Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please give us addons!

Athelen

That answer doesn't in any way answer my question. I asked for you to back up how you can claim that most players of TOR don't want the option of addons.

First thing: I wasnt talking just about the forums. I was including the ingame community

Second: Another person just backed me up

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel this is largely incorrect.
At some point it probably will be correct, and I doubt it was true at release, but who knows currently.

There's certainly a case to be made for them; add-on support is reflective of an overall philosophy Blizzard had great success employing in WoW, though some of its more sinister legacies (advanced quest tracker, for example) seem to be the only features that actually make it into other games.

Personally, I'd prefer macro support before add-on support, but I don't play a healer. Not that I support some of the ridiculous mods that came out for healing in WoW; there's definitely a point at which they're doing too much, and the player too little.

Actually it's damn close to the truth. The people who don't want damage meters are the ones who are scared people will notice more often just how awful they are and that they're the person the guild is carrying.
As a tank, I need a combat log so I can see what it was that hit me so hard, so that I can find ways to counter/mitigate it in the future.

Granted, I've only come across three NPCs which actually left me wondering what hit me so hard. In light of that, it's probably easier for BW to just adjust those NPCs than it is for them to implement a combat log.

Edited by Ansultares

First thing: I wasnt talking just about the forums. I was including the ingame community

And a third person(me) went against you. Most is an inaccurate statement. I would guess the split is close to 50/50. I would even venture to guess that many of the people against add-ons would probably be ok with a very limited API (not the wide open API of WoW).

My backup is that everybody who i speak to in WoW about having crap DPS, claim they dont use addons, or have never heard of addons. I honestly dont see any other reason somebody would be so against a damage meter, other than you dont want people to notice you dont care enough about your character to learn your rotation/gear/spec, in order to excell with it.

I'm full heal spec SORC this time around. What do I care about my damage. I know my abilities and I can drop elites easily enough or handle large groups of aggro using my utility spells and keeping a tight knit rotation. Damage? Meh. I just don't die alot, and neither does anyone around me - cause I'm a healer.

Damage is the other person is dead.

where did another person back you up? And also...what source data do you have to back up that the in-game community mostly doesn't want this feature?

I'm really not trying to be difficult.

And i never said i specifically want addons. Read my first sentence. I would be perfectly happy if they added an in game damage meter to the regular UI. One that you could minimize when you choose, and link to chat. I want to be able to compare myself to my guild mates and friends.

Simply put. If you dont like addons. You dont HAVE to use them. Nobody will force you. Addons are better fit for satisfying the community. If they added it to the regular in game UI, you wouldnt be able to choose whether or not to use it. It would always be there. If it were an addon, you 100% have the option of whether or not to add it to your game.

And a third person(me) went against you. Most is an inaccurate statement. I would guess the split is close to 50/50. I would even venture to guess that many of the people against add-ons would probably be ok with a very limited API (not the wide open API of WoW).

ok, i would say that it would be a 50/50 split. I am not anti-addons completely though. I dont mind having some addons, but ones that just make the game super easy shouldnt be allowed......also i dont mind a combat log, but group dmg meters arent right. BTW my main is a tank so i am not worried about people pointing out my terribad DPS. (still better than a healer's :p)

ok, i would say that it would be a 50/50 split. I am not anti-addons completely though. I dont mind having some addons, but ones that just make the game super easy shouldnt be allowed......also i dont mind a combat log, but group dmg meters arent right. BTW my main is a tank so i am not worried about people pointing out my terribad DPS. (still better than a healer's :p)

My DPS full heal spec isn't bad actually - I just can't stand toe to toe obviously - that's what Khem is for - or you for that matter

Edited by vanisle

The makers of video games (Bioware, Blizzard, ETC) dont make the addons.. They open up the files so that addons can be added. The community make their own addons and share them with other people. It would in no way take time and resources away from developing new content. They would simply have to make the game files open to additions.

In my experience opening up a closed system for user-generated changes takes time and testing and careful consideration. The addons themselves might not take any effort from the dev team but getting everything ready to be modified sure will.

Regardless, I'm not saying it would be bad to have them, just that

a) I don't believe 'most' people are worried about it

b) it shouldn't be prioritized over other work

In my experience opening up a closed system for user-generated changes takes time and testing and careful consideration. The addons themselves might not take any effort from the dev team but getting everything ready to be modified sure will.

Regardless, I'm not saying it would be bad to have them, just that

a) I don't believe 'most' people are worried about it

b) it shouldn't be prioritized over other work

If Blizzard did it around 2007 or so, theres really no reason it should be such an issue for a "cutting edge" company in 2012.

Simply put. If you dont like addons. You dont HAVE to use them.
Alot of people can't get over that one time where a guild leader expected them to run specific mods, or some idiot was e-peening in chat about meaningless numbers from inconsequential content.

Then there's the folks who can't get over the irrational fear they have of this behavior based solely on third party accounts, having never actually been exposed to damage meters or senseless e-peening before, but nonetheless despising it as a matter of principal.

They also tend to say things like "I play it as a game, not as a second job," in one thread, before demanding in another thread equal access to content because they can't be bothered to put in any time/effort, let alone adjust their own expectations consummately with their own gaming proclivities.

Alot of people can't get over that one time where a guild leader expected them to run specific mods, or some idiot was e-peening in chat about meaningless numbers from inconsequential content.

Then there's the folks who can't get over the irrational fear they have of this behavior based solely on third party accounts, having never actually been exposed to damage meters or senseless e-peening before, but nonetheless despising it as a matter of principal.

They also tend to say things like "I play it as a game, not as a second job," in one thread, before demanding in another thread equal access to content because they can't be bothered to put in any time/effort, let alone adjust their own expectations consummately with their own gaming proclivities.

I think I can agree to this but admit I do not understand the last sentence-lol

:D

I agree with you that the API needs to be limited.

It would have been nice to have add-ons available when the new GCD animation went into effect. When these types of things happen in WoW, the add-on community is pretty swift in giving some temporary relief until Blizzard can fix the issue. I would love to see that sort of community action for TOR.

Edited by Knewt

I would very much like to see:

1) Health of target's target so I know as a healer who the aggro has gone to (and tell me when I need to switch target to boss for interrupt trigger), and

2) Audio triggers I can set for when I get a proc or important cooldown or other things I need to be aware of without bar watching to the exclusion of all else.

1) Health of target's target so I know as a healer who the aggro has gone to (and tell me when I need to switch target to boss for interrupt trigger), and

2) Audio triggers I can set for when I get a proc or important cooldown or other things I need to be aware of without bar watching to the exclusion of all else.

But isn't that a simplification. I mean it is what it is right. This is my first time as healer, but I find I can manage pretty well without needing addon support. Sure it gets taxing but I think that's where choices come in - or just the general attentiveness of a player.

Hello everyone,

This is a heads up that we recently had to remove several posts from this thread. As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Disruptive Behavior - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thank you!

Edited by Noviru

What's the point of learning your rotation and spending all that time trying to be the best you can be, if you cant even see your results? It's like taking a test and never finding out whether or not you passed or failed, after you spent hours studying.

Did the boss die?

Yes, I passed.

No, I didn't.

End of test.

If enough people want them, Bioware should add them.

We don't need fan-based add-ons. I knew people in WoW that had so many add-ons going, it slowed their PC down to under 10 fps during raids.

Its better when the company running the game, makes the changes for all to use. Equal gaming field.

Besides, they allow add-ons, then they have to put up with the complaints of how some add-ons make the game unfair. :p