Crafting YOUR lightsaber

FuriousJimmy

I'm glad the people who have responded generally like the idea, and hopefully Bioware takes notice.

That said, I understand artifice has some limited crafting capabilities here, but this concept is meant to add a bit more content and support the general feel of Jedi/Sith.

I've always liked this idea. It might be cool at end game. Like a multiple series quest chain to acquire your class weapon. They did something like that in Asherons call 2. As always I think the more customization the better but from a dev standpoint I bet they would just rather put more hilts into the game. Rather then designing a whole new weapon building system for aesthetics alone.

But if its possible that would be awesome to see.

As the game is heading more and more into a personal stylistic setting where you will earn high level mods and apply them to your favorite gear as you wish, I got to thinking about the most personal aspect of a Jedi or Sith: Their lightsaber.

As an MMO, it's pretty common to run out and attempt to acquire the new coolest looking weapon and what not. In SWTOR, we really only have the hilts, as the "blade", or crystal color is inter-changable, or will be soon. But for a Star Wars nerd like myself, I enjoy the concept of crafting my very own lightsaber of "my" own design.

Now, you might say "but at the beginning of your class story your Jedi does create his/her own lightsaber!" and sure, they do, well, some of them do. The Sith do not. But regardless, each blade other than the Inquisitors', looks the exact same.

What I'd like to see is a quest chain that allows the Jedi or Sith to go out and collect parts that will result in him building a lightsaber of his/her own design. This could be done in several formats, but basically the game already has numerous designs for lightsaber hilts, and probably more that haven't even been released yet. So at the end of a quest chain, the Jedi/Sith could "put together" the pieces, and basically cycle through the artwork and choose one that they'd like their hilt to look like(Much like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy).

Strict MMO players will likely not agree with this, as acquisition is of the next big weapon is a huge thing, but considering we're already moving in the direction of acquiring mods rather than being forced to wear gear we dislike the look of; I really don't see why this isn't feasible or undesirable. Most Star Wars fans would probably want to take part in a quest chain of this type.

Any constructive feedback on this idea is welcome and I look forward to it.

like the knights games on original Xbox did they even went as far as your single blade saber had a pearl a crystal and i think two other things the double bladed had 2 crystals and two pearls

I think the base nature of it being just an aesthetic hilt sort of diminishes the "epic" feel of it already. You're not building a better lightsaber from it, just YOUR lightsbaer.

Unless there's something special about this "Ancient Saber Shaft" I'm in this cave killing the indigenous people for, other than the fact some old Sith Lord used it to maybe one time scratch his ***, I'm going to need a little more.

I don't think I'm clearly describing it as I see it...

If it were an Epic lvl 50 Mission, it would not be to simply design your own Hilt. I would think that you could design it in several important ways:

• Custom Hilt: Choosing and mixing/matching from an assortment of pieces like Pommels, Grips, Caps, Guards, Quillians, Ferrules, etc to create something pretty unique.
  • Custom Hilt Parts Colors: I wouldn't do this on an RBG slider, specifically, but it would be nice to choose from 10 or 12 different colors/patterns for each individualpart of the Hilt.
  • Custom Color Crystal: Use an RBG slider to allow you to create a crystal to your exact color specifications.
  • Custom Stats: Have a set pool of points that you can spend between several stat bonuses, to customize it to your playstyle and what you think is important for your character
    (+30 End, +25 Crit, +10 Power, +20 Expertise etc). Should be higher than what you could otherwise get elsewhere without completing the mission...
  • Unique Name: You could give it a unique name that fits your character's personality or personal storyline.

Doing it this way would make it feel epic, especially if what you got when you were done not only looked unique and had a unique name, but also provided benefits or bonuses that weren't available anywhere else...

Edited by misterME

As the game is heading more and more into a personal stylistic setting where you will earn high level mods and apply them to your favorite gear as you wish, I got to thinking about the most personal aspect of a Jedi or Sith: Their lightsaber.

As an MMO, it's pretty common to run out and attempt to acquire the new coolest looking weapon and what not. In SWTOR, we really only have the hilts, as the "blade", or crystal color is inter-changable, or will be soon. But for a Star Wars nerd like myself, I enjoy the concept of crafting my very own lightsaber of "my" own design.

Now, you might say "but at the beginning of your class story your Jedi does create his/her own lightsaber!" and sure, they do, well, some of them do. The Sith do not. But regardless, each blade other than the Inquisitors', looks the exact same.

What I'd like to see is a quest chain that allows the Jedi or Sith to go out and collect parts that will result in him building a lightsaber of his/her own design. This could be done in several formats, but basically the game already has numerous designs for lightsaber hilts, and probably more that haven't even been released yet. So at the end of a quest chain, the Jedi/Sith could "put together" the pieces, and basically cycle through the artwork and choose one that they'd like their hilt to look like(Much like Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy).

Strict MMO players will likely not agree with this, as acquisition is of the next big weapon is a huge thing, but considering we're already moving in the direction of acquiring mods rather than being forced to wear gear we dislike the look of; I really don't see why this isn't feasible or undesirable. Most Star Wars fans would probably want to take part in a quest chain of this type.

This would be very nice, it's an awful lot of Dev work though.

It might be easier to just add in more LS model.

This would be very nice, it's an awful lot of Dev work though.

It might be easier to just add in more LS model.

That kinda misses the point. :jawa_tongue:

They can and will add more Lightsaber models to the game over time. But it doesn't give a person the same sense of pride and ownership to have a store-bought or even a quest-won LS that everyone else can eventually have if they run the same FP ten times in a row, or save up to buy it from a vendor.

It's the idea of having something unique. Something you created from scratch, that's truly yours and unique to you.

I don't think this has to stop with Lightsabers, either. There are 8 gun-weilding classes in the game that could have something similar for their weapons, though the feel of the Missions for those needs to be entirely different. But the results should be the same: a Named, unique, custom-built weapon that reflects the character's personality and style.

And it shouldn't be easy...

I too love this idea and agree it should be endgame content. I would love to be able to have a saber creation window like character creation, where you can mix and match and color different pieces, add accents, curve your hilt like Dooku/Ventress etc. Force wielders though shouldn't be the only ones to benefit from this, blasters ought to have a similar feature.

To go with your custom hilt, I'd also like to see custom crystal colors available as well, and not on a color wheel, but thru combining colors with each other (the possibilities could be endless, lol).

Awesome idea... /signed.

If it were an Epic lvl 50 Mission, it would not be to simply design your own Hilt. I would think that you could design it in several important ways:

• Custom Hilt: Choosing and mixing/matching from an assortment of pieces like Pommels, Grips, Caps, Guards, Quillians, Ferrules, etc to create something pretty unique.
  • Custom Hilt Parts Colors: I wouldn't do this on an RBG slider, specifically, but it would be nice to choose from 10 or 12 different colors/patterns for each individualpart of the Hilt.
  • Custom Color Crystal: Use an RBG slider to allow you to create a crystal to your exact color specifications.
  • Custom Stats: Have a set pool of points that you can spend between several stat bonuses, to customize it to your playstyle and what you think is important for your character
    (+30 End, +25 Crit, +10 Power, +20 Expertise etc). Should be higher than what you could otherwise get elsewhere without completing the mission...
  • Unique Name: You could give it a unique name that fits your character's personality or personal storyline.

Doing it this way would make it feel epic, especially if what you got when you were done not only looked unique and had a unique name, but also provided benefits or bonuses that weren't available anywhere else...

These are terrific ideas! LOTRO has a system where you can name your "legacy" weapons. And they actually gain experience points which you can spend in a kind of "weapon talent system". It is pretty cool, though people complain that it is limited in ways, still it is the best I've seen for personalizing weapons. Though unfortunately in the looks department you are kind of stuck with only a few models...

Ooh, I like this. I like this very much.

These are terrific ideas! LOTRO has a system where you can name your "legacy" weapons. And they actually gain experience points which you can spend in a kind of "weapon talent system". It is pretty cool, though people complain that it is limited in ways, still it is the best I've seen for personalizing weapons. Though unfortunately in the looks department you are kind of stuck with only a few models...

That would be cool, though I'd make the unlocks cosmetic only.

IE: You level up your Lightsaber for instance, and you can unlock different color crystals (Keep the same stats) etc.

It was extremely disappointing to me when my sith warrior just took a lightsaber from a corpse and the sith inquisitor just gets a hand me down.

I was expecting BW/LA to make your first lightsaber a completely epic and life changing moment of your characters life. Especially since it's a lightsaber! It is their most prized possession that all other sith/jedi before you have used as an icon of their power.

Which makes your character completely forgettable. I'm an all powerful sith lord of immense power! and I found my lightsaber in the garbage can behind korriban's walmart.

...I'm an all powerful sith lord of immense power! and I found my lightsaber in the garbage can behind korriban's walmart.

^^lol^^

I hope you didn't stop there. I can't even begin to imagine all the treasures (and horrors) one might find in the trash bin behind a Korriban Wal-Mart...

:jawa_wink:

I like the idea but i would like the ability to go to the Armour as well because i dont want to look like every other fully geard lvl 50 sith jugg mabye a vanity system would be a good idea

eg the amour i found at lvl suit my jugg it should give you the option to keep the look and use the stats of that lvl 50 set you picked up.

I like the idea but i would like the ability to go to the Armour as well because i dont want to look like every other fully geard lvl 50 sith jugg mabye a vanity system would be a good idea

eg the amour i found at lvl suit my jugg it should give you the option to keep the look and use the stats of that lvl 50 set you picked up.

I won't argue your point, because I do agree with you. But I think that's an entirely different matter. While a Vanity system would be nice, it's not something that I think we should or would have to perform a special Mission series to unlock.

This instead deals with the almost sacred nature of the lightsaber to a Jedi or Sith (or a blaster to a Smuggler, etc).

Of course, that being said, you could argue that to a Powertech (or whatever the Pub equivalent is), the armor itself would be the sacred thing, and not the weapon...

So I guess then that it might be variable based on class (or even on Advanced Class), where that one defining piece of gear, be it a lightsaber, a blaster, a chestpiece, or whatever, would be the ting they'd quest for at lvl 50 and custom-make from scratch.

Neat.

Edited by misterME