what movement keys do you use?

Rocco_

im not new to MMO's but i came from a game where it was pretty much face roll, i can keybind but i still find it tough to do, im trying to do the ESDF for movement but i dont see the advantage of it as i only gain from what i can tell 2 more keys, but i lose the ability to tab (if im tanking i need this to hold agro on mobs while waiting for my mass taunt. so i need tab for speed), with ESDF im having problems using the shift/ctrl modifier (so gaining 2ish but losing 8-10, i play on a laptop so i dont have number pad keys to bind,

may be its just going to take more time to get used to, i hope people can give me more reasons as to why i would keep to ESDF instead of going back to WASD..

thank you

Edited by Rocco_

im not new to MMO's but i came from a game where it was pretty much face roll, i can keybind but i still find it tough to do, im trying to do the ESDF for movement but i dont see the advantage of it as i only gain from what i can tell 2 more keys, but i lose the ability to tab (if im tanking i need this to hold agro on mobs while waiting for my mass taunt. so i need tab for speed), with ESDF im having problems using the shift/ctrl modifier (so gaining 2ish but losing 8-10, i play on a laptop so i dont have number pad keys to bind,

may be its just going to take more time to get used to, i hope people can give me more reasons as to why i would keep to ESDF instead of going back to WASD..

thank you

Here's a good article by Taugrim on this issue.

I think he answers your questions best:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

When adjusting your keybinds, you'll want to start with a new character.

Hope this helps.

Here's a good article by Taugrim on this issue.

I think he answers your questions best:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

When adjusting your keybinds, you'll want to start with a new character.

Hope this helps.

i glanced over this but didnt read into it much as it was based on RIFT, the bit about starting a new char was good advice, started a merc so that i would get into each skill bit by bit and its pretty easy to get used to, the inability to use 'esc' and 'tab' at speed is an annoyance but something im sure i WILL get used to

Edited by Rocco_

i glanced over this but didnt read into it much as it was based on RIFT, the bit about starting a new char was good advice, started a merc so that i would get into each skill bit by bit and its pretty easy to get used to, the inability to use 'esc' and 'tab' at speed is an annoyance but something im sure i WILL get used to

You should check it in its entirety.

It was created during a Rift session, but applies to any MMO.

Edited by Tetriarch

I use W forward, S backwards like most other ppl, but instead of using turn on A and D I put strafe there. I havent remapped turn at all since the mouse can handle the turning. That free up Q and E for spells/abilitys, and leave you with 12345qerf +mousescroll up, down, (click), forward and backward, thats 42 easy to reach keys with alt + ctrl modifier without having to change the normal movementkeysand without having a Naga. besides moving them makes it harder playing in dark lighting since you dont have alt and tab next to guide you.

Btw does anyone know how to remove bugraport from §? Imo § is by far the best button for emergency abilitys (determination/healing pot, etc) Now its useless, and if i accidentally hit it anyway I get that damn bugreport meny blocking my view of teh fighting:)

I use W forward, S backwards like most other ppl, but instead of using turn on A and D I put strafe there. I havent remapped turn at all since the mouse can handle the turning. That free up Q and E for spells/abilitys, and leave you with 12345qerf +mousescroll up, down, (click), forward and backward, thats 42 easy to reach keys with alt + ctrl modifier without having to change the normal movementkeysand without having a Naga. besides moving them makes it harder playing in dark lighting since you dont have alt and tab next to guide you.

Btw does anyone know how to remove bugraport from §? Imo § is by far the best button for emergency abilitys (determination/healing pot, etc) Now its useless, and if i accidentally hit it anyway I get that damn bugreport meny blocking my view of teh fighting:)

The latest patch should have changed the bug report button.

On UK keyboards it was \ which is to the left of Z (and therefore hit in combat by mistake) but the last patch unbound it and should have made the key bindable.

I use ASDF, with A and F being strafe. The only turning I do is with my mouse. Additionally, all my keybinds can be reached without moving my hand, just small finger movements for the most part. I use a program called "Key Tweak" to turn my windows key into a Left Ctrl button so it's right next to the alt key and I also switch f4 with f10 so that I can use f4/alt-f4 as a keybind without fear of closing the game by accident. I also use a Naga Razer MMO mouse and use 36 Quickslot keybinds.

I use a nostromo speedpad, I have my whole keyboard mapped to it. It has the movement keys next to the thumb of my left hand. It is shapped like a hand. I only use my keyboatd for typing messages. I dont see why more people dont use them.