Interesting article on SWTOR

jimmyquinella

Ultimately many of the expectations came from the immortal words of 'we can't talk about that'.

If when asked how story would interact with the MMO element of the game and told you might get an e-mail about something you did then this would have stoped people thinking that MMO and story would be intergrated.

When asked how they would explain a trooper taking down a Jedi we were told well the Jedi will just be a basic jedi but the trooper will be the best and most highly trained. Turns out the JC was more powerful in the force at 5 than his master. Doesn't sound that basic, if Bioware had just said we aren't then people wouldn't have expected anything else.

The list goes on and on about things people formed expectations about cause the communication wasn't clear.

Being disappointed by the game is fair enough. People have different expectations and if some of those come from lack of communication that's a valid reason

However, that doesn't justify the amount of toxic posts and threads on these forums in any way

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being disappointed by the game is fair enough. People have different expectations and if some of those come from lack of communication that's a valid reason

However, that doesn't justify the amount of toxic posts and threads on these forums in any way

Toxicity comes from both sides, unfortunately.

The interesting thing about this particular community is the degree of hate and love on both sides of the aisle. There is little to no common ground from those that say, "nothing is good" and those that say, "everything is good". That, is what makes for the hostility.

Thats part of the problem though.

Bioware did communicate. Its been up there, in black and white since before launch. They told you how it was going to work. Then they gave everyone free time in game that registered. And people STILL go rabid wombat all over the forums.

The one constant that is true, is no matter what game comes out, unless its a virtual reality, hands free, comes with its own system, runs without a glitch ever, requires no patching and has insta content, that feeds you, changes you, and gives you a happy ending, people are gonna complain.

Loudly.

Voraciously.

And with great venom.

Quite frankly... People are idiots.

The argument that SW:TOR is better than WoW when WoW was 3-months old doesn't hold water.

SW:TOR isn't competing against 2004 WoW, or 2006 LOTRO, etc.

It's competing against thier 2012 versions, and all the features/polish these games have TODAY.

You can't make a WoW-clone game that doesn't have at least all the same features and gamer comforts at minimum and expect success.

The argument that SW:TOR is better than WoW when WoW was 3-months old doesn't hold water.

It's competing against thier 2012 versions, and all the features/polish these games have TODAY.

You can't make a WoW-clone game that doesn't have at least all the same features and gamer comforts at minimum and expect success.

I rest my case.

How does it not?

If they pissed off the majority of the people who purchased the game....then wouldnt a majority of the threads and posts be negative as well?

Perhaps for some people. But for others, they understand a new MMO simply can't compete with one that has been polished and patched for years.

3-month old WoW felt like it had way more to do at lv60 than lv50 in SWTOR.

I totally disagree. In fact, their forums had comments very similar to ones here for people who reached max level in the first 60-90 days. There were just less of them since the leveling time was much longer.

Edited by Drewser

I rest my case.

That it's OK to release a buggy, glitchy, low-performance, modestly content-complete MMO into todays market?

FWIW, I didn't even leave SW:TOR for its issues. I left because my guild/friends list went empty.

So in other words i was right. You can't even ignore people because what if they disagreed with you. Ahhh the youth today. I blame the parents

I am not sure you are winning this one. And to continue to refer to someone as a kid or youth that you don't know, is not helping. It actually makes you look foolish!

I am not sure you are winning this one. And to continue to refer to someone as a kid or youth that you don't know, is not helping. It actually makes you look foolish!

Uhm ok?

Who said anything about winning? I mean, what possessed you to think i care what you think about it?

I'm merely calling him out based on earlier comments which you probably know nothing about

Feel free to make yourself look more foolish though:cool:

Edited by lineschmidt

How does it not?

If they pissed off the majority of the people who purchased the game....then wouldnt a majority of the threads and posts be negative as well?

Because normal people accept that sometimes a product is just not for them. They don't feel the need to go on and on ranting about it on forums. They just move on

Hence the phrase TORchan, filled with self entitled children who aren't aware the universe doesn't revolve around them

I don't go into Starbucks, stand on a chair and shout about why i dislike them. I just don't buy anything there. Anything else would be stupid

Because normal people accept that sometimes a product is just not for them. They don't feel the need to go on and on ranting about it on forums. They just move on

Hence the phrase TORchan, filled with self entitled children who aren't aware the universe doesn't revolve around them

I don't go into Starbucks, stand on a chair and shout about why i dislike them. I just don't buy anything there. Anything else would be stupid

I will never understand the people that hang on forums of games they hate/dislike.

Uhm ok?

Who said anything about winning? I mean, what possessed you to think i care what you think about it?

I'm merely calling him out based on earlier comments which you probably know nothing about

Feel free to make yourself look more foolish though:cool:

Constructive feedback might be hard to take sometimes. But calling people (that you don't know) kid or youth is not a winning proposition. You don't have to care what I think, but I am just trying to share how you are coming across. Since this is a public forum that we SW players can use to discuss different topics, I have every right to comment on your posts. You don't have to like it though.

And obviously, you didn't! :)

Constructive feedback might be hard to take sometimes. But calling people (that you don't know) kid or youth is not a winning proposition. You don't have to care what I think, but I am just trying to share how you are coming across. Since this is a public forum that we SW players can use to discuss different topics, I have every right to comment on your posts. You don't have to like it though.

And obviously, you didn't! :)

Never told you not to comment now did i?

I just stated i don't care what you think

It's your right to comment on it even if you have no clue what's going on but if you do i reserve the right to think you look more foolish for commenting on something where you don't know what's going on

Edited by lineschmidt

Then I'm not normal, in fact, I know I'm not. I play alot of games and have since I started playing Jumpman on the PC in 84(ya know, when I was a kid). People like me know the difference in when a product is not for them and when a product is the result of horrid design and cooperate greed trying to pull a fast one on "normal" people.

Then I'm not normal, in fact, I know I'm not. I play alot of games and have since I started playing Jumpman on the PC in 84(ya know, when I was a kid). People like me know the difference in when a product is not for them and when a product is the result of horrid design and cooperate greed trying to pull a fast one on "normal" people.

Fallacies, get them while they're hot

Again - spending time and money on a product you dislike is just downright stupid

Who knew we had Ralph Nader here, looking out for the "common" man.

BTW, I assume you meant corporate greed.

i thought the point about other games about to release should take note. i been thinking this for awhile now. i been seeing a lot of:

"i'm only playing to GW2 comes out anyway"

or

"guild wars 2, will show BW how it is done"

oo these ppl are in for such a disappointing summer

Edited by grandmthethird