Jedi Genetics

AmosMosses

If the Jedi do not believe in love (Physical or emotional), will they not breed themselves out? Is it not ironic that Luke who becomes one of the most powerful Jedi is a result of a Jedi family tree.

The Sith on the other hand do breed like flys, but kill each other off at an alarming rate.

I guess both systems keep force welders from over populating the universe.

Jedi do believe in love, and there are multiple instances of Jedi having descendants in the game including one Jedi Master with a daughter in the Order in the JC's story. It might be discouraged, but the bloodlines do continue, and it isn't like every force sensative is in the Jedi Order.

While Force-sensitivity seems to run in families, it doesn't mean that someone needs to have Jedi parents to be able to use it. There are plenty of cases of Jedi coming from non-Force-using families, meaning that Force-sensitivity is probably a recessive trait and will remain in the population.

It's like the redhead misconception. Having red hair is a recessive trait, so people think they'll eventually die out, but it just means more people will carry the recessive trait, making it common for two non-redheaded parents to have a redheaded child.

People with force powers are discovered at random all the time. There is one on Tython who just started her training and one on Nar Shaddaa who is unsure if she even should go there to train at all.

Basically, force powers appear to be a random trait that pops up every once in a while, no matter what species or if there is much in the way of Jedi lineage. If it is genetic, it's a complex trait involving more than one gene, the expression of which is likely governed by environmental factors and possibly magic.

However, even if it were a more straightforward inheritance issue, who says the Jedi don't just clone/use surrogates/keep failed Padawans around for their bellies? You really don't need love or emotion to make babies, you know.

It's like the redhead misconception. Having red hair is a recessive trait, so people think they'll eventually die out, but it just means more people will carry the recessive trait, making it common for two non-redheaded parents to have a redheaded child.

you mean it's impossible to stop gingers?!?

/cry

Technically, Jedi are only forbidden to love and build attachments, meaning that they could still have sex as long as they don't fall in love with their partner or grow attached to him/her. Stuff like that could often result in children that were force sensitive. Edited by Ticara

I wonder if bioware is gonna reference the Skywalker line in SWTOR.

Doubtful. The Skywalker line starts in about 3000 years. They may make a reference to "force conception" at some point, but the name Skywalker has no meaning for another 3 millennia.

Doubtful. The Skywalker line starts in about 3000 years. They may make a reference to "force conception" at some point, but the name Skywalker has no meaning for another 3 millennia.

Well all we really know about the skywalker line is that Anakin is miraculously conceived in a slave and we also know that when powerful force users have children they tend to be powerful force users so it's not entirely out of the realm of speculation that Anakin could have been part of a long running Sith line (would explain why no Jedi would recognize the name Skywalker) And his mother could have just been less than completely honest about the whole immaculate conception.

Edit: admittedly I'm pulling stuff out of my *** but you still have to admit if they tied it into the Skywalker story it would be pretty cool.

Edited by Xenedus

The Skywalkers were the definition of obscure prior to Anakin and that is the way it should be. To suddenly have them be a powerful line of Force users all along completely negates Anakin's "special" status of being conceived by the Force. Edited by Darth_Pernisc

Well all we really know about the skywalker line is that Anakin is miraculously conceived in a slave and we also know that when powerful force users have children they tend to be powerful force users so it's not entirely out of the realm of speculation that Anakin could have been part of a long running Sith line (would explain why no Jedi would recognize the name Skywalker) And his mother could have just been less than completely honest about the whole immaculate conception.

Edit: admittedly I'm pulling stuff out of my *** but you still have to admit if they tied it into the Skywalker story it would be pretty cool.

Does anyone have a handy reference as to what exactly she does say about the conception? I suddenly get this rather creepy feeling about the force impregnating hundreds of women against their will across the ages to keep itself alive. That would certainly make an interesting story AND explain how there can be powerful force sensitives just showing up in isolated, force-free populations.

Creepy.

Does anyone have a handy reference as to what exactly she does say about the conception?

Something along the lines of: "There was no father. I carried him, gave birth...I can't explain it."

explain how there can be powerful force sensitives just showing up in isolated, force-free populations.

While having one or more Force sensitive parents does increase (though not guarantee) the odds that the child would be Force sensitive it cannot be said that only Force sensitive parents have Force sensitive children. There are tons of characters conceived through mundane means by mundane parents who developed Force sensitivity.

The current Grand Master Satele Shan has a son who is not Force sensitive. It seems that to be Force sensitive requires nothing more than a luck of the genetic draw. However to be exceptional is more dependent on the bloodline or winning the destiny lottery.

Something is wrong with my grammar on that previous sentence but I can't be arsed to figure out what it is.

Force-Sensitivity isn't even necessarily genetic. As many people cringe at the concept of midichlorians, mainly because one of the chief complaints is that "they demystify the Force." I argue that they actually increase the mystery of the Force. All midichlorians really do is allow a biological entity to utilize the energy of the Force in way is body his capable of. Especially adding to the mystery of the Force is Qui-Gon's line, "(Midichlorians) constantly speak to us, telling us the will of the Force." Now, in the same breath as this thing which supposedly reduces the Force to mere biology, we're informed that THE FORCE HAS A WILL. If that doesn't make it more mysterious, I don't know what does. And it can quite simply be said that, if the Force has a will, than the FORCE ITSELF chooses who to gift with increased levels of Force-Sensitivity, and thus who has the potential to become a Force-User. And it is only a small leap of logic from there to say that, if the Force selects those who will wield its power when they are born, that it can choose to bring about a life form solely to wield its power (Anakin Skywalker.) Again, "conceived by the midichlorians" is simply the biological aspect through which the Force itself decided to bring about a "Chosen One."

Force-Sensitivity isn't even necessarily genetic. As many people cringe at the concept of midichlorians, mainly because one of the chief complaints is that "they demystify the Force." I argue that they actually increase the mystery of the Force. All midichlorians really do is allow a biological entity to utilize the energy of the Force in way is body his capable of. Especially adding to the mystery of the Force is Qui-Gon's line, "(Midichlorians) constantly speak to us, telling us the will of the Force." Now, in the same breath as this thing which supposedly reduces the Force to mere biology, we're informed that THE FORCE HAS A WILL. If that doesn't make it more mysterious, I don't know what does. And it can quite simply be said that, if the Force has a will, than the FORCE ITSELF chooses who to gift with increased levels of Force-Sensitivity, and thus who has the potential to become a Force-User. And it is only a small leap of logic from there to say that, if the Force selects those who will wield its power when they are born, that it can choose to bring about a life form solely to wield its power (Anakin Skywalker.) Again, "conceived by the midichlorians" is simply the biological aspect through which the Force itself decided to bring about a "Chosen One."

You sir, win the internet.

If the Knight marries Kira, you evetually get convo's (and mails.. lots of mails) from her concerning both marriage and the conception of children.

Among those, she goes about researching the JEdi archives to find out whether our marriage is legal and what about kiddos.

She discovers that while marriage is legal the couple is expected to live apart (like.. planets apart) and that they are occasionally visited by other Jedi to make sure they aren't getting too attached to each other.

About conception the idea of two Jedi having children, she is silent.

If you assume SWTOR is Canon (not sure I go for that, but whatevs) then it seems that Marriage between Jedi is officially sanctioned.. just extremely stupid. You are better off just banging your padawan and never marrying them and just never (letting them see you) form that "attachment" they seem so afraid of.