Cheating: It's effect and when it will end

OpenSorce

It will end on December 23, 2012 as will everything else.

but seriously, cheating END? Not on this planet. The developers may be able to stop one way of cheating but there will be others and there will always be people doing it.

You're off a bit. It's actually 12-21-12 I remeber this because it's my mother's birthday and we kid her about it

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick google will show what he's talking about, more or less.

Even though I disagree that it will destroy the game somehow. If it reaches a point where it's as rampant as the OP suggests I'll reassess my opinion on the matter but as it is, it's like any other MMO. Multi-botters who think multi-boxing means multiple scripted toons, UI overlays that automate tasks, geography exploits, etc. They're annoying and certainly for real but it's not something so prevalent that every time you turn around it's right there exploding your face.

The PVP thing, however, I won't speak to since it appears that really has reached some critical mass level of abuse. It doesn't directly affect me personally so I can't really find a reason to complain about it but it seems to be all over the boards and leaking into general chats in the game itself, too.

Eh. Hopefully they'll address these things as they can get to them.

You guys questioning whether there is cheating or not have got to be PVEers. The cheats are very obvious and very well known to anyone who PVPs a decent amount. You can plainly see the speed hack in huttball, it couldn't be more obvious. I've seen the others too.

I'm not saying it happens every match, it doesn't even happen in most matches. But I definitely see it every night given a few hours of PVP.

You complain about cheating without even defining what took place.

This.

The butthurt is obviously strong with the OP. I'm guessing he has been the victum of this perceived 'cheating'. He says not to bother mentioning that there's no cheating or little cheating but I must be naive, I've never seen any. Exploits? A few. Cheating.....haven't seen it.

You do realize that it sounds like you lost a pvp match and threw a child's temper tantrum and screamed "CHEATER" and your computer screen right?? Now, to sound like you actually have something to complain about... please post what happened so bioware will know if whether or not the person actually cheated or you just threw a tempter tantrum.

For me to say what YOUR post sounded like, would probably warrant a warning from the mods.

Why do you attack people like this? Just because he doesn't give details doesn't mean it doesn't exist... yesh...

I somewhat agree with the OP. There are "issues" that need not be discussed openly on the forums, that need priority attention from the developers... major stuff. Really.

And with good reason. I have no intention of debating back and forth over whether or not this is cheating or that is cheating with forum dwellers. Nor do I intend to point out to cheaters what cheats are the most evident.

My post says what it means: There is rampant cheating, it must be fixed or the game will die.

Oh. In that case, I will dismiss this as "someone beat me in pvp/pve and I think they cheated because beating me is impossible" thread and move on.

Thanks for that.

As I said, I want them to completely rebuild the engine from the ground up, and get rid of this current tragedy.

I really dont want the second MMO with my favourite IP of all time to get wrecked by clueless developers attempting to band aid a gun shot wound. Tear it down guys, start over....

Good luck with that.

Exploits? A few. Cheating.....haven't seen it.

I've seen all sorts of cheating. But then again, I'm not the OP, so I don't know what they are talking about.

One example in Huttball is a large guild floods it with multiple groups joining at the same time. If they have may be a dozen four-man groups queuing up, they will most likely get four of those groups in the same match, against each other. So to get their dailies and weeklies done they just alternate wins. Now, if only three groups get into a match, this would be a problem since it would completely hose the chances of winning for the stragglers who happen to get pulled into that match. This is supposed to be addressed by Bioware when they make the dailies/weeklies not dependent on wins.

Another example is area PvP like Illum. There's nothing stopping a large guild from getting players on both sides to report on enemy sizes/locations. And there's nothing stopping both sides from "trading kills" to grind for dailies, weeklies, and overall valor points. I've done the "trading kills" myself from time to time (along with regular, real PvP in Illum), because the devs have condoned it.

And that doesn't even begin to cover all of the exploits that appear from time to time, such as getting extra players on your team in warzone matches, or the reduced/uninterpretable or untargetable cooldowns in Voidstar. As for direct hacks, we've probably all see the no heat exploits, etc. And remember the Illum turret fiasco?

Granted, the times I've actually witnessed cheating is low compared to how much PvP I've done, but I have seen it first hand, multiple times. I've been the victim of it many times. But I don't go post on the forums when I see it. I usually just wait for the next group of PvP players to queue or take a break from Illum until it dissipates. And that will vary for whatever server you're on.

But fact is, cheating and exploits are in TOR. The exploits come and go, but cheating will always continue. EA/Bioware really needs to get on ball with this and go one way or another. Either they need to say it's free-for-all, do whatever you like, or roll cheating into their exploit policies and do something about it. So far I've seen them do nothing about gray-areas of cheating as I've highlighted above.

Edited by cipher_nemo

teleport hacks / speed hacks / chest farming / space combat bots / pvp bots / gcd hacks...

All of these exist and a few others I am not willing to talk about.

The teleport one is the most annoying, at least the speed can be countered somewhat but I've wasted a lot of good cooldowns on the teleport. The bots will make the pvers rage as much as pvpers soon enough.

Then report the cheat! I recommend they open a support ticket and report the player, the location (be specific, planet, area, mission (PVE or PVP), and approx time it occurred as well as a description of what you witnessed.

Without that information the Devs will not know what occurred and they will not be able to track down and clamp the exploit.

If you have reported it hopefully you were specific and hopefully they are working on it. I am not making this post to be critical of the OP. I would recommend to anyone that sees obvious exploits being used to report them and BE SPECIFIC! Without the specificity they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Cheating is rampant in this game. Some people see it every Warzone and every trip to Ilum. There are guilds which many people identify as cheat guilds on every server.

Here's how that affects you:

So you're good at PvP/PvE? No one believes you. In a game riddled with cheating other players will just assume you cheat no matter how good you are or how much time you put into it.

When it will end:

This is easy to say actually. It will end when either the devs fix it or the players get tired of it and go elsewhere. Either way, one of these two WILL occur very very soon.

We can only hope that before the devs try adding anything else to the game that they fix the game breaking issues first. If not, we'll all see each other again when this game is forced to go free to play in order to stay afloat.

P.S. Please don't bother posting that there is no cheating or not much cheating, you'll be wasting your time.

ur server sux man sorry, no cheating guilds on mine (believe it or not) but yea i know what ur talking bout and it does exist.

Then report the cheat! I recommend they open a support ticket and report the player, the location (be specific, planet, area, mission (PVE or PVP), and approx time it occurred as well as a description of what you witnessed.

Without that information the Devs will not know what occurred and they will not be able to track down and clamp the exploit.

I report them all the time. But chances are, hundreds of people are reporting the same thing. Not sure how fast things are getting fixed by Bioware, but the cheating/exploit problems are still here. Some get fixed, new ones emerge, and cheating continues.

I've been frustrated with this for quite some time.

I've opened a number of threads on this topic in the PVP forums. People complaining about no details, need to know. If you give any details in these threads, Bioware deletes the thread.

(i've had two deleted now, that hit over 500 posts, with 10,000 views in less then 20 minutes, only to have them deleted)

the message i get on why it was deleted. "it is biowares policy that they deleted threads talking about hacks, as the topic brings the issues to the general populations attention, thus encouraging the behavior"

So bioware just deletes anything to do with it, hiding it hoping it goes away. Its more prevelant than you may even realize. go educate yourself. do a simple google search, and look at all the hacks out there.

then when you are wondering why you almost have that guy dead, and he immediatly heals himself for 18k hit points, or just disappears, or zooms away right out of sight in a blink of the eye you may realize... oh crap, that guy is a cheater.

i report people daily as do many people in our guild. We get the stock response from the automated droid that says we take this very seriously and will investigate.

but nothing changes. I think it would really help if bioware would come out and say loudly and clearly they are aware of the problem. that they are doing something about it. make it easier to report it. (currently if you try to report it during a wz, your kicked from the match because your not moving)

I'd like to see them list: Player "x", server "x" banned, "list hack/cheat/exploit"

start publicly listing all the banned players, and maybe people would think twice about hacking/cheating.

ignoring it. hiding it, doing it behind closed doors if they are doing anything about it, just makes these hackers think.. "hey, people report it, but we never hear anything being done about it... i might as well do it"

But on that note, if this thread starts to get any attention, it will just be one of the many hack threads deleted.