Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New patch and server maintenance at peak time?

defendurname

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have taken one of the servers that has no population on it and made that the free trial one and left the paying customers out of it. But no they affect all of us the pay their salary. and now we cant play what we paid for I think some compensation is in order.

but i guess people at bio ware cant think outside the box.

Not for nothing but why do us PAYING customers have to suffer so you can patch in some crap for some free weekenders who may or may not ever subscribe to the game? Further more, why wasn't this all done properly during the standard weekly maintenance cycle? Bringing the servers down to provide free service for some promotional weekend is hardly what I would consider an "emergency" situation. I'm already paying for the service, let those people wait, push that weekend back or at the very least do this downtime in off-peak hours. Honestly, how do you justify bringing servers down in peak time to patch in some fix to improve the experience of people who are not even in the game yet and not paying customers, the hell...?

Well like I said, to be fair to our EU brethren, this is an absolutely RIDICULOUS reason to have maintenance during peak times. The whole reason for the patch is to help their recruiting efforts this upcoming weekend -- that's a big pile of junk IMO. I totally understand where their rage is coming from at least.

pile of junk. you think your solo sub can keep this mmo rolling on? they need as many subs as possible. if they wanna make this game last more than a yr

Everyone - we apologize for the inconvenience. We do everything we can to avoid taking the servers down for maintenance outside of our regular weekly maintenance, but in some cases (like this one, unfortunately) we can't avoid it. This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our Weekend Pass Trial weekend. We never take interrupting your playtime lightly, and this is no exception. Emergencies do happen occasionally, and we are working as quickly as we can to bring the servers back up so you can continue enjoying the game. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated with any new information that becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to ensure everything goes smoothly this weekend.

The problem here is that it looks like you are saying that free player are more important than paying customers.

Please, next time an "emergency" like this happens, split the patching time and let EU players play the game they pay for.

Good thing we now have one less day of raiding this week.

19.oo on a thursday night and servers are shut down for the convenience of people who arn't subscribed yet is something I will remember if another interesting game hits the market.

you bunch of dolts. the only people on earth that care about you being unable to play your video game are employed at BIOWARE-Austin and are, at this very moment, working to remedy your TOTALLY inconsequential predicament, in real time, even as you weep tears of self-entitled fury.

you all know bioware have already explained why the servers went down so they could implement the free pass weekend for non subscribers no major bug fix etc

Ha Ha SWTOR = Free to Play :)

Edited by shegoy

Could have taken one of the servers that has no population on it and made that the free trial one and left the paying customers out of it. But no they affect all of us the pay their salary. and now we cant play what we paid for I think some compensation is in order.

but i guess people at bio ware cant think outside the box.

OR just maybe you cannot think inside of the box.

Friends sent out free invites to other friends to see if they like the game.

I am sure if you wrack your brain you can figure out what servers these people want to test the game on.

If BW cant split the patching then they should.

ROTATE the downtimes. The emergency downtimes happen during the US workday when the devs are around. Make the nextone during the US evening, then next one the US night.

I have never got up in the morning and seen tweets saying an emergency patch was deployed during 3AM GMT.

whoever decided to tell us,our game is down due to catering for new players really didnt think that one through. annoyed me more than no info, although i wouldnt tell people about an exploit im trying to fix,even after its done, which i think is the real case. /hope

Due to BW allowing access to all region servers on one client That cant happen as patching the different zones at different times would make the clients incompatible. (Simplified reason).

No matter when, how or what is done, people will whine.

Now that is dead interesting and certainly explains why patching is world-wide simultaneous. Love the stuff Bioware do (ME3 is great) but was that really a sensible design decision? Most big MMOs in recent times maintain separation (US players on US servers for example) to minimise inconvenience.

That being said, if this is an emergency patch, it has to happen now; it's just a shame the rage is building up because regular european maintenance is at an inappropriate time (because of above reason).

Ho hum!