So I got an invite to the guild leader summit...

joykill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really really really really shocked that EA/Bioware isn't flipping the Bill for the Travel expenses...

I mean, shame shame.

What looked like a golden PR Stunt and olive branch to the community is now more of a...well, It's kind of Mickey Mouse.

They did a guild summit before, where they did apparantly pay everyone's expenses. But that raised concern that the summit was "too exclusive". Now they are saying: "Okay, we invite people that we will pay the expenses for, but you can also submit an application if you'll pay. We also arrange accommodations at the guild summit location that may make things cheaper for you."

I think that's a fair deal.

---

I hope everything works out. Don't forget to make the travel visa arrangements. (Or rather, visa waiver arrangements). Not sure how long it takes to clear those. Or maybe you don't need to do that (if you're actually an American citizen just working abroad?).

Travel Passport will also be important. If you have been in some countries the US may have on a watch list, you may even want to have a new one to make sure you don't have any trouble getting in. May be unnecessary (especially with the Visa waiver - they may check stuff that goes beyond a stamp in your passport, I have no idea.)

Edited by MustrumRidcully

Hah! I wish you lots of luck in your endeavour! :)

@Pinkpants: You're blunt and I totally don't share your oppinion. It never was your spot anyway. There will be more than enough americans at the summit. Every european, who actually makes it, is a nessecary member at the summit. European oppinions will be represented too little anyway.

Well, thank you all for the support, but the trip will unfortunately not happen. I asked Bioware, who couldnt help me. Six major gaming sites have answered, one wanted me to go on my own coin and then maybe buy the coverage. The others already had people going, so no go there.

The last option for me would be to ask people for money through paypal or something similar, but I believe you should do this instead: take that money, buy your favorite beverage, food, snacks and whatever, check out the live coverage of the event that BW are going to broadcast, and enjoy it yourself. One person going might be very cool, but a whole bunch of people enjoying themselves is about as many times cooler as there are people involved ;)

It bothers me that a once in a lifetime opportunity is passing me by, but knowing that I have done everything I possible can inside the boundaries of the law to be able to attend I will not grieve this lost experience.

This invitation only summit cultivates an environment of discontent among the customers. It will make a lot of customers feel left out. Whole guilds will feel overlooked or undeserving. Perception is the key to good marketing. I think some sort of meeting should have been held online using the very tools we play with.

Oh, I think you should have thought about it before you requested to go.

Edited by Derfmiolleh

This invitation only summit cultivates an environment of discontent among the customers. It will make a lot of customers feel left out. Whole guilds will feel overlooked or undeserving. Perception is the key to good marketing. I think some sort of meeting should have been held online using the very tools we play with.

Oh, I think you should have thought about it before you requested to go.

They have already stated that it will be streamed and people will be able to participate online.

Read up about it from the blog... http://www.swtor.com/blog/guild-summit-update

I have to say, I think the guy (girl?) saying that if you knew you would have no means of raising the cash, maybe you should have reconsidered applying, has a point. If you can't attend you should let BioWare know in time for them to give your spot to someone who can - in good time for them to make travel arrangements, i.e. pick a cut off point of a week in advance and if you haven't got the money together by then accept that you're not going and let someone else have a shot rather than cancelling at the last minute.

I also applied before I knew where the money was coming from, difference being I had a very realistic chance of being able to borrow it (and pay it back within a couple of months) if the opportunity arose, but unfortunately I'm on the wait list too.

At the end of the day you should have had a bit more of a plan in place here. It's not impossible to raise the money but I think you have some hard work ahead of you and you need to be quite hard on yourself about picking a cut off point so that your spot doesn't go to waste. For example, if I found out today that I had a place I would have time to borrow the money, book the time of work, book flights from the UK and reserve accommodation - I would get that all sorted within 24 hours of getting the invite. If it became immediately apparent that there was a spanner in the works (like my boss refusing to give me the time off) I would be in a position to go back to BioWare within 24 hours and decline my invitation. That means the next person on the wait list finds out they have a spot the next day, not two weeks later.

However, if someone drops out a day before the event because they applied knowing they didn't have the money to get there and procrastinated for weeks in the hope that something would magically turn up, and I get a message from BioWare the day before the event inviting me to take their place, well, it would be too late to get the money, the time off work or the reservations and I would be kind of pissed at that person for not being more realistic and basically hogging a spot until the last minute when it was only useful to someone who can drive there.

It's frustrating when people 'hog' spots that could have gone to people to whom they meant more just because they decided it would be a laugh to apply (NOTE I am not saying the OP is doing this, I'm saying that is how it could very easily be read). I've had this feeling before when finding out that someone I know got tickets to a gig I really wanted to go to and didn't really care about it whereas I would have given my left kneecap to get through the phone-lines. Or trying to get a festival ticket, not managing to get one via even the website or the phone (despite using three phones and two computers to try) and then seeing them on scalping sites 20 minutes later for twice the price - in fact I think that's why whenever I see scalpers at sold out gigs part of me just wants to rip their hearts out so they can see how black they are before I stomp on them with my gig boots. I remember being at a Foo Fighters gig in Hyde Park once where the VIP area took up half the allocated space and all the people at the front of the regular zone could see was people sat on the grass, ignoring the band that we had paid £50 to see... from a very great distance. There is a feeling of 'if you decided to do this on a whim and got a place over someone that would have given their eye teeth to have this experience, well they're going to think you're a bit of a jerk'. That's perfectly normal.

TL:DR: you should have thought about this a bit more before deciding to apply, so don't be too surprised people who really wanted to go are pissed at you. If you haven't got it worked out a week before the start date, let BioWare know you aren't going so someone else has a shot.

Edited by Amonette

Apparently people still can't read so I'll summarize:

The OP in his application told Bioware that he couldn't go. Bioware invited him anyway. Nobody in this thread knows the method for putting people from the waiting list onto the invite list (for example the OP's guild was small, the jerk's guild larger, euro/american).

Wild speculation that in the end means nothing except somebody looks like a total jerk...and I suspect is......

Apparently people still can't read so I'll summarize:

The OP in his application told Bioware that he couldn't go. Bioware invited him anyway. Nobody in this thread knows the method for putting people from the waiting list onto the invite list (for example the OP's guild was small, the jerk's guild larger, euro/american).

Wild speculation that in the end means nothing except somebody looks like a total jerk...and I suspect is......

You're right any speculation is inherntly evil and must be stopped at all costs!! ;)

Seriously though, considering how aggravated people get in this game over taking an item you can't use for a virtual Jedi, taking something real you cant use is likely to be worse :)

Thank you for all the friendly feedback!

I would like to put an end to the "if you knew you couldnt go you shouldnt have applied":

1. Like I have already stated: BW knew about my situation, and they invited me anyway

2. Even without my participation, there would be no replacements called (I might be breaching some kind of agreement by saying this): in the preliminary schedule sent out, it was clearly stated that BW had a few spots over for bringing a friend. TO ME this means they have gotten the people they want to the event, and are not planning to fill the spots with other applicants. Note that this is my interpretation, not something BW said.

I feel I have done everything I can to get to Austin, and it is just a shame I couldnt come up with a solution. It would have been so cool to do a coverage for you guys; even though BW has one, it is not from a player PoV.

There is a red light on the finishing stretch: the taxes for the flight are insane, and as of a few hours ago I am desperately trying to find other means to work this out.

This is probably too late, but sometimes, not flying from an airport nearby in your country but another - even with the additional cost for getting there - can cheapen the flight.

I live in the North-Western region of Germany, and it can be cheaper to get to the Netherlands and fly from Amsterdam than use a German airport.

Edited by MustrumRidcully

My guild leader lives 10 mins away from Bioware's office, and has acquaintances within the SWTOR staff team at Bioware. For the record, he was waitlisted as well, in spite of the fact that he doesn't need food, room or transportation...parking, maybe, but that's all.

To all the haters on the OP, I'd recommend to take it in stride, and give him a break - he was just trying to solution travel arrangements. OP - sorry your current situation doesn't look promising.

Edited by Dodd

You keep making the same assumption over and over again. I can't make it any simpler for you. The fact that he was invited does not equate to you not being invited.

Magnu - you have no idea what you are talking about. If you do not plan on going, you do not post or solicit a spot. If you have a means to go, then solicit a spot. Its like going to the prom with no date which sounds like you might have done that. lol

Our guild could have had representation as well as others but it was taken by those who did not have the means. This is not right if you do not get that concept then you truly do not get it.

You did a poor job then!

he did a fantastic job actually. he was blunt and to the point. Didn't insult the poster in any manner, and clearly stated what I was thinking after reading the post.

More people need to stop sugar coating things.

Magnu - you have no idea what you are talking about. If you do not plan on going, you do not post or solicit a spot. If you have a means to go, then solicit a spot. Its like going to the prom with no date which sounds like you might have done that. lol

Our guild could have had representation as well as others but it was taken by those who did not have the means. This is not right if you do not get that concept then you truly do not get it.

You guild could not have had representation: if so, BW would have told me "thank you for your interest, we will give your spot to the next applicant on the list" when I told them I didnt have the means to go. Instead they still sent me the invite, when they (as an example) could easily have given Dodds GL the spot since it would be a minimum of hassle and at NO COST. Still they didnt.

It pisses me off that people cannot get it into their heads that BW probably had reasons for inviting some and rejecting others; it was not announced as a first come, first serve event, and it was definitely not announced as a "we want as many as possible to attend" event.

My application was deemed worthy in spite of me stating I did not have the means to go. Your guild's application was not, even though your representative was able to go. That tells me something in my application > something in your application. Get over it.

Really?? Joy?? You do not get it. It is inapproriate to send a request if you do not intend to go...therefore your whole argument does not hold weight at all.

It is sad you sent an application and intended on not going. If you do not get it then I feel sorry for you.

And you are probably are someone that would apply for a home loan because you can but cannot afford the payment. (exactly how people get themselves in trouble) It has nothing to with the application. Trust me. It was a math thing. Otherwise, I would like to meet you personally so you can write my next resume. LOL

Good luck

Deuber.

You guild could not have had representation: if so, BW would have told me "thank you for your interest, we will give your spot to the next applicant on the list" when I told them I didnt have the means to go. Instead they still sent me the invite, when they (as an example) could easily have given Dodds GL the spot since it would be a minimum of hassle and at NO COST. Still they didnt.

It pisses me off that people cannot get it into their heads that BW probably had reasons for inviting some and rejecting others; it was not announced as a first come, first serve event, and it was definitely not announced as a "we want as many as possible to attend" event.

My application was deemed worthy in spite of me stating I did not have the means to go. Your guild's application was not, even though your representative was able to go. That tells me something in my application > something in your application. Get over it.

Edited by Deuber

It may also have been decided on very small metrics, guild size, geographic location, server type etc... the fact they let applications through from people who couldn't attend does rather point to them being less than thorough. Didn't they pre-qualify the applications with you must pay your own way?

That said, there was a live stream that you could watch from the comfort of your couch :)

Edited by spoonguy

joykill i really wish you could go. you sound like the type of person whom i would like to guild and or group with. too many of those that have subtlely or directly infered you took thier spot come across as spoiled brats. it is really sad.

people will always apply to events, jobs, contests and etc thinking they wont ever win and do so at a whim or for the experience. this one is no differant. people are just upset because you "won" and they didnt.

x