Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

And so the gold/credit sellers begin to strike!

LordShanon

Frustrating......Not even a month into Star Wars The Old Republic and already I have began to receive spam mail to buy in game money. Having played previous mmo's, I can honestly say that this "trend" seems to be something that isn't taken seriously when it comes to dealing with these people.

At $60 a pop for a copy of this game and then 14.99 a month thereafter (after your first 29 days) it's sad that one has to put up with this level of harassment.

Warning these people to cease their actions and stop harassing players who do not want to be bothered in game by these "gold sellers" or "credit sellers" is pointless since they'll just continue doing it anyway. This is and will become a growing problem. Will there be any repercussion for these violators? And is this even considered a violation of terms of service? If not, it should be!

Furthermore a BioWare needs to take a robust stance and ban these violators! Needless to say, this is very disappointing:(

Edited by LordShanon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my first in-game mail the day Early Access started, they've been around. The only ways a game can prevent gold selling/buying is to not have a monetary system, or have the company sell the currency themselves. Neither of which I'd bet anyone would want to see BioWare do.

Its already easy enough to get credits, so the credit sellers are SOL.

I am not sure, they seem to be introducing stuff to spend credits on in 1.1.5 and 1.2. So my bet is on more gold sellers.

Frustrating......Not even a month into Star Wars The Old Republic and already I have began to receive spam mail to buy in game money. Having played previous mmo's, I can honestly say that this "trend" seems to be something that isn't taken seriously when it comes to dealing with these people.

At $60 a pop for a copy of this game and then 14.99 a month thereafter (after your first 29 days) it's sad that one has to put up with this level of harassment.

Warning these people to cease their actions and stop harassing players who do not want to be bothered in game by these "gold sellers" or "credit sellers" is pointless since they'll just continue doing it anyway. This is and will become a growing problem. Will there be any repercussion for these violators? And is this even considered a violation of terms of service? If not, it should be!

Furthermore a Bethesda needs to take a robust stance and ban these violators! Needless to say, this is very disappointing:(

They have been here since day 1 of EA.

Furthermore a Bethesda needs to take a robust stance and ban these violators! Needless to say, this is very disappointing:(

That probobly wont help.

Anyway, I'd far rather have creditspam than listen to eye-gon (Ahto city residents worst troll)

"Gold sellers" thrive in player driven economies with top gear being crafted. Crafters buy the gold for mats, adventurers buy the stuff for gear and so on. SWtOR is quest/story driven and everything can be earned. I don't think the farmers will do very well here.

Well I can safely say that if you report them they'll take action.

Some snitch seems to have reported me for saying in Ilum /say that "Imps are playing like ******* **** again", got an e-mail from Bioware to stop it or face a ban. :rolleyes:

Then get out of mmo's cause there's NO way to stop them. The only way to stop them is to not let your game go live. G'luck with your frustration. I mean, really, is it that bad you have to come complain on the forums bout it. Nothing can be done of it. Not sure if its just cause its new or what, but SWTOR has FAR less gold farmers than any mmo i've played to date.

This is not a solution!

There are no solutions. Most gold sellers are using compromised account they obtained via key loggers, phishing, etc (aka stupid users). It does not matter how much the MMO makers try, they can't stop the gold sellers as long as there is a market. If they make credits too easy to obtain, inflation destroys the economy. If they make credits harder to obtain, more people are driven to buy gold due to the scarcity of it. As long as the games have people in them, the gold sellers will always exist.

I got one two weeks in.....reported it, dont know what happened, but I havent recieved on sence.

I do know they got rid of some accounts for credit mining

I was imperessed.... Will they be as fast in the future....dunno

It's pretty simple: either take the 1 credit bribe to not report it (the mail will delete when you take the credit) or simply report it. I'm sure BW is automatically tracking all those 1 credit mails sent out anyway, but to be on the safe side, I guess it's better to still click the report button and flag it as spam.

Either way: don't buy credits from third party vendors.

1) It's just not worth it. Even the biggest fool could easily make a million credits in just a week.

2) You DO risk your account when Bioware finds out.

3) You WILL lose all credibility among your peers in this game when they figure out you're buying credits (especially given how easy they are to aquire in the first place).

I really would've liked to see something like EVE's PLEX system, it has "buying gamecurrency from third party vendors outside the game is for idiots" written all over it, while at the same time it adds some buffer to subscription numbers. Though maybe it wouldn't work as well he with all the seperated servers, making the markets too small for such a scheme, where in EVE every single player is able to trade with every single other player.

I get a spam email from time to time. I report it to Bioware using the spam button.

It's much less in this game then most. One of the advantages of such a big galaxy with so many planets is that there are not many productive places for "barkers" to camp out and hawk their gold in /general.

Besides, I have way more credits then I can spend already. So they are working the wrong game IMO if they want their business to thrive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.