Datacrons?

Sophikos

So, is there any sort of bonus to getting the datacrons other than their stat bonus? Just wondering if I, as a Shadow, should waste my time with aim or cunning datacrons just for the sake of "getting them all". Is there any benefit to doing this or should I just skip unnecessary ones? Edited by Sophikos

So, is there any sort of bonus to getting the datacrons other than their stat bonus? Just wondering if I, as a Shadow, should waste my time with aim or cunning datacrons just for the sake of "getting them all". Is there any benefit to doing this or should I just skip unnecessary ones?

You get codex entries from finding datacrons. Matrix shards can also combine to give you a decent stat relic. If you rather not waste too much time, just get the datacrons that benefit you the most and ignore cunning/aim datacrons as they will be of little value to your Shadow.

Gee i dunno, do it for the enjoyment of exploring the game and figuring it out rather than just thotbotting their locations and routes.

(though some are realistically impossible to resolve through exploration. No way any group would spend the time and 'figure out' the 10+ cube, its simplt too complex and wide spread)

Gee i dunno, do it for the enjoyment of exploring the game and figuring it out rather than just thotbotting their locations and routes.

(though some are realistically impossible to resolve through exploration. No way any group would spend the time and 'figure out' the 10+ cube, its simplt too complex and wide spread)

Some group had to figure it out originally.

Thanks guys, I love exploring and I love the lore behind SWTOR, but as this is not my first character, I think I realized I didn't have any need to get the datacrons like Aim and Cunning. Unless of course there was some sort of crazy end game datacron you could get for collecting them all.

Thier a Video on Youtube on how to get the + 10 Cubes (imp)

I have all the Datacrons for Empire on my Scorc. The truth is that it does help to get the Datacrons which are not in your primary stats. The mechanics of the game to not differentiate between classes and powers. So a Sorc Healer and a Bounty Hunter Healer are using the same healing mechanic, but different main stats powering that heal. However if you look over your character sheet for the healing output you should see sections for the stats you are not focused on included. Thus if you add to those stats you are increasing your potential, if only by a little tiny bit.

Aim for a Sorc is useless tho in all cases, because they are always auto hit with everything. But i got them all anyway cept the bugged one you have to walk a light beam to get to, I wasn't willing to beat my head on the workaround that ultimately is a graphical exploit not intended.

No. Those Datacrons are annoying and boring but because they add up theyre basically something we have to get. Soon as I finish leveling my alt im farming those stupid things just to get them over with and fully plan to use a guide to minimize the amount of boredom im bound to have collecting them all.

Others have mentioned these, but to summarize and expand (in no particular order):

1. If you are not at level cap, you get XP for each datacron you find.
  2. There is a Codex entry for each datacron with historic information. Getting all the Codex entries is an accomplishment some would find enjoyable.
  3. Many of the datacrons are a challenge to get. Finding them is a minigame of its own.
  4. Willpower is the primary stat for a Shadow. Cunning and Aim do not affect anything a Shadow uses, but Strength affects melee damage, and Shadows do melee damage. A Sage does less melee, but they do have some melee attacks, so the same would be true of these stats for a Sage. The opposite should be true for the Knight advanced classes (Strength first, but Willpower helpful). Aim and Cunning should work the same way for Troopers and Smugglers.
  5. Presence increases companion effectiveness. This is useful for all classes.
  6. Some datacrons require more than one person. Even those that don't may be easier to get (e.g., getting through mobs or creative use of push and pull abilities) with two people. Helping someone get to their datacron is a great incentive to get them to help you get to yours.
  7. Some datacrons have matrix shards rather than stat increases. Matrix shards can be combined to create Relics. The relic can also be disassembled to recover the Matrix shards to allow you to create a different relic.

There are varying benefits to collecting datacrons other than your primary stat. Basically as a Shadow, you gain the most benefits from Willpower, Strength, Presence, and Matrix Shards. Aim and Cunning are only beneficial for XP and the Codex entries. If those two things are not important to you, you could safely skip the Aim and Cunning ones. Each class would find the same true, just for different datacrons. However, my main is a Shadow as well, and I still consider them all worth grabbing. If nothing else, they serve as an interesting distraction from questing and runnin instances.

I thought all primary stats gave a small boost to crit %. Not in a position where I can track down a source to verify that at the moment though...

They give a boost to crit for the type of attack they focus on. For instance, Willpower affects Force based attacks; therefore, it increases damage and crit from Force attacks. Strength affects melee attacks; therefore, it increases damage and crit from Melee attacks.

A Shadow's primary stat is Willpower. However, some of their attacks are melee, so Strength factors into a Shadow's melee damage, including their melee crit rate. The same is true of a Sage to a lesser degree since they do less melee.

On the other hand, a Counsular (Shadow or Sage) do no Tech or Ranged damage. So Aim and Cunning, which increase those damage types, would have no effect on a Consular.

I am not aware of any increase in general crit chance from all primary stats, only the crit chance of the type of damage they are focused on.