In the era of WoW client going 64-bit SW:TOR is DirectX 9 based and FPS is crap

vandana_

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should I post my system specs? Do you go into a bathroom and ask to compare "package" sizes with other guys if you aren't peeing as much as the next dude over?

It sounds like something is wrong with your setup. Defragment your hard disk, optimize your device drivers, run a malware scan. Something is keeping your FPS down and I doubt it's SWTOR.

I have an HD 7970 ($600), Win7 and Tor on separate SSDs, 2500k@4.1ghz and 8gb of ram, and my fps drops to the 20s on the fleet. Everything is updated, everything is stable. I've been building my own PCs for like 10 years. Some cards just don't work well with this game. Edited by Mrip

2.3 Quad Nvidia 8800, Windows 7pro and 8gig of ram. This game SMOKES on my computer. Have 0 lag, no ability delay, no crashes.

I think something is smoking, but it isn't your computer.......

EDIT: Anyone that says they don't get frame rate drops or lag is simply lying. How do I know? Because under certain circumstances halt commands are issued to the rendering engine itself, resulting in a period of 0 FPS. When new data comes into the field of view of the player a halt command is issued until that data is retrieved, and when you open menus. These are the two currently confirmed instances of halt commands being issued to the rendering engine.

That is why you can jump in the air then open and close your menu extremely quickly and you get a lovely slide show effect. Want more proof? Run a resource monitor and watch your GPU resources, then do any of the above.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

May need to try downloading Directx 9.0c

The game is DX9 based, and if you don't have it installed then the game will try emulating it through DX11 (or so I've read here on the boards)

Another tip would be to check your core priority, and make sure you don't have the 2 SWTOR clients running set on "Low", as this will make your client fight (and lose) with background programs over resources.

I appreciate your advice and I'll do that.

However my point is you should't need to tweak a lot to have a game released on DX9 run decently on system like mine (maybe not high-end but still very decent). And remember we are talking a game released to compete with WoW - the most successful game in history.

So if you want to make sure your game competes with that you get the best possible engine imaginable, not some DX9 clunky crap.

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x

4GB KIT)

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA -

DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |

100MB/sW)***SPECIAL*** from 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX,

SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB

CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

The 20 fps is not constant - it is when there are many people around but I get graphical lags anyway and with the above spec it should be 60fps with vertical sync on.

Something is very wrong if you're getting 20fps with that setup. You're not running with VGA drivers are you?

However my point is you should't need to tweak a lot to have a game released on DX9 run decently on system like mine (maybe not high-end but still very decent). And remember we are talking a game released to compete with WoW - the most successful game in history.

So if you want to make sure your game competes with that you get the best possible engine imaginable, not some DX9 clunky crap.

Sorry but you are expected to keep your drivers upto date, none of us expect bioware to supply us the game on disks and every possible update for every machine its going onto.

I think something is smoking, but it isn't your computer.......

EDIT: Anyone that says they don't get frame rate drops or lag is simply lying. How do I know? Because under certain circumstances halt commands are issued to the rendering engine itself, resulting in a period of 0 FPS. When new data comes into the field of view of the player a halt command is issued until that data is retrieved, and when you open menus. These are the two currently confirmed instances of halt commands being issued to the rendering engine.

That is why you can jump in the air then open and close your menu extremely quickly and you get a lovely slide show effect. Want more proof? Run a resource monitor and watch your GPU resources, then do any of the above.

If you say so. Ill just continue to be happy on my computer that cost less and outperforms most others :D

C'mon the engine needs a re-write.

20 fps on high-end computer in Fleet is embarassing in 2012.

And yes I have no malware and yes I have all the newest drivers and DirectX9 updated to the most recent version.

Just FYI to your title name WoW may be working on a 64 bit client but it still uses DX9 very few MMOS have DX10/11 clients.

Edited by Kindara

Agreed, you shouldn't have to do any tweaking. Hopefully though, this will increase your performance a little :)

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8P67 PRO (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s, CrossFireX™ & SLI

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x

4GB KIT)

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA -

DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

120GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR |

100MB/sW)***SPECIAL*** from 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX,

SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB

CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)

COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£49)

The 20 fps is not constant - it is when there are many people around but I get graphical lags anyway and with the above spec it should be 60fps with vertical sync on.

Haha, you didn't just put this together by copy and pasting it from a online shop, didn't you?

In the era of WoW client going 64-bit SW:TOR is DirectX 9 based and FPS is crap

C'mon the engine needs a re-write.

20 fps on high-end computer in Fleet is embarassing in 2012.

And yes I have no malware and yes I have all the newest drivers and DirectX9 updated to the most recent version.

This thread is crap.

I can run games like skyrim on ultra and get no problems what so ever, the fan sort of just say's 'meh this is it?' on this I never see more than 40 FPS and with shadows 'on' I never see above 20 fps.

Well, Skyrim is not a good reference to compare, since it runs quite well on six year old hardware designs inside an XBOX360. That's some old hardware.

I run SWTOR on a stock gaming laptop from ASUS, with stock drivers, and no tweaks at 1920 with all high settings except shadows on low. It runs between 40-60 FPS in a full fleet at prime time. Never see any stutters.

Just FYI to your title name WoW may be working on a 64 bit client but it still uses DX9 very few MMOS have DX10/11 clients.

Wrong. You can change the Graphic API to DX11 in WoW through the in-game settings. There is a huge difference in performance as well. I can't run WoW in DX9 API at the highest settings (abysmal fps, below average of 20) but when I run it with DX11 API, I can run it with everything max (with the exception of high MSAA) with average of 40+ fps.

Wrong. You can change the Graphic API to DX11 in WoW through the in-game settings. There is a huge difference in performance as well. I can't run WoW in DX9 API at the highest settings (abysmal fps, below average of 20) but when I run it with DX11 API, I can run it with everything max (with the exception of high MSAA) with average of 40+ fps.

I can get 300+ FPS in wow using dx11. WoW is not a game that pushes hardware, unless you are talking about hardware from 10 years ago.

SLI GTX470's here and I don't have any FPS problems...running SWTOR and WoW simultaneously on dual monitors (AH).

Only issue I have is heat, but that's on my end. A combination of not having a large enough case for airflow and 470's run hot anyways.

i get from 25-90 framerate on the fleet it keeps jumping alot and my system is not that bad

i run Sli with 560 ti 2bg

and 3.8 mhz cpu

8 gb ram

and i know ppl with much beter computer then me that have low framerate inn warzone and ilium and on the fleet