Is TOR a PvP based game?

Toogeloo

Please don't think I am trolling here, but I really think that this game is being geared to be a PvP game. Even on a PvE server, I am getting this impression.

At level 50, I see more people doing Ilum or looking for groups for PvP. Here on the forums, all I see are guides on how to play classes in PvP, and almost nothing about PvE builds. Most patch notes revolve around PvP balance and only small bug fixes regarding PvE encounters or quests, and I'd wager a large chunk of most topics on the board are all in discussion of PvP.

It's been hell trying to get groups for PvE content, and seems like the only way to socialize with people now a days is to play PvP.

i think generally modern mmo players are more interested in pvp than pve, even pve'ers want wz's on their servers now.

Tera had a poll out on their forums where they asked their players what sort of servers they wanted to play on, only 0.5% wanted to play on a pure pve server lol

unfortunately tor was NOT geared to be a pvp game, it was geared to be a pve game with pvp slapped on by an ex mythic team as an after-thought.

that's why so many people are leaving/have left

Edited by Evuke

pve in this game actually sucks. yeah the class quests, and all the dialogue is great, but then you hit end game and you realize for a "pve mmo", the end game options are TERRIBLE

all the "hard mode" flashpoints are basically 1 piece of loot that anyone cares about for 45 minutes of clearing trash/boss fights that can be done by fresh 50s

the ops give a ton of loot but even then, its the same loot you can get from pvp, only pvp is much easier and FUNNER because the ops encounters bascially amount to rehashed ideas from wow

its not meant to be a pvp game at all, but the pve is so boring that it makes the pvp the only route

pve has limited replability.

TOR pve is AWESOME once, maybe twice. The story driven nature of it is really fun to play through, much more engaging then any MMO to date, but its all basically single player till you hit 50 , then post 50 the stories aren't new, at least the flash points aren't. Playing the pve 1-50 with a group is fun, the planet stories are much more enjoyable, but there is a conflict since you can't participate in the single player story line.

I think TOR could be a pvp game, but right now it isn't. Its a great set of SP stories in a persistent world with excellent co-op options.

PVE in this game is pretty easy, that's one.

Second and more importantly, to pvp, you just hit a button in the lower right that you can do anywhere. At any time if you want to pvp, within a couple minutes you will probably be pvping.

There's no Dungeon finder equivalent in this game and people get tired of yelling LFG in fleet general, so they hit that convenient pvp button that lets them do something immediately and get some sort of minor progression.

At least that's how it is for me. I didn't even come to this game intending on pvping, but it's so easy to join pvp and such a pain to set up pve, that now I mostly pvp.

PvE is too easy in this game (can be "finished" in 2-3 weeks) while PvP consists of 3 arenas and 1 "planet".

There are too few options in the game to call it either "PvE" or "PvP".

so you have 8 level 50s and did it all in 2-3 weeks?

You've also played through all the republic side planet quests and the imperial side planet quests, at least once? That is of course much easier to achieve, but I've been playing since early access and I've only finished 1 class story line completely and I skipped planets when I outleveled them so I haven't even played all the available story on each planet. I play daily, I haven't even played all the flashpoints yet and none of the operations. Not that I'm very interested in them, but in terms of pve content you are just wrong. There is lots and lots of it. If you don't find it engaging that is your opinion, but there is a lot of it available to those who do enjoy it.

If you are a lover of story driven rpgs this game provides you with ALOT of hours of story, the first time through on each faction is best since everything is new.

That means that you've got at least 1 full republic play through and 1 full empire play through that if you actually take the time to enjoy the story and the planet quests will take you at a min 2 weeks each. The remaining 6 possible class storylines may require you spend more time pvping or doing space missions to fill the level gap in between if you aren't interested in replaying all the planet missions.

If the remaining 6 have comparable play times (albeit more time grinding), that would mean at a minimum to get through ALL 8 of the advanced classes would take 16 weeks, in hard core mode.

I have 3 other family members playing this game, of those, I'm the only one who has a lvl 50. I am by far more of a hard core gamer then any of them. They have been playing since December as well. I expect that your average gamer could play the PvE in this game for at least a year and still not have completed all of the the stories.

So, if you are going to suggest it isn't a pvp game, that I can agree with. However, it most definatley qualifies as a PvE game with ALOT of content. Perhaps it isn't content you enjoy, but it is definatley there.

Edited by Tilure

PVE in this game is pretty easy, that's one.

Second and more importantly, to pvp, you just hit a button in the lower right that you can do anywhere. At any time if you want to pvp, within a couple minutes you will probably be pvping.

There's no Dungeon finder equivalent in this game and people get tired of yelling LFG in fleet general, so they hit that convenient pvp button that lets them do something immediately and get some sort of minor progression.

At least that's how it is for me. I didn't even come to this game intending on pvping, but it's so easy to join pvp and such a pain to set up pve, that now I mostly pvp.

Definitely not a PvP game. TOR is under-planned and under-developed, and lacks a lot of things it should not be lacking, including a good PvE or PvP end-game.

What even qualifies as good PvE end game?

Name a game that has good PvE end game, I see this complaint in every MMO I've ever played.

TORS PvE end game is on par with all current mmo pve end game out there.

FP in HM and operations (raiding). Standard. This isn't what makes TOR different and they never claimed it to be.

TOR stands out because its a story driven MMO and again... they have a crap ton of story. The problem is, none of you seem interested in enjoying it all.

Please don't think I am trolling here, but I really think that this game is being geared to be a PvP game. Even on a PvE server, I am getting this impression.

At level 50, I see more people doing Ilum or looking for groups for PvP. Here on the forums, all I see are guides on how to play classes in PvP, and almost nothing about PvE builds. Most patch notes revolve around PvP balance and only small bug fixes regarding PvE encounters or quests, and I'd wager a large chunk of most topics on the board are all in discussion of PvP.

It's been hell trying to get groups for PvE content, and seems like the only way to socialize with people now a days is to play PvP.

PVP is one of the easiest ways to get gear in the game, personally I find it more entertaining. PVP also gives you feedback.... you know those scoreboards at the end of the match (ignoring objectives to see your throughput with a new spec), they provide they only inkling of damage/healing capability in the game currently.

When combat logs and parsing because an option... whenever they decide to implement it you will see an abundance of of theory crafting in the PVE forums. When you clear the NM content, you get feedback on your execution... and your clue on whether people are bad at dps etc... is hitting enrage timers and people dying etc...

General rule of thumb if you want to have highest damage / healing in a pve encounter, just be sure NOT to pick up any pvp talents (slows, roots, stuns etc...) unless you have no choice and you will typically be fine.

Edit: Nearly every week there is something changed ... or fixed in PVE in the patch notes... SOA has been addressed pretty often (most buggy boss in game, still needs work).

Edited by Rabbican

No.

PvP in this game is very poorly implemented.

SWTOR is a single player story with a few sideshow MMO elements.

Bioware has until March 20th to make PvP fun and entertaining. Most people do not believe they can do it within the given framework. Most people who enjoy pvp have already left out of boredom and frustration.

Enjoy the PvE story until you hit 50. Roll another character and repeat until you too become bored out of your mind.