Has SWTOR "broken even" yet?

Eroex

So how close do you think SWTOR is to breaking even on the 200mil they invested into the game prior to launch?

After paying staff, hardware maintiance, electric bills ECT. Do you think they are any where close to breaking even yet?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taking into account that we are playing in the paid beta test ... I wish they would go bankrupt

I hate people like you, most people would rather have the chance to play the game, rather than wait 6 months to a year for them to fix some minor issues. They are literally very minor and have work-a-rounds and in no way, shape, or form game breaking.

If they didnt release the game, people would whine about it, when they did release the game, people still whine about it.

In the words of Arnold: STOP WHINING!

Edited by Eroex

Sometimes, trolls bait you so well, you have to respond even knowing you're being trolled.

taking into account that we are playing in the paid beta test ... I wish they would go bankrupt

There was plenty of free beta weekends during actual beta. After playing during that time, nobody forced you to go buy the game and subscribe. Nobody forced you to re-subscribe. Heck, if you hadn't re-subscribed you could have just made a new forum account and played for free this weekend.

If you didn't think it's worth 15$ a month, you should have already left.

In response to the original poster, I don't think they've broken even yet. Box sales and first month subscriptions based on 2 mil sales and 1.7 mil subscriptions as of March 1st are not quite enough to add up to estimated costs. However, they don't have to hold that 1.7mil for too much longer to break even.

The game just runs fine with a few bugs. Maybe the problem is sitting in front of the computer as usal when a DAU is whining.

Edited by Fatalist

I don't want them to go bankrupt they should have released it latter they they could polish stuff instead of rushing it to Christmas but blame EA for that!

Yeah, and that would accomplish exactly what? Because Bioware going bankrupt it won't put the game in any state that is acceptable to your standards. /facepalm

Please don't tell community members to leave it is rude and making people unconformable or encouraging someone to leave is sometime BW DOES NOT WANT US TO DO

Right, the guy reading the is going to think, "YOU KNOW HES RIGHT I WILL UNSUB RIGHT NOW!" Then go do it....

Really?

it cost 148 million to make not 200. With ~2 million copies of the game sold at an average of $60 a box, 120 million on upfront sales alone + at least 1.5 million return subscribers at 15 bucks a month and thats another 44 million at least... (1.5 million people X 15 bucks X 2 months = 44(ish) million)

Yes, they have broken even and then some.

P.S. It is impossible to take employee payroll into account so I refuse to even consider it. Most of those guys would be on EA/BW/LA payrolls regardless of this game existing or not.

Edited by Tadshackles

Right, the guy reading the is going to think, "YOU KNOW HES RIGHT I WILL UNSUB RIGHT NOW!" Then go do it....

Really?

yes,I got a warning about telling people to leave like saying go back to WoW or l2p noob or leave. I understand it is frowned and I agree it is not nice to tell somebody to leave.so don't say anything like that to a community member! or even tease them about it.Just telling people to listen to the rules that we sometimes forget :D

I hate people like you, most people would rather have the chance to play the game, rather than wait 6 months to a year for them to fix some minor issues. They are literally very minor and have work-a-rounds and in no way, shape, or form game breaking.

If they didnt release the game, people would whine about it, when they did release the game, people still whine about it.

Well said, sir. The Arnold quote was very nice :D

Well we can do some math.

There are 2 million active subs and they all bought the game for averaging 50-60 bucks each. I'll stick with 50 bucks just for craps and giggles. So 50 * 2 mil,

That's 100,000,000 bucks (100 million). Since we know that roughly 2 million people are indeed active, they would have paid so far for January 20th, February 20th, and soon to be March 20th. We'll leave March out for now. Now I'm also going to assume that every person is paying monthly. I know this isn't true, some people paid for 3 or 6 months which is even more money generated than 14.99 a month, but if they did then it's only 13.99 or 12.99 a month, regardless 14.99 doesn't balance it out but it's the lowest possible dollar amount they could have now.

call it 15$ for simplicity a month, 15*2 million subs * 2 months = 60 million.

At worst case bioware has made 160 million on this game to date. We know that people sub for 3 or 6 months instead of 1, so now by speculation if we are to assume that about 1/4 of these subs paid for 6 months and about 1/3 of them paid for 3 months then we get roughly 21/50ths left who are subbing monthly.

1/4 of 2 mil is 500k, 1/3 of 2 mil is about 666k, and the remaining is ~834k So...

(834k* 2 months of pay * 15$) + (666,666 *1 payment * 42$) + (500k * 1 payment * 78$)

=25,020,000 + 27,999,972 + 39,000,000 = $92,019,972 plus the initial 100 million to buy the game and we're about 8 million shy of 200 million bucks.

Of course we have 2 million active subscribers, and that number is a rough estimate, plus there are more people who bought the game and are not actively subscribed, and loads of people paid 60 bucks for the game, not 50 so realistically they're most likely over the 200 million mark right now. If not then on March 20th they will be. QED

Edited by Crimsonyoshi

it cost 148 million to make not 200. With ~2 million copies of the game sold at an average of $60 a box, 120 million on upfront sales alone + at least 1.5 million return subscribers at 15 bucks a month and thats another 44 million at least... (1.5 million people X 15 bucks X 2 months = 44(ish) million)

Yes, they have broken even and then some.

P.S. It is impossible to take employee payroll into account so I refuse to even consider it. Most of those guys would be on EA/BW/LA payrolls regardless of this game existing or not.

No way they averaged $60 per box sale.

Edited by Drewser

yes,I got a warning about telling people to leave like saying go back to WoW or l2p noob or leave. I understand it is frowned and I agree it is not nice to tell somebody to leave.so don't say anything like that to a community member! or even tease them about it.Just telling people to listen to the rules that we sometimes forget :D

Told a guy to crymore and got a warning. Because he was baselessly ranting and bashing the game. He probably didn't even play the game and he was definitely trying to Slander BioWare and/or SWTOR.

Stop using pseudo-math.

Retailers don't just hand over 100% of sales to companies, that's dumb. In fact, retailers pay a large portion of the sale cost just to stock the game, and *shocknawe* keep the profits.

That's not even touching on publishing costs, costs of maintaining servers and support and development staff... It's gonna take a while before they "break even", if you can even measure that.

Edited by tekkamansoul

Stop using pseudo-math.

Retailers don't just hand over 100% of sales to companies, that's dumb. In fact, retailers pay a large portion of the sale cost just to stock the game, and *shocknawe* keep the profits.

That's not even touching on publishing costs, costs of maintaining servers and support and development staff... It's gonna take a while before they "break even", if you can even measure that.

What this guy said.

I hate people like you that buy an unfished and sloppy game THEN defend it so publishers can continue pushing out half finished bugged pieces of clone copied crap because idiots will still buy it and then not only accept the bugs but defend them.

Edited by da_krall