Lightsabers as weapons

Glorthox

Is it just me of does lightsabers feel like beating clubs more than a weapon that can actual cut through most of anything? Kinda feel like a futurerama cop. I know this is rated T for teen, but if anything, couldnt there be an animation atleast for when you kill driods they atleast fall to pieces or get cut in half? Blasters seem to get all the attention and just wondering if im not the only who sees this...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe in this era, sabers are not as strong as they are in say... the Civil War era. Though yes because its a game and being able to one shot people with a lightsaber swing is hardly fun... however YOU CAN do that if you are a level 50 and you fight level 1-20 npcs.

Oh no technology isn't advancing!

Lightsabers do not cut through everything automatically.

Qui-Gon vs. Blast Door, TPM.

Unsliced Geonosians, AotC.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's final duel, RotS. Most notable, when Obi-Wan pins Anakin's lightsaber against a computer console with practically no damage to said console.

Many railings and Vader's shoulder, ESB.

Many unsliced skiff guards and railings, RotJ.

Lightsabers do not cut through everything automatically.

Qui-Gon vs. Blast Door, TPM.

Unsliced Geonosians, AotC.

Anakin and Obi-Wan's final duel, RotS. Most notable, when Obi-Wan pins Anakin's lightsaber against a computer console with practically no damage to said console.

Many railings and Vader's shoulder, ESB.

Many unsliced skiff guards and railings, RotJ.

Most of the things you cite I think are movie errors. Lore wise there's only one material a light saber can't cut through, anything else it slices through with little issue.

But yes if they were as strong as they were in the movies, everything would be a kill shot.

To quote a player back in my SWG days..

"Realism in game, if the game was realistic I'd swing once and your head would be laying next to you!"

They are day glo clubs. If they dealt the damage we see in the stories, one jedi could cut thru an army of droids.

It's an artifact of this being a game. Lightsabers cannot be anywhere near as potent as they are in the movies. If they were, they would be one-shot kills whenever the Jedi or Sith connected with most blows.

Of in fact as they are in many other games such as Dark Forces or Jedi Academy.

Having said that in SWTOR lightsabers do seem rather "wiffy", and you often feel a bit like you're trying to beat someone to death with a foam stick.

As long as we are speaking of realism, shouldn't the jump to light speed kill everyone but the droids on the ship? Because that has to be some massive g's from zero speed to full speed in under a couple seconds.

Lore wise there's only one material a light saber can't cut through, anything else it slices through with little issue.

Cortosis, Phrik, and Mandalorian Iron. There's 3 materials a light saber can't cut right through.

As long as we are speaking of realism, shouldn't the jump to light speed kill everyone but the droids on the ship? Because that has to be some massive g's from zero speed to full speed in under a couple seconds.

That's probably one of the last things to worry about in the case of how they can travel like that. :)

I think they have a piece of sci-fi science to explain it though, can't for the life of me remember what though.

Cortosis, Phrik, and Mandalorian Iron. There's 3 materials a light saber can't cut right through.
I thought Cortosis had adverse effects (overloading a lightsaber for a short period of time) but could still be cut through. I hadn't even heard of Phrik until this game, and I'm too lazy to wookieepedia it, so I'll let that one slide.

Of in fact as they are in many other games such as Dark Forces or Jedi Academy.

Having said that in SWTOR lightsabers do seem rather "wiffy", and you often feel a bit like you're trying to beat someone to death with a foam stick.

Yeah, but those games were not MMO games where you control your toons actions by using the numbers buttons (or clicking skills).

They were mostly single player games, and in multiplayer it was all down to the skill of the player, not the same thing as an MMO.

But sit back for a while... and imagine how SW:TOR would play if you had one-hit kills with all lightsabers.

Just mull on that thought for a while.

And then instead of thinking of how your character would slaughter all those enemies (admit it, thats what you were thinking of), just think of all the times you would be one-shot killed by an enemy that was 10-20 levels below you just because that character had a lightsaber and clicked his skill faster than you.

Now... would that be a fun game?

On the other hand tho, blasters seem to kill in one or two shots in the movies as well so i guess we'd have to implement that as well... and an artillery strike? well thats a whole different ballgame there...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I thought Cortosis had adverse effects (overloading a lightsaber for a short period of time) but could still be cut through. I hadn't even heard of Phrik until this game, and I'm too lazy to wookieepedia it, so I'll let that one slide.

True, cortosis was supposed to essentially short out the saber, and after repeated strikes it could be cut through. Still a light saber resistant material though, and only brought them all up just because there is indeed more than one material that can stop a saber.

That's probably one of the last things to worry about in the case of how they can travel like that. :)

I think they have a piece of sci-fi science to explain it though, can't for the life of me remember what though.

If I remember correctly, and it's a been a long time ago and a Galaxy far far away (sorry could not stop myself) :D

Hyper space folds space and time, so when entering it the ships actual speed is multiplied by the amount of space being folded. So lets say your doing half light speed (just an example) and you enter Hyper Space. Because of your Hyper Drive you'll actually cover twice that distance, wile still going only half light speed. Or something like that.

The big kicker is that objects in real space, also exist in Hyper Space. Ergo flying into a sun will in fact wreck your day, and why they use Nava computers and Hyper Space lanes. These are routes that are safe, and clear, and maintained. Their is also a kick out built into Hyper Drives that will detect a large body in space and prevent you from running into it.

Hyper space lanes are also not straight lines. They zig and zag all over known space to find clear paths. Witch is the reason why some routes take longer even though their distance is shorter. Coruscant is the hub of the world because it's relatively simple to get to. Some worlds, Gree for example, are nearly impossible to find because no known route exists.

On Lightsabers and SciFi

You have to remember that Lucas back in 1970 didn't go to the Vulcian Science academy and ask "Hay how would this flashlight work". He went "How can we get a kool looking sword fight on the screen and not make it look dumb. Wala it's a light saber. It was created for a movie, and no one had any idea that 30+ years later people would be playing a video game based off it. So they have to change and adapt.

Near as science can figure a lightsaber is a plasma cutter. How and why it does what it does, and how it runs on what appears to be a couple "D" cells no one knows.

Anyway yes it would appear that we are all using glowing ball bats though. And the wide spread use of what looks like actual glowing kendo sticks making the same sounds does not help the immersion of the situation.

It's even more funny when you consider that my guardians Hilt strike does more damage than it's saber slash. :eek:

Is it just me of does lightsabers feel like beating clubs more than a weapon that can actual cut through most of anything? Kinda feel like a futurerama cop. I know this is rated T for teen, but if anything, couldnt there be an animation atleast for when you kill driods they atleast fall to pieces or get cut in half? Blasters seem to get all the attention and just wondering if im not the only who sees this...

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS. If they made it so lightsaber one hit everything then it wouldn't be an MMO. It would be completely unfair in pvp.

Its a game not a movie. Thus making it so you have to hit them many times until they are dead. Don't like it? Deal with it.

They could have partly solved the problem by having active defense (block, parry, dodge) the primary means of survivability rather than having uber amount of health points. It's bad enough when it's a medieval setting and and you slash someone with your sword a dozen times before he's dead, but it's infinitely worse with lightsabers. I'm not suggesting one-hit-gets-through-and-you're-dead, but the way it's done in games is ridiculous.

Saber users should be blocking and dodging attacks, not absorbing them. Ranged, non-jedi types should be all about armor and shields. Quite frankly, I think it's lazy design and I wish developers would stop relying on this antiquated model of "hit points".

Edited by RAVM

They could have partly solved the problem by having active defense (block, parry, dodge) the primary means of survivability rather than having uber amount of health points.

Yeah... I had a dream that SW:TOR would use a mechanic like this one instead of the usual ‘kick each other in the shins till one falls over’ MMO fare.

Instead of health, you could have had a dodge, block or armour bar for scoundrels, Jedi and troops.....

That said, it’s probably too hard to do, and to BW’s credit, there are occasional blocks and misses thrown in there that spice things up a bit.

It's pretty much the same reason Superman sucks in pretty much every game appearance: you're "too powerful." Still, it would be nice if the blaster bold deflection worked a little better in this game. It does in other games, including the 1st and 2nd KOTOR games. Though, to be honest, the lightsabers are actually one of the least annoying things about Jedi/Sith in this game for me. I really can't stand they way they've borked them, so I usually play as blaster-wielding characters. Though, when you think about it, even Stormtroopers in armor went down with one shot in the movies, there was no repeatedly firing a blaster at one character to take them down.

But, it's a game. That's how they are.

Edited by SciFiDude

Starships in Star Wars are equipped with intertial compensators to keep the G's from effecting the passengers at all if dialed up to 100%

Typically, they are always at 100% except in starfighters where the pilots like to be able to feel a little of it for piloting reasons.

Edited by TheNevet

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.