Most durable melee DPS?

jjschm

I'm looking for the class that will give me the best combo of melee DPS and survivability. That seems to narrow my choice down to:

Juggernaut

Marauder

Assassin

Operative

Powertech

All speccdd for DPS, which gives me the best damage/durability combo?

It wasn't a huge deal at the time, but kinda speaks to marauder durability:

A guildmate (Sorc DPS) and I were pugging BT HM to get our dailies done (we were about half Rakata, half Columi gear) when the Tank (Juggernaut in lvl 50 oranges) went down on the bonus droid boss.

I instantly pulled agro, backed up in the corner and popped "Saber Ward", followed by "Cloak of Pain". After about 5 seconds I used "Obfuscate" and "Undying Rage" followed by my Rakata med pack. Finally, I popped "Predation" when Obfuscate was about to expire. The Operative healer didn't even have to focus any attention on me and was able to get the Juggernaut back up to finish the fight. When he was back up, I dumped agro and that was that.

Marauders can definitely tank, albeit for a short period of time.

With all our defensive cool downs, we can really take a beating, and with our high end PVE gear we typically top out at around 18 - 19K of HP. Mix and match PVE/PVP gear, and you can top 20K hp. It's not too shabby considering our primary DPS role.

Edited by Selinoz

So the cooldowns surpass the armor of PT and Jugg. Thanks.

Yes, the cooldowns are better. When a tank class specs for dps, they are not in the tank stance which is what gives them all the armor and defense. Without using it, they barely have more armor then medium. A lot of people do not seem to understand this.

I'm looking for the class that will give me the best combo of melee DPS and survivability. That seems to narrow my choice down to:

Juggernaut

Marauder

Assassin

Operative

Powertech

All speccdd for DPS, which gives me the best damage/durability combo?

Narrowed down to these choices? These are the only melee choices =/

DPS specced Assassin is like the squishiest class in the game...

But a tank specced assassin does as much damage and is extremely hearty.

I assume the OP is taking pvp because all melee have enough survivability for pve, so it's not an issue. For that, pyro pt and the tanky assassin have more survivability that a marauder because it's not cd dependent.

Marauder/Sentinel can pop CDs and be invincible for a short while, but Guardian/Juggernauts can switch into Soresu and ghetto tank should the main tank die suddenly, or you come across a fight that requires 2 tanks.

anni's are squishy even with cooldowns. There are so much misinformation in this game.

Yeah, like yours.

Marauders have the best melee survivability, hands down.

Tank Hybrid Assassins are also pretty good although that's more of a PvP spec.

Scoundrels are a melee class that can be invincible against ranged attacks (cover). So they are the best melee class against swarms of cowardly and stupid droids. Also they can do most of their attacks while moving. So as long as you stay behind the guy they can't hit you. :cool: Edited by Drewhat

I just know that I spend a LOT of time healing Jugg, Marauder, and Assassin melee DPS'ers in raids. Considerably more so than ranged DPS and often more than tanks. We don't have Operatives or PT DPS in our raids, so I'm not sure how they compare.

A lot of it is usually avoidable damage that they fail to avoid.

At first, I thought that Marauders were ultra squishy, but then we had an Assassin start raiding with us and it was the same story. I thought that they must be really under geared so I inspected them and their gear was actually quite good.

There is certainly a considerable benefit to being a ranged DPS atm. You avoid a TON of damage that melee DPSers have to survive.

So based on my experience, I'd say the most durable melee DPS is having none at all ;) But I'd guess that Jugg/PT DPS is likely the most durable, though likely not the higher DPS.

I just know that I spend a LOT of time healing Jugg, Marauder, and Assassin melee DPS'ers in raids. Considerably more so than ranged DPS and often more than tanks. We don't have Operatives or PT DPS in our raids, so I'm not sure how they compare.

A lot of it is usually avoidable damage that they fail to avoid.

At first, I thought that Marauders were ultra squishy, but then we had an Assassin start raiding with us and it was the same story. I thought that they must be really under geared so I inspected them and their gear was actually quite good.

There is certainly a considerable benefit to being a ranged DPS atm. You avoid a TON of damage that melee DPSers have to survive.

So based on my experience, I'd say the most durable melee DPS is having none at all ;) But I'd guess that Jugg/PT DPS is likely the most durable, though likely not the higher DPS.

Melee dps is fine in this game. There is one boss they have to run out of AoE for. You said it yourself, its a L2P issues. Standing in swipes is bad no matter who you are.