Interesting quote from James Ohlen

Vecke

"We have a lot of players at level fifty. I can't give exact numbers, but we have more players at level fifty than most MMOs have subscribers."

And...

"I get reports every week on the player population distribution from levels one to fifty and it's a pretty good spread."

while he's admittedly a bit vague, I think it says some interesting things about the overall game population and about the amount of players that still aren't 50.

One phrase:

"Alts."

Good point, and I'm sure that's a big part. Considering I'm still not 50, though, I'm sure it's not only alts.

I just found it nice to see at least a suggestion that there are more slow levelers out there than I thought.

And I thought the quote showed some optimistic signs about the overall population... there are more 50's than subs in most other MMOs and the 50's is only part of an even distribution of levels playing.

Edited by Vecke

Good point, and I'm sure that's a big part. Considering I'm still not 50, though, I'm sure it's not only alts.

I just found it nice to see at least a suggestion that there are more slow levelers out there than I thought.

And I thought the quote showed some optimistic signs about the overall population... there are more 50's than subs in most other MMOs and the 50's is only part of an even distribution of levels playing.

You're assuming the quote is 100% truthful. And before you ask, the incentive to lie on this would be that if you report your population is declining then more people will leave what they perceive to be a game that is failing.

he said players and not characters.

Players is just as vague really. Unless he comes out with ''active subscribers'' you cant read anything into what hes said, other than he wasnts to create a posative impression of the overall game population without providing any hard evidence. Suspicious at best.

I don't really see the connection between that and what I said.

That if you're talking freely you'll use the word which comes to your mind right away, without attaching a deeper meanign to it.

Yet people like you tend to seek a deeper one, even if there is none :>

I don't know how much stock I'd put into it.

I'm not saying the following is the case but he couldn't really say

"Most of the players are 50 and the spread is horrible. If you buy this game now you're going to be playing alone and probably shouldn't bother."

Though I guess it'd be pretty funny

"while he's admittedly a bit vague, I think it says some interesting things about the overall game population and about the amount of players that still aren't 50.

I am extremely impressed with the amount of analytics data they are sharing at the summit. Much more open then any other MMO that I have ever seen.

Sure, they are deliberately vague on some very specific numbers, but to see them present actual time based data on credit sources, credit sinks, wealth distributions in the population, etc. etc is very impressive.

I am extremely impressed with the amount of analytics data they are sharing at the summit. Much more open then any other MMO that I have ever seen.

Sure, they are deliberately vague on some very specific numbers, but to see them present actual time based data on credit sources, credit sinks, wealth distributions in the population, etc. etc is very impressive.

That's called kool-aid, used to hide what is really happening and fluff the other announcements which may or may not come true, sometime possibly in the future.

It is all PR as expected. Hardly anything being announced we didn't already know besides obvious legacy flash. And details of others are vague if not non existent.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't want to be negative, and have hope. But we've drank the kool aid before from this team and know what happened. And time has proven that it's best to wait till the patch notes are written up and released right before the patch to know what is really going to be released.

You're assuming the quote is 100% truthful. And before you ask, the incentive to lie on this would be that if you report your population is declining then more people will leave what they perceive to be a game that is failing.

I have absolutely no doubt that everything he said will have a PR spin to put it in the best possible light.

However, I don't think he'd outright lie on a volunteered comment. This wasn't an answer to a question and it wasn't even an interview about population. This was something he volunteered while discussing 1.2. If he wanted to avoid the topic, he just wouldn't have said anything (as he wasn't asked anything).

I think this is a good indicator, and I don't think it's fair to assume every positive statement volunteered is just a flat out lie.

Edited by Vecke

Players is just as vague really. Unless he comes out with ''active subscribers'' you cant read anything into what hes said, other than he wasnts to create a posative impression of the overall game population without providing any hard evidence. Suspicious at best.

I'm not saying it isn't suspicious or implying that he isn't spinning but just that you have to rule out Alts unless he is outright lying.

Counting non-active subs wouldn't surprise me.

That if you're talking freely you'll use the word which comes to your mind right away, without attaching a deeper meanign to it.

Yet people like you tend to seek a deeper one, even if there is none :>

Using a word like Raid to refer to something that means the same thing is one thing using the word player to refer to characters would be a gross misrepresentation of the truth (ie a lie) and since I prefaced my post by saying "assuming he isn't lying" I stand by my point.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't want to be negative, and have hope. But we've drank the kool aid before from this team and know what happened. And time has proven that it's best to wait till the patch notes are written up and released right before the patch to know what is really going to be released.

I understand your point, but I disagree. I think Bioware has been extremely upfront (IMO) in regards to features in this game, both before and after launch. They've never given me a reason to assume what they say isn't true.

The game I'm playing now is exactly the game they promised it would be, for better or worse.

Just my opinion.

"We have a lot of players at level fifty. I can't give exact numbers, but we have more players at level fifty than most MMOs have subscribers."

And...

"I get reports every week on the player population distribution from levels one to fifty and it's a pretty good spread."

while he's admittedly a bit vague, I think it says some interesting things about the overall game population and about the amount of players that still aren't 50.

Here's what I don't understand about this quote. If it is true that they have more players at 50 than most MMOs have subs, AND it is true that the spread of players from 1 to 50 is 'good', which I take to mean evenly spread out, then does that mean SWTOR has 50 x the number of players of most MMOs?

That's called kool-aid, used to hide what is really happening and fluff the other announcements which may or may not come true, sometime possibly in the future.

It is all PR as expected. Hardly anything being announced we didn't already know besides obvious legacy flash. And details of others are vague if not non existent.

Once I saw, the Legacy stuff and the fact that they fully admit the Illum is broken and terrible I drank the kool-aid.

I have never seen devs that have admitted they screwed stuff up so openly without any spin on it.