Are EA putting pressure on BioWare to increase subscriber numbers?

Corinthar

In the last month we have had the 'INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!' programme, which at the time I thought was al little strange when you consider that the playerbase would seem to be larger than any new MMO which I have played in recent years.

Now BioWare have brought down the servers during peak time for European countries in order to deploy an emergency patch to ensure that those participating in the upcoming weekend trials have a smooth experience.

Do you think that Electronic Arts are putting pressure on BioWare to increase subscriber numbers in advance of their annual financial reports?

This isn't a 'whiner' thread. I'm hoping to provoke a discussion based on the recent evidence that EA are doing just that.

So, with that said, /DISCUSS

Edited by Corinthar

I doubt they're under some kind of pressure - Bioware Austin probably just wants its game to succeed and, thus, is putting out solid marketing tactics to help expand the subscriber base. A good company isn't going to try to draw more people in because the game is doing badly (which TOR certainly isn't) - a good company is going to try to draw more people in because they want to be more successful, make more money, etc.

They're not reactive; they're proactive. This definitely isn't a 'OH GOD SKY IS FALLING' thing, nor is it a sign of anyone 'up top' pressuring Bioware Austin.

Asdfguhyfu.j why can't people learn business tactics before posting these threads?

In the last month we have had the 'INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!' programme, which at the time I thought was al little strange when you consider that the playerbase would seem to be larger than any new MMO which I have played in recent years.

Now BioWare have brought down the servers during peak time for European countries in order to deploy an emergency patch to ensure that those participating in the upcoming weekend trials have a smooth experience.

Do you think that Electronic Arts are putting pressure on BioWare to increase subscriber numbers in advance of their annual financial reports?

This isn't a 'whiner' thread. I'm hoping to provoke a discussion based on the recent evidence that EA are doing just that.

So, with that said, /DISCUSS

Your font color choice is horrible against the forum background, good luck getting ppl to read that.

But on topic, yes, ship is sinking.

Edited by Dego_Locc

I just think it's sad that the people that have been paying and putting up with all the bugs since launch get pushed to the side so people can play for free this weekend. Where was the emergency maintenance for some of those nasty bugs they ignored for so long? I understand they want to stop the bleeding from the loss of subscriptions, but take care of the ones that have put up with this and are still here. EA will ruin this game.

Your font color choice is horrible against the forum background, good luck getting ppl to read that.

But on topic, yes, ship is sinking.

Yup, just like McDonalds is closing down and they are desperately selling $69 cheeseburgers on Sundays and putting out coupons for buy one get one free, etc...

It's not out of the question. Perfectly likely that EA is putting pressure on BW but to make more money although I don't see why they would need to. BW are hardly the sort of company that makes small games and they are a business so obviously want to turn profits as high as possible.

Where did you hear this from though? As far as I've seen there hasn't been a reason yet other than to say 2 hour downtime.

On balance it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were but EA moaning and BW would most likely not change a thing about what BW do unless someone at EA has suggested to do anything.

am I the only one actually thankfull for the free week-end hoping - against all odds - that it might actually help the empty server? (since I doubt most week-end-tester will actually take their time to figure out the heavy populated servers)

So, is a parent company getting their affiliate to... try and.... make more money?

Is that what's being asked?

I don't understand why the answer isn't obvious. I also don't understand why people think a sign of a "healthy" business or product is "not trying to make more money".

/sigh

Yup, just like McDonalds is closing down and they are desperately selling $69 cheeseburgers on Sundays and putting out coupons for buy one get one free, etc...

I guess EA are getting worried too about the amount of subs just not playing. :eek:

Why does everyone think, that just because theres a trial program(which shockingly, other MMOs have) that BW is being pressured, or that the game is failing?....

Probably because usually in most MMORPGs at this point their still pushing boxed sales.

Which means this is either an new marketing strategy or they are worried about subs already (or both I guess).

Which it is is anyone's guess. :confused:

The company that is out to make more money is trying to make more money? No way! Shock freaking horror! It doesn't mean that the game is dying, it means that they want more. Just like pretty much every company ever.

You people think free trial accounts are the go to thing to "save" swtor

Oh please.

if the game was dying, which it is clearly not. They would implement something like captial ships or something big to redeem the game.

Free trials dont hurt anyone and ONLY increase subs.

People ************ about more players, give me a break.

So, is a parent company getting their affiliate to... try and.... make more money?

Is that what's being asked?

I don't understand why the answer isn't obvious. I also don't understand why people think a sign of a "healthy" business or product is "not trying to make more money".

/sigh

I understand them marketing and wanting to make money thats not the issue. The problem is they dont do emergency maintenance for things that actually need to be fixed. They took the servers down so people can have a better time playing for free. How about the ones that pay and play with all the issues? Wheres our emergency maintenance to make our quality of life better when playing.

Free weekends and invite-a-friend program are pretty much standard these days. I fail to see where you are finding the conspiracy. More players in an MMO is always a good thing. 1.7 million is great, lets see if we can get that number up closer to 10 million.

I understand them marketing and wanting to make money thats not the issue. The problem is they dont do emergency maintenance for things that actually need to be fixed. They took the servers down so people can have a better time playing for free. How about the ones that pay and play with all the issues? Wheres our emergency maintenance to make our quality of life better when playing.

Dude how do you even know that is what this is about? Point being.