My 7 year old asked....

Rohkai

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That or STO. I'm sure there are many others that have better character creation than this one. Heck, the newest version of the Hero Engine has better options than we see now.

The current creator for SWTOR is a pile. :(

Yet it is currently functional and not overwhelming for new players and can be changed down the line!!!

Also not a game breaking issue!

Yeh it bothered me too, pretty much at no point in the game does my jedi/sith actually feel like a jedi/sith. They cant jump high at all, they take huge amounts of fall damage from even pathetic drops, they're incredibly weak compared to most npc's and bosses.. having 4 jedi hit some boss for 10 minutes to take him down doesnt make u feel very powerful, my marauder has practically no 'traditional' force powers (force push/pull, lightning etc).

But all that being said it comes down to balance and gameplay, and those things (should) always trump anything else. I only wish gameplay trumped 'story' in many of the more restrictive areas than it does.

I agree, at least he's using real time critical thinking

Or he could be learning a second language, playing an instrument or participating in some sport - you know, that cultural character building stuff.

I can’t tell you how to raise your child, but I can freely comment on how disturbing I find this.

We have one, but so far (at level 35) it's useless with the exception of one attack. We can't use it to jump or fly.

Oh, we can float off the ground for a couple of seconds as we vent heat too. Ironic, when you figure that rockets generate heat, they don't disperse it. :D

Actually; if I'm not totally mistaken, rockets produce and vent the heat generated by the combustion of a fuel and air mixture which is a dispersment of ecxess heat and energy. This venting process is then chaneled into a "choke" shaped vent to create thrust. I could be wrong but I'll let the real rocket scientists answer that.

Edited by Rohkai

Or he could be learning a second language, playing an instrument or participating in some sport - you know, that cultural character building stuff.

I can’t tell you how to raise your child, but I can freely comment on how disturbing I find this.

I pay 15k a year for that ****, What we do on our off time is exactly that. Off time

To all the people saying MMO's are not doing good for 7 year olds, here is my response:

1. Kid doesn't do drugs

2. Doesn't get girls pregnant at 16

3. Doesn't end up on Jersey Shore

4. Has good grammar.

5. Fat (Rich ladys like fat guys)

6. Good hand eye coordination

7. Is smarter

8. Learns trash talking

9. Social skills

10. Has a better chance to get a job (If you play a MMO for two hours before a job interview, you have a 40% better chance to get employed)

Sooo yeah, 7 year old playing an mmo is a good thing, not only will he learn the above skills, he will also learn about stuff beforehand so he doesn't end up as a bad kid.

How do I know this? My life.

I am on the fence as to what age a child should be allowed to play video games or even on the internet.

My theory is as long as they are supervised and the game/net does not overtake their entire life then it should not be an issue.

Would I ever let my child play an online game or an a game I found age inappropriate? Hell no!

I have watched a 7 year old lose his PC privileges removed because he watched **** online. He is no longer allowed to use a PC out of sight of his mom!

All children should be supervised on the internet and playing games...

internet and games are only bad if the parenting is bad.

To all the people saying MMO's are not doing good for 7 year olds, here is my response:

1. Kid doesn't do drugs

2. Doesn't get girls pregnant at 16

3. Doesn't end up on Jersey Shore

4. Has good grammar.

5. Fat (Rich ladys like fat guys)

6. Good hand eye coordination

7. Is smarter

8. Learns trash talking

9. Social skills

10. Has a better chance to get a job (If you play a MMO for two hours before a job interview, you have a 40% better chance to get employed)

Sooo yeah, 7 year old playing an mmo is a good thing, not only will he learn the above skills, he will also learn about stuff beforehand so he doesn't end up as a bad kid.

How do I know this? My life.

While I agree letting young kids play MMOs isnt a bad thing, only half of the things on that list have any direct relationship to playing video games. And are you seriously saying being fat is a good thing?

What kind of person lets their 7yo play a sith? I'm stunned at the idea of that.

Playing an MMO is fine there are plenty of MMOs out there that would be age appropriate for a 7yo, but the sith in this game is not.

Edited by ifrinn

Which is YOUR OPINION.

I fully intend to let my twin boys play SWTOR at age 7 and have their own computers by age 12 so they can play with mommy and daddy.

Furthermore, I started playing MMORPG's when I was 12. I learned teamwork, social skills that I didnt learn on the school yard, as well as a lot of math. I was adding/ multiplying and deviding huge numbers back then without a calculator because in Ultima Online, I ran multiple businesses.

MORPG's do nothing but teach, it all relys heavily on the parents to what the MMORPG teaches their children.

My parents did not play however, my dad was very interested in what my businesses were and helped them grow until I was known throughout the whole server.

My son's first MMO was UO. Hell it was MY first MMO as well. He started about 8 years old and by 9 he was putting together his own websites.

My son turned 25 last December. He is currently playing WoW as an avid Rper (until I can get his computer purchased and sent to him, hehe late birthday present) wherein he will join us here in ToR. Needless to say he is almost giggling like a schoolgirl over the idea.

His love of RP is also what inspired him to write fiction, which, like mom here, is what he does.

I agree about MMO's can teach a lot to kids. It's just up to the parents to mediate. As parents, we should be doing that regardless.

While I agree letting young kids play MMOs isnt a bad thing, only half of the things on that list have any direct relationship to playing video games. And are you seriously saying being fat is a good thing?

Not saying this in a mean way, but most people over 150 pounds are successful.

Not saying this in a mean way, but most people over 150 pounds are successful.

.....Correlation does not equal causation. You're saying that they are successful BECAUSE they are overweight? Unless you're a sumo wrestler or a football player I don't see any possible reason why being overweight will make you any more successful than someone who's not.

Edit: And being over 150lbs does not mean you are overweight. It depends on your weight/height ratio*.

*not sure if ratio is the right word, but i hope you know what I mean.

Edited by Akirator

:rod_confused_g: WORDS WORDS WORDS -- I can’t tell you how to raise your child, but I can freely comment on how disturbing I find this.

How is playing a Role-Playing game even remotely 'disturbing'? What *I* find 'disturbing' is how far you have a stick up your rear -- Why do you feel it necessary to vocalize your minority opinion about other peoples children and how they should raise them? How do you know that this person's child is not a well-rounded individual who participates many facets of 'cultural character building' (Hahaha get REAL. The child is 7!!!!!!!!!)

If you ARE a parent... well... I feel for your children. They shouldn't have to grow up so 'rigidly'. I'm sure you were an angel who didn't play any games when you were a child -- right? How disturbing, eh?

Edited by DestinedChaos

Its really great how the OP's question has been compleatly lost on parenting, weight control, and morality.

I find it really funny that some of this advice is found on a forum where folks beat on each other at the first chance presented.

The world is a funny place:sul_confused: