this game is great but needs a few changes to surpass wow

BHatz

honestly there are a few things that are really stupid in this game. for one. companions. i know a lot of people like them but honestly i dont like relying on a companion to help me fight. compare it to wow not every class had a companion or pet and the ones that did werent that strong without their pets so they needed them. and then there is the world, it needs to be more open like wow. and the abilities. there is very little need to rotate your abilities just spam the same attack several times and throw something else in to tweak it. it is hard to find gear or an instance run. in wow you can enter a queue which makes it easier. this star fox starship bs has got to go. the game feels more like a single player game than an mmo. and if that is the case lower the monthly price from $15. there needs to be more cross faction areas, i have played up to level 23 which is nearly half way to max and have not seen one sith pass by let alone try to gank me. ganking adds to the challenge. nearly every great mmo has it. and the pvp arenas need work. how the hell do you expect a level 15 to jump into a match with a bunch of level 50s and survive? the only thing that keeps me going with this game is the storyline. i love the story line and not having to read every quest like in wow. but honestly i am probably going to end up going back to wow. i had much higher hopes for swtor but it seems that it is going to end up flopping like swg did. you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.

I'm not reading that

EDIT: Decided to read and list his points to save future readers

1) Companions suck because they're mandatory and hunters in WoW weren't very uselful without their pets while leveling: They are there to augment your single player experience, use your healing companion if they bother you so you are only losing downtime. Your second point goes without saying

2) World needs to be more open like WoW: I think it's the cohesion of not having a continent together with easy access to zones that is throwing everybody off. Personally something does feel up I just can't put my finger on it.

3) Abilties are stupid and one button rules them all: No, the abilities in this game are pretty decent, every spec has easy to discern optimal specs and situational abilities. Some specs are just more fun then others

4) It's impossible to find instances: Yes, yes and more yes.

5) "Starfox bs has got to go",: I like it, however it has no staying power for me personally and I won't constantly redo them over and over again. So yeah I'd rather they scrap it for something else that has more longevity.

6) Feels like a single player game: Yeah, there is a disturbing trend in MMORPG's to become increasingly single player, it's just good business. However there needs to be a lot of good multiple player options that warrant the 15 dollar price tag which I'm not 100% convinced of yet

7) More cross faction areas, played to 23 and haven't seen another opposing player: I'm level 47 and the only republic player I've seen on Shadow Hand US is in PvP.

8) Ganking adds to the challenge, we need it: : o

9) "How do you expect a lvl 15 to jump into a match with a level 50" Short: they can't anymore. Long: It keeps queues down, if queues are reasonable certain problems that go with it are ok. I'd rather see X-PvP and have proper brackets personally.

10) I love the storyline: Me too

11) I am probably going to go back to WoW: Me too

12) The game is going to flop like SWG did: I thought SWG didn't flop?Time with tell with this game, they are off to an OK start but they need to work on the population fragmentation issue

14) you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.: And birds go tweet

Edited by Touchbass

honestly there are a few things that are really stupid in this game. for one. companions. i know a lot of people like them but honestly i dont like relying on a companion to help me fight. compare it to wow not every class had a companion or pet and the ones that did werent that strong without their pets so they needed them. and then there is the world, it needs to be more open like wow. and the abilities. there is very little need to rotate your abilities just spam the same attack several times and throw something else in to tweak it. it is hard to find gear or an instance run. in wow you can enter a queue which makes it easier. this star fox starship bs has got to go. the game feels more like a single player game than an mmo. and if that is the case lower the monthly price from $15. there needs to be more cross faction areas, i have played up to level 23 which is nearly half way to max and have not seen one sith pass by let alone try to gank me. ganking adds to the challenge. nearly every great mmo has it. and the pvp arenas need work. how the hell do you expect a level 15 to jump into a match with a bunch of level 50s and survive? the only thing that keeps me going with this game is the storyline. i love the story line and not having to read every quest like in wow. but honestly i am probably going to end up going back to wow. i had much higher hopes for swtor but it seems that it is going to end up flopping like swg did. you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.

I think your enter key is broken, at least there are no paragraphs at all.

Guys...

Don't be so quick to criticize the man's writing skills.

He could be some literary savant incomprehensible by us common folk.

We may be in the presence of a modern James Joyce , this post being his first steps toward a new Finnegans Wake.

Edited by Blavatsky

same.

the only thing swtor needs to do to surpass wow is wait. blizz is doing all the work for them.

some pretty tough talk there bud.

You have no idea ..

A wave of panda pokemon action is about to overrun the gaming world. MMO will never be the same.

If SWTOR was going to have any effect on ...well ANY MMO it would have happened by now.

OP you need to understand some people do not like to read. Now this is not a put down all you have to do is open a book and (I will lose some here) alot of good books have more then 3-6 lines in a paragraph. And if we go back to older texts to some great reading.. you are readying pages of "I can't read that, wall of text".

I guess you can just hi-light it and have MAC read it to you?

HAHA its a game no more no less. Your posting on a gaming forum that you can't read what 11 lines.

Want a truth? Your paying for a game where they have made it clear from the start its all about MONEY not players. No I am not.. no I don't post this has been the ONLY one for weeks.

Great game just not enough people in zones for ME. And patch 1.2 will not fix it.

If SWTOR was going to have any effect on ...well ANY MMO it would have happened by now.

OP you need to understand some people do not like to read. Now this is not a put down all you have to do is open a book and (I will lose some here) alot of good books have more then 3-6 lines in a paragraph. And if we go back to older texts to some great reading.. you are readying pages of "I can't read that, wall of text".

HAHA its a game no more no less. Your posting on a gaming forum that you can't read what 11 lines.

Want a truth? Your paying for a game where they have made it clear from the start its all about MONEY not players. No I am not.. no I don't post this has been the ONLY one for weeks.

Great game just not enough people in zones for ME. And patch 1.2 will not fix it.

People are perfectly fine with reading as long as it uses a reasonable amount of formatting and grammar.

However, no one will read the ramblings of what seems to be an illiterate twelve year old, it is beneath most of us.

People are perfectly fine with reading as long as it uses a reasonable amount of formatting and grammar.

However, no one will read the ramblings of what seems to be an illiterate twelve year old, it is beneath most of us.

I put the text into Visa's voice/text service, real good times

Your writing style doesn't support your support of the OP's writing style. :)

On topic, I think the only thing that will topple WoW is cheaper technology, a shift in the MMO paradigm, and time.

As long as MMOs have the current design... and as long as there are players that can only play on dial-up with 10 year old computers... WoW will continue to be a cultural phenomenon.

^ Pure WoWtard

Ar least he gave reasons for why he is Not happy with the game, Your post is less than useless.

I came here from World of warcraft... played a month, Loved it.. I loved it so Much, I unsubscribed from World of Warcraft, and re-upped another month here.

I was prepared to give up WoW for this. Then I realized that this game is very, very linear. I realized that it was a single player console game, tjhat at the present time cannot justify it's $15 monthly. The Missions are repetative. I played a sage to 29, then I decided I wanted to try a shadow,... except that meant going back to taris.... and repeating the same exact experience, except for a few class only missions, it was mostly the same exact thing. Instead of The green Lizard jumping in to help me fight, I had a Little droid.

Say what you want about World of Warcraft, Or Everquest 1.( which i am still playing). But there is a HUGE playspace. There are many different things you can do in WoW and EQ. In ToR, I can either level up on taris..... or... taris...then I can go to nar shaddaa, or... nar shaddaa.... but wait, before I go to either I have to... have to go to coruscant... and Play through aBunch of Missions that are mandatory.... if I want a space ship. ( did i mention Linear already?)

Invisible walls, and bread crumbs leading you down the ONLY path... ok, maybe I do this 1 Mission out of 4 available missions, before I do One of the other 3... and maybe that opens Up a different mission line...

Crafting. At first the concept intrigued me, but then I realized. If all the items I need to make the stuff I craft I can get all on my own...I do not need anyone else.. ( single player console game thinking...NOT an MMO)... and it is funny, because anything that drops is better than anything you can craft at the level... In order to make a crafted item better than a drop... you need to sink cash into it, and time. And if you had put the time into doing Instances..( if you can find a group)... you Not only find better stuff, but more cash, instead of having spent cash.

The game has a lot of good points, and it has some bad ones. the Ones above are just a couple of the ones i could think of at the drop of a har, that turn me off to thisn game. Mostly it adds up to one simple sentence.

This is a single player console game, as such, ir could have sold for $59 but then.... it tries to charge a Monthly of $15 on top.

In My opinion, the Monthly is Not at this time Justified.

You have 14 days of play time remaining. When your play time runs out, you will no longer be able to play. Please sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code.
Edited by Nerelith

This is more in responceto the Op not you touch. But since you were nice enough to make the OP post readable ill reply here.

I'm not reading that

EDIT: Decided to read and list his points to save future readers

1) Companions suck because they're mandatory and hunters in WoW weren't very uselful without their pets while leveling: They are there to augment your single player experience, use your healing companion if they bother you so you are only losing downtime. Your second point goes without saying

The pets here are great one for every need you have while solo!

2) World needs to be more open like WoW: I think it's the cohesion of not having a continent together with easy access to zones that is throwing everybody off. Personally something does feel up I just can't put my finger on it.

I personally prefer the swtor world

3) Abilties are stupid and one button rules them all: No, the abilities in this game are pretty decent, every spec has easy to discern optimal specs and situational abilities. Some specs are just more fun then others

I have played and leveled commando, shadow tank, gunslinger and sentinel to level 50 none of them are one button wonders!

4) It's impossible to find instances: Yes, yes and more yes.

LOL all but a couple of them are in one spot on the fleets. Impossible to find groups for instances i will agree with!

5) "Starfox bs has got to go",: I like it, however it has no staying power for me personally and I won't constantly redo them over and over again. So yeah I'd rather they scrap it for something else that has more longevity.

I hated it at first now i like it as a relaxing side game.

6) Feels like a single player game: Yeah, there is a disturbing trend in MMORPG's to become increasingly single player, it's just good business. However there needs to be a lot of good multiple player options that warrant the 15 dollar price tag which I'm not 100% convinced of yet

This one i completely agree with but i like that in a lot of ways.

7) More cross faction areas, played to 23 and haven't seen another opposing player: I'm level 47 and the only republic player I've seen on Shadow Hand US is in PvP.

NO to more of those.I play on a pve server and all i care to see is npc enemies! LMFAO well i see most of your problem your only level 23....That explains most of your other points!

Well now this one statement speaks volumes as your your attitude!

9) "How do you expect a lvl 15 to jump into a match with a level 50" Short: they can't anymore. Long: It keeps queues down, if queues are reasonable certain problems that go with it are ok. I'd rather see X-PvP and have proper brackets personally.

I wouldnt want a level 15 to jump into a match with a 50 anyways! Go level!

10) I love the storyline: Me too

The story here is the best i have experienced in 12 plus years of gaming. Good thing it is because its the one thing making me hold on in hope.

11) I am probably going to go back to WoW: Me too

I never left it or rift.

12) The game is going to flop like SWG did: I thought SWG didn't flop?Time with tell with this game, they are off to an OK start but they need to work on the population fragmentation issue

I wouldnt say swg was a flop. I will say it was a niche market game that stayed niche for a lot of reasons but lasted 10 years or so.

14) you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.: And birds go tweet

I am no swtor fan boy here but the pints you brought up are not the reasons swtor will have problems.

Lack of any cross server tools such as pvp, lfg systems, chats, friends list or guilds will hurt swtor badly. They are working on them but time will tell if it lands soon enough. Add in their reluctance to go cross server with the lfg will hurt badly as more hit the level cap.

Lack of Transfers

Lack of ui customization will also hurt but we should have that soonish.

For some reason when I read this, I had to laugh heartily. Dont know why, though Im sure someone will eventually call me a care bear for not wanting to be actively ganked while leveling by a capped character.

And how I supposed to read this text puke. You know capital letters are good to begin sentences. And a key called Enter exists on the keyboard . I heard it´s pretty good to make paragraphs.