Convince me that sentinels are a worthwhile PvP class, please.

Enexemander

As it is, I'm just not seeing it.

I've got my sentinel to level 34, and PvP is just painful.

I realize that sentinels have the squishy dps dynamic. My main character is a lvl 50 battlemaster assassin that's primarily dps specced (madness).

So what do sentinels have that makes them worthwhile? The dps is good but good dps is available on every class. The survivability is pretty terrible. Force stasis stuns ME as well as my enemy. Awe is super high level and not super useful (breaks on ANY damage). Contrast that with assassins that get 2 instant cast stuns and 1 instant cast immobilize (all at 30 yard range) and an equivalent slow (at 10 yard range).

I just don't see what Sentinels bring to the party. Help me out here because I'm thinking about just shelving this character now.

Find a battlemaster sent/mara and duel him with your madness spec.

I 1v1 marauders in Huttball all the time and do pretty well. I have the ability, as an assassin, to keep them off me while I do damage with my mostly 10+ range abilities.

1v1 is missing the point.

What utility can I count on as a sentinel? Do I have the ability to effectively contribute to a team or am I just going to run around hoping for a 1v1 all Warzone long and hope no one else has the sense to switch to me and nuke me down?

I 1v1 marauders in Huttball all the time and do pretty well. I have the ability, as an assassin, to keep them off me while I do damage with my mostly 10+ range abilities.

I have a 50 BM shadow tank, that ive played as dps in pvp and Operations, I also have a 39 Sent combat Spec. You need to put more effort into the Sent for it to shine.

I play my Sent as a bloodthirsty Imp Killer but Im always on the move and avoid fighting in the middle packs. I find it very rewarding and a nice change of pace and Am confindent in my ability to solo every class (even tho mmos arent based on 1v1 pvp). Since you play a dps assassin I cant really give you a reason to stick with Sent, both are fun and both have a Diff aprroach needed. assassin has so much utility where as Sent has... yeah almost none. My guess is you just need to try a diff approach or try a diff class not based on dps.

Long story short" Sent has most utility In How they Dps and Can stay in Combat Longer if you space CDs. Where as Assassin has a ton of utility in controlling Enemy but is a 1 trick pony with dps. I presonaly didnt like shadow dps didnt fit my style.

Sentinel is one of the top 3 ACs in this game for sure.

Low survivability? HA. You're using your cool downs wrong. Talk to a BM/WH Sentinel, he might be able to offer more information on when to use each cool down.

Top tier damage for sure.

Awe being terrible? You're kidding me right? It's absolutely amazing. Nice peel for when your ball carrier is getting destroyed. Maybe not so good in pugs where people hit random things, but a premade that coordinates kills, it's amazing.

Sentinel bring a lot of unique utility that isn't brought anywhere. Everyone basically has a knockback, roots, stun etc but a Sentinel brings run speed increase, damage increase, etc.

Sentinels are in a very, very good spot right now. The only reason people aren't crying about them on the forums is because not a lot of Sentinels are very good.

1v1 is missing the point.

What utility can I count on as a sentinel? Do I have the ability to effectively contribute to a team or am I just going to run around hoping for a 1v1 all Warzone long and hope no one else has the sense to switch to me and nuke me down?

Utility to help team?

Inspiration, transedence, cripplig throw, force stasis.

As a Combat Spec I can lock a target down in spot for 10 seconds (barley moves) Force leap (2-3 second), Crippling Throw (2 Sec), force stasis ( 3 Seconds), master Strike (3 seconds).

I do have alot of fun on mine.

However, in the current state of the game, I can not in good faith recommend this class to someone, instead of telling them to play a Shadow, or a Grav Round guy.

However, all that is about to change with 1.2, so man. No idea.

If you're not capable of reading skill tooltips, ability trees, and the guides stickied on these forums, I'm not going to try to sell you on playing my favorite class.

If you don't like, don't play it.

I have read them, and I still feel the class is woefully inferior.

Why is it your favorite? Have you tried any of the others?

I kick butt in pvp as sent, they're awesome! I cant wait to get to lvl 50, I'm only 26 now. Yes, it is easy for them to die (somewhat) but they're a dps class... they arent ment to take lots of damage just give it out. Its so easy t kill people in like three secs or somethin. idk I like it

I have read them, and I still feel the class is woefully inferior.

Why is it your favorite? Have you tried any of the others?

ive got all 8 advanced classes, Sentinel is my favourite. If the guides are not enough, just try playing it and find out for yourself.

Edited by Ainianu

the dude has a point.....i was just like him, all ready to go back to my Shadow and quit Sent altogeather, till i staggered onto this forum and within like 2-3 days ive been asking questions tweaking my build order learning how to micro my Sent better and before with my "Combat" Sent i was always in the bottom of the team in PvP, now im almost always in the top of my team in kills and dmg. I have been playing the sent for a few weeks now, and have been enjoying the Sent for about 3 days. once you learn to play the Sent(which i havent fully but i am learning) you'll see you can out DPS any other class in teh game

*edit* and i read the guilds and didnt get a lot outa them, but when i had a lot of you all here break it down further thats when i started understanding the class better

Edited by LancerKagato

sentis/maras are either uber-squishy with no dps, or unkillable killing machines. It's one of these classes that are hard to master, but it pays off once you do. Also, damage of senti/mara gets high at higher levels.

So,

either level your senti to 50 and learn how to play it or just roll ANOTHER sorc/bh and spam tracer lightning (or telekinetic round)

sentis/maras are either uber-squishy with no dps, or unkillable killing machines. It's one of these classes that are hard to master, but it pays off once you do. Also, damage of senti/mara gets high at higher levels.

So,

either level your senti to 50 and learn how to play it or just roll ANOTHER sorc/bh and spam tracer lightning (or telekinetic round)

They're squishy regardless :) You die a lot. But it's true... it's a class that can be difficult to master. And easy to play poorly. It's constant movement and LoS and key smashing but not like spamming a button. A LOT goes on. Targeting is my personal main issue that hurts me, unless it's just a few enemies around, because it's so quick, tab sucks, and other ones aren't great either and mouse clicking is usually not viable, can mistarget or waste a few precious seconds cycling.

And at 34 is still low. Most ppl are at 50 who talk about Sent in PvP and it being so awesome. Also that's when all 3 specs will shine best, at 30s Combat and Focus still fall well behind. It seriously can be crazy DPS AND does have group advantages aside from DPS - first, awe and stasis/choke, can really be great CC, yeah it's pitiful amount compared with other classes. Transcendence is nice in huttball and in general, like Civil war getting one spot or another. You'll also get a group buff from centering that gives 15% dmg increase to group for 15 secs around. Legslash or slow on cauterize if specc'd. And WM Zen burn healing group, heh I've seen many Sents get healing medals with it. Interrupts too where Sents can shine, esp Watchman with kick reduction, can really beat down on healers like sorcs if timed right. Oh and Crippling throw reducing targets healing by 20% is nothing to scoff at. And in Combat can be a root too.

The best Sent players I see on my server get get average 250-400k dmg and tons of medals. Depending the WZ and team of course, healers healing you will allow that dmg.

Edited by ErisktheRed

im 33 sent and since the get-go ive been ruling the battlefield.

The situation got better with cauterize where i switched stance from shi-shoo to juyu and even better with overload saber. Topping the dps meters all the time. It even got better survivability wise with force camoflage and i expect to get another boost when i get merciless slash and the new force shield.

if you are not ruling them all u are doing something terribly wrong.

edit:

since i got the force camo and trancedance the sentinel feels alot like a rogue. i have played wzs i never died and even though i escape death and go into a corner and heal myself i come ontop of the dps.

Ive seen maybe one or two sents that actually did comparable damage with me. Most sents are at the low end of the food chain and that tells stories that they cannot fathom the class.

I also play vanguard, juggernaut and madness sorc.

The Madness sorc does the best damage atm. Probably because he can stay on targets long enough while as marauder (or any other melee) cannot.

What place the marauder apart from the other melee is the very strong dots that will tick even at the event the opponent manage to escape. Its a usual phenomenon to die and watch the opponent dribble down to death from my dots.

Edited by bliapis

I play scoundrel, and vanguard but have shelfed my 50 vanguard for my scoundrel.

Leveling a sent atm.

The sentinel and Marauder takes ALOT more effort to get it right then other classes.

The shadow or sin is a few button press classes compared to the sent.

With my scoundrel, there is not one class that is remotely close to be able to beat me from that I open up or even when im out of stealth in a 1vs1...BUT..a very very well played sentinel or marauder. This class have a fighting chance.

This alone tells me this class is very strong.

I picked up my sent and at lvl 12 I went in and gobsmacked a lvl 40 assasain and a lvl 40 merc, just after eachother. Sure I lack 95% of the tools but the damage this class can do, coupled with the survivability and some utility using correct timing, places it probably as the #1 1vs1 class in the game apart from scoundrels and operatives, in my opinion.

The class might not be for you simply, cause it takes effort and dedication and practice, practice, practice to get it right.

Sent and mara is not a few button press face roll classes as we have a few of already in swtor. But learn to master it, and you have a nuclear bomb.

Lets say like this: On the server I play on, ive seen 1 or 2 sents/maras in total that can play this class.

And there are like 15% total class pop of this class, so that sais something.

99% players playing this class dont know it well enough to execute to its utmost abilities.

I think sents and Maras might be this games best classes, but they are also the hardest to master.

BM sent here.

I always always always have the highest damage with most kills, around 100k healing, and fewest to no deaths. In every game I play thats how it goes. We are by far the most durable dps class out there and easily kept alive if your team knows your worth it. I have been reported for hacking many times because they normally are used to players like i'm assuming OP. Shadows are good don't get me wrong but way more squishy once your vanish with immunity is on CD.

Find a battlemaster sent/mara and duel him with your madness spec.

^ this.. Not in a warzone but a straight up duel with equivalent or even less gear the sentinel should win 9/10. I don't think you played wow because "awe" is an aoe blind essentially, and that in itself is amazing. Situational; two stealthers open on you pop awe, you need to disarm a bomb plant in voidstar awe, you need to cc for your healer geting zerged awe, you see a group running toward a node your team is capping awe, your almost to the end zone with the hutball when you see a fresh batch of rezzers jump in front force leap -awe. The application of awe is limitless in pvp you just have to know when to use it. For instance I'm dueling your sin and you pop that big defensive you have in the beginning of the fight I'll use awe to take off 6seconds of your defensive or even better it causes you to burn your trinket prompting a full duration force stasis. You mentioned force stasis not be necessarily good I beg to differ it can be used in several ways depending upon what the fight calls for. Either way the goal if your watchman spec is to load up a full row of dots, pop zen, force stasis.. This literally melts face and if you have specc'd to give yourself a 6sec cd on kick this force stasis combo after a well timed interrupt and initial pressure will either Finnish the job or leave enough for dispatch(ranged execute of death, basically hammer of wrath.). Against another dps class (melee specifically) you want use the initial combo leap->overload saber->cauterize (apply cauterize first if it's a ranged class that can kite you instead of overload saber)->that hit that builds a single focus point (lol of all the abilities I forget the name for)->merciless slash (because it's awesome and you can afford to focus dump-> zen-> force stasis-> this is where either the can be killed from a dispatch OR you can pop rebuke (since they will attack at this point w/out interruption-> merc slash-> dispatch. The class melts people if played correctly. Now onto survivability we have saber ward which makes you a tank defense is pure mitigation this provides 50% defense, rebuke which reduces inc damage by 20% and helps melt your opponent by providing an additional dot, all dot Frits heal you and your party by 2% -> zen provides guaranteed dot crits, you have guarded by the force which you use when you are low on health sacrificing half you health To make you invulnerable for 6seconds (when Dieing this plus zen and a medpacks your back to at least half health). Awe is a survivability cd if need be, force camo can give you 100% damage mitigation (very useful), and an ability reducing targets accuracy by 90%. Tbh the biggest complaints othe classes have abou sent/Maruaders is our survivability and consistent damage. Also did I mention we are one of the only classes with a 25% heal debuff. The only part about playing a sentinel is the 20+ keybinds you will need to be as efficient as possible (I love this aspect of the class, unlimited tools in the toolbox so to speak.) honestly why would you not want to play this class it's Really good. The only people who say the class is bad at cap are the ones who still think tracer spam is uninterruptible, and sorc are OP LOL.

Edited by Vincedaddy

War Hero Sentinel here... (Sethlorn, Vrook Lamar Server)

[use all 3 Specs]

Sentinels don't get their best abilities until 50, as others have said here. You need your top tier abilities in your talent trees and all your defensive cooldowns.

Sentinels are also very hard to master (I've played Gunslinger/Commando/Guardian/Operative/Mercenery), but also reap some of the highest awards. Are they the BEST class? I don't think so. I'd say Top 3 of the ACs, or maybe Top 4. But ONLY in the best of hands.

Sentinel, no matter what tree, requires you to set-up moves to do your best DPS while knowing when to pop which of your defensive CDs (Rebuke, Saber Ward), and when to use your **** moves (Guarded, Force Camo). You also have to build Centering, know when to balance building it and/or using Valorous, and which ability (Zen, Tran, Insp) to use. You have very limited CD compared to other classes (Awe and Stasis), so you have to juggle those as well.

Will I end the match with 400k damage and 100k healing (if Watchman)? If I'm good, even against another good team, yes. But it's all a juggling act and knowing when to do what, much more than other classes. ESPECIALLY without a healer, where you're constantly an inch from death but hoping to put out your great DPS.

tl;dr:

-Sentinels can survive while dishing out Top 3 DPS

-Coordinate all your defensive abilities well

-Centering Buffs ARE useful (Extra-DPS/Group Heals/Movement Bonus/Defense Bonus/Group Damage+Healing Bonus)

-Don't be stupid, because Sentinel is an unforgiving class.

Edited by Nyjin

You are playing it wrong. I never leave PVP with less than 150k damage dealt and a ton of kills and medals.

Choose your prey.

Favorites would be : Snipers, Operatives (get near them and their yours)

and Assasins, catch them 1on1 and watch them burn while they hide.