Crafting - I trusted Bioware

Farho

I started 2 months ago, and as a "consumable maker" for 6 years in the game that shall not be named, I wanted to pick my crafting skill something I supposed to be more fun.

So, initially I thought Armstech/Artifice are crafting skills that apply to a single (rarely double) slot for each player and that's not a good thing. But I thought, hey, crafting in MMOs are around for 10+ years now and Bioware of course studied their lesson by now. They probably equalized the effectiveness of every crafting skill.

So I went with Armstech. Throughout the levelling, the only thing I crafted ever was Barrel mods, and rarely I crafted 1 for myself or for a companion. But then again I said to myself, hey it's the end game that counts.

Lemme tell you from the beginning, Armstech has zero schematics for end game. No guns, not even barrel mods, nothing. I wouldn't even be OK with just a single gun schematic, but instead I've got nothing to use, nothing to sell, and what's ridiculous is you need to make HM FPs in order to craft level 48 orange weapons, but you get level 50 ones drop from bosses there by the time you collect that material.

Then I heard Armormech and Synthweaving were suffering as well. Artifice only got to sell crystals, at least until 1.1.5.

Now they tell us they will add high-end schematics for every crafting skill (by crit orange gear). Now that I don't trust their judgement about fairness, I can sense they will still make Armstech/Artifice the worse crafting skills by giving them schematics for weapon slots only while Armormech and Synthweaving gets end game schematics for 7 slots per character. They will see the sunshine until some point while we're left in the shadows.

Balancing crafting skills is no big deal actually. First off you can let every crafter do 1 BoP item unique for themselves. (e.g. bracer for Armormech, implant for Biochem etc.) This item will be stronger or have a unique ability that the end game gear doesn't have.

Secondly you can let the crafters make other consumables, applied enhancements, thing's that we can actually sell daily off the galactic trade. For example:

Supercharge battery: use this item to increase your energy regen by 1 per 3 seconds for 1 hour, usable by Smugglers/Agents only.

Or an artifice schematic:

Focusing gem: use this item to add a small HoT to your direct heals, for 1 hour.

The list can go on. So that we can hope to actually craft something with the hope of using or selling.

Doubt such things will happen but here's hoping.

I feel for you I took the armstech pprof too and now find its completley useless for endgame stuff !! and when doing OPs all that flippin drops is synthweaving, armour or bio schemes where the hell are the end game lvl 50 rare schemes for armstech ??

But I thought, hey, crafting in MMOs are around for 10+ years now and Bioware of course studied their lesson by now. They probably equalized the effectiveness of every crafting skill.

Bwahahahaaaaa....

I've been an armormech since day one and I'm looking forward to some new gear being added come 1.2. While I currently don't craft much of anything aside from an occasional belt or bracer for alts, I do think 1.2 will breath some life into the crafting situation and economy overall.

You don't know what 1.2 will bring. I don't care how much you don't trust BioWare, at least save your doomsaying until after all the facts are in.

I'm suggesting things, read before you comment please.

How are armormech and synthweaving suffering exactly? They are, along with artifice, the only professions that give an increase in stats to you character (through augmented belt, bracer, relic).

Armormech and synthweaving, are by far the top professions atm (from a min-max pov). Thanks to BW, who for some unknown and strange reason doesn't allow us to have more than 1 crafting profession i had to pick up artifice, get my exceptional relic and then drop it for synthweaving (and i'm now trying to get the crits but the game doesn't like me :( )

After the nerf biochem is kinda a "convenience" profession to save you some cash considering the exotech stims are actually better lol.

You trusted a developer that said crafting would be like it is in WoW, "with a twist."

Seriously?

Yeah idiot me. Yet I've never seen a crafting skill this useless in WoW since release. People were whining upto WotLK but those were minor balance issues, not one being total junk.

I am an Armstech and an Armormech. I started those professions to make desirable weapons and armor.

Despite many suggestions I have seen on theses forums for consumable items for all professions as a "fix" to these professions I must wholeheartedly disagree. Consumables fix nothing. I did not become an Armstech to make some lame consumable.

Honestly, from comments made by Bioware at the guild summit, it looks like they are designing crafting crew skills to be money sinks rather than money generators. This is the way they worked in WoW as well and is how things will eventually evolve, given that people will do the math and won't pay more than cost for any item since they can simply get the mats from the GTN themselves and then 'tip' some nominal fee.

What's more important to crew skill choice is the issue of *personal* benefit. This is where the deficiencies of the current crafting system really show up. Armstech is crap not becuase you can't sell it's products, but because there are no end game schematics for you to use. Like at all. Synthweaving and Armormech are better because you can make urself mastercrafted Rakata gear. But then Bioware failed by having the gear not require the crafting profession to use, so once you make the items, the profession itself is unnecessary.

The other problem is that gear is really easy to get. You can get people together and run HM FPs or a couple of normal operations for all the columi gear (which is better than the schematics that drop from NM Operations) in a few days, so there's really no market at all for crafted gear.

The reason why everyone is biochem isn't because biochem has consumables. It's because their rakata adrenals and stims need them to stay biochem. Otherwise, they'd just make (oh, I dunno) 100 stims of their choice and switch to a gathering profession. With only using 2 stims a night, and 3 raid nights a week, that's 16 weeks (or 4 months) of stims. You can make 100 stims in 5 days or so. 5 days for all the stims u need for 4 months.

Consumables fix nothing. I did not become an Armstech to make some lame consumable.

ditto.

they made a crafting system where it is very easy for anyone to have a crafting prof (you can elected to only be a gatherer if you want, but the option to craft, and easily, is there).

they really need to just have a 1-item-BiS craftable by each profession.

I'll never understand why people choose the QQ-and-wait approach to crafting in this game. Biochem>all at the moment and it has been since launch. You all had plently of time, like me, to drop synth or whatever after you made your rakata gear, then pick up biochem and lawls all day at your OP crafting skill. Knowing full well that it takes ONE AFTERNOON to level a profession from 0-400 with 5 companions, you lazy entitled shmucks cry about your obviously weaker professions, instead of joining the thousands of players who understand that if anything at all comes out in 1.2 that would make the non-biochem skills worth taking, you are still only ONE AFTERNOON away from being back to 400/400 in whatever profession you want.

In before balaance QQ - Im sick of hearing it, the game is obviously not balanced, and crying about it wont change anything. You either take what they give you or suffer your own self-gimping (which is selfish btw, if you are bringing down your raid group by not using stims)

Just want to say, as long as a craftskill has at least SOME items that are in demand across the spectrum, supply/demand will do the job of balancing the profits from them. If one skill has more stuff that's in demand, more people will take that tradeskill, supply will go up, and the profit margins will go down per item until the skills are percieved as equitable.

Problem, right now, is that many craftskills DON'T have ANY in damand items.

Now, it's true that critically crafting armor does seem to leave armstech out in the cold. (and if you think about it it's actually a negative for the armor making skills as well). However they've already said that armstech, armormech, and synthweaving will be the guys making those fancy augments to stick in those augment slots. So bang. There's your "in demand" item. And presumably in demand for a whole lot more than 1 or 2 slots.

(though I am very curious how they are gonna divide augments among 3 different skills without 1 classes augments being the one everybody wants...)

I'll never understand why....(which is selfish btw, if you are bringing down your raid group by not using stims)

You got that brainwashed into your head by a guild that wants easy farm mode ****, or you are clearly undergeared as a group and shouldn't be there anyway. If that's the only way you can do it, maybe you should play something else.

Oh... 1st time trying to down final boss, go ahead, but after that anything over the MT and Healers is a waste.

You (and people that think or believe that) want **** handed to you on a platter.

"I'm 50, Where's my free ****"

If you have been a "consumable maker" for 6+ years(In the "other" game) and you can't make any money off Armstech, well you are obviously not very good at it.

I have levelled every profession and Armstech has made the most money besides Armortech.

As any serious crafter knows, follow the market. Search the GTN(Auction house) find whats selling or whats NOT available, even more importantly.

I could list what I sell, but that would spoil the fun.

Edited by Aphraell