Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Reid, commenting on the announcement last September that same-gender companion romances would be post-launch content in SWTOR seems to suggest BioWare feels otherwise:

That hardly seems to be borne out by the small number of posts to the Q&A thread that question this decision (two to four a week, on average) compared to the number of players who are requesting some sort of status update on same-gender content, which is roughly 10%, this week and last.

You are welcome to your opinion of the relevance of the content to your enjoyment of the game, of course. Others feel otherwise.

No one has ever suggested otherwise. Only that it would be helpful to have further clarification of how same-gender content might be implemented.

Please familiarize yourself with the subject of the thread, and what it is addressing, before leaping to unwarranted conclusions.

LOL...people like you make me laugh. I never said it was suggested otherwise so how is it that I jumped to unwarranted conclusions? Simply pointing out this "issue" isn't high on their priority as evidenced by the fact it's not been implemented. And the number of posts on this issue is small in comparison to the number of people that play the game. My guess is EA doesn't want it considering Bioware has done it in other games of theirs.

LOL...people like you make me laugh. I never said it was suggested otherwise so how is it that I jumped to unwarranted conclusions? Simply pointing out this "issue" isn't high on their priority as evidenced by the fact it's not been implemented. And the number of posts on this issue is small in comparison to the number of people that play the game. My guess is EA doesn't want it considering Bioware has done it in other games of theirs.

Ever hear of The Sims? Pretty much EA's flagship - and same-gender romance has always been an option for those who choose to pursue it.

This will be in the game. That has been affirmed and re-affirmed many times. How and when are the questions - and the topic of this thread here and in its two previous incarnations.

I am glad I could at least bring some humor to lighten your day. And thanks for the bump.

Edited by Uluain

Well, the Sims 3 has caused a lot of problems to EA in particular european countries (i speak for what i've saw first hand by myself) for the same gender romance, so MAYBE it has been a change of policy about that (considered that an MMO this huge is currently played also in other countries like Turkey where even the romance Shepard-Liara has caused serious issues).

So i think they're simply dodging the ball

Well we've been directed to post here in this thread about SGRA and flirts and other such stuff so here goes...

I have no issue with the content being added.

I would like however the option to choose the gender and sexual orientation of my character at creation and not have to deal with options to flirt or romance those that do not fit what I have chosen.

That is all.

Well, the Sims 3 has caused a lot of problems to EA in particular european countries (i speak for what i've saw first hand by myself) for the same gender romance, so MAYBE it has been a change of policy about that (considered that an MMO this huge is currently played also in other countries like Turkey where even the romance Shepard-Liara has caused serious issues).

So i think they're simply dodging the ball

For once I don't think the problem is EA. With the games already mentioned (Sims, Mass Effect, Dragon Age) they seem to not mind the inclusion of same gender content.

It is obviously not a general issue with Bioware either as ME3 and the linked interviews of the Docs shows.

This seems to be a specifically Bioware - Austin issue as their actions so far are clearly not aligned with the stances Ray and Greg have said are "part of the expectation of a role-playing game" and "part of the expectation of a BioWare game".

Edited by Nozybidaj

Totally ignored; for all the questions posted on QA.....always ignored this topic.

That's O.K. Bioware; my sub will ignore you after 26 days.

Not resubbing till they do something with the game to actually improve it.

I am a heterosexual male, but I want to do something fun and endgame sucks; PvP only goes so far. Once you max out a character its onto the next class/faction to experience the storyline there...then its the same thing over again. Then you get bored and want to make a non-hetero character to end the monotony; oh wait no one gets that option.

Why bother adding the shell of a 'Legacy System' if you haven't planned to implement it until far after post launch.

Why bother to announce SGRAs pre-launch if you lack the ability to even comment on them afterwards?

Well we've been directed to post here in this thread about SGRA and flirts and other such stuff so here goes...

I would like however the option to choose the gender and sexual orientation of my character at creation and not have to deal with options to flirt or romance those that do not fit what I have chosen.

It seems to me that this game is all about choices, and playing out the consequences to those choices. Character evolve over time, why would you want something to limit gameplay?

That is all.

Somehow I doubt that.

Why bother to announce SGRAs pre-launch if you lack the ability to even comment on them afterwards?

That is the million dollar question. And I just wanted to test out my new signature. We were all looking for a catchy signature earlier. I think Ray gave us a pretty good one.

The problem with that - something that's been brought up many times before - is that options of that sort can be seen as a way to "hide the gays". I hope I don't need to explain why this would come across in an extremely negative light, and create a PR nightmare the likes of which no company wants. It also goes against the ideals of equality espoused by BioWare's founders.

There are no options to turn off violence, torture, crime, murder, and other things in this game that people might find offensive. However, as the player, you always have the option to not have your character engage in such behaviors. You will have the same option with SGR behavior. BioWare has said that SGR-related content will be clearly marked, so you will not be 'tricked' into selecting them; I would think they'll be marked much as the [Flirt] options currently are.

Therefore, the option you are requesting will be unnecessary. All you'll have to do is not choose to [Flirt] with someone whose gender matches your character's. Many people already choose not to [Flirt] when they don't want to, I'm certain you can do the same. :)

The problem with that - something that's been brought up many times before - is that options of that sort can be seen as a way to "hide the gays". I hope I don't need to explain why this would come across in an extremely negative light, and create a PR nightmare the likes of which no company wants. It also goes against the ideals of equality espoused by BioWare's founders.

There are no options to turn off violence, torture, crime, murder, and other things in this game that people might find offensive. However, as the player, you always have the option to not have your character engage in such behaviors. You will have the same option with SGR behavior. BioWare has said that SGR-related content will be clearly marked, so you will not be 'tricked' into selecting them; I would think they'll be marked much as the [Flirt] options currently are.

Therefore, the option you are requesting will be unnecessary. All you'll have to do is not choose to [Flirt] with someone whose gender matches your character's. Many people already choose not to [Flirt] when they don't want to, I'm certain you can do the same. :)

I feel that a line of thinking like that is somewhat elites t and has a victim mentality. A poster last night decided to use the term bigoted about Bioware and I felt offended by that as BW are not bigoted. I have read this thread from start to finish, and what I feel is that there is a sense of victimization by those who want SGR and since BW have said nothing about this issue they are up in arms. This isn't the only issue BW have straight up ignored so your not alone. I also don't see what the big issue is in having romance settings like male, female, both, neither. I guess I don't get why that is so offensive to some, everyone gets to choose and that is that. It won't happen but some of the comments were a bit over the top when it came to a toggle feature.

I think BW's stance on at least that issue is pretty clear since they closed the toggle thread. Its not gonna happen (and there is no need for it anyway). Lets not rehash all of this here again folks.

Don't let folks get this thread off track again. The focus at the moment I think should be on Ray and Greg's interview. They gave us great ammunition in support of our requests. Make sure in next weeks Q&A you mention that the co-founders of Bioware see same gender content as an expectation of a BW game, so why don't we have it in TOR?

Edited by Nozybidaj

I think BW's stance on at least that issue is pretty clear since they closed the toggle thread. Its not gonna happen (and there is no need for it anyway). Lets not rehash all of this here again folks.

Good point, I probably shouldn't have responded. I just felt like approaching it with my usual reason and logic and was hoping to do so before people started getting upset. Eh heh heh.

Also: excellent new signature, Nozybidaj. If we don't get an answer in the Q&A this week, I'm going to add that quote and the link to my question, to show people that what we're asking for is info about something that's pretty much expected from a BioWare game.

Edit: and I see you've edited your post to say much the same. Excellent. :D

Edited by MusedMoose

Edit: and I see you've edited your post to say much the same. Excellent. :D

Hehe, I'm sneaky like that. I think it is an extremely important thing to add and to highlight for this discussion. I won't be around to post for next weeks Q&A, so make sure to bring this up CONSTANTLY! :D I actually thought my time ran out yesterday, but apparently not, maybe it is today. I know it was right around the end of the month in any case.

I guess I don't get why that is so offensive to some, everyone gets to choose and that is that. It won't happen but some of the comments were a bit over the top when it came to a toggle feature.

The toggle feature is found so offensive not because of what it does specifically, but the implication that is brought along with it.

Right now, we have opposite-gender romances in the game. They're there, right now. No toggle. No way to "hide" such content.

Same-gender romances are brought into the mix, and suddenly people think that a toggle to hide such content is necessary, to avoid offending individual values and "for the children." Sure, there is a compromise in that the toggle may or may not be set to allow hetero content to be hidden as well... But it's still there. Right now. No toggle.

And as someone already stated, there is also murder, slavery, and torture in the game with no way to "turn off" that content. I find slavery highly offensive, for instance. But I'm forced to take Vette as a Sith Warrior. And yes, I do have the option to free her... But the option to keep her enslaved is still visible. Meanwhile, the very idea that homosexual flirt-options would still be visible on some peoples' characters despite their personal preference is worthy of complaint? I would say that is the far larger victim-complex of the two sides, though I agree that some people in this thread (myself included) can be a bit melodramatic about being singled out as a part of the community. Melodramatic. Not unjustified.

Bottom-line; the implication brings the idea that somehow, some way, homosexual relationships are somehow more reasonable to be offended at than murder and slavery. I don't think everyone who supports the toggle has that direct line of thought, but the implication is still there, and as long as we have no answer on the issue, I detest the suggestion of this content needing some sort of extra toggle on top of the current system.

If tomorrow, Bioware came out and said that the only way I'd get the content is with a toggle, however, I'd grit my teeth and accept it. After all, it is their product and their rules. But until then, I do not support any such option.

If tomorrow, Bioware came out and said that the only way I'd get the content is with a toggle, however, I'd grit my teeth and accept it. After all, it is their product and their rules. But until then, I do not support any such option.

That's where I'm at. I find the concept of a toggle outright unnecessary, and stand in direct opposition of its implementation, but in the end it is Bioware's game. TOR isn't a democracy, it's a service. If they say 'The same-sex toggle is going in, deal with it,' then I will. Just as if they say 'It's not going in, deal with it' I'd expect people opposed to it to deal with it or go elsewhere.

That's where I'm at. I find the concept of a toggle outright unnecessary, and stand in direct opposition of its implementation, but in the end it is Bioware's game. TOR isn't a democracy, it's a service. If they say 'The same-sex toggle is going in, deal with it,' then I will. Just as if they say 'It's not going in, deal with it' I'd expect people opposed to it to deal with it or go elsewhere.

They pretty clearly said the opposite by closing that thread. Can we drop it now and concentrate on the important matters. :D Now everyone go change your signature. ;)

They pretty clearly said the opposite by closing that thread. Can we drop it now and concentrate on the important matters. :D Now everyone go change your signature. ;)

I'm in favor of that. :D

Though the redirect from closing that thread makes me doubt it will be possible... :(

Seeing this thread makes me HAPPY!!!! I am glad they are really taking this to heart and listening to our thoughts!!!!

Here is my thing, I (like most of you) am a SW fan and also a fairly long term game player. It took me a LONG time to finally decide to come back here and try this game out. My biggest concern was that there would be ZERO gay/bisexual content. I am GLAD to see that it is being talked about. ^_^

Ok now for me to do some reading and catching up on what I have been missing ^_^...

Seeing this thread makes me HAPPY!!!! I am glad they are really taking this to heart and listening to our thoughts!!!!

Welcome, and you'll have to decide for yourself how much they are taking it to heart. We have disagreements over that. :p

I'm in favor of that. :D

Though the redirect from closing that thread makes me doubt it will be possible... :(

Just ignore it and it will go away eventually.