New Oceanic servers for Aus/NZ ONLY

nokstar

It isnt wrong at all to place servers in australia its just that they placed it in the wrong part of australia. If they had placed it in perth, making it more centralised for the whole of asia-pacific and also based on logical sense of how routing works for the region then we wouldnt be here discussing about this in the first place.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure one of the deciding factors in placing servers in AU is the population of AU/NZ users/players compared to the rest of Asia. I'm guessing that even with SG + HK + others combined, AU/NZ have more players significantly.

It is definitely the case that there are a lot more AU/NZ players and placing the servers in AU was an obvious choice but why call it Asia Pacific and not just Oceanic? It is a pretty blatant scam to earn more money to advertise in Singapore and Hong Kong saying that it will have decrease latency.

I don't think it is all that constructive to have post after post accusing BW of deceitful advertising. I really doubt they intentionally set out to falsely claim better latency for Asian players. Clearly, they just made the simple, yet erroneous conclusion that since Aus is closer to the Asian countries, that it would result in lower latency.

Yeah, major ooops, but that is what it is, a mistake. Can they fix it? Realistically, no. I just don't see it as worth the expense to put servers in Taiwan or some other central hub, since such places aren't part of the A-P release (including my country, Japan).

What they should do, is correct their marketing materials to say better latency for Aus and NZ players.

Then, players like me in Asia are stuck with a real conundrum. Where do we play now? We can roll on Harbinger or Swiftsure, but those will be quickly devoid of same time zone players as all the Aussies and New Zealanders move to the Oceanic servers. Our other option is to play with even worse pings on the Oceanic servers. Neither is a good option, really. Personally, I'm really unsure what to do, since I get a 280ms ping on the Oceanic servers.

Then, players like me in Asia are stuck with a real conundrum. Where do we play now? We can roll on Harbinger or Swiftsure, but those will be quickly devoid of same time zone players as all the Aussies and New Zealanders move to the Oceanic servers. Our other option is to play with even worse pings on the Oceanic servers. Neither is a good option, really. Personally, I'm really unsure what to do, since I get a 280ms ping on the Oceanic servers.

Yeah, sadly now during our playtimes, swiftsure and habringer, is no longer as populated as before, and it's more difficult to find people to play with.

The problem now is what will BW do?

Will this A-P servers eventually work as advertised, so much so that Asian guilds can look forward to and transfer over in April, or are they not going to do anything and leave it as that...

Edited by eGGiSM

It isnt wrong at all to place servers in australia its just that they placed it in the wrong part of australia. If they had placed it in perth, making it more centralised for the whole of asia-pacific and also based on logical sense of how routing works for the region then we wouldnt be here discussing about this in the first place.

Exactly, I have no idea why they didn't do this. I am sure they have some reason, but it eludes me personally.

The problem now is what will BW do?

Will this A-P servers eventually work as advertised, so much so that Asian guilds can look forward to and transfer over in April, or are they not going to do anything and leave it as that...

Well, the least they could do is append their announcement, but besides that, I am not sure what there is for them to do.

Annnnnd continuing their fine tradition of customer service, we have one answer:

Apparently my latency to the Asia Pacific servers cannot be avoided. Also, someone should tell your CS crew that they should capitalize country names.

Judging from that and the other spelling mistakes, I'm betting BW offshores their CS.

you know, for a 300M $ project team, i'm surprised none of them could do a simple google search.

They have done something that WoW won't do after 8 years.

Oceanic servers.

SW:TOR has given us that in 3 months.

The devs deserve the benefit of the doubt and gets A for effort.

Edited by ConradLionhart

I think, really, bottom line is they can't reasonably do anything to fix the latency issue at this point. It just wouldn't make business sense from a cost-benefit analysis to also open servers in an Asian country.

I think the best thing they can do at this point is

1) open a West Coast server and move it to the Oceanic Server tab for us players that live in Asia, but don't want to play with 300+ pings; and

2) amend their marketing to be truthful so that Asian players don't buy the game expecting good latency, when clearly, they won't get it.

I think, really, bottom line is they can't reasonably do anything to fix the latency issue at this point. It just wouldn't make business sense from a cost-benefit analysis to also open servers in an Asian country.

I think the best thing they can do at this point is

1) open a West Coast server and move it to the Oceanic Server tab for us players that live in Asia, but don't want to play with 300+ pings; and

2) amend their marketing to be truthful so that Asian players don't buy the game expecting good latency, when clearly, they won't get it.

I think Bioware is actually trying. I was contacted in game by a GM (there really needs to be a tell or something, because I don't know how long he or she was waiting for an answer from me because I didn't see the pulsing yellow question mark) who seemed genuine in his or her desire to help. While his or her advice (which was to connect directly to my modem forgoing my router) was not exactly what I had in mind (I guess technically it did help a little bit, my latency went down to 280, but of course my wife's displeasure at being kicked off the internet somewhat mitigated this tiny gain), I was told they have been escalating these tickets.

Edited by Stryges

Exactly, I have no idea why they didn't do this. I am sure they have some reason, but it eludes me personally.

It would make little if any difference to Hong Kong residents. Regardless, HK residents aren't going to get better ping on any Australian server as compared to US West Coast servers already available.

The point is that Bioware shouldn't have made false claims in their advertising. You may think it's fine for companies to say anything they like in their advertising; the US Fair Trade Commission disagrees with you (as well it should).

I think Bioware is actually trying. I was contacted in game by a GM (there really needs to be a tell or something, because I don't know how long he or she was waiting for an answer from me because I didn't see the pulsing yellow question mark) who seemed genuine in his or her desire to help. While his or her advice (which was to connect directly to my modem forgoing my router) was not exactly what I had in mind (I guess technically it did help a little bit, my latency went down to 280, but of course my wife's displeasure at being kicked off the internet somewhat mitigated this tiny gain), I was told they have been escalating these tickets.

Well, I am not in the crowd that thinks Bioware intentionally tried to deceive customers or screw them over. I think they just didn't even consider how international routing works - they just don't have international experience maybe. But the simple fact is, unless the move their servers, which I don't see as practical, considering the cost, they can't improve the latency noticeably, no matter how much they might want to.

So, they should do what they can, which is to set aside an official server for Asian players that is based in the West Coast. I think for pretty much everyone in Asia, that would beat the Oceanic server pings, though there might be a few exceptions.

Edited by Toroi

They have done something that WoW won't do after 8 years.

Oceanic servers.

SW:TOR has given us that in 3 months.

The devs deserve the benefit of the doubt and gets A for effort.

No one is complaining about the fact that they put in Oceanic Servers. Kudos to them on that.

We are complaining that they did not even do any research about the internet routing in Asia and called it Asia Pacific Servers saying we get reduced latency from Asia.

A for effort? More like A for trying to make as much money as possible by deceiving the customers, whether intentional or not intentional it is still false advertising.

Edited by BIazeOfGlory

I tried a tunneling server and got 120ms. So I guess we are resigned to pay more for lower ms. :(

Can you pm me the details which tunneling service you used? A name or URL will do. This is connecting to the Aussie servers correct?

Most of the Australian (99%) and New Zealander (100%) players live 4000km+ away from Perth on the eastern side. This is also where the major hubs are located. Putting the servers in Perth would be no different to staying on USWC servers.

IMO servers in Singapore (SEA) would do the trick. Oceania for Aus/NZ and Pacific.

Well, I am not in the crowd that thinks Bioware intentionally tried to deceive customers or screw them over. I think they just didn't even consider how international routing works - they just don't have international experience maybe. But the simple fact is, unless the move their servers, which I don't see as practical, considering the cost, they can't improve the latency noticeably, no matter how much they might want to.

So, they should do what they can, which is to set aside an official server for Asian players that is based in the West Coast. I think for pretty much everyone in Asia, that would beat the Oceanic server pings, though there might be a few exceptions.

"they just don't have international experience maybe."

Bioware is a wholly owned subdivision of EA. It's not an independent developer anymore; it's not even a subsidiary or legal entity separate from EA anymore. EA is a public listed company of global scope that reported US$3.8 billion in revenues in the fiscal year ending March 2011. It has offices around the world, and has launched many online games worldwide, including MMORPG's.

You should not be making excuses and acting as an apologist on behalf of EA. EA should be apologizing to HK and Singapore players who purchased the game or transferred servers based on EA's false representation that they would experience "decreased network latency" and "better performance" on the new "Asia-Pacific Servers".

"they just don't have international experience maybe."

Bioware is a wholly owned subdivision of EA. It's not an independent developer anymore; it's not even a subsidiary or legal entity separate from EA anymore. EA is a public listed company of global scope that reported US$3.8 billion in revenues in the fiscal year ending March 2011. It has offices around the world, and has launched many online games worldwide, including MMORPG's.

You should not be making excuses and acting as an apologist on behalf of EA. EA should be apologizing to HK and Singapore players who purchased the game or transferred servers based on EA's false representation that they would experience "decreased network latency" and "better performance" on the new "Asia-Pacific Servers".

Well said. Very well said. You deserve kudos.

Edited by VictoireStar

I just started and my latency is 200ms.

But I would like to know how we can fix this.

Is this on our ISP's end, or australian server's end?

I think it depends on your ISP routing. Some has access to australia land therefore having low latency to the new servers but (sadly) most of them don't. This is why playing in US server is a lot better for asian players.

As what I've been suggesting before :

1. Do not close the current 'fake' asia server because a lot of players are playing there already. Instead, rename current Asia/Pacific server to Australia/New Zealand.

2. Add real Asia server in an asian country, preferably singapore because they have great internet infrastructure and located in the middle of SEA zone. I don't know about HK players but I believe they will have better ping to SG than to AUS, that's for sure.

Whole new game playing with a 40 ping. Love it.

I never realised the extra delay and skips etc that occur with my old 250 ping to now. The game is so much smoother and more enjoyable. Has boosted my PVP stats also. Good times.

Your blaming Bioware for the issues with lag when those servers hosted in aus/NZ have to use aus/NZ internet providers and the internet down there kinda sucks. have fun!

No, we're blaming Bioware for deceitfully naming it "Asia-Pacific," when there's absolutely nothing Asian about it and getting terrible connection to them Aussie servers. Any moron with internet can do a simple ping test and find out, but Bioware either doesn't know this or they simply want to scam as many Asian subs as possible in their little false advertisement.

We're happy for the Aussie folks, we really do, but we don't appreciate being played for fools by BW/EA. They could have just named it "Oceanic Launch" and spared us the deceitful marketing.

Edited by corebit