Videos of ppl without fps issues...

Kalyk

I have minimal fps issues, however if I load any screen capturing software due to running an older rig I then have fps issues. I will take a video with my phone or something later and post it. Sure it will be low quality but I assume it will suffice

Make certain to turn on your FPS meter (CTRL + Shift + F if I remember correctly) so they can't call you a liar or debunk your info.

They may anyway, but you can take away some of their ammunition with it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i2500k,16gb Ripjaws, HD 6970, Win 7 64.

I have fps issues on Ilum when its more than 10v10, when I just get into fleet and a companion mission window opens at the same time, and doing 8man ops with shadows on. My computer might have some spyware but i'm annoyed that I can't run an OPs with shadows.

Here, let me help all of the people with awesome machines who never, ever get FPS problems.

1. Download Fraps. http://www.fraps.com/download.php

2. Turn it on, turn on the feature which lets you see the FPS

3. Start recording

4. Open inventory while running

5. Mount/dismount speeder

6. Join a Warzone and PvP for 10 minutes+

I want to see all of that with the FPS counter on and see if it never dips below the constant 60 that people are claiming.

And if you're too lazy use Fraps, if you're going to take a video, turn on your freakin' FPS counter by pressing Ctrl + Shift + F (that's the default keybind, you can change it).

Until then, I simply don't believe you that you're getting a constant 60+ FPS whereever you are.

Once the ops start kicking off my fps drop to single figures, mainly 1 fps.

Have no other real issues with fps, around 15-20 in the rep fleet with 200+ players but yeah Ilum is unplayable, all I can do is just look away from the fight and wait untill its over to move again, providing my pc doesnt crash.

Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2 (OC to 3.8)

3G RAM

Radeon HD5770

Windows XP 32bit(reason my RAM is only 3G)

All the standard pc performance checks been carried out, 30gig free, virus free, dusted, defragmented, drivers updated bla bla.

Dont expect to run the game perfect on maxed out gfx but when im above the reccomended specs id hope for more than 1fps in the main world pvp zone.

I quoted this because it is almost the same rig as mine.

Phenom II x4 945 BE 3.2 (not OC'ed)

8g Ram

Also HD 5770

Windows 7 64bit

My OS is ran off a 120gb SSD, but I run the game off 2 RAID 0 1TB 6gb/sec HDDs (so 2tb total, and they are only 12% full)

My PC is incredibly clean. Always up to date on virus stuff, scan weekly, use two different programs. I also clean my pc and HDDs regularly when I remove programs or games so there are very few things on my PC. SWTOR uses approx. 25-45% of my CPU and 17% of memory (only thing I ever have had up in background is fraps). Lastly, my pc is air cooled incredibly well, I have never had my GPU or CPU go over 60c.

I've been kind of off and on watching my FPS with both fraps and the in game meter, and these are the results.

Imp. Fleet- 55-70FPS during off Hours (60-100 people), 45-55FPS during peak (180+). On a few occassions I will see it drop to 25-35 when there is a very large crowd, like by PVP area during peak times.

Planets- 70-90FPS varies by planet and population.

Ship- 90-110FPS

Space Combat- 80-100FPS

FPs Raids- 70-80FPS

WZs- 50-70FPS (so average of 60)

Ilum- 70-90 in PVE areas, 50-80 in PVP area, 30-60 if there are 20 people around, and finally 10-20FPS if there are more than 40 people fighting.\ That's just unbearable for me.

What did I find? My FPS drops in busy areas, but in the end it is EXTREMELY obvious this game was not optimized in anyway to handle multiple animations and FX happening at the same time. WZ's aren't bad for me at all, but I feel your pain on Ilum.

Edited by IPillowPantsI

A: Most users don't really understand how their computer works in general.

B: Have barely sufficient or not enough RAM

C: Drivers are out of update or not optimized correctly.

D: Older hardware

E: PSU isn't up to spec (Not powerful enough for the entire system) for VGA.

F: Directx up to date.

G: OS up to date

H: Connection speed isn't running nearly as ISP advertised which is the case especially with Broad band as you SHARE bandwidth

I: Local network (HOUSE/Building/living area isn't configured well or busy with traffic)

J: Wireless connectivity is far less desirable because of variables to affect signal strength and considering the number of people that rely on wireless - lag, latency.

K: Overclocked PC isn't configured right/as well as it could be.

L: Heat throttling of GPU due to active/passive cooling and ambient temps

M: Applications/downloads running in the background

N: Frankly people don't want to do the work to understand their machines and run them as efficiently as they can be. They are not to different then a car, they need to be maintained and cleaned up on a regular basis.

O: Understand how the OS prioritizes applications.

P: Application isn't coded as efficiently (SWTOR)

Q: Others I can't think of at the moment.

I dont see anyone asking if these older rig people have tried the tricks to improve the problem. See my rig is pretty good, but not the high end tri-sli some are running but has no issues, but I have friends running SWTOR on lower rigs and here are a few tips I had them use to up their FPS considerably.

I will use the worst of the bach to give example:

Intel Pentium Celeron D 2.4Ghz

2Gigs DDR2 Ram

250G Western Digital Hard Drive

nVidia 6600GT Video Card

1024x768 Resolution

Windows 7 32bit

500W Antec Power Supply

Was getting 21fps in most places, in PvP premades dropped to 11fps, in illum with 20 or more people 5fps.

Changes I had him make:

Removed all unneeded programs from starting in windows (Adobe Update, Java Updater, MSI Updater etc)

Locked his network card to 10BT Full Duplex, it can do 10/100 but 100BT FD even when not being used can eat some network resources and trust me his DSL isnt near 10BT

Set Compatibility mode on the game to Windows XP SP3

Set the game to be Full Screen Windowed Mode

Set Antivirus to ignore the game folder for auto protect, except the .exe files themselves

Defragged his Hard Drive

Afterwards was getting 34fps in most places, in PvP premades 23 fps, in illum with 20 or more people 14fps.

Now these arent great numbers, but considring his rig this was a huge improvement.

So for the fun of it I decided to see what changing the compatibility mode on my PC and making it full screen windows mode would do:

On fleet I would normally get 64fps, 56fps in premades and nevern dropped below 40 on illum (prepatch)

So I made the compatibility mode and full screen window mode changes and the result was a little unexpected:

At fleet I get 81fps, 73 in premades and I honestly didnt visit Illum so no idea.

My guess is since the game engine was originally starting to be designed when Windows Vista and Windows 7 wasnt around (they share the same core engine) then Bioware was making the engine for Windows XP and of course an older DirectX.

Visibily I cant see any difference that leaps out, so if nothing else I would try just those two things and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Planar

Can anyone link to videos where ppl are NOT having fps issues?

Won't happen, because anyone that claims they can do it realizes they can't when they actually attempt it. Most the people preaching about no issue have never actually monitored the game performance.

I haven't had any FPS issues in this game so far, though I haven't been playing too long. I'm on maxed out graphics settings with my mediocre rig.

AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz quad-core

8GB RAM

500GB HDD

AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB graphics card

500W power supply

It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

A: Most users don't really understand how their computer works in general.

B: Have barely sufficient or not enough RAM

C: Drivers are out of update or not optimized correctly.

D: Older hardware

E: PSU isn't up to spec (Not powerful enough for the entire system) for VGA.

F: Directx up to date.

G: OS up to date

H: Connection speed isn't running nearly as ISP advertised which is the case especially with Broad band as you SHARE bandwidth

I: Local network (HOUSE/Building/living area isn't configured well or busy with traffic)

J: Wireless connectivity is far less desirable because of variables to affect signal strength and considering the number of people that rely on wireless - lag, latency.

K: Overclocked PC isn't configured right/as well as it could be.

L: Heat throttling of GPU due to active/passive cooling and ambient temps

M: Applications/downloads running in the background

N: Frankly people don't want to do the work to understand their machines and run them as efficiently as they can be. They are not to different then a car, they need to be maintained and cleaned up on a regular basis.

O: Understand how the OS prioritizes applications.

P: Application isn't coded as efficiently (SWTOR)

Q: Others I can't think of at the moment.

Any of these things could be true or not on a given system, yet still doesn't explain why that one system is able to run other games at the absolute highest settings without the performance issues.

Several of your possible factors involve network latency, when the issue being discussed is video framerates.

i3 540 on water 4.4ghz

560 GTX Ti Gigabyte S-O edition

8 gig ram

while questing 35-60 (vsync enabled)

some normal places casue large drops with no signs of anything demanding.

one of the space flight missions (the ice rocks one, forgot name) when Superdreadnought jumps in at the end i have 3-5 fps... in a rail shooter scene...

Intel I5 2500k Quad Core

8GN Ram

Nvidia 560Ti (MSI Twin Frozr II)

Windows 7

1TB SATA 2 HDD (32 meg cache). Standard setup.

750 PSU

Network latency to game: 56 ms

I've found one of the BIG culprits in fps drop is the "Antialiasing - Transparency" setting in the Nvidia drivers (not to be confused with the "Antialiasing" setting). If that is enabled, your FPS takes a MASSIVE hit (60 down to 20).

And you will only see an improvement by disabling it AND rebooting the game. Just disabling the feature alone won't do it.

The game also ignores any AA settings you enable in the Nvidia drivers too.

In short, don't try to use Nvidia drivers settings, this game doesn't like them.

Edited by Tarka

Any of these things could be true or not on a given system, yet still doesn't explain why that one system is able to run other games at the absolute highest settings without the performance issues.

Several of your possible factors involve network latency, when the issue being discussed is video framerates.

I am just stating they all could be contributing factors to performance.

I worked for a well known VGA manufacturer for two years doing hardware support and have seen a lot of issues related to performance. I am not claiming to be an expert. Just stating what I have seen from experience.

Even if you are getting the highest FPS possible, if your network connecting isn't at peak, then you will see performance issues that could be confused with graphical issues but more so for those that don't understand the difference. Which there are many that have really expensive computers, but don't understand how they actually function.

I am just stating they all could be contributing factors to performance.

I worked for a well known VGA manufacturer for two years doing hardware support and have seen a lot of issues related to performance. I am not claiming to be an expert. Just stating what I have seen from experience.

Even if you are getting the highest FPS possible, if your network connecting isn't at peak, then you will see performance issues that could be confused with graphical issues but more so for those that don't understand the difference. Which there are many that have really expensive (high end) computers, but don't understand how they actually function.

Or think that just because they get a higher end card that they will automatically see a drastic increase in FPS either.

yeah and why wont a Samsung OS run on my Toshiba Cell phone?

Really saying that is to make it sound as tho each game engine is the same, they are no more similiar than an Apple and an Orange, what is in common, they are fruits. Same as the only thing in common between AoC, WoW and SWTORs is they are games.

The SWTOR game engine is sorta messy, much like the early AoC, WoW and other game engines. No matter how many people you throw beta at there will be thousands of possible system combinations you didnt get to sample fps on. The engine was also originally designed with Single Core, 32bit Operating systems and Direct X 8 with about 2gigs of ram so again another restriction was the original design modules. Those are hard to update when your trying to push for a target launch date, especially when the money men dont want to hear it needs a few tweaks because 15% of the game population will have fps issues. I can all but promie the money men are the ones who pushed it out earlier than needed seeing a pre-christmas launch this year more profitably than next year. Every game company did this, even the all mighty Blizzard finally secumbed to the money men after delaying WoWs launch for nearly a year. A lead developer at Funcom had to all but threaten to quit to delay AoC just 3 months. he knew him quitting would cost a longer delay.

No MMO at launch will ever be as well polished as a single player game or an FPS. There is a reason the best FPS games only allow a limited number of total people on a server.

Edited by Planar

Videos? If you look at my guild page you will find videos of raid bosses on full settings, and if you look at my youtube channel you will find the 1x normal speed versions to get a better idea.

Cant say i've really noticed much fps problems, but the games engine is far from perfect. I.e. ilum runs smooth until a dam announcement and then for some reason the engine likes to stutter/freeze and often will close the game if it lasts more than 1-2 secs.

My core specs: CPU - i7 @ 4.8GHz, GPU - GTX 580, Ram - 16GB and run a on 120GB SSD.

Or think that just because they get a higher end card that they will automatically see a drastic increase in FPS either.

The simple fact is that the version of the HeroEngine used by SWTOR puts a great deal of pressure on the CPU and RAM, not just the Graphics Card.

Another fact is, we don't know just how well or badly the engine is coded. It's pointless comparing it to other games, because they aren't using the same tech. Some aren't even MMO's.

This is why I think it will be interesting to see how the performance is on other HeroEngine based MMO's in the future (e.g. The Repopulation MMO). If THAT MMO runs badly, and is running on a later version of the HeroEngine, then there's a good chance that the engine may be a large contributing factor. But until we have a baseline to work from (i.e. a number of MMO's using the same tech), then it's hard to pinpoint what's at fault.

So the reality is, regardless of how one feels about it, if you want to play SWTOR with minimal performance issues, you have to get a decent setup. Not just a nice graphics card, but CPU and RAM too.

Edited by Tarka

Videos? If you look at my guild page you will find videos of raid bosses on full settings, and if you look at my youtube channel you will find the 1x normal speed versions to get a better idea.

Cant say i've really noticed much fps problems, but the games engine is far from perfect. I.e. ilum runs smooth until a dam announcement and then for some reason the engine likes to stutter/freeze and often will close the game if it lasts more than 1-2 secs.

My core specs: CPU - i7 @ 4.8GHz, GPU - GTX 580, Ram - 16GB and run a on 120GB SSD.

With that rig, I'd be very surprised if you did experience many performance issues.

The simple fact is that the version of the HeroEngine used by SWTOR puts a great deal of pressure on the CPU and RAM, not just the Graphics Card.

With the nVidia monitors up for CPU and RAM I have seen no excessive usage of the CPU or RAM, my i7 sits under 21% CPU the entire time I play and my ram usage by the game rarely reaches 1.5Gigs. The GPU is another story all together

Edited by Planar

Here, let me help all of the people with awesome machines who never, ever get FPS problems.

3. Start recording

I want to see all of that with the FPS counter on and see if it never dips below the constant 60 that people are claiming.

And if you're too lazy use Fraps, if you're going to take a video, turn on your freakin' FPS counter by pressing Ctrl + Shift + F (that's the default keybind, you can change it).

Until then, I simply don't believe you that you're getting a constant 60+ FPS whereever you are.

Good for you, I don't believe in GOD, But then who am I to tell the other 4 billion people Globally, that he does not exist...!!!

All I ever see in these Thread's is Hundred's of people saying they don't have issue's, and Hundred's saying they do....

End of the day, I believe what I see, and I don't have ANY F.P.S issues what so ever...If I open and close 10 windows at the same time spamming them to death, Then yes I have a problem..... Difference is I dont complain about it because ~NORMAL people don't do that....!!

Another fact is, we don't know just how well or badly the engine is coded. It's pointless comparing it to other games, because they aren't using the same tech. Some aren't even MMO's.

This is why I think it will be interesting to see how the performance is on other HeroEngine based MMO's in the future (e.g. The Repopulation MMO). If THAT MMO runs badly, and is running on a later version of the HeroEngine, then there's a good chance that the engine may be a large contributing factor. But until we have a baseline to work from (i.e. a number of MMO's using the same tech), then it's hard to pinpoint what's at fault.

So the reality is, regardless of how one feels about it, if you want to play SWTOR with minimal performance issues, you have to get a decent setup. Not just a nice graphics card, but CPU and RAM too.

This is true. Core 2 on my 965 is typically pushing 28% while the others are sitting at around 22%-ish. I stay at about 30% used RAM. The GPU has gotten up to 155F in Warzones.

I know that WoW was very similar. It was a CPU hog. You could have a ****** 7000 series GPU, but if you have a lackluster CPU you wouldn't go anywhere fast. It pulled straight from the CPU. Now, I will say that the 965 Black Edition has yet to fail me. I could have gotten an i7, but I really liked how the 965 BE threaded and performed, plus the price was nice for an easily overclockable CPU.

I built my brother's desktop with a similar setup, but he decided to use Crossfire with 6800 series cards since he plays Crysis alot. I'm not sure if ToR allows for Crossfire, but I know that WoW didn't.

Most people will see a performance increase when frapsing if they use a second hard drive. Your primary is trying to read and write too much at the same time and that's one of the many reasons most will see huge drops in FPS. It doesn't matter how great your rig is, you'll drop. Use a second hard drive. I use a 2TB portable drive with USB3.0 and have mine locked at 50fps. I could do more, but what's the point?

Edited by Gahllu

Another fact is, we don't know just how well or badly the engine is coded. It's pointless comparing it to other games, because they aren't using the same tech.

We do know for a fact "just how well or badly the engine is coded".

We know it's not very well and in many instances pretty badly.

That's fact.

Also, it is not pointless to compare it to other games because they "aren't using the same tech". They are using better tech, which makes this garbage tech seem all the worse.

ie your argument is essentially "if you didn't know how much better things could be this wouldn't seem so bad." And for that you fail like the failboat that is the TORtanic.

Guess not everyone is having problems with ilum and that's on full graphic options aswell. Phew, haven't gotten there yet and was kinda worried. Glad it isn't as bad as people tend to make it.

graphic settings doesn't really change anything (maybe shadows/AA does, don't use em)

but having maxed everything else and 1920x1080 gives the same FPS as everything on low and 800x600 resolution in Ilum

FPS issues. Some ppl say they have them, some ppl say they can run the game "fine" on older or lower spec machines. I personally find that 90% of the time my game is fine when I'm leveling getting around 30-60 fps (and we all know that leveling is mostly a solo game). In WZ fps can drop. Illum was bad with more than 10 vs 10, and I have a pretty decent rig*.

I have seen many videos of ppl WITH fps issues. Low fps in Ilum, pausing when interface windows appear, etc. What I don't see, but often see claims of, are videos where ppl don't have these issues.

Can anyone link to videos where ppl are NOT having fps issues?

NOTE: This isn't intended as a "if you can't show me you don't have problems then you are lying." thread. I'm just curious how the other side live and a video would show me. With a video I can compare you relative settings to mine. (Maybe I'm being ambitious and have my settings too high.)

My Rig:

i7 2600k

16gb Corsair Vengence

Asus P8Z68V-3

AMD XFX 7970

Samsung 830 128gb

Win7 64bit

I also have a RamDisk running for the SWTOR cache (The jury is out on whether this helps with an ssd)

Ok i have no FPS issues.

The only issue is when i record something the RECORDER will take to good of a video and a simple 2 mins will be 3 gigs. I have some Videos up that are set to 30 FPS do to how long it will take to get it to Upload. So everyone who does record will always lower the quaility of the recording from 70fps*yes i have 70* to 30 Fps

3. Start recording

Fraps Drops my FPS 10-14FPS when I am runing it in a recording quality you can actually read the FPS display at 1920x1080, if i did an iPhone 4S recording of a close up of my FPS you would say I was facing a wall in my ship as you reason I was at my FPS. So I guess I should go out and buy a studio quality HDMI recording device so I can make a video without FPS loss to show you because I give a crap you dont beleive me.. guess what you buy it, ship it to me and I will make your recording, until you are willing to do that ASK people to present their videos, dont TELL them they are liars because they dont have the same problem you do.

Edited by Planar