Warzone Quitters Suggestion

myrrhbear

I went to the Q&A blog to find something else, and I found this.... So something will be done in the next update:

Gladoss, titdiscus, Leoran: What do you plan to against Warzones’ AFK, more particularly about players who leave Warzones ? Will there be sanctions for this type of behavior?

Gabe Amatangelo: It is not sanctioned behavior. In Game Update 1.2 we will be making changes to the Warzone rewards system, which will de-incentivize this type of behavior. This will include the removal of the interim bag/quest system, the introduction of the direct purchase of gear from Warzone and Ranked Warzone commendations, 14 new objective-based medals and participation scaling the rewards. Additionally, players will have the option to vote kick idlers. Kicked players will not be able to re-queue for several minutes.

Although I am against the Vote/Kick idea. The maturity level of the players of this game should indicate that they are not responsible enough for this kind of power.

Edited by Appletaz

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally quit warzones for one of three reasons.

1. Huttball: Unless I am Rotworm. Huttball is simply unenjoyable as the Imperials have had so much practice at it, and they generally crush Republic. But if it's Rep vs. Rep Huttball then the odds are evened out that both sides will be terrible.

2. 10,980 HP. aka Sub-13k HP 50s. When I hit 50 on my alt, I had 6 Champion bags ready, two 580 wz comms weapons, and 7 purple mods, 6 purple enhancements, and the rest blue 49 level armoring mods, etc. I was sitting at 240 expertise and at 13.9k HP unbuffed in my first warzone at level 50. I even hit 300k dmg on my very first warzone and zero deaths in a Huttball as a Sc no less.

This is only when I solo queue, as I don't enjoy carrying people who can't even carry themselves.

I don't quit when I'm in my own premade even if I'm losing, because either we have the mental capacity to turn things around, or we make a game out of it on vent and try to kill Snipers.

There are several types of players right now in wz. The fresh 50 trying to get geared where a win/loss doesn't matter so much because in the end you get valor/comms just the same and you can hope you get carried to a few wins to finish your daily/weekly amidst the grind.

Then there are the semi geared or champ geared but not quite BMs who will benefit from medal farming and play the game out whilst farming kills/heals/guard for more valor. Bein on the receiving end of this is obviously not fun but there are a lot of this type of player and so this happens quite a bit.

Finally, there is the BM who logs on to finish daily/weekly at an off chance of getting a BM comm. The objective is to win quickly regardless of medals/valor/comms.

I can sympathize with all three because I was each type of player. As a BM, there is no incentive to stay in a game a majority of new players because it will not help complete the daily (the only incentivized reason to wz). You can argue teamwork and commaraderie but at the end of the day if you solo queue, you don't know the other players and do not owe them anything just because you rolled the same faction. Ultimately it is about what stage a player is at in their progression and how they want to spend their time.

I imagine that the new BM comm system being introduced soon will incentive BMs to participate in wz more regularly. The forum qq will then go back to more omg X class is OP! Omg create a separate bracket for BMs!

So to the op, just play your own game as you would and let others do the same. It is a design flaw and players will use their time in ways that are most advantageous to their own progression.

This argument is void really, they are probably going to add a deserter buff to people that leave wz's and they wont be able to queue again for another 15 minutes. That will stop people jumping out of the wz just to stand around the fleet. it will encourage people to stay for the full duration.

Lol the queues are already 15 min plus during the times that I play. But like others have said. People will just give up and not fight if they are punnished for leaving. So then you find a way to punnish those people too. The logical setp would be to have a vote/kick with the penalty applied if you are kicked. Then you have people that are doing what they can to look like they are fighting but really not doing anything so the match can be over faster. What happens when you have 6 guys sitting at one cap in civil war? Do you think you will get a majority of those people to kick themselves?

What people really want is to make the people that quit, not quit and keep fighting. Currently, if you have maxed valor and need to finish your daily/weekly quests, you have no real incentive to continue once the game will clearly be a loss. Granted there are those that quit after 1 score in huttball or the second the other team gets 2 caps in civil war and frankly you are better off without those people on your team IMHO. If you want someone to do something, the carrot works better than the stick.

Better matchmaking and cross server warzones will fix most issues.

If there were two ways to play Warzones - both ranked and un-ranked - I hope both of these find a solution to prevent / dissuade people from quitting on their teammates.

It's very common to see 1 or 2 people quit a match fairly early on. If you were stuck with 7 vs. 8 to begin with, and then 2 more people quit (a common scenario), you are now 5 vs. 8 and it's just brutality for those that didn't quit.

I've also seen tons of matches where it started off looking like our team was going to lose, but we kept doing our best, and after a minute our 8th person arrived, and we pulled a comeback, and it was great! When the quitters drop though it wrecks the game for those left behind.

The button that allows individual players to leave needs to be removed. It just begs players to drop all the time whenever they don't like how it's going, and it ruins the game for everyone else.

I've played MMOs where I don't recall it being possible to quit on your teammates mid way and they were definitely much more fun because of it. Everyone knows that when they join a match they are there until the finish, so they do their best.

People who intentionally ruin the match for everyone else should be /reported.

The alternative is to keep a Leave button, but the person who quits and deserts their teammates loses the same amount of Valor they would get if they'd won a match, making it much more worthwhile to stay and do their best to win.

Keep in mind that if you just keep doing your best for the remaining minutes of a match you are rewarded, even when you lose, with lots of Valor, money, XP, commendations etc... And on top of that your personal effort is reflected in medals and awards, which directly equals more reward as well. It's just the match is much more fun when you at least have equal numbers and your teammates don't quit and run away in the middle.

You can't stop people whining and even raging about being in a match that's losing, but when you do PvP who have to know when you go in, you will do your best to the end, and you may win and may lose, and if the game's balanced, about half of each. That's the way it goes.

-If someone doesn't have the ethics to stick around and quits early, don't want him on my team anyway; while if it be that my whole team just wreaks, then my leaving will do no one any harm. ;)

-If any changes were to be made to the game, then I would suggest a PVP training/proving ground story. In order to play PVP the player must play the instructional map the game provides to teach how to play, proper ethics, and how to gear, etc. :D

My rebuttal to this is that it is equally senseless to add a penalty for people leaving no matter how you try to dress it up. People who do not wish to be there will more than likely choose to A) Help the other team win. B) Hide. C) Go off to the sides and farm stragglers for medals. How is this any less detrimental to your team? One could argue that it harms the team even more with them staying since there would be a chance that a player could come in and try to keep winning and potentially change the course of the fight. But since the people leaving don't share your outlook on WZ's you feel you need to selfishly punish them for it.

This whole topic is foolish for the simple fact that you're focusing on the symptoms rather than the cause. So why are people leaving? In my opinion its because A) They have a limited time to play and are trying to finish the daily. B) Fighting against a premade that is destroying them. C) There is no real incentive to stay(even with the piddly amount of creds and commendations) And I'm sure there are more.

Or D) I hate Huttball and when it queues me for it, I will drop from it before it starts.

-If someone doesn't have the ethics to stick around and quits early, don't want him on my team anyway; while if it be that my whole team just wreaks, then my leaving will do no one any harm. ;)

-If any changes were to be made to the game, then I would suggest a PVP training/proving ground story. In order to play PVP the player must play the instructional map the game provides to teach how to play, proper ethics, and how to gear, etc. :D

lol ethics

It's a computer game. One that they are not going to penalize players for leaving aside from a very minor time out. They might try to provide incentives to stay, but don't expect to see someone lose valor because they leave. This impacts everyone from the folks who bail 1 min in if it looks bad to those who have family or real life concerns that need to go. They certainly aren't going to implement a pvp training camp people have to pass through to learn ethics that don't actually apply to video games. Let it go.

Not punishing, but rewarding the losing side for their efforts on the fighting and staying until the end.

Make 2 or 3 losses count as 1 win.

Make the damage dealt and the time spent on Illum worth something, in terms of valor and dailys.

Make the guy actually care to stay rather than to fly away.

And make a cooldown after someone quits a warzone, lets say, 8 minutes, so he cant rejoin afterwards.

Taking away things from ppl who, as bad as it seems, arent having fun or being rewarded properly, is bad for both sides and this will cause trouble in the future (also in terms of subscribes).

Losing valor will not fix the issue. There are players in the 10-49 bracket that don't want to PVP in 50s so losing valor won't deter. A couple suggestions:

There could be a cool down on re-entering WZs for early quitters. The solution will hurt some legit players but would lessen the frequency of quitters entering WZs.

Another option would be to give players a three strikes and you're out for the day. This might hurt people who are having connections issues but if you're consistently dropping from WZs then you're consistently hurting teammates.

Good point about people who don't care about the Valor. Also it could be a problem for people with BM gear who suddenly can't wear it : P

A 15 min delay before you can re-queue would not work because people who refuse to remain in a match that's losing will just drop anyhow and wait for the next one. 15 in an MMO is not a long time. Also, for people who get disconnected it will mess them up.

The simplest thing may just be to get rid of the /Leave button. It entices quitters to drop. Just get rid of it. If someone has an emergency IRL and needs to leave, they can shut the game or whatever. Otherwise a button begging people to quit and spoil the match for everyone else is senseless.

Edited by myrrhbear

The idea for the AFK kicker, if it is implemented without any oversight (ie. a check to see if the targetted player is actually doing anything such as a check), will be completely and utterly abused. If there is anything we've learned from SWTOR so far, is that this is true (case in point: the bug which allowed enemy players into the opposing faction's spawn in 1.1 that was severe enough that the PvP area needed to be locked down).

I completely disagree that if you know for certain you can't win it's wrong to leave just because your team will get massacred more. The goal is to win, not to get through a loss with less massacre. So who cares if because I leave they die three seconds faster than they would have if I'd been in there dying with them? That's a silly reason to stick around.

Hopefully this changes. I have heard that there is a dev post or a patch note somewhere saying they are removing the win requirement for weeklies and dailies. If that is truly in an upcoming update, maybe that'll make it worth your while to stay for a whole match even on a loss since you still get rewarded as though you won. If not, well I will happily take a more team-friendly player over you anyway ;)

Other things I agree with:

1. Warzones should never, ever start until both teams have full and equal numbers. I have played games in which this was always the case. For those who thought it can't be done for some reason - it can, and is the norm in other games which use queues for pvp sessions.

This. I've never seen a comeback from less than even teams. I've seen it on bad starts (ie. team is spread to thin but regroups and pushes as a team) turn into wins, but never when a team is undermanned. I'm not saying its impossible, it is however an incredibly steep uphill battle.

Good point about people who don't care about the Valor. Also it could be a problem for people with BM gear who suddenly can't wear it : P

A 15 min delay before you can re-queue would not work because people who refuse to remain in a match that's losing will just drop anyhow and wait for the next one. 15 in an MMO is not a long time. Also, for people who get disconnected it will mess them up.

The simplest thing may just be to get rid of the /Leave button. It entices quitters to drop. Just get rid of it. If someone has an emergency IRL and needs to leave, they can shut the game or whatever. Otherwise a button begging people to quit and spoil the match for everyone else is senseless.

Removing the leave button will do nothing but piss me off as a subscriber. When I want to leave, I'll just log out and back in. It'll take ~30 seconds longer but that's prettymuch the extent of it. Regardless, this will never happen so I don't need to get into a huff about it. They will not harshly penalize players from leaving games because there are legitimate reasons to leave games. They need to work on what those legitimate reasons are that they can fix and provide incentives for people who do stick it out. Nothing more. From what Bioware has stated, that's exactly what they're planning on doing. I still don't get why you think being a nazi about ui features will change anything.

a) One suggestion is to have anyone who quits a Warzone before it ends lose a chunk of Valor. After all, it is really un-valorous to abandon your allies to get slaughtered.

Penalizing players is not a solution for poor/lazy game design, you want to reward people for playing. It also unjustly penalizes players that get disconnect from the game, which is already a bad enough since it can happen when you are on the winning side.

b ) Another suggestion might be to have an option to open a vote to drop the session. Maybe it's badly imbalanced, with your team not having full numbers, or their team's in full battlemaster vs. yours with lots of new to 50s... So you open a in-game vote to drop wz, and if you get 70% clicking on Tactical Retreat or what have you, then it removes everyone. I'm not as sure about this suggestion because perhaps people would find a way to exploit this.

This would be extremely exploitable. Also, losing when outmatched only takes a few minutes, and is probably not worth building an entire system around.

1. Warzones should never, ever start until both teams have full and equal numbers. I have played games in which this was always the case. For those who thought it can't be done for some reason - it can, and is the norm in other games which use queues for pvp sessions.

This would be great if the timer to join a wz wasn't a minute long. Games could take upwards of 10 minutes to start simply because people are afk, trying to complete quests, or a hundred other reasons they chose not to hit the join button. This means being trapped in the starting room until both teams completely fill up.

2. The 50 bracket helped somewhat with balance, but within 50 there is a massive disparity of character effectiveness based on gear. There needs to be at least 2 brackets within level 50 based on a calculation of stats.

For an example of an MMO that uses this system, see DCUO. When you look at your character info it shows you which bracket you're in.

The problem with creating an additional bracket is that there are barely enough players to start a wz match during off-peak hours. So having 2 or more brackets will only make things worse. Not everyone can play during the peak hours.

3. The speeder ride for Voidstar when you start on the Defense side is WAY too long.

Completely agree.

4. The resolve function to prevent being CCd overly often is not working consistently. Being CCd excessively is really frustrating.

Completely agree as well. CC is fine, being CC'd by multiple players for the full durations is not.

5. a) Queue times are often extremely long. Perhaps have warzones occur on intermediary servers drawing from people on more than one server

5. b) Or combine a couple lower population servers into one so that it doesn't feel like a ghost town and we can fill queues in reasonable time frames.

I'm sure they are planning cross-server warzones. The only question is if they can get all of these fixes in before losing critical mass.

My Suggestions:

1. Revert back to the single PvP bracket, but adjust the minimum level to 14. Nobody should ever be allowed to play without sprint.

2. Remove the expertise stat. PvP only stats equate to lazy design.

3. Create nearly identical gear paths for PvP and PvE. They should take roughly the same amount of time to farm and be about equal in power level.

4. Create interesting and desirable set bonuses, on equip bonuses, or activated abilities on gear that favor they type of play you earned the reward in.

For example:

General Set Bonus - 10% increase to your rate of resolve gain.

Warrior Set Bonus - Force Push now deals XXX damage to the target if they strike an object/wall.

Sniper Set Bonus - Ambush deals 25% of its damage to any players caught in its path.

The list can go on and on. There is plenty of design space... the devs need to stop being lazy and use it.

Keep in mind that if you just keep doing your best for the remaining minutes of a match you are rewarded, even when you lose, with lots of Valor, money, XP, commendations etc... And on top of that your personal effort is reflected in medals and awards, which directly equals more reward as well. It's just the match is much more fun when you at least have equal numbers and your teammates don't quit and run away in the middle.

either you dont understand the concept of dailies or you dont know how to read. its been stated many times before that valor/money/xp do not get you bm bags. only WINS do

id also like to point out the fact that dailies/weeklies give faster bags than comms do

Edited by Cegenaus

All I do is add the team quitters to my ignore list, if only so that they won't get any HM runs with me on my tank or healer, which if they are only interested in pvp currently does nothing.

My suggestions for a fix.

1) Deserter Debuff ( 15 mins )

2) Fixed Title of " Deserter " for an hr so people know and are warned

3) People who help the opposing team on purpose get a " Moron " title

4) People who afk instead get " Coward " title

5) Anybody on your ignore list will prevent you joining a group with them, if enough people add deserters to ignore they will only have other deserters to group with.

All I do is add the team quitters to my ignore list, if only so that they won't get any HM runs with me on my tank or healer, which if they are only interested in pvp currently does nothing.

5) Anybody on your ignore list will prevent you joining a group with them, if enough people add deserters to ignore they will only have other deserters to group with.

How bout BW spends half the time it would take to do this on fixing the match maker so people stop leaving in the first place.

Would this be acceptable?

Depends on how the match is broken

I've seen people leave because the opposition got the ball and reached our first fire pit.

The remaining 5 of us killed the carrier and walked as a group and scored and we won the match 1 - 0 in the end.

Of course I'm not saying there isn't bugs, I've pushed ball carriers towards the fire only to have them fly behind me instead.

I've been knocked back from the floor up a lvl into fire.

I've seen rep players use hacks to hide underground and attack, but be immune to attacks themselves since they can't be targetted.

I'd sooner something was put in place to prevent hacks first then anything else, but I'd still like the option added to never group with those in my ignore list.

Oh and I still like my title suggestions.

Getting rid of the "leave" button won't keep people from leaving the warzone. If I'm that adamant about bailing, I'll just stay in the safe zone and let the timer boot me out. Or like someone else said, just log out and log back in.

Punishing people for bailing isn't going to keep people from leaving. Fix the underlying problem instead of placing a band-aid on the issue and we won't be having this conversation.

Wow kiddies: Waaaah Waaaah it's all about me, everyone else sucks except me, i will leave if it benefits me, screw everyone else except me, me me me me me, waaaaaah pre-mades aren't fair, waaaaah we've got too many low level/geared players, waaaaaah waaaah waaaah

yes they should be punished, the sooner the better.

teamwork and sportsmanship should be rewarded, not selfish, pathetic cowards who only think of themselves.

+1

exactly how I felt. Where is the sportmanship nowadays?

entitled much?

I used to agree that quitters should be punished. But then i saw the light and now quit wz when we are losing badly. I have 64 valor and there is no point in me sticking around with a bunch of people who cant play just so we can be farmed and I can waste more time playing a game i don't really enjoy anymore. All I care about are the dailies, I don't need valor or medals anymore. Not that I dont try my hardest but I know when to give up.