The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Excluding healers, who is your favorite target for Guard in PvP?

bumstah

Mine would have to be Gunslingers.

Most of the gunslingers I see are pretty terrible but once in a blue moon I meet a gunslinger that uses cover very well. I throw a guard on them and I just love watching them blow sh*t up. Their abilities are not interruptible and it's very easy to peel for them if a operative or marauder is on them. I also like them because they just stay in one place and rarely leave the range for Guard. :D

One gunslinger and I defended one side of Voidstar for almost the whole round by ourselves. There were three or four siths just pounding on the gunslinger but he refused to go down. With a little bit of CC and pressure from myself, the gunslinger just kept nuking away. Good times.

How about you guys?

Edited by bumstah

Mine would have to be Gunslingers.

Most of the gunslingers I see are pretty terrible but once in a blue moon I meet a gunslinger that uses cover very well. I throw a guard on them and I just love watching them blow sh*t up. Their abilities are not interruptible and it's very easy to peel for them if a operative or marauder is on them. I also like them because they just stay in one place and rarely leave the range for Guard. :D

One gunslinger and I defended one side of Voidstar for almost the whole round by ourselves. There were three or four siths just pounding on the gunslinger but he refused to go down. With a little bit of CC and pressure from myself, the gunslinger just kept nuking away. Good times.

How about you guys?

As assault in Ion Cell, Gunslingers are good bet.

When specced for Storm, assisting and guarding Sentinels is hard to beat.

I can tell you, I love getting guarded on my Tactics Vanguard by another Vanguard. We're just ripping people up with Ion Pulse, getting in healer's faces.

If people catch on and group up, they get to eat two aoe stuns and some Cryo Grenades on top of major Vanguard AoE. After the stuns, we alternate aoe taunts, it's been some of the best fun I've had.

As assault in Ion Cell, Gunslingers are good bet.

When specced for Storm, assisting and guarding Sentinels is hard to beat.

This.

My buddy and I do this on a regular basis. Sentinels are easy targets w/ dual glow sticks and their DPS outputs. He leaps in the fray and gets in the middle of a melee mess and the baddies often don't realize that he is guarded and that I am just spamming my AOE and single target taunts. Mutually beneficial, he racks up DPS and kills and I rack up protection.

That's an extremely cool thing about SWTOR. Tank classes all have force-taunt skills that (in PvE) force that mob to attack them. In PvP, if you force-taunt a player they do 30% less damage to any player but you. So although you don't completely block their damage, you can severely decrease it.

AFAIK, all tank classes have the same taunts. One single-target taunt on a 15s CD, and one (unlimited target?) AoE taunt on a 60s CD. They both last 6 seconds. So you can stand in the middle of a melee zerg, hit your AoE taunt, and then laugh as they all do 30% less damage for 6s.

And to make it even better, the damage you prevent goes towards your protection total. So if they would have done 1k damage, they'll do 700 and you'll get 300 protection points.

SWTOR is the first game I've played to really integrate tanking into PvP, and I love it.

That's an extremely cool thing about SWTOR. Tank classes all have force-taunt skills that (in PvE) force that mob to attack them. In PvP, if you force-taunt a player they do 30% less damage to any player but you. So although you don't completely block their damage, you can severely decrease it.

AFAIK, all tank classes have the same taunts. One single-target taunt on a 15s CD, and one (unlimited target?) AoE taunt on a 60s CD. They both last 6 seconds. So you can stand in the middle of a melee zerg, hit your AoE taunt, and then laugh as they all do 30% less damage for 6s.

And to make it even better, the damage you prevent goes towards your protection total. So if they would have done 1k damage, they'll do 700 and you'll get 300 protection points.

SWTOR is the first game I've played to really integrate tanking into PvP, and I love it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You know I feel like a complete idiot. I thought any sort of taunting was useless in PvP but I'm reading that there's a system that allows this feature to work. This entire time I didn't know that. :(

Ok as for Vanguard, when I want to debuff I'll use Ion Pulse and Explosive surge. Those are my taunts right? The abilities that say "decreases enemies damage"? Or are there a few others that I'm missing or maybe an ability called "taunt" that's unlocked from placing certain skill points into an ability?

Smoke grenade I believe is another one right?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. You know I feel like a complete idiot. I thought any sort of taunting was useless in PvP but I'm reading that there's a system that allows this feature to work. This entire time I didn't know that. :(

Ok as for Vanguard, when I want to debuff I'll use Ion Pulse and Explosive surge. Those are my taunts right? The abilities that say "decreases enemies damage"? Or are there a few others that I'm missing or maybe an ability called "taunt" that's unlocked from placing certain skill points into an ability?

Smoke grenade I believe is another one right?

Neural Jolt (Single target) taunt, in pvp reduces player damage to anyone but you by 30%

Sonic Round (Your target and all enemies within a short range of it) taunt, in pvp reduces player damage to anyone but you by 30%

Smoke grenade reduces the accuracy of those affected by 20% (ranged/melee attacks only) this makes it only really useful against sith warriors(both ac's), mercenaries and snipers

Ion Pulse and Explosive Surge apply a debuff the reduces the damage of the affected target('s) by ..4%?

Neural Jolt (Single target) taunt, in pvp reduces player damage to anyone but you by 30%

Sonic Round (Your target and all enemies within a short range of it) taunt, in pvp reduces player damage to anyone but you by 30%

^^^^^^ nice job.

Taunts do not consume ammo or a global cooldown. Use them ALL THE TIME. They get you medals and save your buddies! There is no downside, except when you use them you have to wait for them to be up again! (Q__Q)

Note : to my knowledge they do not stack with each other, but do stack with guard.

Regards

Other tanks, they stay in range, rotate taunts, stuns, interrupts, and we focus fire same target. Works well with a scoundrel too most people will still focus them even through guard out of habit I guess. Also harpooning a tracer spammer or sorc into a vanguard/scoundrel focus fire will chew them up really fast.

^^^^^^ nice job.

Taunts do not consume ammo or a global cooldown. Use them ALL THE TIME. They get you medals and save your buddies! There is no downside, except when you use them you have to wait for them to be up again! (Q__Q)

Note : to my knowledge they do not stack with each other, but do stack with guard.

Regards

The other thing is, if you have the ability, taunt the correct targets.

Like, don't waste a taunt on a healer, or someone already attacking you.

If I get heals, I switch guard around to whoever gets enemy attention (usually healers or peeps at 50% hp or less tend to draw more attention). If am not healed, then I just guard peeps who are actively pursuing game objectives (ie guarding turret / door, or carrying ball).