Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.2 = best pvp gear for free, and no reason to play rated. people are quitting

fendergibson

I can feel the pain.

I have already seen ******* who don't care about winning, farming valor since 1.1.5.

BW is good at offiline stuffs but totally newb in PVP.

The devs really need to play other games like DoAC or WAR etc. than just reffering to WoW.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe we need to trim any fat. Game has already lost a substantial amount of players. The ravager was like the 2nd most active EU English server behind Tomb of Freedom Nad and now has 80 people at repub fleet at primetime. Already takes 10-15mins for matches on a regular day. Frankly I need all the opponents I can get, good or bad, regardless of how they wish to play their game.

And my arbitrary 4 competent premade per servers at least means something to my server. Just cause its MY opinion doesnt mean it isnt a valid one. Especially as I have stated my server began as a very active one being on "FULL" most of the time, and now I dont even know if there are 4 guilds who can field 8 players, nevermind them being competent actually.

Point is, the game is bleeding subs, so people on these forums shouldnt be so quick to dismiss others and be like "k goodbye". Cause end of the day, if there is a pvp ladder with like 4 or maybe even 5 teams on it, no one will really care much about it.

I don't think that fear of losing subscribers is a good enough reason to push for an inferior PvP experience, just to cater to a crowd of people who will most likely leave when the NEXT thing doesn't please them.

PvP needs to have a basic fairness attached to it for it to be considered anything but a gimmick, and allowing certain players to attain better gear based on the fact that they dinged 50 in January instead of February undermines the very spirit of competition, imo.

I wasn't saying that your opinion isn't a valid one, I'm saying that it doesn't pertain to everyone. Personally, my server is "Heavy" right now as I type this, so I've never felt the stress of "omg everyone is leaving the game". There are still many servers like mine.

I don't think that fear of losing subscribers is a good enough reason to push for an inferior PvP experience, just to cater to a crowd of people who will most likely leave when the NEXT thing doesn't please them.

PvP needs to have a basic fairness attached to it for it to be considered anything but a gimmick, and allowing certain players to attain better gear based on the fact that they dinged 50 in January instead of February undermines the very spirit of competition, imo.

I wasn't saying that your opinion isn't a valid one, I'm saying that it doesn't pertain to everyone. Personally, my server is "Heavy" right now as I type this, so I've never felt the stress of "omg everyone is leaving the game". There are still many servers like mine.

Well I am assuming if they have waited until now that they arent exactly the kind of people to leave as soon as something doesnt please them. I mean lets face it, there have already been a numerous amount of failures which tested peoples patience.

That basic fairness can still be present even if a small step up in gear is given. For example between battlemaster gear and champion gear the gap is barely noticeable. A 4 rating difference in gear between those who put more effort in is hardly going to break the game.

Spending time to get something shouldnt be shun upon. Whether people study in university to be more prepared to take an exam, or athletes train to become more buff and capable. A time sink should be rewarded, even if minimally to give the illusion of reward, and for some that reward needs to be something in gear progression. This approach is perfectly understandable. A fighter goes to the gym to get stronger to effectively compete more, yes he also develops his "skill and technique" by practicing the mode of fight as well, but you could very well consider buffing and toning as getting an inherent advantage.

Take it from someone who comes from Guild Wars, where you get max level and best gear in 10 hours. I pvped for 5 years on an equal playing field playing exclusively for monthly tournaments and a ladder rank. But that doesnt mean the goal of obtaining gear is an invalid one.

End of the day, I want people to compete against. And it isnt going to be the hard working father who logs on for 1 hour a day who is going to give me my fix of competition. Its going to be that guy grinding 10 hours a day to get that slight gear advantage. And this is simply the undeniable truth. Skilled people who play for nothing but pvp are far and few between and you cannot drive an entire competitive ladder based solely on these people. Because people like that play games like LoL or SC2, not this casual pvp.

Truncated for length. : )

I'm not disparaging rewards for time spent playing, I just don't feel that it should be a STAT-based reward that gives a player an advantage over someone else.

There are really so many other things that could be awarded; continually making it about having better stats simply makes it seem like people want the advantage itself, and not a "reward".

I'm not disparaging rewards for time spent playing, I just don't feel that it should be a STAT-based reward that gives a player an advantage over someone else.

There are really so many other things that could be awarded; continually making it about having better stats simply makes it seem like people want the advantage itself, and not a "reward".

Well I guess what people want is a reward that indicates to the opponent that you earned something. The stat people seek is simply to emphasize that they are better players by allowing them to kill the opponent faster. I genuinely think its not that these people need a clutch to compete... why would they, they had to work to reach that gear if it was a grind, so clearly if they got there they did something. Its hardly reasonable to consider someone playing 1000 warzones to get an advantage to then what.... win more warzones? for what?

People posting and telling others who want more gear that they "NEED" this advantage are just saying so to comfort themselves.

The demand for gear is to put yourself above your opponent because you did more than them. And in all honesty a mount isnt going to cut it, cause I cant ride mounts in the warzone can I?

The only thing there is, is different colored armor, but I mean it just isnt so interesting because the games graphics arent super appealing. I mean if they gave me a cool looking armor set fine, but a simple color change feels so half assed its sad. Ladder ranking will work fine in the end, but that requires cross server queing to bring in more competition. Untill then I dont think a rating 144 set of gear you need to work towards will break the game, nor do I think people who strive for it are "baddies" who cant play without the gear. Cause they clearly play the game to get that gear initially.

Edited by JackMinn

Well I guess what people want is a reward that indicates to the opponent that you earned something. The stat people seek is simply to emphasize that they are better players by allowing them to kill the opponent faster. I genuinely think its not that these people need a clutch to compete... why would they, they had to work to reach that gear if it was a grind, so clearly if they got there they did something. Its hardly reasonable to consider someone playing 1000 warzones to get an advantage to then what.... win more warzones? for what?

People posting and telling others who want more gear that they "NEED" this advantage are just saying so to comfort themselves.

The demand for gear is to put yourself above your opponent because you did more than them. And in all honesty a mount isnt going to cut it, cause I cant ride mounts in the warzone can I?

The only thing there is, is different colored armor, but I mean it just isnt so interesting because the games graphics arent super appealing. I mean if they gave me a cool looking armor set fine, but a simple color change feels so half assed its sad. Ladder ranking will work fine in the end, but that requires cross server queing to bring in more competition. Untill then I dont think a rating 144 set of gear you need to work towards will break the game, nor do I think people who strive for it are "baddies" who cant play without the gear. Cause they clearly play the game to get that gear initially.

If you won 1000 warzones, you obviously don't need the gear to win more warzones. Why not ask for a different looking set of gear to distinguish yourself? Why does it have to be something that makes you hit harder, or take less damage?

I completely understand the desire to show off one's accomplishments in a "real" way, but like I said, I simply do not agree that having a very real advantage over your opponents promotes the spirit of competition that PvP tries to foster.

I agree with most of this, however I DO think it will be the straw that broke the camels back for half the pvp community that hasn't left yet, i think they will leave a month after 1.2.

Edited by Dego_Locc

I don't want crappy reskinned armor and mounts for winning in pvp, I want a big fish.

I want to wield a fish in my weapon slot that I can put mods in. A big glowing fish. I mean really big too, like 4x the size of character models.

Then people would be forced to bask in my glory.

Have it require a really high ranked wz rating. "OH **** IT'S THE FISH GUY"

Edited by ShadowOfVey

I don't want crappy reskinned armor and mounts for winning in pvp, I want a big fish.

I want to wield a fish in my weapon slot that I can put mods in. A big glowing fish. I mean really big too, like 4x the size of character models.

Then people would be forced to bask in my glory.

Have it require a really high ranked wz rating. "OH **** IT'S THE FISH GUY"

I shall wield my fluffy white rabbit and it will shame your fish back to the watery depths it came from!

I'd like a banner, like a samurai warrior or something... Either that or Auras, if people really want to show off. Cus if you're so goood at pvp none of that stuff should be detrimental to you, because you probably get focused enough anyway. (like me)

Edited by Crazylor

IMO we should all get a PvP set when we hit 50. The best set possible. Then from WZs we should earn titles, mounts, differently colored crystals, armors and weapons with different models, same stats but other models/colors.

That would keep me playing even if I dont see a shiny stat increase. Heck, I'd pvp just for the sake of pvp. I used to play alot of games online that were only about pvp, only reward was to win over the opponent. Be it a fantasy game, ww2 game or a sci-fi game, 3D shooter, rts or rpg, only reason to pvp is to win and kill the opponent and have a fun time doing it.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Best solution is to add high tier valor/rated WZ ranking vanity pets.

No gear imbalances, and everyone knows your WZ team is 2200 because you have a baby nerf following you around.

Everyone wins.

Edited by Sylriana

As others have said that if they can't stand battlegrounds to be equal and fair then by all means they can leave for all I care. There will prob be added soemthign extra later for the top teams but hopefully estetics or a speeder aso.

tldr 51 pages... just a reply to the first post.. lol

When you play chess... what is your reward?

I thought the idea of pvp was just about competing against someone? You are here to play the game, and in ranked, your reward is knowing you are the best team or "ranked team"... be happy

If your skill is so great, why should "gear" matter to you, you will get exclusive colours still i think no>?

I know we all like to think that the game is dying because of the reason that we personally dislike the game, but I'm sorry, it isn't dying because of how PvP gear will be handled in 1.2

People were quitting before the 1.2 changes were announced, they continue to quit after, that tells me they are quitting because of HOW THE GAME IS RIGHT NOW, not because the OP has his panties in a bunch over how rated gear will be obtained IN A MONTH.

The game has more problems at this very moment than how rated gear will be handled *then*, unfortunately for BW they are incapable of making real fixes in their game, so they continue to break as many or more things with each patch as they fix.

To those "pvp" guilds who quit over these changes, I say good riddance. They only want to pwn people with lesser gear.

Oh, I have not seen this said before, thanks.

People saying they enjoy progression on their character in an MMO can not be truthfull.

If people have a 2 or 4% stat advantage it will ruin PvP.

All players should start at 50 and all classes should have the same abilities so it's about skill.

If you won 1000 warzones, you obviously don't need the gear to win more warzones. Why not ask for a different looking set of gear to distinguish yourself? Why does it have to be something that makes you hit harder, or take less damage?

I completely understand the desire to show off one's accomplishments in a "real" way, but like I said, I simply do not agree that having a very real advantage over your opponents promotes the spirit of competition that PvP tries to foster.

Would you be able too deal with a 2% or 4% advantage or would that ruin PvP for you?

As others have said that if they can't stand battlegrounds to be equal and fair then by all means they can leave for all I care. There will prob be added soemthign extra later for the top teams but hopefully estetics or a speeder aso.

You can not handle someone having stats a little better than yours? How do you deal with different classes? Really? You need to take out progression and give people colors? Do you not understand that this is an MMO and not streetfighter.

People have different stats and different abilities. Deal with it.

Should the gear ruin competition? Of course not. Is it possible to have tiers of gear and not make gear a major factor? Of course.

Have you people played in the 10-49 bracket. You have people with totally different ability levels andd bunches of level 17's win ALL THE TIME.

Edited by richardya

You can not handle someone having stats a little better than yours? How do you deal with different classes? Really? You need to take out progression and give people colors? Do you not understand that this is an MMO and not streetfighter.

People have different stats and different abilities. Deal with it.

Should the gear ruin competition? Of course not. Is it possible to have tiers of gear and not make gear a major factor? Of course.

Have you people played in the 10-49 bracket. You have people with totally different ability levels andd bunches of level 17's win ALL THE TIME.

well this is awsome

PvP gear should have no stats on it whatsoever. It should have awesome looks, with the more awesome ones coming from high ratings, etc. Then, when you join warzones everybody's stats are normalized based on their class, similar to the 10-49 bracket.

Bam, even playing field in pvp, but good pvpers still get cool looks for prestige, and you can't take pvp gear with escalating stats into pve content. All problems solved. Too bad such common sense solutions always evade the decision makers.

Just wanted to inform bioware that tons of the members of several pvp guilds on my server are quitting after the news that rated warzones will be the new valor grind, except any requirements at all. One large pvp guild also disbanded yesterday.

Now I wonder, who's idea was it that "rated" pvp, would not mean squat? All they are doing now is seperating normal warzones from rated warzones, even if they will basically be exactly the same, just that rated will give better free gear.

I will cancel sub and prolly play my month out like 80% of my pvp guild already have, but pvp just gets boring when there is nothing worth "working" for by playing organized.

High warzone rating = no rewards worth mentioning, A LOT more effort.

Low warzone rating = the same rewards as high rating, a lot LESS effort.

Endgame pvp gear worth working for = None.

Chance of getting bored from lack of worthwile "goals" pvp wise: High.

You failed with Ilum, and now you fail with this. Both had good potential.

Clickers and backpeddalers that run around playing rambo in pvp with no tactics in their head should NOT be awarded 100% as much as those who put more effort in it and play organized.

Just like hardmodes gives better rewards than story mode in pve.

when you say people are quitting does that mean everyone is supposed to panic and try and fix what you think is broken

PvP gear should have no stats on it whatsoever. It should have awesome looks, with the more awesome ones coming from high ratings, etc. Then, when you join warzones everybody's stats are normalized based on their class, similar to the 10-49 bracket.

Bam, even playing field in pvp, but good pvpers still get cool looks for prestige, and you can't take pvp gear with escalating stats into pve content. All problems solved. Too bad such common sense solutions always evade the decision makers.

Why do you think they start you off at level 1 and not level 50? I am no expert but i think this is a progression game. I think it's fun improving your character. I think, in PvP, they need to limit the progression to not ruin the competition for others. Removing all progression will ensure that people pay for about one month. Progression games get monthly subscribers.

I really enjoyed gearing up a character. When I finished battlemaster I did not enjoy rolling over other people with better gear. I started another character to progress because there was no more progression. You people saying progression is all about rolling over others are just wrong. You are imagining what you think other people enjoy. How about asking them instead?

Edited by richardya

I'll be waiting for D3 to come out, at least then if I PVP my gear will mean something, and the effort behind it will also.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4574895/Diablo_III_PvP_Update-3_9_2012#blog

"As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete."

haha, have fun with that

I started another character to progress because there was no more progression.

Regardless of what the scale/difficulty of progression is, there will always be an end to the progression. Does it really matter if the cap is 1 month instead of 2 months? From the start it hasn't exactly been a hardcore progression game. Sounds to me like you already found the solution that BW is pushing with their legacy system.