Crafting YOUR lightsaber

FuriousJimmy

As the game is heading more and more into a personal stylistic setting where you will earn high level mods and apply them to your favorite gear as you wish, I got to thinking about the most personal aspect of a Jedi or Sith: Their lightsaber.

As an MMO, it's pretty common to run out and attempt to acquire the new coolest looking weapon and what not. In SWTOR, we really only have the hilts, as the "blade", or crystal color is inter-changable, or will be soon. But for a Star Wars nerd like myself, I enjoy the concept of crafting my very own lightsaber of "my" own design.

Now, you might say "but at the beginning of your class story your Jedi does create his/her own lightsaber!" and sure, they do, well, some of them do. The Sith do not. But regardless, each blade other than the Inquisitors', looks the exact same.

What I'd like to see is a quest chain that allows the Jedi or Sith to go out and collect parts that will result in him building a lightsaber of his/her own design. This could be done in several formats, but basically the game already has numerous designs for lightsaber hilts, and probably more that haven't even been released yet. So at the end of a quest chain, the Jedi/Sith could "put together" the pieces, and basically cycle through the artwork and choose one that they'd like their hilt to look like(Much like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy).

Strict MMO players will likely not agree with this, as acquisition is of the next big weapon is a huge thing, but considering we're already moving in the direction of acquiring mods rather than being forced to wear gear we dislike the look of; I really don't see why this isn't feasible or undesirable. Most Star Wars fans would probably want to take part in a quest chain of this type.

Any constructive feedback on this idea is welcome and I look forward to it.

Yeah, Sith Warriors just sort of steal a lightsaber since you're working under the radar in the story.

I like the idea of a quest to build a saber, but I don't think a Quest Chain is necessary to acquire the materials when the mods you have are the inner workings. It could even be as simple as a class quest on Dromund Kaas or on Typhos to simply get the pieces you need from the armory, or a quest to a place to acquire a special focusing crystal...but that would replace the crystal you already have...hmm...

Count me in. You have my enthusiastic "Yes" vote.

Perhaps this could be tied into the upcoming Legacy features. Spending Legacy points to open this quest chain up to your Main and all your Alts. Or perhaps it is only done once, and the uniquely-designed Saber is available to all your alts as a Legacy item from that point on (there would need to be single- and dual-bladed sabers designed for that to work, though. Would hate to come up with an awesome design for a single-bladed one and not have it available as a double-bladed variant to the Assassin or Shadow).

But yeah, great idea.

First: I'd say this should not only be for Sith/Jedi. All other classes have enough reason for personalized weapons as well.

Second: I'd say a good compromise would be to add something like an Appearance Mod for weapons. So instead of needing to have every weapon and switch mods around, you can just use one extra mod slot that determines the appearance of a weapon.

Still, in a way, the current system already has that 'craft your own' feel to it. As you can make sure the look you like and 'unlocked' through finding it is the one you can stick with forever. So while you level you already quest to get the look of the weapon you like and stick with it.

I personally found a special and rather unique design around level 30 and have been very happy to be able to use it ever since.

I see where you're going, but this shouldn't be at the beginning. If there were a questline like this it should be at level 50. If you got to make a custom lightsaber with your favorite design qualities on it at the beginning, no one would ever bother with acquiring another lightsaber again.

Good idea, but it's for endgame.

I see where you're going, but this shouldn't be at the beginning. If there were a questline like this it should be at level 50. If you got to make a custom lightsaber with your favorite design qualities on it at the beginning, no one would ever bother with acquiring another lightsaber again.

Considering that part of the storyline for each of the lightsaber-wielding classes grants them their first saber in the beginning, I can definitely jump on the level 50 bandwagon as far as questing for your own saber goes.

Agreed. It feels like an 'Epic' sort of thing, anyway, and shouldn't be easy.

Still fits in well with the Legacy option in this case...

I probably have about 20 orange lightsabers in my cargo hold (not including the two I use as a Sentinel). I started collecting them because I was trying to find a pair that looked nice together and fit my character. I think I went with the Valorous Elite Tactician and the Elegant Focus which are identical, though the latter was technically a Consular weapon.

That being said, I would love to actually choose my lightsaber for a selection of hilts. Though I think they need a 'dressing room' feature for weapons so you can actually see what the weapon looks like before equipping it.

One of the reasons I suggested a Quest Chain was simply because this is an MMO and achievement/acquisition is part of the inherent design.

While that is true, I find it silly to travel all the way to Tatooine to locate a Saber-cap (or whatever the term is for the knobby bit on top) that has no real bearing on the execution of the weapon (again, that's what the Mods inside are for), after plunging the depths of a tomb on Korriban for a shaft hilt.

Star Wars: The Quest for vanity design.

I agree that the Legacy system could be used with this somehow. I'm not sure I like the idea of the lightsaber carrying over to every character, as I enjoy the differences between characters, but they did say the Legacy system would have things to offer for single characters as well as each character. Opening the quest chain with it is a good idea, IMO.

I also agree that Ilum could definitely be useful here.

While that is true, I find it silly to travel all the way to Tatooine to locate a Saber-cap (or whatever the term is for the knobby bit on top) that has no real bearing on the execution of the weapon (again, that's what the Mods inside are for), after plunging the depths of a tomb on Korriban for a shaft hilt.

Star Wars: The Quest for vanity design.

I think having to collect parts across different planets adds to the feel of its Epic nature...

But we'd have to do something about the current Orbital Station crap.

Starship -> Airlock -> Shuttle -> Spaceport gets old when you're doing one quest on each planet for four or five successive times... :jawa_mad:

i love this idea. in a game where we can keep level 10 armor through the whole game if we like this look. i think making a personal lightsaber is something this games needs. I still dont understand how lightsaber crafting is not in the game.

Always in previous Star Wars games, I have always wanted and been looking for the option to actually build a lightsaber.

The concept of just removing and adding 3-4 mods is way to limited.

Where is option for chosing outer shell casing, inner shell, the lens, the power unit, on/off switch, length, circuitry.. I don`t know all the conceivable options really.

But would really like to see a lightsaber/blaster is made up of 10-15 different parts or something along those lines.

Something to call your own at least :p

I would love to be able to have a quest to craft another lightsaber, in my Sentinel's personal story I made it so that one of the quest rewards was the new saber that he constructed after saving tython. I would also like to see some more lightsabers that come from the story such as the exile's lightsaber, Revan's lightsaber, or the lightsabers belonging to the jedi council from KOTOR. One I would like the most has to be "the lightsaber of Jolee Bindo"

I think having to collect parts across different planets adds to the feel of its Epic nature...

But we'd have to do something about the current Orbital Station crap.

Starship -> Airlock -> Shuttle -> Spaceport gets old when you're doing one quest on each planet for four or five successive times... :jawa_mad:

I think the base nature of it being just an aesthetic hilt sort of diminishes the "epic" feel of it already. You're not building a better lightsaber from it, just YOUR lightsbaer.

Unless there's something special about this "Ancient Saber Shaft" I'm in this cave killing the indigenous people for, other than the fact some old Sith Lord used it to maybe one time scratch his ***, I'm going to need a little more.

Artifice let's you craft sabers at max level, may not be what you envisioned but the opportunity does exist

And hence lies the problem.. It is to predetermined and lacking. There should be a design tool to help players design something unique after 30 minutes of effort and not 30 minutes of waiting for the companion to finish the predetermined hilt with predetermined mods.

And hence lies the problem.. It is to predetermined and lacking. There should be a design tool to help players design something unique after 30 minutes of effort and not 30 minutes of waiting for the companion to finish the predetermined hilt with predetermined mods.

Agreed so much. Every Jedi gets to craft his own lightsaber to suit his or her style... players should be able to have a similar oppotunity. Sure, having access to a bunch of different designs at the commendation vendor is okaaaaaaay... but it's lacking in that true Star Wars feeling. I agree with the person who said it should be an epic long quest at lvl 50. Having -YOUR- perrrrfect lightsaber is something that only a knowledgeable, experienced Jedi (or Sith!) should be able to do-- for himself, not from a vendor, or from some guy who just happens to have this hilt lyin' around, ten thou' credits! How anticlimactic is that?!