No Social Points for PVP? why?

Rootez

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe as the system is right now:

Social points= doing PvE quests with people.

Valor points= doing PvP operations with people.

It's a seperate system each designed to award for only one type of gameplay. Should they award Valor points to those who do regular quests?

Not entirely correct...

Ops, which are PvE, don't award Social points either...so they're not from "PvE quests"...they're directly tied to DIALOG choices.

Lemme ask...

Is this a matter of just a poorly worded ranking system?

If these were simply "dialog points", people would be far more understanding of why they don't receive them in Ops or PvP. However, by calling them "Social points", Bioware appears as though they don't view PvP or Ops as "Social" activities.

My question shouldn't be that difficult as it's just asking an opinion, of which, can't be wrong once given.

That's the issue...you're hijacking this thread to push your own agenda. YOUR question can be asked in your own thread. This debate is on Social Points.

That's the issue...you're hijacking this thread to push your own agenda. YOUR question can be asked in your own thread. This debate is on Social Points.

I'm not attempting to hijack it as I felt it was within the topic category. Also, I don't like contributing to the plethora of threads that are created every minute.

I didn't realize such a simple question would involve such a dance around in avoiding answering.

Perhaps I will create it's own thread and we'll see if you add to it since it won't be "hijacking" a related topic.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

I really don't think his argument is off-topic. He's trying to point out that PVP doesn't get social points because PVP and PVE are different. He's simply making the argument from the point that "They're different. If you want to make PVP have the same perks as PVE, then are you willing to accept that you have to take the downsides as well?"

Perfect answer. They are two different things.

No it's not. Warzone commendations are understandably given for completing "Warzones". "Social points" imply they should be awarded for doing "social" activities - which both Ops and PvP are.

If they were called "Flashpoint Points" or "Dialog Points", it would be much more understandable.

I really think it's just a matter of a misleading name.

If these were simply "dialog points", people would be far more understanding of why they don't receive them in Ops or PvP. However, by calling them "Social points", Bioware appears as though they don't view PvP or Ops as "Social" activities.

It seems like you are just mad about the name of the point system. On another note all of the ranking systems in this game have a problem... valor is just a ranking of how much time you can AFK in front of the rep base... they need RATED PvP, and I agree that the social pt system should be changed but they should change it to a PvE point system like valor.

EDIT- "No it's not. Warzone commendations are understandably given for completing "Warzones". "Social points" imply they should be awarded for doing "social" activities - which both Ops and PvP are.

If they were called "Flashpoint Points" or "Dialog Points", it would be much more understandable.

I really think it's just a matter of a misleading name."

- Another post from TUX...

Still sounds like you are QQing about a name of a ranking system... why don't you go and do something useful and advocate a better valor system not some useless social pt system.

ANd its much better to compare Valor and Social pts IMO

Edited by eternalife

No it's not. Warzone commendations are understandably given for completing "Warzones". "Social points" imply they should be awarded for doing "social" activities - which both Ops and PvP are.

I really think it's just a matter of a misleading name.

So basically you're splitting hairs over what they called it. Please realize that you're putting yourself in the same category as the people that think they should get social points for sitting around talking in general chat. PVP gets valor points, PVE gets social points. The "why" is because the points are given for different mechanics, the social points being dialogue while in a group.

For whatever reason BW decided to call the points awarded for character dialogue in a group "social points". It is what it is. Unless they completely ditch the system for something new then the only way to get social points in a warzone (or an ops group) is by adding character dialogue to them. Seriously, are people really this obtuse IRL?

It seems like you are just mad about the name of the point system. On another note all of the ranking systems in this game have a problem... valor is just a ranking of how much time you can AFK in front of the rep base... they need RATED PvP, and I agree that the social pt system should be changed but they should change it to a PvE point system like valor.

EDIT- "No it's not. Warzone commendations are understandably given for completing "Warzones". "Social points" imply they should be awarded for doing "social" activities - which both Ops and PvP are.

I really think it's just a matter of a misleading name."

- Another post from TUX...

Still sounds like you are QQing about a name of a ranking system... why don't you go and do something useful and advocate a better valor system not some useless social pt system.

ANd its much better to compare Valor and Social pts IMO

I'm not mad at all. I was engaging in the discussion of why Social Points aren't awarded for PvP or Ops.

I'm also not "QQing" about anything, but please explain to me why you think "I" should advocate for a better Valor system? I haven't mentioned Valor until now.

For whatever reason BW decided to call the points awarded for character dialogue in a group "social points". It is what it is. Unless they completely ditch the system for something new then the only way to get social points in a warzone (or an ops group) is by adding character dialogue to them. Seriously, are people really this obtuse IRL?

And for whatever reason, the OP viewed Social Points as something he should receive for doing SOCIAL activities...something I can sympathize with and understand because I DO feel the name is quite misleading.

I'm pleased there are separate PvE and PvP ranking systems and rewards, there SHOULD be. I just dislike the name.

And you're mistake about how they could be added - please see my earlier post if interested.

I'm also not "QQing" about anything, but please explain to me why you think "I" should advocate for a better Valor system? I haven't mentioned Valor until now.

I think you should advocate that because it would be a better addition to PvP and a better use of your time, and before you go saying "Well why don't you do it?" i'll answer it to save a post... it's because i PvE mostly.

The whole system is stupid. You can group almost 24/7 in warzones, ops, 2-4 heoric, other peoples story, etc. and barely get any credit for it.

It is reduced to running noobs through Black Talon for a couple days just to get a not very practical appearance item. Your not getting any useful purple gear from social level so it shouldn't be compared to valor level.

IMO social level should be tied to experienced/valor gained while grouped, not the conversation rolls.

And for whatever reason, the OP viewed Social Points as something he should receive for doing SOCIAL activities...something I can sympathize with and understand because I DO feel the name is quite misleading.

I'm pleased there are separate PvE and PvP ranking systems and rewards, there SHOULD be. I just dislike the name.

And you're mistake about how they could be added - please see my earlier post if interested.

The suggestion you put in your earlier post would require a complete re-work of the social points system. As for not liking the name "social points": it's called social points because the rewards that the points open up are completely social with no benefit whatsoever. They are essentially role-playing sets that you can wear and different-looking speeders that you can buy.

They're granted to people doing quests and flashpoints because that's where you have the dialogue options, which means it's also where you're getting a very, very large amount of story, which tends to be what role-players (and others that like to have pretty outfits to socialize in) focus on.

If you really, honestly want the rewards from social points that bad, do the activities that get them. Wanna know the easiest way? Run lower level characters through the first flashpoint(s). You may even make some new friends. Otherwise, keep in mind that although PVP is social, that does not mean it should grant the additional reward of social points when it already gives valor points. PVP and PVE are different, and will likely remain so.

Edited by Llaera

same reason i dont get warzone commendations for running a flashpoint

+1

and why would a "pvp-er" want social points for ? for the "rp/pve-gear" ?

Social points = pve

Warzone commendations = pvp

If you really want to have social points (for reasons obviously unknown since social points dont give anything for pvp-ers), do pve.

The suggestion you put in your earlier post would require a complete re-work of the social points system. As for not liking the name "social points": it's called social points because the rewards that the points open up are completely social with no benefit whatsoever. They are essentially role-playing sets that you can wear and different-looking speeders that you can buy.

They're granted to people doing quests and flashpoints because that's where you have the dialogue options, which means it's also where you're getting a very, very large amount of story, which tends to be what role-players (and others that like to have pretty outfits to socialize in) focus on.

If you really, honestly want the rewards from social points that bad, do the activities that get them. Wanna know the easiest way? Run lower level characters through the first flashpoint(s). You may even make some new friends. Otherwise, keep in mind that although PVP is social, that does not mean it should grant the additional reward of social points when it already gives valor points. PVP and PVE are different, and will likely remain so.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm social rank 5, I have all the social points I need and I don't want or need any rewards from it. This isn't about something "I" want, if it were, I would have started a thread. Like you, I am simply commenting on the topic of the OP.

i have got to know quite a few people in warzones

THere tends to be 1 minute 43 before each round if you join the zone early enough and as long as i want to chat when the warzone ends > unless i choose to hit the exit warzone button.

I do think its a social activity and i have made in game friends or begun to know them because of warzones. So all the people being sarcastic about this post need to think long and hard about their dismissal of this thread. On my server Corellians run there are many well known "faces" or "regulars" in PVP and warzones and of course people converse and jibe each other when respawning and waiting to rejoin. The game is as fun as you make it.

Agreed. Since there is no population on my server (:p), there is no grouping for heroic quests or FPs. Warzones are the only time in game where I have actually spent any time with other players. I wouldnt say I have made friends with some, but after playing with the same group of players over time, you do tend to be more social with them.

I have seen people grouping and flying through low level flash points just to get social points too, with no interest in being "social."

This is the only correct answer to OP's question so far.

• 3 weeks later...
PvP ruins MMOs, always has, always will, and this thread is a perfect example of why. Asking for something you can't have without engaging in PvE.

You know you're talking absolute crap, right ?

Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. :rolleyes: