Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

Instead of simply a merge, I think the best option would be a hybrid of transfers and merge.

1. Characters get free transfers to any server, during a 1 month window.

--------a. All legacy characters count as one transfer.

--------b. Players are prompted for name change when they select a new server (if the name is already taken). Same with legacy name. That way, players can poke around and find a server that doesn't conflict with their name, if that's a big issue to them.

--------c. The first transfer is free. Additional transfers would be charged.

2. Anyone who did not leave their home server within this 1 month window will be merged with several others. These stragglers should have no reason to complain about the merge/required name change, because they had plenty of time to take their own initiative.

-----------------------

This way, there should also be some natural faction balancing, with Empire players choosing servers with higher Republic population (more to kill) and Reps choosing servers with fewer imperials. (Hopefully...)

It also gives players choice, and sounds better to investors ("free transfers and eventual merge" sounds less like an emergency measure than a hard merge).

Bioware needs to listen to this guy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BW please fix the underpopped severs, the game is not enjoyable anymore :(. As much as I like this game I don't want to spend my precious free time spamming for a group (deep down knowing that I'm not going to find one)

I expected so much from this game, but if it goes on like this I'm quitting as soon as my sub runs out.

BW stop being stubborn and start merging server/enabling character transfers!

I was about to reroll Republic, just because of population-imbalance. I like having the odds against me and be 3 times as likely to encounter outdoors-pvp while playing. Then a good friend talked me out of it since - Population-imbalance will sort itself out. Nobody likes population-imbalance, so players will naturally sort em self out in an agreable balance.

For short - Population-imbalance sort itself out by nature given time. If you are in a hurry, be a bold pioneer and switch that mercenary for a commando (then you get an assault-canon ^^ )

(at the beginning of wow-vanilla it was like 80/20 Alliance/Horde ... Same thing is gonna happen here)

As for the massive amount of players ending subs all over the world, according to the forums. I believe it is much more likely that the current feeling of empty halls at Imperial Fleet is because lots of ppl have an irl-life to attend to as well. So they are currently not active players since they have already powerleveled a few 50' s and are taking a short brake, while Bio releases more end-game material and will most definitely start playing again in a while (probably gonna se a little boost as soon as 1.2).

Last Id like to adress something I also believe has a certain degree of impact on subscribers and thats those few millions people who after have played wow for some as long as beta - Currently are in a state of shock.

Lets face it, "breaking up" with a game you invested as much time and emotion in as wow is a big deal for a great many ppl.

But wow is dying.

And SWTOR is the only mmorpg that has been released since wow said "hello gamers" that actually can rival wow.

And for all of you who just are about to post that EVE, conan the barbarian or Aion online or Everquest or his or her aunt for that matter WAS the best mmorpg and so forth - NO! WoW has Owned the market since release. It doesnt matter that you will die defending that guildwars was the best game ever. IT WASNT. And you know im right, because you played wow too (with a random hit accuracy of 90%+ i bet).

There arent any mmorpgs currently, or on the horizon (as in next couple of years) that can fill the hole that WoW will create as it dies (in shame and disgrace I might add on a personal note) - Except - SWTOR. In a year theres not gonna be fewer players - theres going to be a lot more players. Because the old wow-guilds, will have a reunion in space in a galaxy very far away a couple of thousands years ago.

And dont even get me started on Diablo III - I mean, cmon, who is ever gonna be satisfied with a dumbed down hack n slash-game , after experienced 40-man-raids, and an entire world of players.... Its not like your going back to counterstrike after you played BF3 for a few years ...

Edited by Dirtysolutions

I was about to reroll Republic, just because of population-imbalance. I like having the odds against me and be 3 times as likely to encounter outdoors-pvp while playing. Then a good friend talked me out of it since - Population-imbalance will sort itself out. Nobody likes population-imbalance, so players will naturally sort em self out in an agreable balance.

For short - Population-imbalance sort itself out by nature given time. If you are in a hurry, be a bold pioneer and switch that mercenary for a commando (then you get an assault-canon ^^ )

(at the beginning of wow-vanilla it was like 80/20 Alliance/Horde ... Same thing is gonna happen here)

As for the massive amount of players ending subs all over the world, according to the forums. I believe it is much more likely that the current feeling of empty halls at Imperial Fleet is because lots of ppl have an irl-life to attend to as well. So they are currently not active players since they have already powerleveled a few 50' s and are taking a short brake, while Bio releases more end-game material and will most definitely start playing again in a while (probably gonna se a little boost as soon as 1.2).

Last Id like to adress something I also believe has a certain degree of impact on subscribers and thats those few millions people who after have played wow for some as long as beta - Currently are in a state of shock.

Lets face it, "breaking up" with a game you invested as much time and emotion in as wow is a big deal for a great many ppl.

But wow is dying.

And SWTOR is the only mmorpg that has been released since wow said "hello gamers" that actually can rival wow.

And for all of you who just are about to post that EVE, conan the barbarian or Aion online or Everquest or his or her aunt for that matter WAS the best mmorpg and so forth - NO! WoW has Owned the market since release. It doesnt matter that you will die defending that guildwars was the best game ever. IT WASNT. And you know im right, because you played wow too (with a random hit accuracy of 90%+ i bet).

There arent any mmorpgs currently, or on the horizon (as in next couple of years) that can fill the hole that WoW will create as it dies (in shame and disgrace I might add on a personal note) - Except - SWTOR. In a year theres not gonna be fewer players - theres going to be a lot more players. Because the old wow-guilds, will have a reunion in space in a galaxy very far away a couple of thousands years ago.

And dont even get me started on Diablo III - I mean, cmon, who is ever gonna be satisfied with a dumbed down hack n slash-game , after experienced 40-man-raids, and an entire world of players.... Its not like your going back to counterstrike after you played BF3 for a few years ...

Sorry but the game sucks. Its boring as hell. Gotta be the worst MMO I have ever played. I am not bored with MMOs but took me very little time to work out just how bad this was. And I play Rift as well as the mighty WoW. Even STO is better than this game. What I find funny is that I have had an email from the creators of this game four times this week, two asking for my feedback, one offering me a free weeks play time and another wanting to know why I unsubscribed. It was simple. The game is bloody boring. And I love the way guys like you seem to think the game is anything like as strong as other games. Well here is the scoop it aint.. It is like circling the drain. And you can keep plugging away at making it out to be some kind of WoW killer, but sadly it just isn't even on the same page. Well I hope you enjoy your game, and do keep talking it up, but in time you will see what happens... But hey. I'm off to enjoy myself. But not in Star Wars.

Sorry but the game sucks. Its boring as hell. Gotta be the worst MMO I have ever played. I am not bored with MMOs but took me very little time to work out just how bad this was. And I play Rift as well as the mighty WoW. Even STO is better than this game. What I find funny is that I have had an email from the creators of this game four times this week, two asking for my feedback, one offering me a free weeks play time and another wanting to know why I unsubscribed. It was simple. The game is bloody boring. And I love the way guys like you seem to think the game is anything like as strong as other games. Well here is the scoop it aint.. It is like circling the drain. And you can keep plugging away at making it out to be some kind of WoW killer, but sadly it just isn't even on the same page. Well I hope you enjoy your game, and do keep talking it up, but in time you will see what happens... But hey. I'm off to enjoy myself. But not in Star Wars.

Can you take screen shots of those smails and provide links please?

How about in the meantime can we get a number instead of a word to see how many are on teh servers?

Ex:

Server Name:x, Population:93

Server Name:x, Population:289

Server Name:x, Population:100

Server Name:x, Population:53

just so we can see that it has NOONE or it has SOME and chances of finding groups are that much better. the kids who want high pop join the higher numbers, etc.!

Edited by cIear

Haha you unsubbed? yet... you need a subscription to post in the forums?

TROLOLOLOLOL

Haha you unsubbed? yet... you need a subscription to post in the forums?

TROLOLOLOLOL

He prolly has a few days left on his account........

They don't cut it off the second you cancel, you get the rest of your time you paid for....

Edited by Dego_Locc

How about in the meantime can we get a number instead of a word to see how many are on teh servers?

Ex:

Server Name:x, Population:93

Server Name:x, Population:289

Server Name:x, Population:100

Server Name:x, Population:53

just so we can see that it has NOONE or it has SOME and chances of finding groups are that much better. the kids who want high pop join the higher numbers, etc.!

A nightly scan at prime time (for the server) wll show you that about 80% of the servers are Standard [which is between 1000 and 1500 players (established by sampling numerous servers by multiple forum members).] About 10-15% of servers are Light (and frankly always have been0. The rest are Heavy or greater.

This has been consistent for almost 2 months now.

What is very likely happening is that the LIGHTS are becoming lighter as people leave them to reroll on another server. I have sampled a few light servers where people say they are dying off and I do see some evidence of this. But the other 85-90% of servers are stable or growing.

Edited by Andryah

Anyone get the feeling that when they do this, some of the people asking for it will be the first to cry failure? I remember when SWG announced servers where closing down and you could transfer, lot of people cried victory and how it was a great day that SWG was having to merge servers because it was a bad thing. Heh

MUST have server merges for low pop servers..... heard that wont be happening cause it makes the game look bad -_-

Look at it this way, ppl on low pop servers r unhappy they will eventually either A. quit the game or B. move to a different server

and eventually the server will continue to lose more and more ppl and will have no ppl left on it and it will either need to be removed or the remaining ppl will need to be merged with another server anyway.

Bioware do u like money.... yes duh... simple equation for u

happy players + more players = more money

server merges will keep current players happy cause they now will have ppl to do stuff with and will keep them from leaving the game and new players will be more likely to stick around because it will seem like more ppl are actually playing compared to the low pop servers that make the game look dead and unfun... server merge = win for everyone

A nightly scan at prime time (for the server) wll show you that about 80% of the servers are Standard [which is between 1000 and 1500 players (established by sampling numerous servers by multiple forum members).] About 10-15% of servers are Light (and frankly always have been0. The rest are Heavy or greater.

What is very likely happening is that the LIGHTS are becoming lighter as people leave them to reroll on another server. I have sampled a few light servers where people say they are dying off and I do see some evidence of this. But the other 85-90% of servers are stable or growing.

you really belive it ? its a lie bro just it pure propaganda my server at this exact time has 22 players in republic fleet and 3 at coruscant and 2 at ord mantel

You guys need create 1 char lvl 10 and go to republic fleet to know the true

The Fatman now at this exact time has 130 players on republic and like 80 players in each map so the Fatman is the only full server and most populated

Stop be selfish no one with 3-4 chars on 50 will reroll dude we will stop play just like that and what will happen with imps in this servers ?yeah cuz in my server at the same time we have 120 imps oh they will wait for transfer and when transfer come if come will create a huge server imbalance in your server too and any try with next open world pvp will fail again

2 milion lol and kids belive

yeah yeah 1500 players in each standard LOLOLOLOL

check the true before troll http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/generalpvppop1.png

Edited by lordhaizen

Honestly your bias really shows. I recall your math from early threads that "proved" the game had 2.5million subscribers in mid-February.

MUST have server merges for low pop servers..... heard that wont be happening cause it makes the game look bad -_-

Look at it this way, ppl on low pop servers r unhappy they will eventually either A. quit the game or B. move to a different server

and eventually the server will continue to lose more and more ppl and will have no ppl left on it and it will either need to be removed or the remaining ppl will need to be merged with another server anyway.

server merges will keep current players happy cause they now will have ppl to do stuff with and will keep them from leaving the game and new players will be more likely to stick around because it will seem like more ppl are actually playing compared to the low pop servers that make the game look dead and unfun... server merge = win for everyone

Yeah, people aren't going to wait around twiddling their thumbs for months in this market place. Inability to find groups and "unpolished" features (that being subjective, mind you) is the reason a lot of rl and online friends are back to WoW & Rift, some of them cancelled, others are holdilng dual subs till 1.2 comes out.

I was the only person online at 1am this morning on the fleet ( The Ravager EU ) Republic side.

Now i know 1am is kinda late, but 1 person online?

And when i did the /who and removed the name from the box only 16 people showed up online.

I assume this is the count for the entire server ( republic side ).

16 people.... ffs

They dont want that everyone know the truth but here are the real numbers and its far away from 2 milion near 30 mil still playng

real numbers by Research

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/01/numerical-swtor-population-data-for-pvprp-pvp-servers/

dont belive is simple create a char and /who

Seriously? Those numbers are even stated as being NOT the entire servers population, only just under half of the zones. And if you honestly believe a single snapshot in time is a good way to judge an MMOs population then...../facepalm

Server merges won't happen because:

A) Would look bad to EA's investors.

B) Bioware doesn't have the technology to do character transfers. They definitely can't do an entire server merge.

C) Would cause faction imbalance on a much larger scale than already exists.

D) They are optimistic that 1.2 will bring back a majority of people who have stopped playing.

A) Worse than the reputation they have already garnered with them since December? I think not

B) Of course they do, and a server merge would be much less work.

C) It would be quite easy to select a republic biased server and an imperial biased server with similar numbers and merge those. Come on.

D) They are optimistic, and it probably will. But they will just quit again at the end of the month.

A) Worse than the reputation they have already garnered with them since December? I think not

B) Of course they do, and a server merge would be much less work.

C) It would be quite easy to select a republic biased server and an imperial biased server with similar numbers and merge those. Come on.

D) They are optimistic, and it probably will. But they will just quit again at the end of the month.

Yeah, the fact that they aren't doing stuff like this has broken my confidence in the game. That compiled with PC gamers complete side lining of the game, things aren't looking up. 1.2 will need to be a Messiah patch

Their mess.

BW wont go out and say "It's your fault players, you broke our servers." However you're more than happy to make an attempt at subtly doing so yourself.

After placing all of the blame on the players, you then say that blame games don't help our cause.

Well played friend. You're a good example on how to forum.

Because thinking for yourself is hard.

First off.. I'm not subtly implying its the players fault. I'm downright blaming them. (some ofc not every single one)

Second off, i didn't put ALL of the blame on the players, but the main issue is player created and it can be seen in any mmo with servers/shards. That's not something that the devs create, they can potentially make it worse with too many servers, but they don't create it. Bioware only screwed up because they made a few too many servers. 10-20 less probably would have been better. but EVEN THEN the issue would have occurred.

And last but not least. It's called fighting fire with fire. If you guys really want to start with this ignorant blame game,and ignore any logical or moral thought that might cross your mind, then I might as well point out the REAL issue behind the situation in a typical forum-esque way.

It's called perspective. If you don't want to have one it's your problem, I'll just throw it out here until you see both black AND white.

Funny how ignorance disappears when my argumentation starts looking like yours. Albeit only for a few seconds.

On a side-note. i can't believe the same lackluster, misinformed and childish arguments are made over and over again for nigh 10 pages.

This game won't die because a handful of the vocal minority on the forums say so. If you insist on being vocal, be constructive and leave the baseless comments like "this game will be dead by x" at home.

Edited by Frozenshiva

Server merges won't happen because:

A) Would look bad to EA's investors.

B) Bioware doesn't have the technology to do character transfers. They definitely can't do an entire server merge.

C) Would cause faction imbalance on a much larger scale than already exists.

D) They are optimistic that 1.2 will bring back a majority of people who have stopped playing.

Apart from they can transfer entire guilds to the PTS so point B is untrue. Point C is of no real concern.

They need to pull their fingers out of their arses and allow those of us stuck on crappy servers to move, because they can do it, they just wont.

I think the real issue here is..... why are the servers so low now? If they were full/heavy(even standard!) around launch? And I'll tell you - its not because people are re-rolling to more populated servers

Face it, people are leaving, not because of the low server pops..... but because the game generally sucks.

I'll admit, I am a MASSIVE star wars fanboi, and have been waiting for this game for years (even bought a brand new PC to run it) and I love MMORPGs - but even as much as it pains me to admit.... this game really blows.

I'm not saying it will blow forever (hopefully) - but instead of addressing server issues, they need to address the actual gameplay itself.

And yes, I have unsubbed... still got 21 days left to QQ on the forums