To many abilities - piano playing must be reduced...

MuNieK

And that's where most MMO's go wrong, even if they are successful MMOs.

Potato, potatoe....call it dumbing down the game if you'd like, I'll call it making the game more enjoyable and immersive. Call it what you want, but an overabundance of skills has always been a teeter-totter issue in MMO's. You may not agree, and you don't have to, but there are many successful and skillful players that do agree that less skills makes a game better.

So you say that an MMO what works like this are wrong even if they are succesull. And for sure you cant be wrong.

Many succesfull players agree with less skills make a game better and many are not so whats your point? This is only a personal taste.

You cant say that they games are succesfull but they are wrong, they are succesfull for some reasons. Too bad you dont enjoy the game and you still play this but its only bad for you.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing a hybrid dps sorc which is purely proc based but I never look at the GUI - the game helpfully lets me know when the proc is up by playing a graphic on my character. And if I miss the graphic, my character continues to glow blue as long as Wrath is up.

And hypothetically, if there were 300 skills in the game, each of them having a unique purpose? In the first place no one would be able to design such a system. But if there was, I would love to try and play it: I suspect the skill gap between the bad players who can't even handle 30 skills and the good players who master all 300 would be gigantic. Look forward to seeing how I stomp you in that game =)

I mean this completely sincerely: learn to play - literally.

I don't understand your defense of a poor design. How about showing visual effect on the character or sound trigger instead of paying attention at a row of tiny icon to show that a target is bleeding. I dint think I am playing tetris.

Edited by khoido

OP, I disagree. I like having a lot of abilities, and I really like having a lot of key binds. Rather than fewer abilities, I'd prefer to see some very simple macro capability to help us consolidate our key binds (i.e., the ability to put charge/intervene on the same key bind). Edited by belialle

This thread is a joke. 9 pages of QQ. You can play PvP comfortably with 6-7 skills, but learning to use more than those is what sets players apart. The skills are already dimmed down. Simply put, you can play "comfortably" with 6-7 skills, but if you want to improve your skill, dmg, heals, etc., you have to learn to utilize a wide spectrum of abilities.

This thread is a joke. 9 pages of QQ. You can play PvP comfortably with 6-7 skills, but learning to use more than those is what sets players apart. The skills are already dimmed down. Simply put, you can play "comfortably" with 6-7 skills, but if you want to improve your skill, dmg, heals, etc., you have to learn to utilize a wide spectrum of abilities.

as i said... you belong to those who call agility of fingers with just a bit of thinking a "skill". We wont undrstund each other.

Edited by MuNieK

do we have that many buttons? As a slinger:

attaxx:

trickshot

charged burst

aimed shot

quickdraw

speedshots

dirty kick

autoattack

sabotage charge

flyby

those are the ones I use for the most part. We've got some others but it's not too important to use them as a sharpshooter spec.

Utility(defensive)

take cover in place

roll into cover

hunker down

evasion

blue shield thing

big blue bubble thing

cover pulse

Utility(etc)

sweeping fire

smuggler's luck

flashbang

dotshot

flourish shot

rootshot

interrupt

anti-cover grenade

buff$

smuggler buff

skill stim

sprint!?!?!( I CAN TAKE THIS OF MY BARS WHY HAVEN'T I)

relic 1

relic 2

power adrenal

wz adrenal

medpack

wz medpack

speedshots

cool head

alarcity buff

it looks like a lot and my bars are basically all full, but I can reach everything in the first 3 spots without moving my left hand? It's just all the keys 6 and to the left and some shift modifiers! I click the bigtime buffs/adrenal$ since I usually want to make using them a distinct decision, although I have hotkeys for them just incase. Use more shift/ctrl/alt modifiers and you can fit literally everything without too much trouble. Really it's not that hectic?

I probably should put shrapnel grenade somewhere but I can't think of a time when I'd need to use it. orz

Where is the skill in pvp if you only have to use a few abilities... You post is a QQ. Just learn to play the game. Your entire reasoning behind less keys is the EXACT REASON for having many abilities.

I don't understand your defense of a poor design. How about showing visual effect on the character or sound trigger instead of paying attention at a row of tiny icon to show that a target is bleeding. I dint think I am playing tetris.

I don't find it to be a poor design, quite obviously, lol.

Edited by vimm

Okay, I'm going to try to be more constructive here. If you don't have a good key binding setup, making one is half the battle. Since you hate using so many abilities, only use the important ones. Many players get away with this. You should do fine like this, you just won't utilize the class to its full potential. On the other hand, if it's hard for you to use so many abilities, build yourself up, slowly incorporating more keys as you play more.

As for simplifying the game, dimming down the abilities will only take away from the competitive edge. It will never happen. You need to accept this and either choose to use a limited set of abilities or learn to use all the abilities.

I really like the abundance of abilities in SWTOR.

Depending on your build you can always ignore a few

but most of them are really useful.

But indeed for someone using a standard mouse and kb

it really must be like playing piano given the additional

bindings for stims,relics etc.

REALLY.. players like the OP are the reason MMO's have been reduced/ruined to easy mode. There are chars in this game that are easy to play. Pick one of them. Do not touch mine.

I second that. play a Sorc. Its a well known easymode class.

And let's just have one ability with one cooldown that works according to target, let's not forget that by doing that, the one ability will not be usable again before the cooldown is over.

Meaning if I intercede my friend, I can't charge an enemy.

This is indeed the best way to hamper your options in pvp, I like it.

So to emphasize what a previous poster wrote, in regards to only having 4 abilities....

Let's just have 4 abilities which work on friends and foes in different ways, allowing me to not have any skill, and kill people who actually try to help their friends, because if they do they can't do anything else.

Edited by Zoggel
Rude

A lot of abilities often allows the commited player to distance oneself from casual player, as he is able to utilize these abilities to his advantage.

So no, don't remove any abilities. Give troopers and BH's more while we're at it.