WOW really made me appreciate SWTOR

ellrochell

I tried playing WoW, I even played with some of my real world friends, but I couldn't get over how boring each quest was. A lot of it was just go and kill x creature, there was no real "cool" thing about it.

Also I found the grouping to be lackluster, must people never communicated during any of the PvP/Dungeons I went through. So, I don't hate WoW, but I don't see it as anything really as good as SWTOR.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smartest thing you can do is compare the leveling in SWTOR to the leveling in WoW. You are sure to find a long term game to hold your attention by only comparing leveling.

on a serious note, you left SWTOR at endgame because it bored you. Had you gotten to endgame in WoW you would have found alot more to do.

The end game in WOW isn't any different than SWTOR, just less buggy.

MOP is going to be a bigger disaster than Cata was.

Funny i have been gone from wow for a while now was playing for 6 years. I got a free 10 day email from blizz to get me back. I still had wow on my pc, so thought oh why not. I loged in that lasted about 10 mins i loged out. So tried the next day that lasted about 30 mins. After i loged out i took wow of my pc.

It was a great game, kept me playign for 6 years, (5 of them raiding), but for me now wow is just something i can not get back into.

Edited by Bladedakoda

So SWTOR brought me to mmo's it was my first. After a month and a half I had two level 50's and was stumped with what to do next. I was frustrated at lack of content at the end of the game and lack of pvp at times. So I decided to try World of Warcraft as everyone bangs on about how good it is or was or whatever. I logged on for the first time and made a hunter warewolf and began my questing, and could not believe how dull it was up to level 10. There's no voice overs and its an absolute guess where to go for questing. I'm not ************ at it because it is a 7 year old game but the fact that people are comparing these two games is really surprising me, if people just overlook there addiction they had to the game and actually compared the two, SWTOR wins hands down. So Bioware you will be seeing a lot more of me on your game :cool:

lol....

Well, WoW would make me appreciate a colecovision game. So I'm not sure how powerful of an argument this is.

I played WOW from beta and off and on through all expansions. Never went on Raids (hated them) my son who is now almost nine started playing at 2 and half years old. He learned how to use a PC due to that game. I had very good times. I stopped leveling at 49 and just did BGs for years before they made pvp count toward xp. I stopped playing that game ever since. I loved the pvp pre 50, but after that with DK ect... I never played again. My son still plays to this day but only on private servers. The need to raid killed it for me. Still a great game, but happy here for now.

I never said this, I said skill was mostly optional for most 40 man content, which was true. It didn't get really hard until Nax. Even if we lob some AQ40 fights into the list of hard, that still leaves all of MC, all of BWL and a good chunk of AQ40 as being pretty easy where people could slack their way through it. I remember when damage meters came out and we found out most of our casters were auto wanding while our hunters were just auto shooting, not even pushing buttons, and we were already clearing BWL by then.

well for the most of the content yes you are correct, it was rather an easy task, compared to modern raid mechanics. But old Nax and some TBC raids were really hard. I just had a feeling you presented it like - ok EVERYTHING was easy. No, not everything, major part of. But right now, at least what i am hearing from my buddies who still raid, the content is way easy then ICC was, and ICC wasnt really hard (outside of LKHM, it was, very). I mean, WoW now is not in his prime, and its for some time already. WE can easily agree that Sunwell and Ulduar still stand out, one as the hardest and one as the most interesting/challenging.

I am just annoyed when people bring "WoW has cool raiding" argument, hell no, it used to have, not any more.

Smartest thing you can do is compare the leveling in SWTOR to the leveling in WoW. You are sure to find a long term game to hold your attention by only comparing leveling.
Vanilla WoW was long-term for me because the leveling was so fun, and only got better with each additional replay.

TOR...not so much; I need five levels on my first alt (35-40), and I can't even bring myself to start questing outside of my class chain.

I am just annoyed when people bring "WoW has cool raiding" argument, hell no, it used to have, not any more.
Not surprising if you know something about WoW's development.

Vanilla was designed by one team; everything post-MC/Onyxia was designed by another team full of EQ fanboys; chunks from that team were shifted to Titan during the development of WotLK (before, after, IDK, I stopped following because these guys suck at developing anything that isn't a raid).

Edited by Ansultares

Vanilla WoW was long-term for me because the leveling was so fun, and only got better with each additional replay.

TOR...not so much; I need five levels on my first alt (35-40), and I can't even bring myself to start questing outside of my class chain.

But why? You're doing the same quests in both games. One game you have voice over and cinematics and the other you have text for dialog. You can even spacebar in swtor and it'll update your quest log and your map so that you know what you gotta do.

But why? You're doing the same quests in both games. One game you have voice over and cinematics and the other you have text for dialog. You can even spacebar in swtor and it'll update your quest log and your map so that you know what you gotta do.

Quests don't matter, combat matters. That is where WoW wipes the floor with SWTOR. I just skipped reading quest text in WoW. In SWTOR, skipping the quest dialog is harder, spamming the space bar over and over again because you just want to move on to the offered mediocre combat.

But to be fair to SWTOR, I did find the dialong interesting and listened to it all for about 35 levels or so. Just not interesting enough to make up for everything else and doesn't hold my attention long term.

I will agree with the players defending SWTOR on this issue of questing.

Leveling on SWTOR was more enjoyable than it was on WoW, even when you consider it's more linear worlds. Shame it's over with so fast.

On WoW I felt my soul dying inside me while leveling up. The quests were so mind-numbingly boring. The combat was so pitiful and monotonous. SWTOR is vastly superior to WoW from a leveling up perspective in my mind.

But why? You're doing the same quests in both games.
Depth of world, mainly. WoW content was more expressive of the story, whereas TOR content assumes you got all the necessary story from the cutscene.

One game you have voice over and cinematics and the other you have text for dialog.
To be honest, cutscenes were always something that I would have to tolerate. They're a novelty, and possibly a pricey one at that. I can see the merit in using them under select conditions to enhance the story, but you still need strong gameplay as a foundation.

You can even spacebar in swtor and it'll update your quest log and your map so that you know what you gotta do.
Funny you mention that; advanced quest tracker is a curse on the genre. Plotting out quest patterns, planning quest reward gear progression, and even just referencing a 3rd party site to figure out why I'm the idiot who can't find the quest objective were all part of the allure of leveling in WoW.

Also, having to spacebar several times and deal with some slight loading time related to the cutscene are unnecessary hurdles added on top of the text-based system; no, it's not an adequate alternative.

On WoW I felt my soul dying inside me while leveling up. The quests were so mind-numbingly boring. The combat was so pitiful and monotonous. SWTOR is vastly superior to WoW from a leveling up perspective in my mind.
Vanilla or post-BC?

They've heavily adjusted vanilla leveling since I last played. Dungeon crawling was also more rewarding in vanilla than it is in TOR, both in terms of relative experience and relative gear rewards, but obviously dungeon crawling is contingent on an active population.

I can see how people would say TOR is better as a purely solo leveling experience, or predominantly solo leveling experience with occasional grouping (heroics, not FPs), but that's not at all what I'm looking for in a MMO.

Edited by Ansultares

One time on WoW I did this just for kicks.

I stripped my paladin completely naked, except for his hammer and pulled a monster my own level.

I then went to the toilet while my naked paladin auto attacked the monster.

I came back after flushing and the monster was dead.

That in a nutshell explains why WoW's questing was so boring.

I stripped my paladin completely naked, except for his hammer and pulled a monster my own level.

You are so cool!

One time I had no good response to the topic, so I just threw out some hyperbole for my own amusement.

True story.

One time I had no good response to the topic, so I just threw out some hyperbole for my own amusement.

True story.

lol well this is certainly true of your post.

And it wasnt' meant as a response to anything in particular. Which is why I didn't respond to any quotes. It was just a comment meant to emphasize why WoW's questing is so boring. Anytime the combat doesn't require you wear gear or actually be present at the keyboard to win, it's not going to be very engaging.

Also, that was not hyperbole. It is a 100% true story, and I even have witnesses lol But I think it says a lot the combat was so dull and mindless on that game that you find it even hard to beleive.

Edited by JeremyDale

Vanilla or post-BC?

They've heavily adjusted vanilla leveling since I last played. Dungeon crawling was also more rewarding in vanilla than it is in TOR, both in terms of relative experience and relative gear rewards, but obviously dungeon crawling is contingent on an active population.

I can see how people would say TOR is better as a purely solo leveling experience, or predominantly solo leveling experience with occasional grouping (heroics, not FPs), but that's not at all what I'm looking for in a MMO.

I believe it was soon after Burning Crusade when I started playing.

And everyone soloed their levels on WoW when I played it. It was very rare to see anyone grouping to level.

SWTOR wasnt' what I was looking for in an MMO either, so we can agree on this point at least.

in Wow pvp

-mana system for caster classes is an example of resource system in first primitive RPGs

-too much cc. Too long cc durations

Stuns the target for 4 sec. Must be stealthed. Awards 2 combo point.

Finishing move that stuns the target. Lasts longer per combo point:5 points: 6 seconds

We got 10 seconds stun so far. You can tripple it with other cooldowns so total cc duration is around 30 seconds in a 35 seconds fight. Balanced ? lol

-arena is the worst , primitive example of pvp. Its totaly based on reflexes and griefing basics of the game such as line of sight rather then your imagination.

-battlegrounds are cursory , primitive examples of pvp. One tank gets flag and others kill him ? Not even comparable to huttball where you can devolop unlimited strategies.Environment has no effect in pvp at all in wow.

-too much interruption , whole gameplay of casters are based on fake casting and reflexes.

-healers are gods

in swtor pvp

-all classes have unique resource system

-all classes have almost same amount of cc. 2 cc abilities makes your target immune to cc for a short time. Every class is balanced around this system. Highest duration you can cc your target is around 5 seconds with exeptions to effects that break on damage.

-huttball is the most fun medium to pvp in a mmo so far.You can devolope strategies creatively , use environment as your advantage. Knockbacks seem overused but good player can easly avoid most of them.

-interruptions are precious while they are not overused.

-healers feel how they should be in a mmo

Im definitely staying at swtor.I dont care about fluffy panda expantion.Im certain that it will make me bored again after a few days.I love community of swtor.

Edited by kijthae

-too much cc. Too long cc durations

Stuns the target for 4 sec. Must be stealthed. Awards 2 combo point.

Finishing move that stuns the target. Lasts longer per combo point:5 points: 6 seconds

We got 10 seconds stun so far. You can tripple it with other cooldowns so total cc duration is around 30 seconds in a 35 seconds fight. Balanced ? lol

WoW PvP has a lot of problems, but these inaccuracies hurt the credibility of the rest of your argument.

No class can stun lock another player for 10 seconds. Most CC shares some kind of DR with one another, and almost all of it can be dispelled.

If you're getting chained, that's a l2p issue in the context of current gameplay, not an inherent problem with the game itself.

World of Warcraft is big for people because of the memories they had with it because it was good for them and they can't let go no matter what better or good mmorpg comes along with better things.

They feel like they need to "defend" wow every waking moment because they spent so much time on it. It's a human condition inside the brain. It is natural for us to defend things we like, but it is also very healthy to, "let go" and realize there are better things out there.

If a game came along called "Epic Dawn" and it was Sci Fi/Fantasy/Mystery which has spaceships in space done better than eve and black prophecy put together with Fantasy on the planets and had different galaxies you could "warp" to with your ship and have atmospheric flight and be a mix of WoW, TOR, DAoC, AoC, WAR, STO, AION and had graphics like you can't even imagine.....they would STILL complain and say it's a wow clone

They are STUCK on WoW. Their brain, no matter even if they want to get off WoW, even when they aren't playing it, it was great for them. Nothing will crush that for them. Move on :) I did :)

I feel like I'm the only one here who has never played WoW.

That's two of us. I almost joined up when the Wrath of the Lich King advertisements started up, but then I realized that I was about to spend money on orcs and magic potions, sobered up and snapped out of it.

It was a close one, for sure...

A good leveling experience keeps you subbed for 3 months.

A good endgame experience with varied content, fresh and new, keeps you subbed for years.

This is true, and on some level I feel sorry for Bioware. The decision to go full voice limits them in the extreme, because it doesn't scale at all.

Imagine a game with 3 solid months of leveling content. That would have taken another $200 million and a few more years to release.

Now they're stuck. Every problem the game has (and will contiue to have) can be traced back to the decision to go with full voice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.