New updated sub numbers (Official)

Improv-

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, but this whole thing started when people who made that statement were told they weren't right because they were just going by the slide show and ignoring what he actually said.

I just posted to show that what he said and what the slide showed were really the same thing.

And there's so many people saying so many different things in this thread, I have no idea who I was originally correcting anymore.

I was that guy bring up the power point. I may have miss understood peoples post. I thought some thought that the 1.7 figure was from the Feb 1st conference call and not a current figure. I have full understanding of what EA means by "Active Subs" That means every sub they can get (I'm sure that could even include the new free 7 day trials) Does not invalidate that the game had over 1.7 million people that could log on into the game at that very moment and play. A vast majority being paying subs not free 30 people.

"As a blanket statement, yes, I'll agree that they are saying there are around 1.7 million subscriptions. With the caveat that it includes new box sales in their 30 day trial, anyone that has unsubscribed but still has time left in their subscription, and "possibly" the Australia/Asia servers rolled in. If say 300k are brand new then they lost 300k of the previous subscriptions and are holding on. It doesn't go into that detail."

EXCEPT, they quite specifically said that the 1.7M subscriptions are explicitly not subject to those caveats. They said that the vast majority of them fit their definition of "recurring," which means they are past their free trial and now paying on the periodic payment subscription treadmill.

I was that guy bring up the power point. I may have miss understood peoples post. I thought some thought that the 1.7 figure was from the Feb 1st conference call and not a current figure. I have full understanding of what EA means by "Active Subs" That means every sub they can get (I'm sure that could even include the new free 7 day trials) Does not invalidate that the game had over 1.7 million people that could log on into the game at that very moment and play. A vast majority being paying subs not free 30 people.

Just looked back, and yea, you're the one I agree with. Tservo and Bennfynyn are the ones who insist you're wrong and they don't have 1.7M active subs per what they think the CEO said.

I log in these days and see 1 or 2 guildies online. I log into WoW and they're raiding. Same guild members playing both games but they all went back to wow minus a couple of holdouts. I'd continue playing if a friend or two came back but I'm tired of solo play. Anecdotal on my part but sure feels like it's dwindling. I was a huge advocate of this game at launch but some fundamental things didn't seem to get addresses at all or fast enough. Time will certainly tell.

Yes this game doesn't go down because:

1) Casuals keep playing because they like the easy mode

2) People just want to play with glowsticks and that's all they care about in an MMO

The people who actually came to play a good MMO, have all left or are about to.

and why are u still here posting?

Bai son

I log in these days and see 1 or 2 guildies online. I log into WoW and they're raiding. Same guild members playing both games but they all went back to wow minus a couple of holdouts. I'd continue playing if a friend or two came back but I'm tired of solo play. Anecdotal on my part but sure feels like it's dwindling. I was a huge advocate of this game at launch but some fundamental things didn't seem to get addresses at all or fast enough. Time will certainly tell.

Mostly my same story .. but you just need to run swtor and open two times in a row the bag to notice there is some fundamental problem with the basics of their NET platform... battlenet wasn't made in a day and this game will require more than patches to be on par with that other mmo.

This game is definitely losing subs, and the major problem now is that if they dont address server merges soon, they will only lose more people.

I know my server at release had way more people than it has now. Fleet went from 180 people nightly to just over 100 now.

Many many complaints across several message boards about dead servers. so fanboys, if you think this game is not losing subs you have blinders on. Not only that, this game does not have good word of mouth lately.

1.7 million in January vs 1.7 million in february, yeah, the game is losing subs because people on your server decided to go to another server, change faction or not stay in the fleet all the time like you. Wow, your view is narrow.

Edited by Averran
rude

Fleet population has dwindled steadliy in the afternoons and my guild has shrunk considerably.

Maybe it's time for a new server.

Maybe its time for you to expand your horiozon outside the fleet? The fleet dont tell you the population of a server :o

Just got an email from you know who about their scroll of resurrection. They're now giving away every expansion including cata free to people that come back and you can create a level 1 character and immediately boost it to level 80 as well as a free faction and server change. If $10 off swtor for 1 day only at amazon = swtor is dead, what does the new scroll from you know who mean?

Just got an email from you know who about their scroll of resurrection. They're now giving away every expansion including cata free to people that come back and you can create a level 1 character and immediately boost it to level 80 as well as a free faction and server change. If $10 off swtor for 1 day only at amazon = swtor is dead, what does the new scroll from you know who mean?

It means SWTOR is a success and it also means that the ones you mentioned are bleeding subs like an artery cut in half, so they had to lay off 600 employes in the process and then issue a statement how all is good and going as planned. :rolleyes:

Edited by Vlacke

It means SWTOR is a success and it also means that the ones you mentioned are bleeding subs like an artery cut in half, so they had to lay off 600 employes in the process and then issue a statement how all is good and going as planned.
Or maybe they're just suffering from some poor design philosophy; I left that other game over five years ago, when they started going down the same road that BW later decided to take TOR.

Fleet population has dwindled steadliy in the afternoons and my guild has shrunk considerably.

Maybe it's time for a new server.

Harbinger (PvE) and Fatman (PvP) are the two top US servers; can't help you find a EU server. Edited by Ansultares

When I saw that the other day I could not believe it. It made me almost want to sub again just to troll there messageboards with fake outrage about giving away level 80's. Taste of their own medicine.

Man what must it be like on there boards right now.

While these numbers look good, you should consider the context.

A lot of people I know, and a lot of people on these forums, have a 3 or 6 months subscription in place that can't be cancelled yet.

While the retention rates of 1.7mill active subs are very good relative to the industry (in the first few months after launch, WoW only retained 70% to TORs 85%), it won't be as accurate as it can be. After the game has been out for 6 months, you will be able to have a better view of attrition.

Problem is WoW proves you are wrong. WoW became more casual friendly and exploded to 11 million subs. Getting gear there was easier than it is currently in SWTOR; in WoW you didn't even have to go through the trouble of putting a group together.

So you call a loss of subscriber's "expanding"? Well I have news for you this game is way too casual friendly to have people play for the long run.

This game attracts solo players with its "story". Once they try out the different stories and maybe play a few "operations" whats left with them?

Don't try to tell me this games operations and pvp have any holding power. Getting geared in record time isn't going to keep subscribers. This game is too damn easy and there is no carrot on the stick incentive to keep playing since you can get geared so fast.

Also with rated warzones coming out there will be no gear upgrade for doing well in rated warzones? Really? How is that going to incentivize people to keep pvping over other well known pvp mmos. The game's engine isn't even built for smooth, fluid pvp action.

I like the game for it's pve content but it is way too easy and 1.2 won't change the fact that this game has no holding power.

Expect subscriptions to go down. They may fluctuate up and down but it won't grow at an enourmous pace.

While these numbers look good, you should consider the context.

A lot of people I know, and a lot of people on these forums, have a 3 or 6 months subscription in place that can't be cancelled yet.

While the retention rates of 1.7mill active subs are very good relative to the industry (in the first few months after launch, WoW only retained 70% to TORs 85%), it won't be as accurate as it can be. After the game has been out for 6 months, you will be able to have a better view of attrition.

it could be but I suspect the number of people that opt-in for the 6 month subs is a small fraction of the 1.7 million and a even small portion of those 6 month subs are not being actively played on. Pure guessing on my part.

Problem is WoW proves you are wrong. WoW became more casual friendly and exploded to 11 million subs. Getting gear there was easier than it is currently in SWTOR; in WoW you didn't even have to go through the trouble of putting a group together.

The difference between TOR and WoW, or any other hyped MMO vs. WoW, is that they aren't WoW.

Rift, TOR, WAR (to an extent)...all these big name MMOs came out and tried to innovate WoW and make it their own. That's why these games fail. You can't try to do WoW unless you're Blizzard. It's theirs. All these games, including TOR, are trying to recreate that game in their own creative license. For this reason, they will always be compared to WoW because they're like WoW.

Games that take a decidedly different direction will have more success in being evaluated seperate from the WoW mold. All other games that try to imitate will fail. You can't be a cover band that's better than the original artist.

I got a three month pass because i was expecting TOR to be amazing and i quit two weeks after max level. Played for a total of one month. The game is mind numbingly boring because the content is too easy. PVP was awful and the inability to find FP groups since the LFG system sucked/was non existent.

Soooo sad that TOR was just another crappy WoW clone. I was really planning to devote most of my free time playing TOR if it was interesting.

Edited by AluminumMonster

The difference between TOR and WoW, or any other hyped MMO vs. WoW, is that they aren't WoW.

Rift, TOR, WAR (to an extent)...all these big name MMOs came out and tried to innovate WoW and make it their own. That's why these games fail. You can't try to do WoW unless you're Blizzard. It's theirs. All these games, including TOR, are trying to recreate that game in their own creative license. For this reason, they will always be compared to WoW because they're like WoW.

Games that take a decidedly different direction will have more success in being evaluated seperate from the WoW mold. All other games that try to imitate will fail. You can't be a cover band that's better than the original artist.

While generally I would agree with you, I don't think that this is the case for TOR for 3 reason:

1.) TOR is a sci-fi game. Every other WoW clone (WAR, Rift, Aion, Conan) has been set in a high-fantasy world with dragons, elves, fairies, etc. There are a lot of people out there that prefer the space genre and the fantasy setting is simply tired and overdone.

2.) TOR has the backing of perhaps the most popular movie IP ever created, Star wars, and along with it, a slew of raging fanboys.

3.) Bioware and story. I can't think of many companies that do RPG story-telling as well as Bioware and their reputation precedes them. People love their games and they flock to them.

This isn't just some generic named MMO thrown out as an experiment to see how many subs it can steal from WoW (*cough* Rift *cough.) This is a game that EA and Bioware firmly believe can become something special, and they will nurture it to make it so. Expect some actual competition with WoW and GW2 from TOR. It's not just going to keel over.

Except Blizzard is itself a "cover band". Contrary to popular belief, WoW was far from the first MMO and the vast majority of their "ideas" came from previous MMOs (and still to this day they will steal ideas and add them) The entire Warcraft franchise is a direct and blatant rip-off of Warhammer. The original Warcraft RTS game was intended to be a Warhammer RTS, Blizzard working with Games Workshop, who backed out of the deal and Blizzard just changed a few things around, wrote a little backstory and called it their own.(I'm sure Games Workshop is kicking themselves to this day over that decision)

What Blizzard accomplished with WoW was the streamlining of the "themepark" model and making it casual friendly, thus growing the market by a large amount. Undeniably impressive feats, but an "original band" they are not.

Edited by Malefactor

Soooo sad that TOR was just another crappy WoW clone. I was really planning to devote most of my free time playing TOR if it was interesting.

That's fine.

But, then why are you posting negative comments all over the theads in the forum? What is your point in doing so??

From some of my friends who still play WoW for 7+ years, a slap in the face for being loyal through the tough times. The fact that they're giving away the shop shows that they're expecting another massive drop in subs. If I were still playing WoW, i'd be upset that they're offering all that jazz to someone who has quit the game. They're pretty much rewarding people for quitting with that package.

Except Blizzard is itself a "cover band". Contrary to popular belief, WoW was far from the first MMO and the vast majority of their "ideas" came from previous MMOs (and still to this day they will steal ideas and add them) The entire Warcraft franchise is a direct and blatant rip-off of Warhammer. The original Warcraft RTS game was intended to be a Warhammer RTS, Blizzard working with Games Workshop, who backed out of the deal and Blizzard just changed a few things around, wrote a little backstory and called it their own.(I'm sure Games Workshop is kicking themselves to this day over that decision)

What Blizzard accomplished with WoW was the streamlining of the "themepark" model and making it casual friendly, thus growing the market by a large amount. Undeniably impressive feats, but an "original band" they are not.

This guy gets it.

Alot of people are trying to make it seem like Blizzard are innovators and Blizzard even admitted themselves that they never innovate. They try to take what works from other games and add it into theirs and refine it a little. Since the MMO genre isn't offering a whole lot of "innovation", they're giving the people one of the most played games which is Pokemon.

Problem this genre faces right now is that it's no secret that everyone has played WoW. The moment you "leave" WoW to another game and start making comparisons, you're gonna end up back in WoW bringing your problems with WoW to another game. Come to think of it, that's kinda sad that Blizzard has this genre in the bag. That's what we deserve for allowing a monopoly.

Like the NBA slam dunk competiton. Amazing in the late 80's and with Vince Carter. Now it's just an abomination. The MMO needs Vince Carter and his creative dunks.

Edited by Optimism

I agree.

WoW does however have a cult following, with cult devotion and cult extremism to go with it. ;)

Also, I love your sig..... sooooo much absolute truth to it. :)