Darthater asks BW about engine optimization.

Rogoo

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't people go for the obvious problems of:

- game locks up when you open a UI element (e.g. inventory opening)

- game locks up when you get a quest update (e.g. Ilum)

It's clear the engine is a mess.

Never had either of these problems. This may not be as pervasive as you believe.

I can count on one hand the issues that were server side and its still not 5.

Most lag issues are the rig or ISP.Thats about 90% at least.

Other issues are the human element, third party apps,or incompatible systems.

But don't take my word for it since EA has a log of how many times I successfully connect and play.

As far as FPS goes I get a steady 25 to 40 on a 5 year old system.

Edited by Akomo
addition

It's entertaining watching people jump onto a (mistakenly) necro'd thread. ;)

It is quite amusing - just about a year exactly too!

Anyway since we are here - I have the game installed on three different machines - 2 laptops and 1 desktop and only ever experienced the CTD issue way back in 1.3 or 1.4 which was quickly resolved. The desktop is 4 years old and the older of the two laptops is 2.5 years.

BJ

This is always something I don't understand. Why didn't they make a new engine or use one their existing engines? Like CryEngine 3 or Frostbyte 2.

No, instead they choose a half-assed, poorly optimized 3rd party engine that no one has heard of.

Games like this are in development for years, and have a lead in time that is even longer. The developers need to pick a game engine years before they kick development into high gear. The Hero engine at the time looked like a good match with a decent performance and good set of periferal programs that would greatly speed up development cycles (easier to get various types of content into the game).

By the time the issues with the high demand of large® numbers of PvP came to light it was far too late to change the game engine. For most of the PvE and the smaller PvP arenas the Hero engine performs quite well and can do even better than Bioware is comfortable with allowing (the cut scenes are the engine at the highest resolution it is capable of, but in normal gameplay that quality would lead to FPS jumping all over the place from 0.1 to 100 depending on how many models and textures came into view).

Why the necro? :eek: Old threads should have their titles auto-changed to bright red font when they get necroed. :p

For the record though.... my laptop (which is a now a 2 year old Asus Gaming laptop) plays this game just fine and always has, even back in the early days when many people were having real struggles.

Edited by Andryah

Source: http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19981-guild-summit-interview-with-daniel-erickson/page-2

Q: Where are you on game engine optimizations? Because I currently get about 5 to 10 frames per second on Alderaan and about 20 in Huttball and I have a PC that can run Crysis 2 at ultra. With no real explanation on what is going on.

A: "Wow. You should do some investigation, because that is not typical. [...]

10 FP on Alderaan IS odd. There's not a single planet that I get less than 20 FPS on even when I'm lagging a lot.

If you're getting 5-10 frames on a planet then that's atypical.

Now sub 20 FPS on fleet is something that bugs me, but that's not atypical, a million players get low FPS on fleet once there's 200+ people.

So saying that you should do some investigation because you're getting 5-10 FPS on Alderaan? Yes, I would do some investigation if I were you.