Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

I also play on Helm of Graush, and I've noticed it. Long queues, half as many people on during peak hours, etc. It's killing PvP too. I mostly pug, didn't really come into the game with many of my friends and I'm the only one who has hit 50 so far. Now when I join games we only win about 20% of the time because the majority of people playing are the hardcore PvP guilds and its a constant nightmare of getting repeatedly rolled by premades.

Kinda sad really, i do enjoy this game, and have always been into star wars stuff, but its pretty obvious that the game is declining already. Hopefully ranked PvP and new wz's will improve things a little.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90 players in my guild at peak back in January. We are on a good, solid server. Averaged 25-30 players on any given night / moment. Experienced great PVE / PVP progression.

Now we're lucky to have 8 on at any given time. This game is going downhill fast....if you are too blind, lazy, or stupid to see that, you have more problems than SWTOR's population loss.

There are simply too many potential amazing games on the horizon. Tera and Gw2. Played Tera's CB2, while not perfect, was thoroughly impressed. Finally played an mmo with a fantastic interface and smoooth, responsive combat system,a dn fantastic graphics and animations post WoW.

Imagine that.

Edited by Tooslick

I believe that it is fair to compare SWTOR to WoW today not WoW's launch. You may ask why but the one reason is pretty clear: WOW has been out for 7 years you have 7 years of data you could look at and easily see what WoW did right and wrong and build off that.

1. The fact that SWTOR engine sucks is a huge issues as to why SW is dying, the fact that high end computers have fps is a ridiculous.

2. The population imbalance is another issues, its not fun running around as a Republic player in Ilum when its 40v10 in favor of Empire. Also the box camping issue on Ilum is just stupid. Now there isn't much you can do about this but atleast come up with some creative ways to make people wanna play both.

3. Huttball is just stupid. When 80% of the WZ I play are huttball I get bored and decided to walk away from my computer to play xbox. Now this is also an issue with the population imbalance but you could easily make the other WZ same faction fights. It might not fit the story but atleast I'm not stuck playing Huttball all the time.

4. The fact that WZ matches start with unbalanced teams is stupid. Either make it so that its 6v6 or wait till it can be full, its not fun when its 6v8.

5. You got rid of Assassins hybrid specs but you allow Sorc to keep their hybrid spec is a huge oversight, why where assassins penalized for hybrid specs but Sorcs aren't. Also if you noticed WoW got rid of hybrid specs because they were sick of this problem.

6. Look at what WoW did with its LFG tool it made it easier to find people and you could just hop on do a dungeon instantly (now dps ques are long but they made the change to that bag so more tanks and healers would que). Also WoW has the cross server pvp matches so I don't have to wait forever to play a pvp match.

7. All the exploits that are in SWTOR is ridiculous.

I feel it is fair to compare WoW of 2012 to Swtor of 2012 because Swtor had the advantage of studying all the stuff that WoW did right and wrong and could have easily learned from it. It doesn't seem as if they did though, you need to learn from the past to make things better.

But you also can't just open a store with 7 years of experience, goods, etc... it doesn't work that way. A business/MMO cannot come out the gate with years of goods/content/customers, etc...

90% of restaurants fail within the first year. Do you know what they call this? A barrier to entry.

I'm sure the statistic is almost identical to MMOs. Bioware tried to overcome the barrier to entry by burning their budget on the story portion of the game. They will soon realize that was a foolish endeavor.

Pretty much the same subscription curve DAoC and Warhammer had. Steady downward trend from the instant of release.

DAoC, Warhammer, Swtor.....there seems to be a pattern emerging here

Uhm, actually Daoc had 100k at release, then grew to 250k and was with one major dip very stable at 250k for 2.5 years... and then came toa ^^

but no steady downward trend at all.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

I still enjoy the game at times. I noticed throughout the week last week that only a few of my guildies are logged on at a time. I believe we have some 108 members give or take.

There are obvious reasons why this is happening. People in this thread have already mentioned them. Me personally, I would definitely consider a different game. PvP in this game just sucks. Getting gear is extremely easy. Ilum is just a horrible design. The Imperial to Republic ratio is ridiculous.

I once heard a saying from an entrepreneur that said this, "Business is easy. You only need to offer better services at lower prices." Bioware must listen to the community. I love the Star Wars brand, but this game is embarrassing at times. I only speak for PvP. Who enjoys being stunned and CC'd so much? Is that a fun aspect for people? How many videos are there of certain classes spamming 1 button and doing ridiculous amounts of damage?

This ship is sadly sinking. I had fun while I was lvling, but once I hit 50 it became frustrating. They got the lvling part right, but what about the end game? I will never roll an alt so I don't know what direction I'm heading in. For me stay there will need to be some serious changes in PvP. The biggest being the knockbacks and stuns. It's too bad, but oh well.

The idea of a nice, smooth, well designed Star Wars MMO was too good to be true. Someone will get it right some day.

I still enjoy the game at times. I noticed throughout the week last week that only a few of my guildies are logged on at a time. I believe we have some 108 members give or take.

There are obvious reasons why this is happening. People in this thread have already mentioned them. Me personally, I would definitely consider a different game. PvP in this game just sucks. Getting gear is extremely easy. Ilum is just a horrible design. The Imperial to Republic ratio is ridiculous.

I once heard a saying from an entrepreneur that said this, "Business is easy. You only need to offer better services at lower prices." Bioware must listen to the community. I love the Star Wars brand, but this game is embarrassing at times. I only speak for PvP. Who enjoys being stunned and CC'd so much? Is that a fun aspect for people? How many videos are there of certain classes spamming 1 button and doing ridiculous amounts of damage?

This ship is sadly sinking. I had fun while I was lvling, but once I hit 50 it became frustrating. They got the lvling part right, but what about the end game? I will never roll an alt so I don't know what direction I'm heading in. For me stay there will need to be some serious changes in PvP. The biggest being the knockbacks and stuns. It's too bad, but oh well.

The idea of a nice, smooth, well designed Star Wars MMO was too good to be true. Someone will get it right some day.

The Endgame PvE is a joke too.

I think it goes beyond TOR dying, I think P2P MMOs are dying. There are too many great and good games the cost $50-60 that let you play them as long as you want, most that have free online game play or DLC that make you keep playing them.

Paying $60 for a game and then $15 a month to continue to do the same things day in and day out, that is dying.

90 players in my guild at peak back in January. We are on a good, solid server. Averaged 25-30 players on any given night / moment. Experienced great PVE / PVP progression.

Now we're lucky to have 8 on at any given time. This game is going downhill fast....if you are too blind, lazy, or stupid to see that, you have more problems than SWTOR's population loss.

There are simply too many potential amazing games on the horizon. Tera and Gw2. Played Tera's CB2, while not perfect, was thoroughly impressed. Finally played an mmo with a fantastic interface and smoooth, responsive combat system,a dn fantastic graphics and animations post WoW.

Imagine that.

You played tera and praise it? rofl um ok, and GW2? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said

I believe that it is fair to compare SWTOR to WoW today not WoW's launch. You may ask why but the one reason is pretty clear: WOW has been out for 7 years you have 7 years of data you could look at and easily see what WoW did right and wrong and build off that.

1. The fact that SWTOR engine sucks is a huge issues as to why SW is dying, the fact that high end computers have fps is a ridiculous.

2. The population imbalance is another issues, its not fun running around as a Republic player in Ilum when its 40v10 in favor of Empire. Also the box camping issue on Ilum is just stupid. Now there isn't much you can do about this but atleast come up with some creative ways to make people wanna play both.

3. Huttball is just stupid. When 80% of the WZ I play are huttball I get bored and decided to walk away from my computer to play xbox. Now this is also an issue with the population imbalance but you could easily make the other WZ same faction fights. It might not fit the story but atleast I'm not stuck playing Huttball all the time.

4. The fact that WZ matches start with unbalanced teams is stupid. Either make it so that its 6v6 or wait till it can be full, its not fun when its 6v8.

5. You got rid of Assassins hybrid specs but you allow Sorc to keep their hybrid spec is a huge oversight, why where assassins penalized for hybrid specs but Sorcs aren't. Also if you noticed WoW got rid of hybrid specs because they were sick of this problem.

6. Look at what WoW did with its LFG tool it made it easier to find people and you could just hop on do a dungeon instantly (now dps ques are long but they made the change to that bag so more tanks and healers would que). Also WoW has the cross server pvp matches so I don't have to wait forever to play a pvp match.

7. All the exploits that are in SWTOR is ridiculous.

I feel it is fair to compare WoW of 2012 to Swtor of 2012 because Swtor had the advantage of studying all the stuff that WoW did right and wrong and could have easily learned from it. It doesn't seem as if they did though, you need to learn from the past to make things better.

I have to agree. It is as if they just look what WoW is bad (poor immersion, repeated pve leveling content and etc) and forgot to see what they did that was awesome.

The lack of a good LFG system, having WoW as example, is hard to swallow.

Cross-realm PvP solves so many problems, that is absurd not to expect it nowadays.

I understand that thinking 'The game is only 2 months old, give it a break' may make some people 'forget' the bugs, exploits and unbalances (childish as animations! >_<) , but they should have saw that other MMOs have raised the bar. They can't bring a game to the market expecting success if the product is a result of 2 year old standards. If SWTOR was released in 2009-~2010, it would have rocked the foundations of the gaming industry, but today, it is just a good MMO with too many problems to solve.

I love the game, I probably will be one of the 500k people some are foreseeing, probably will be one of the 100k if it comes to that, but what I really really wish, is to be one of the 5000k next year playing some Space Combat Operation. :D

Edited by EdAraujo

I think it goes beyond TOR dying, I think P2P MMOs are dying. There are too many great and good games the cost $50-60 that let you play them as long as you want, most that have free online game play or DLC that make you keep playing them.

Paying $60 for a game and then $15 a month to continue to do the same things day in and day out, that is dying.

oh? name a great game other than a FPS thats 60 and free? GW blows, GW2 blows harder, D3 i could see being 1 but um thats it...

I think MMORPGs in general are dying. TOR has shown us that even with a huge budget and time, you end up with pretty much the same product we've already played multiple times before. You can dress it up with some entertaining story to distract you, but I think people are done with the whole questing and raiding RPG grind model.

They want something different.

Edited by EternalFinality

Ha great logic as to why those games are inferior. Good attempt at trolling but you might want to brush up on your strategy.

There was no attempt cupcake, pure logic/facts, reading reviews must be hard these days...

Also the fact of playing the betas, but hey thats only most everyone, not EVERYONE so theres hope? GL to them but there garbage in my eyes and playing them also...

There was no attempt cupcake, pure logic/facts, reading reviews must be hard these days...

Also the fact of playing the betas, but hey thats only most everyone, not EVERYONE so theres hope? GL to them but there garbage in my eyes and playing them also...

Ha too bad GW2 hasn't got a single bad review derp. You're a terrible troll. Also, that's not logic. Saying "it sucks" is not logic or fact. You either need a quick brain transplant or you're a troll.

Ha too bad GW2 hasn't got a single bad review derp. You're a terrible troll. Also, that's not logic. Saying "it sucks" is not logic or fact. You either need a quick brain transplant or you're a troll.

I heard if you read them with your eyes open it gives you more details on there reviews other than going DERP NO BAD, great logic, truely impressed! Another ignorant child for the list also...

Edited by mordredz

I've read lots of GW2 reviews. I didn't care for the first game much, but I've dug through countless from closed beta previews and have yet to find a negative one (leaving IGN, Gamespot out for obvious reasons.. though theirs are good too).. Kill Ten Rats, Ten Ton Hammer, GameInformer, Gamebreaker.tv, TapRepeatedly, MMORPG.com, Massively, PC Gamer, Kotaku.......... not a negative review yet...

maybe you can point me in the direction? (and not some 12 year old's blog) .. give me a link, I'll read it. :)

Edited by Bigaus

I heard if you read them with your eyes open it gives you more details on there reviews other than going DERP NO BAD, great logic, truely impressed! Another ignorant child for the list also...

Yup you're a troll. By all means link a bad review. For every bad one I can link at least 10 good ones. Sorry your game is dying kid but that's the way it goes.

Not on Shien. Ironically we are an RP server, but we have probably the most balance/best pvp out of any other realms with a great community and the Q's are getting more frequent at end game 50 warzones. An example of how good Shien is would be this thread :)

If you are really having so many difficulties on your realm come join Shien! Its RP-PVE, but amazing PVP/Community, and very alive.

Edited by Kayse

Going good to me, not sure what timezone/server timezone your in, and lets not forget its still new, so the up and down process which is always going on, is going to be more noticeable, but we dont know if they're gaining more than losing. IMO i'd say they are definetly gaining, even though the forums are full of QQer's who come on here to rage(lets face it, most of these threads would not have been made if people would have just taken some time to defuse after they got pissed off at something in the game). Meanwhile the other 90% which consists of non-haters is-guess what?-enjoying the game. I don't know why I come on the forums to show QQer's the error of their ways..