't have interrupts.

- Others have no gap closers.

- There's known issues with animations, delays, and mirror classes.

It's frankly staggering how stupid the suggestion is.

Edited by Dayfax

Glorified deathmatches my ***.

Do you know how much is required to actually be successful vs another skilled team in arena. You have to counter every single thing they do. You have to think 15 seconds into the future the whole entire match. It is the only way to test skill vs skill at a competitive level. For people saying "go back to wow" if you want to arena. We played it for a long time, and now WoW is simply too easy and homogonized because of crybabies and care bears. Arena was the only reason we played wow at all. It held me and my friends for a long time, but an MMO can only hold someone for so long, everyone should know this.

Yes, I know. I've done my fair share of it in S1 to S3.

And guess what? On warzones you need to do all you described+manage objectives.

Now what does require more skill and cooperation? Focus firing healer, or defending someone who plants the ball/caps the tower?

Also, do you REALLY think TOR would not go WoW homogenization way because of cries?

Do you really think the game would not get dumbed down even more because masses of clueless sheeps want to be competitive?

We already are getting free(in no effort needs to be put to get way) gearin 1.2.

From 1.2 on it will only get worse. I really didn't wanted to go to GW2 as I'm fed up of fantasy MMOs, but seeing where TOR goes, I can't wait now.

i spent 3 hours writing this post and this is your response? bet you didnt even take 2 minutes to read my post

i'll report your response as 'garbage'

2 hours, 59 minutes, and 50 seconds longer than it should have taken.

I think arena is awesome. SWTOR should have arenas.

That is all you need to put. It is just as subjective as that 3 hour post you just made.

Yes, I know. I've done my fair share of it in S1 to S3.

And guess what? On warzones you need to do all you described+manage objectives.

Now what does require more skill and cooperation? Focus firing healer, or defending someone who plants the ball/caps the tower?

Also, do you REALLY think TOR would not go WoW homogenization way because of cries?

Do you really think the game would not get dumbed down even more because masses of clueless sheeps want to be competitive?

We already are getting free(in no effort needs to be put to get way) gearin 1.2.

From 1.2 on it will only get worse. I really didn't wanted to go to GW2 as I'm fed up of fantasy MMOs, but seeing where TOR goes, I can't wait now.

I agree with you that this game is already a cake walk.

I guess we will see where 1.2 goes.

u can never win arena by simply zerging their healer down vs high level enemy team, since any of their skilled teammates will know how to CC and peel properly. Zerg+cleave enemy healer every game will work at maybe ~2500+ tops. any team that wants to hit gladiator must play smarter than that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8MixWnV6E (how to peel and control)

not to mention enemy healer will know how to position properly to stop such zerg from happening

Edited by Mirialol

What people don't realize is it is actually harder to land a kill on a coordinated team, then to coordinate a throw in a huttball into the endzone.

It may be a "deathmatch game" but it's more involved then that.

True. You might have to spend a few days rerolling the current arena "FOTM" class to compliment your already overpowered 3-man group.

Honestly I'm against arena's solely because they prevent you from being able to play the specs you want to. Since balance is ever flucuating you wind up not being able to play one spec one season because it's completely countered. Rated WZ's on the other hand have enough bodies participating that there's room for support roles and niche players. There's also a level of strategy and teamwork that's going to be involved since it is objective based, rather than just switching targets in sync. You'll have to focus on controlling choke points, using distractions and feints to try and take nodes from good teams. It's actually going to involve thought and intelligent play rather than just twitch and CC, and I think that scares people. Edited by Khadroth

you dont need to be skilled / knowledgeable in game and release good balance patches to be a successful gaming company, they are completely irrelevant

blizzard just have smart marketing strategies, and benefit of being one of first MMOs to be successful (hence larger fanbase)

in terms of their marketing strategy, i give blizzard A - brand new scroll of resurrection and offering FREE cataclysm upgrade right before pandaria? pure genius.

in terms of knowledge of their own game and knowing how to balance their game properly, i give them F

in other words, theyre just care about money and doesnt care much about pvp balance (as long as it doesnt affect their income)

So you think the only reason WoW has been this successful for this many years is because of marketing and branding? Running a special that is the equivalent of a season ending clearance sale is pure genius? Do you really believe everything you are putting in your posts or just so "inclined" for arenas that you are just spouting whatever you think will convince others that SWTOR needs arenas?

As long as ZERO balancing is done for arenas ... maybe.

I would like to see them add arenas in addition to the rated Warzones. I would be interested to see how many would gravitate to one or the other. I also agree, thou that no global class balancing due to what occurs in arenas should occur.

I would think the arenas would be best implemented before launch, as a way to balance classes during beta. Then after they finalize the class abilities, they would design the PVE. After launch, using it for balance destroys the current game , especailly the current PVE.

Basically balancing classes post launch for essentially a PVE game using PVP as an indicator can not and should not be done.

In my opinion rated warzones provide way more potential for highly competitive pvp. Arena may be more skillful purely based on your ability to play your class and counter another. That's about it. warzones require map control and strategy revolving around objectives not just eliminating the other team, however, doing that well certainly will prove beneficial.

Arenas like 2v2 or 3v3 just exacerbate class balance issues. The 8 man size of the current warzones is perfect in my opinion. It's small enough for personal skill to shine through but large enough that it creates complexity and less dependence on class make up (doesn't remove it).

In fact 8v8 is still small enough to feel like an arena. A game like huttball essentially is arena with an objective which only increases the complexity and strategy involved.

(I'm sure someone will read this post as "ARENA TAKES NO SKILL")

Nice post OP, but I have to point 1 flaw in your thinking.

For some strange reason, you claim that fighting in arena is more competetive than in warzone. That 3 bad players can kill 1 good player in WZ.

Point is, if you get caught in 1v3, chances are you are not as good as you think.

Objective-based WZ requires much more skills than arena, because in objective-based play fighting and killing other players is important, but there are other things you have to think about. You can kill your enemies and loose, because you were outplayed somewhere else (enemy team exploited your commitment into some skirmish and scored objective points).

There is 1 more thing.

Balancing game around arenas (I mean doing nerfs/buffs to classes according to their performance in that enviroment) HAVE to end bad for game as a whole.

Why?

2 reasons.

1. Composition. There are synergies between classes. We may not know them now, but they will be found. And then you have problem with some skills form different classes, that play with each other to good. Will you nerf them? It is a situation without a good soulution - you wont nerf them, arenes will be broken and boring, everyone in 1 composition. You will nerf them, and you will negatively impact game balance everywhere else.

Extreme example - snipers get a bug fixes and pvp community discovers that 4 snipers can burst down anyone in 3 seconds from 100-0. Noone will take 4 snipers into objective based wz, because they are balanced by lack of mobility and LoS. In arena, they cant lost a game - if you come to them, you die.

*it was an abstract example, just something that may happen*

2. Classes have some powerful skills on long CD (3 minutes, even 5 minutes). They are NOT balanced for having them up in every single fight. If you do balancing around fights with all CDs up, you will unbalance every other kind of play, both WZ and PVE.

In the end, I am not against introducing arenes. But under 2 conditions:

1. No rewards form arenas greater that from ranked WZ. You have 3 rankings, solo WZ, group WZ and arena, when you reach appropriate ranking in one of them, you get access to new tier of rewards (cosmetics I hope).

2. All posts regarding arenas are moved into Arena Forum and devs make a statement that they will never ever read a single post from that forum and they will never do any balancing change based on either arena forum or arena gameplay.

There are so many reasons to list, and I want to avoid wall of texts. I will try to organize this post as much as possible.

Since arenas were popularized in WoW, I will use that game as a comparison in most of the cases.

1. Arena is far more competitive and skill-oriented than rated warzones.

-First of all, there is no denying competitive players in general will like PvP more so than casual players (who will mostly stick with PvE). Wonder why most PvP playerbase consist of male gamers, while most female MMO players play PVE? This is because by its nature, PvP is a COMPETITIVE activity. There is no question about the fact that PvPers ARE competitive.

-Arena is the ultimate solution to promote competition and provide PvPers with the drive.

-I dont see why some players believe that rated warzones will be the solution for the PvP of the game? Objective oriented PvP such as warzones will be nowhere NEAR skill-dependent and competitive compared to any arena, PERIOD. "Competitive" and "objective" sound like oil and water to me.

Warzones = objective oriented (casual) PvP. Arenas = survival/killing oriented (competitive) PvP.

What sounds more PvP-like?

-Objective oriented PvP doesn't give players any incentives to "play well". In warzones, you simply respawn if you are killed due to being outplayed or making mistakes. Arena is whole different story, where the focus is surviving, outplaying, and killing opponents.

-WZ's are also much less controlled environment compared arenas. 3 unskilled players can easily kill 1 skilled player, if his teammates are bad and doesn't back him up. This again, doesn't promote skill-oriented play and just encourages players to travel in groups.

2. Arenas will help keep PvPers subscribed to this game

-Motivation is what helps keep players subscribed to the game.

We know that most MMORPG designs expect people to stay addicted to the game and keep their subscription through gear progression models. While it is true that PVEers are motivated to play the game to constantly obtain better gears that are released in new flashpoint / operations, PVP'ers' brains work differently.

In long story short, PvE'ers are motivated by gear progression. PvP'ers are motivated by competition. (Mere gear progression is not enough)

You can't expect to keep many of the pvp playerbase subscribed to to this game without providing adequate motivation in the form of competition. Without a challenge to prevent them from being bored, most pvpers will simply move on to the next MMO that comes out that has decent PvP (guild wars 2 anyone?). To see why rated warzones will not be good enough, refer to my point #1.

-Arenas will help create a competitive scene and communities such as arenajunkies in WoW. Many of the players there and the top world class WoW players (reckful, hydra, etc) played ARENAS since season 1 of TBC, which is 7+ years. I can't even fathom how any of these players would have stayed with WoW that long, if Blizzard had not added arenas.

3. Arena will help balance this game's PvP

-First of all you don't seem to know how unbalanced WoW is. One thing that I was impressed with SWTOR as a game was that, for a new game, the classes were EXTREMELY balanced. I played WoW for years since TBC, and even 1v1-wise star wars is FAR more balanced than WoW ever was.

-So many of you complain that how "unbalanced" this game is. People claim that SWTOR can't have arenas because it is "unbalanced". But do you even know what makes this game so unbalanced, how is it unbalanced, or how can the game be fixed? Everyone has different opinion on what class is OP... every one whines about different things on pvp forums, everything is a huge mess.

-Arenas will provide both the players and developers with valuable statistics and numbers they need to see which classes and which aspects of the game are truly unbalanced. Arena ladder in my opinion should not only show you names / classes / ratings, but it should also publicly show all of these raw data to allow us to see the state of the game. Some of these include...

*We can compare the percentage distribution of the 8 classes on the top ~200 of the ladder, to the overall class population distribution.

*Most popular (FOTM) team comps on the ladder to study class synergies

*Win loss ratio % of every class vs class matchup (for 1v1 arena), to see which class is particularly overpowered vs another class.

*more

Although some of player opinions on the PvP forums are valuable, arenas will give us the numerical data that we can actually work with. It will answer all of these questions and give us an idea of how to solve them:

"How is the game unbalanced?"

"Which classes are most unbalanced?"

"How unbalanced is class X vs class Y?"

"How can we fix and balance this game?"

Would you rather have this game balanced around endless QQ'ers and whine threads on PvP forums? Or would you have the game balanced around TANGIBLE statistics and numbers? you decide...

4. Arenas are breeding ground for skilled players

-When I watch the most popular oldschool vanilla PvP movies (vurtne, drakedog, etc) back in 2005 and top rank1 players streams now, there isn't even a comparison between the skill level of players back then and now.

One may argue that as the game matured, the players had years to develop that kind of skill. However it is VERY important to note that although there was hardly any change of skill cap of PvP throughout entire vanilla WoW, with the addition of arenas in TBC, WoW saw an incredible amount increase in average skill of playerbase. Not to mention that arena is what motivated the most skilled of PvPers to stay with WoW after all those years.

-If I have to handpick the most skilled player in WoW, I have to choose reckful hands down. I consider reckful to be the "pinnacle" of all rogues in WoW in 7 years of its history. Here's reckful's video of himself hitting 3000 rating with 117-4 record, versus other top players in the world. In terms of reaction speed, decision making, multi-tasking, awareness, and execution of strategies it is simply flawless. This video is the result of years of breeding / pitting the best players against each other, and could be what future players of SWTOR can achieve if arenas are added to the game.

[P.S. This video also proves the popularity of arenas. This video has over 2 million views, which makes it by far one of THE most watched WoW videos out there - more views than any of the 'world first kill' videos by any top PVE guilds. If you also see the uploader's (compLexity gaming) channel, it also has more views than all of compLexity gaming's starcraft 2 videos COMBINED.]

5. SWTOR arena will be EASIER to balance than WoW

If you see most popular and overpowered comps throughout WoW, it is usually things such as rogue/mage/priest, rogue/warlock/shaman, paladin/hunter/death knight, mage/warlock/shaman, etc etc.

In SWTOR, we won't see that kind of 'overpowered comps' and "unbeatable synergy" in WoW. Reason why certain classes synergized so well in WoW is because of the CC's and shared diminishing returns system, which caused certain classes to synergize far better with others. Therefore some classes have more viable comps, stronger comps, and inevitable class imbalance.

On the other hand, SWTOR is based on resolve system, and every class has some sort of stun or CC (on a cooldown). So I dont expect to see such exceptionally strong class synergy between any particular classes. In general, I expect ALL comps to be fully viable and competitive, as long as classes are balanced around 1v1! (important!)

6. Adding arenas will be FINANCIALLY productive for bioware

-Since its launch, Blizzard created 8 objective oriented battlegrounds like warzones in SWTOR. On average they have to constantly add 2~3 per expansion, and they aren't even that popular. Many players only play them to grind honor, and there are lot of bots and AFKers (theyre just that boring!)

-On the other hand, Blizzard added 3 arenas when they were launched in burning crusade expansion, and 2 more (which were unnecessary in my opinion) in WOTLK. Players have enjoyed these same maps for YEARS and they never got old. You never see players that claim arenas are boring and afk them.

-Overall, arena maps are much smaller and EASIER (and probably cheaper) to create than a whole new objective oriented warzone. Blizzard probably invested minuscule amount of capital into arenas compared to battlegrounds and open world PVP, and look what is more popular.

-Blizzard as a company, for some unknown reason, did not appear to like arenas. This is illustrated by their attempt to popularize rated battlegrounds in cataclysm. RBG's have been extremely unpopular in WoW btw, despite Blizzard's best efforts to increase player participation (awarding more conquest point in RBG's than arena per week, etc). Casuals don't like it because of amount of time and effort to find and set up a team. Pros don't like it because its nowhere near competitive as arenas. Despite Blizzard's "best efforts", RBG's have failed to "kill" arenas.

You can devote as much resources to design/program/add as many warzones as you want. They'll all eventually become 'stale' and repetitive after a while, and players will demand addition of new contents. However, every new arena game will appear fresh as players constantly face different opponents and new obstacles to overcome - even if they are held on the same map.

Logistically speaking arenas are cheaper, require less maintenance, and much more effective solution to satisfy PVPers needs than warzones are.

Bioware, just consider arenas as a ONE TIME INVESTMENT that will last for years to come.

100% Agreement and I support an Arena implementation fully.

2. All posts regarding arenas are moved into Arena Forum and devs make a statement that they will never ever read a single post from that forum and they will never do any balancing change based on either arena forum or arena gameplay.

Agreed. IF they did add arenas this would be the only sane way to deal with them afterwards.

Along with 0 rewards from arena beyond a cosmetic I play the right FoTM 1v1 class outfit.

After some thought and reading of posts after mine, I would like to retract my original post and say I am now against Arena's in the WoW sense due to what I have seen here. My main reason for this is:

I always enjoyed DAOC PVP the most. Classes in DAOC would have been terrible in the arena because they were not balanced for it. Each class had it's role, and it was the collective of the team that balanced out. There was nearly no way to make 2v2 even in DAOC because a Midgard Cleric + anything with AOE would win all battles due to cleric AOE stuns + heals, however in an 8v8 or greater situation it balanced.

Now, I realize this is not DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot), but I was using this as an example because right now we have a very similar setup going on. Some classes do far more damage and have far better control than others in this game, and you would find 2/3 class combinations that become unbeatable. This would inevitably spark class balances to try to even things and one day lead to the vanilla class separation we have now in WoW.

So how about I propose an alternative that could possibly satisfy both the desire for arena's and the desire to maintain group cooperative play as the core essential. I believe 8v8 or larger Death Matches (Arena's essentially), set up in Arena's, would still allow the game to maintain some level of class separation and still allow those who desire Arena's to have that fulfilled.

I'm sure i will get flamed by the OP for not agreeing (as I have seen her doing a lot in here), but I am hoping this will at least expand the discussion to include more than the cookie cutter WoW arena train of thought.

Great post, OP. I can tell you've put a lot of thought and work into this.

Even those who don't agree have to at least respect the points and info presented.

To those who just blatantly troll with "WoW garbage" or whatever... Mirialol is ACTUALLY a very good PVPer (go watch the vids) and goes out of his/her way to post PVP help tips for new players as well as provide constructive and well thought-out ideas on how to possibly improve the PVP aspects of this game.

That's a hell of a lot more than any of you trolls have ever done to help improve this game.

Keep that in your tiny little basement-dwelling minds before you come on these boards to try and trash talk a respected member of this community.

That having been said, I wouldn't mind seeing arenas in TOR... However, I'd like to see how rated WZ's work out first.

Not because I think arenas would be bad, but because they've already put forth the resource to add rated WZ's and I'd hate to see that go to waste like it did for RBGs in WoW.

Good points, I would be ok with arenas ONLY if they have the same rewards as rated warzones, exception being a simple recolor or something. I don't find arenas enjoyable and won't touch them unless forced to so the gear stats should be the same as rated wz.

There are so many reasons to list, and I want to avoid wall of texts. I will try to organize this post as much as possible.

Since arenas were popularized in WoW, I will use that game as a comparison in most of the cases.

1. Arena is far more competitive and skill-oriented than rated warzones.

-First of all, there is no denying competitive players in general will like PvP more so than casual players (who will mostly stick with PvE). Wonder why most PvP playerbase consist of male gamers, while most female MMO players play PVE? This is because by its nature, PvP is a COMPETITIVE activity. There is no question about the fact that PvPers ARE competitive.

-Arena is the ultimate solution to promote competition and provide PvPers with the drive.

-I dont see why some players believe that rated warzones will be the solution for the PvP of the game? Objective oriented PvP such as warzones will be nowhere NEAR skill-dependent and competitive compared to any arena, PERIOD. "Competitive" and "objective" sound like oil and water to me.

Warzones = objective oriented (casual) PvP. Arenas = survival/killing oriented (competitive) PvP.

What sounds more PvP-like?

-Objective oriented PvP doesn't give players any incentives to "play well". In warzones, you simply respawn if you are killed due to being outplayed or making mistakes. Arena is whole different story, where the focus is surviving, outplaying, and killing opponents.

-WZ's are also much less controlled environment compared arenas. 3 unskilled players can easily kill 1 skilled player, if his teammates are bad and doesn't back him up. This again, doesn't promote skill-oriented play and just encourages players to travel in groups.

2. Arenas will help keep PvPers subscribed to this game

-Motivation is what helps keep players subscribed to the game.

We know that most MMORPG designs expect people to stay addicted to the game and keep their subscription through gear progression models. While it is true that PVEers are motivated to play the game to constantly obtain better gears that are released in new flashpoint / operations, PVP'ers' brains work differently.

In long story short, PvE'ers are motivated by gear progression. PvP'ers are motivated by competition. (Mere gear progression is not enough)

You can't expect to keep many of the pvp playerbase subscribed to to this game without providing adequate motivation in the form of competition. Without a challenge to prevent them from being bored, most pvpers will simply move on to the next MMO that comes out that has decent PvP (guild wars 2 anyone?). To see why rated warzones will not be good enough, refer to my point #1.

-Arenas will help create a competitive scene and communities such as arenajunkies in WoW. Many of the players there and the top world class WoW players (reckful, hydra, etc) played ARENAS since season 1 of TBC, which is 7+ years. I can't even fathom how any of these players would have stayed with WoW that long, if Blizzard had not added arenas.

3. Arena will help balance this game's PvP

-First of all you don't seem to know how unbalanced WoW is. One thing that I was impressed with SWTOR as a game was that, for a new game, the classes were EXTREMELY balanced. I played WoW for years since TBC, and even 1v1-wise star wars is FAR more balanced than WoW ever was.

-So many of you complain that how "unbalanced" this game is. People claim that SWTOR can't have arenas because it is "unbalanced". But do you even know what makes this game so unbalanced, how is it unbalanced, or how can the game be fixed? Everyone has different opinion on what class is OP... every one whines about different things on pvp forums, everything is a huge mess.

-Arenas will provide both the players and developers with valuable statistics and numbers they need to see which classes and which aspects of the game are truly unbalanced. Arena ladder in my opinion should not only show you names / classes / ratings, but it should also publicly show all of these raw data to allow us to see the state of the game. Some of these include...

*We can compare the percentage distribution of the 8 classes on the top ~200 of the ladder, to the overall class population distribution.

*Most popular (FOTM) team comps on the ladder to study class synergies

*Win loss ratio % of every class vs class matchup (for 1v1 arena), to see which class is particularly overpowered vs another class.

*more

Although some of player opinions on the PvP forums are valuable, arenas will give us the numerical data that we can actually work with. It will answer all of these questions and give us an idea of how to solve them:

"How is the game unbalanced?"

"Which classes are most unbalanced?"

"How unbalanced is class X vs class Y?"

"How can we fix and balance this game?"

Would you rather have this game balanced around endless QQ'ers and whine threads on PvP forums? Or would you have the game balanced around TANGIBLE statistics and numbers? you decide...

4. Arenas are breeding ground for skilled players

-When I watch the most popular oldschool vanilla PvP movies (vurtne, drakedog, etc) back in 2005 and top rank1 players streams now, there isn't even a comparison between the skill level of players back then and now.

One may argue that as the game matured, the players had years to develop that kind of skill. However it is VERY important to note that although there was hardly any change of skill cap of PvP throughout entire vanilla WoW, with the addition of arenas in TBC, WoW saw an incredible amount increase in average skill of playerbase. Not to mention that arena is what motivated the most skilled of PvPers to stay with WoW after all those years.

-If I have to handpick the most skilled player in WoW, I have to choose reckful hands down. I consider reckful to be the "pinnacle" of all rogues in WoW in 7 years of its history. Here's reckful's video of himself hitting 3000 rating with 117-4 record, versus other top players in the world. In terms of reaction speed, decision making, multi-tasking, awareness, and execution of strategies it is simply flawless. This video is the result of years of breeding / pitting the best players against each other, and could be what future players of SWTOR can achieve if arenas are added to the game.

[P.S. This video also proves the popularity of arenas. This video has over 2 million views, which makes it by far one of THE most watched WoW videos out there - more views than any of the 'world first kill' videos by any top PVE guilds. If you also see the uploader's (compLexity gaming) channel, it also has more views than all of compLexity gaming's starcraft 2 videos COMBINED.]

5. SWTOR arena will be EASIER to balance than WoW

If you see most popular and overpowered comps throughout WoW, it is usually things such as rogue/mage/priest, rogue/warlock/shaman, paladin/hunter/death knight, mage/warlock/shaman, etc etc.

In SWTOR, we won't see that kind of 'overpowered comps' and "unbeatable synergy" in WoW. Reason why certain classes synergized so well in WoW is because of the CC's and shared diminishing returns system, which caused certain classes to synergize far better with others. Therefore some classes have more viable comps, stronger comps, and inevitable class imbalance.

On the other hand, SWTOR is based on resolve system, and every class has some sort of stun or CC (on a cooldown). So I dont expect to see such exceptionally strong class synergy between any particular classes. In general, I expect ALL comps to be fully viable and competitive, as long as classes are balanced around 1v1! (important!)

6. Adding arenas will be FINANCIALLY productive for bioware

-Since its launch, Blizzard created 8 objective oriented battlegrounds like warzones in SWTOR. On average they have to constantly add 2~3 per expansion, and they aren't even that popular. Many players only play them to grind honor, and there are lot of bots and AFKers (theyre just that boring!)

-On the other hand, Blizzard added 3 arenas when they were launched in burning crusade expansion, and 2 more (which were unnecessary in my opinion) in WOTLK. Players have enjoyed these same maps for YEARS and they never got old. You never see players that claim arenas are boring and afk them.

-Overall, arena maps are much smaller and EASIER (and probably cheaper) to create than a whole new objective oriented warzone. Blizzard probably invested minuscule amount of capital into arenas compared to battlegrounds and open world PVP, and look what is more popular.

-Blizzard as a company, for some unknown reason, did not appear to like arenas. This is illustrated by their attempt to popularize rated battlegrounds in cataclysm. RBG's have been extremely unpopular in WoW btw, despite Blizzard's best efforts to increase player participation (awarding more conquest point in RBG's than arena per week, etc). Casuals don't like it because of amount of time and effort to find and set up a team. Pros don't like it because its nowhere near competitive as arenas. Despite Blizzard's "best efforts", RBG's have failed to "kill" arenas.

You can devote as much resources to design/program/add as many warzones as you want. They'll all eventually become 'stale' and repetitive after a while, and players will demand addition of new contents. However, every new arena game will appear fresh as players constantly face different opponents and new obstacles to overcome - even if they are held on the same map.

Logistically speaking arenas are cheaper, require less maintenance, and much more effective solution to satisfy PVPers needs than warzones are.

Bioware, just consider arenas as a ONE TIME INVESTMENT that will last for years to come.

So if you want arena, go back to wow...

Simple as that

Me and a lot other ppl WANT World (open) pvp and NOT arena, thats why we DONT play wow...

I would rather to quit than having another bad wow clone that ruins it's classes PVEwise cause of retarted arena...

I'm afraid if they add arenas I will be forced to quit.

I am a sub par player who can hide among an 8v8 battle. I'm afraid if you implement arenas my inability to play the game will be magnified. It's really not about class balance or gear, it's more that I'm afraid of what the popular kids will think of me when they see my 1400 rating. Please do not ruin my experience and add arenas to the game.

Simple as that

Me and a lot other ppl WANT World (open) pvp and NOT arena, thats why we DONT play wow...

I would rather to quit than having another bad wow clone that ruins it's classes PVEwise cause of retarted arena...

This is an example of why I believe 8v8 matches or straight deathmatch style matches would be better. It allows the game to be more diverse and better tailor for PVE, while still having good PVP.

This is certainly an area WoW has lacked in for years. Ever since Arena's were introduced it has been slowly hindering PVE more and more to tailor more for 2v2/3v3 Arena.

Simple as that

To use your same logic, if you're more worried about PVE than PVP... Go play a PVE game.

I hear Animal Crossing is nice.

/sarcasm off.

If you actually bothered to read the OP's post, maybe you wouldn't be so blatantly and ignorantly opposed.

Also... If you're playing THIS game for OWPVP... (LOL) I think you're playing the wrong game. OWPVP is practically non-existent in this game, unless you count Ilum kill trading as "Open World PVP" which, judging by your post, might not be too far off.

Having arena or competitive PVP does not make a game a WoW clone.

By that logic, WoW is a CS or SC clone... See how silly that sounds?

The point the OP makes is that the game is already very well balanced 1v1, with some need for minor adjusting (maybe). This means that an arena system, theoretically, could be added with little to no impact on other aspects of the game.

Either you; A.) You didn't read the whole OP, B.) Your reading comprehension is lacking, or C.) You're one of those the OP mentions who got rocked in arenas in WoW, thus quit WoW, and now go out of your way to trash talk any mention of arenas in any other game... Because you were bad at it, so that means no one else should be able to enjoy it unless they want to go back to WoW.

/golfclap.

Bye.