So if SWTOR runs on the Heroengine then.....

karnyboy

Unless you think it's realisticly feasable to program a game with tech and tools that doesn't exist yet.

So, by extension, if people would start to realize that this MMO is not going to compete with 2012 products, its a 2008 product and should be compared to the feature sets, end game, etc... for that time period... that answers a lot.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give them time. :)

If they wanted to put in all the stuff that we'd love to have in the game, we'd probably still be waiting for the game now. :)

MMO's need to be given time to build up steam, then the improvements start rolling in. Once they're comfortable with how the game runs, then we'll probably start seeing additional features. There's a lot of stuff which needs to be resolved before they start bringing in extra's which could end up causing more headaches for players, even if you've got a system that can run all these fancy features with ease, if they introduce it too quickly then it becomes more of a hindrance than a benefit. :)

hahaha 6 years id say was enough time.

They are not limited by the engine. Think of the hero engine as a base, but those parts can be completely swapped out. Bioware can re write code, add code and modify code. All they wanted was a frame work to start on. Don't listen to all the idiots crying saying because of the engine this game can't do X & Y. They can do whatever they want with the engine...its evolving. 5 years from now, you will see this.

No one in their right mind will use that excrement in 5 years. With all the better engines constantly evolving... Unreal Tech... CryENGINE... id Tech.

Past is prologue...

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/

They won the lawsuit.

"In May 2008, 'EA_Spouse' blog author Erin Hoffman, speaking to videogame industry news site Gamasutra, stated that EA had made significant progress, but may now be falling into old patterns again. Hoffman said that "I think EA is tremendously reformed, having made some real strong efforts to get the right people into their human resources department," and "I've been hearing from people who have gotten overtime pay there and I think that makes a great deal of difference. In fact, I've actually recommended to a few people I know to apply for jobs there," but also claims that she's begun to hear "horror stories" once again."

So what? They had crappy HR and got nailed for a wrongful termination ro whatever. That has nothing to do with gameplay, game design, etc. You a former EA employee too? Way to introduce irrelevant, tangential crap in an attempt to color people's perceptions of the actual issues. Kudos.

I can just hear the complaints now...

"Every time I go back to Coruscant, it's RAINING! Please get rid of the rain so I can enjoy myself. It feels like Seattle."

"Great job, BioWare. My first visit to Coruscant, and it's night time and it's raining. Great warm feeling."

Was it ever actually raining in any of the Star Wars movies?

Also, just because it was an artistic decision made at one point doesn't mean it can't change. The world designers will need some more time to develop the night-time aspect of the planet and get those tweaked properly, as well.

And that isn't as easy as just flipping it to "night" and walking through. If you've got a moving sun and moving lighting, you'll need to spend quite a bit of time looking at the various areas through all of the iterations of the day and night to make sure the shadows aren't overdone and lights are where they need to be.

I say give 'em time. Let them know you want it, but give them time.

I'd love to have varying day and night cycles. And I'd love to have some weather effects. Would all players? I'm not sure.

No one in their right mind will use that excrement in 5 years. With all the better engines constantly evolving... Unreal Tech... CryENGINE... id Tech.

CryEngine 2 can barely handle 50+ people in the same close area. God forbid they have customizable clothing on...

They are not limited by the engine. Think of the hero engine as a base, but those parts can be completely swapped out. Bioware can re write code, add code and modify code. All they wanted was a frame work to start on. Don't listen to all the idiots crying saying because of the engine this game can't do X & Y. They can do whatever they want with the engine...its evolving. 5 years from now, you will see this.

Funny you mention that. In an interview done ages ago (after opening the forums), one of the developers was talking about the engine, and having code updates and asset updates and content updates and voice acting updates all in one giant ball of doomy doom, and how they basically had to FREEZE the engine and stop updating it in order to be able to get the rest done, because tracking what broke what when so much is in a state of flux became night impossible.

Didn't mention when engine updating was unfrozen, if at all. Would explain why some of the features Hero Engine advertises are nowhere to be found in this game.

So what? They had crappy HR and got nailed for a wrongful termination ro whatever. That has nothing to do with gameplay, game design, etc. You a former EA employee too? Way to introduce irrelevant, tangential crap in an attempt to color people's perceptions of the actual issues. Kudos.

Working conditions do matter when working on a product. You can turn a blind eye all you want in regard to the issue.

"Ben Schachter cited factors such as "the continued talent drain of key management..."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-downgraded-to-neutral-at-macquarie-2012-02-10

Edited by Sizzurps

Working conditions do matter when working on a product. You can turn a blind eye all you want in regard to the issue.

"Ben Schachter cited factors such as "the continued talent drain of key management..."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-downgraded-to-neutral-at-macquarie-2012-02-10

That was then, this is now.

EA Louse looks to be a pissed of fired guy.

PLus, like I said, what he said doesn't matter. He rants mostly about warhammer. YES, we know warhammer sucked.

...Where is this?

HeroEngine’s powerful new Environmental Schemes allow developers complete control of their game environment.

Dynamic weather including rain

Environmental effects including lightning

Atmospheric effects including clouds, stars, and moonlight

lol, does it say anything about high res textures? :p

...Where is this?

HeroEngine’s powerful new Environmental Schemes allow developers complete control of their game environment.

This is not WoW. Dynamic weather and environmental effects ruins the community.

So, by extension, if people would start to realize that this MMO is not going to compete with 2012 products, its a 2008 product and should be compared to the feature sets, end game, etc... for that time period... that answers a lot.

It's more complicated than that. Some things can feasibly be changed during development, some can't. Also, remember that many of the games coming out now have taken different amounts of time to come to market. For example Call of Duty has looked roughly the same for the past 5 years or so. Battlefield 3 looks the way it does because one of their main concentrations was to build a beautiful engine, which you could see was iterated over the Bad Company games. The main concentration for SWTOR was to build an MMO with a lot of content for leveling (hence their current lack of endgame, but that's a different discussion) that still looks good compared to other MMOs.

Everything is a tradeoff. They could have spent a massive amount of effort making the game look as beautiful as possible but other areas would be sorely lacking. There are certain things you have to pick and just stick with it. You could also argue that Minecraft would look better with textures that are bigger than 16x16, and a world that is more varied than different colored blocks. In this case, they chose specific atmospheres for each of the planets and stuck with it for launch.

They do have rain and snow already, by the way.

Edit: Went back and added a couple small points I forgot to mention the first time.

Edited by MillionsKNives

...Where is this?

sounds alot like dromund kaas 0_o

It's more complicated than that. Some things can feasibly be changed during development, some can't. Also, remember that many of the games coming out now have taken different amounts of time to come to market. For example Call of Duty has looked roughly the same for the past 5 years or so. Battlefield 3 looks the way it does because one of their main concentrations was to build a beautiful engine, which you could see was iterated over the Bad Company games. The main concentration for SWTOR was to build an MMO with a lot of content for leveling (hence their current lack of endgame, but that's a different discussion) that still looks good compared to other MMOs.

Everything is a tradeoff. They could have spent a massive amount of effort making the game look as beautiful as possible but other areas would be sorely lacking. There are certain things you have to pick and just stick with it. You could also argue that Minecraft would look better with textures that are bigger than 16x16, and a world that is more varied than different colored blocks. In this case, they chose specific atmospheres for each of the planets and stuck with it for launch.

Edit: Went back and added a couple small points I forgot to mention the first time.

Thank you for taking the time to write this out since I did not have the motivation to.

Very well put. I applaud you.