Ilum Trades

RejectedPriest

Is there anything thats going to be done about these groups?

It's become pathetic, evertime I log in on my 50 Im getting a tell from a certain individual asking if I would like some Ilum PvP. When asked what they are doing, the reply is always the same "trading". Easy street has to stop, and they've been exploiting this mechanic since the implementation of the patch that changed if from taking the 5 points. And even before that, since launch the 5 points were being traded. Me and my guild have made it a rule that there is no Kill trading in Ilum in the guild, it warrents a kick from the guild at first offence.

It's completely out of control, you can't walk into Ilum on my server without seeing multiple people asking about trading operation groups, you can ask them all and they openly admit it.

They outgear us in pvp, that is a bit of a thorn in the side but it's overcome if your in decent gear (im in mostly centurion pieces and im doing 'okay') My biggest beef is the fact that they openly admit they've exploited by kill trading, have quite alot of the battlemaster gear, and nothing has been done to curb it. I imagine it would be a huge undertaking to find out who was exlpoiting and who wasn't. And a complete rollback of valor/gear would upset too many people.

TL;DR

Kill trading is out of control and is there anything being done about it? Or should we just accept that there is an easy street available and if you want to be a sell out, you're allowed to without consequence.

i know it sucks but it is "working as intended". The devs have stated that they want people killing on Ilum. Luckily for me and my guild we are yet to see this on our server.

This kinda makes me a little sad, they wont even accept that their system is flawed, and they wont even try and save face by admiting it.

I hope for your sake that it doesn't come to you guys either.

My server stopped pvping entirely. Reps and imps are buds in ilum now.

I am infamous for insulting the killtraders in general and rolling their little carebear stare sessions.

Our guild is notorious for this as well, we are pretty much the server exiles.

Edited by RejectedPriest

I have yet to see any kill trading on Vulkar Highway or Port Nowhere. Not saying it hasn't happened but I have never seen anything in chat about it.

One side usually will roll the other and then the other side will eventually get numbers as the other side has filled their dailies etc and then the other team rolls for a while. This is not organized trading, this is the ebb and flow of a battle.

Shame on those that would actually organize this.

One reason you should not be allowed to have toons from both factions on the same server. This leads to all sorts of unwanted activities.

Although I don't kill trade and I don't think my server does it really is BW's fault, not the players.

Players realize there is a shortcut to get good gear, otherwise you need to grind warzones for a month to get it.

TLDR :: stop blaming the players for taking advantage, blame the devs

they have tried to stop this. not sure if anyone has noticed but there is a cap on valor gains. it can be reset though. its more of an annoyance than anything. we have yet to see kill trading on my server and for the last 3-4 weeks, illum has been a slugfest, esp on tuesday evenings. we have some solid guilds that like to pvp. oddly enough its a pve server. i think its because most of the pve guilds have gotten bored with the pve content. there hasnt been a night yet in the last 3 weeks when ive been in illum that we havent controlled central long enough for us to all get our dailies done and we are republic. last night i got my 150 kills in about 2 hours.

Although I don't kill trade and I don't think my server does it really is BW's fault, not the players.

Players realize there is a shortcut to get good gear, otherwise you need to grind warzones for a month to get it.

TLDR :: stop blaming the players for taking advantage, blame the devs

it is 100% the players fault. it doesnt mater what system BW or ANY MMO puts in place... there will always be people who just scam the system and figure out the fastest and easiest way to farm whatever it is they want to farm.

at the end of the day it really doesnt mater that much. BM gear isnt the end all be all of pvp. people who kill trade pretty much suck at pvp to begin with. their BM gear isnt going to make them any better at pvp. they will still get stomped by people in champ gear anyway.

its like in swg pre-cu and jedi fight clubbing. The CSR's new it was going on, but as long as they were not "exploiting the timers" it was "working as intended". IMHO this was the downfall of the game as everyone called jedi OP they implemented the CU then well we know the chain of events.

"I can reassure you that those who were involved and who gained an unfair advantage over other players inappropriately will be carefully reviewed and action will be taken to restore game balance."

- Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer – Live Services, regarding Ilum base camp incident.

Apparently kill trades are player-organized legit events that he cannot interfere. Those hard-earned advantages must be fair and encouraged way of progression it seems.

Unless he's on leave for weeks.

Edited by Astridd

it is 100% the players fault. it doesnt mater what system BW or ANY MMO puts in place... there will always be people who just scam the system and figure out the fastest and easiest way to farm whatever it is they want to farm.

at the end of the day it really doesnt mater that much. BM gear isnt the end all be all of pvp. people who kill trade pretty much suck at pvp to begin with. their BM gear isnt going to make them any better at pvp. they will still get stomped by people in champ gear anyway.

it's not 100% the players fault. there are many things BW could have done to make this go away.

• divide valor among people involved in the kill - encourages smaller groups roaming around instead of blobbing up in a kill trading zerg
  • make objectives have more meaning than just "more valor", how about "if you don't hold at least 3, you gain zero valor".
  • give valor bonuses to the underpopulated side, make it scale with the imbalance per server/instance.
  • make instance population caps work on a per faction basis, not first come first serve, this would make instances far more balanced the majority of the time. on servers where there are way too many imperials... some might have to considder rerolling.

for sure, this is the result of players exploiting a flawed system. but they are flaws that can/should be fixed in a number of ways.

needless to say though, the damage is well and truly done, and this isn't something that they will ever recover from. and with the advent of ranked warzones and pvp, the gear gap is going to be all that matters.

Edited by Almghty_gir

"Here's the deal Kill trading is Lame, but it does get weekly/daily missions completed quickly so we can spend more time with the much better PvP in war zones. The Valor gain helps both factions Repug and Imp get into better gear faster meaning better more even PvP in War Zones. "

- A kill trader,

Oh wow, nice self-justification there. But beware, all you gain through that 'lame' trade, can also be taken away from you within a simple patch. Don't be a pawn and start protesting, because you're not going to enjoy Ilum with current pvp dev team.

Edited by Astridd

it's not 100% the players fault. there are many things BW could have done to make this go away.

• divide valor among people involved in the kill - encourages smaller groups roaming around instead of blobbing up in a kill trading zerg
  • make objectives have more meaning than just "more valor", how about "if you don't hold at least 3, you gain zero valor".
  • give valor bonuses to the underpopulated side, make it scale with the imbalance per server/instance.
  • make instance population caps work on a per faction basis, not first come first serve, this would make instances far more balanced the majority of the time. on servers where there are way too many imperials... some might have to considder rerolling.

for sure, this is the result of players exploiting a flawed system. but they are flaws that can/should be fixed in a number of ways.

name one MMO that doesnt have players exploiting things to farm this or that or to max out this or that the fastest. it happens in every MMO and it continues to happen in every MMO regardless of what changes or patches are made. people will always figure a way.

the big dif is, unlike many MMOs, its not really a game breaking thing because, this isnt a gear is everything type of game. pvp gear is easy to get for everyone. dont need to join some top guild to farm some operation to get gear or any foolishness like that.

so some people get BM gear a bit faster, no big deal because champ gear is good enough. if you cant kill some BM geared kill trader while you are in champ gear, then you are still not going to kill them when you get your BM gear.

name one MMO that doesnt have players exploiting things to farm this or that or to max out this or that the fastest. it happens in every MMO and it continues to happen in every MMO regardless of what changes or patches are made. people will always figure a way.

the big dif is, unlike many MMOs, its not really a game breaking thing because, this isnt a gear is everything type of game. pvp gear is easy to get for everyone. dont need to join some top guild to farm some operation to get gear or any foolishness like that.

so some people get BM gear a bit faster, no big deal because champ gear is good enough. if you cant kill some BM geared kill trader while you are in champ gear, then you are still not going to kill them when you get your BM gear.

Interesting twist.

Would you allow such kill trades and progression model, if you were the lead pvp dev?

I will preface this statement by saying that I have never kill traded. I go and try to get my armaments the painful way by doing circuits around central with 20 other imperials looking for their spawn and on the rare occasion republic shows up we usually put together a group and try to wipe them for more armaments. Kill trading is a guarantee to finish your daily and for people who play less than I do / night it may be their only viable option to finish that daily.

Right now Illum is such a joke, at least on my server. It's the only daily I have ever DREADED playing MMOs. I think it was a good idea but on my server with IMP far outnumbering REP it's a 1 sided grind for quest items. I just get on a speeder everynight and hope that in the 2 or 3 hours I'm online I can find all 30 while still trying to get my 3 wins in WZ matches.

I think a lot of pain would be alleviated if they just lowered the amount of items needed to complete the quest b/c as it is now just cruising around looking for boxes is a nightmare and the most time consuming daily I've ever seen, or maybe up the spawns to around the entire map not just 8 boxes around central.

if you cant kill some BM geared kill trader while you are in champ gear, then you are still not going to kill them when you get your BM gear.

Although the difference from Champ to BM gear isn't substantial, I find that on my server trade killing and hacking go hand in hand. It's all about the mind set of the individual really, they're looking for EZ mode PvP (without any real PvP) and Bioware has chosen to feed it to them at this point.

"I can reassure you that those who were involved and who gained an unfair advantage over other players inappropriately will be carefully reviewed and action will be taken to restore game balance."

- Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer – Live Services, regarding Ilum base camp incident.

This statement made me feel better about Ilum when the changes were made. But now looking back, I simply don't feel Bioware is doing enough to prevent players who are gaining an unfair advantage from doing just that.

Bioware needs to start at the fundamental issue which is the daily for BM bags. All this tweaking to prevent kill trading is making Ilum worse and worse for legitimate servers who have back and forth battles. Having to kill myself or AFk for 5 minutes for the valor cap/5mins to reset it is stupid.

On HoG, there is very little kill trading at least in public locations. Most of the time Imperials camp our base, but once in awhile we push out and go to their spawn, and seeing "No Valor Gained" is infuriating. Kill trading will happen regardless, and stopping it will probably never truly happen as the incentive of the daily means people want the easy way out regardless of what system you put in place.