Star Trek online vs TOR (READ)

Klannad

Do you really think the new games released will be a more finished state when they release!

Most new games take a while to settle down and get things right. Give the devs a chance and give them some constructive feedback that doesnt contain the words "WOW does this or some other MMPORG does that"

The only thing that will happen when the new ones come out is the forum will be a nice place with all the moaners gone!

I'll willing to bet anything that TERA and GW2 are more finished/polished/feature heavy than SWTOR.

Bioware's MMORPG division (Formerly Mythic, with a little help from Bioware Edmonton who did DA) let them down.

The stories, when you look at them subjectively, aren't that great either. They are childish and cartoonish. Emotional scenes are just plain bad. There is no connection to the game-world at all.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game is now out "a while now" so yes ofcourse it's more polished.

I was playing a couple of nights ago, a KDF character, and was doing one of the missions - Bringing Down the House, I believe is the name - and at one point I was stymied by a very annoying bug. An annoying bug that had stymied me back in 2010 when I played that same mission on an earlier KDF character. I googled it, and found the old STO forum thread in which a Cryptic dev had said he/she would look into that annoying bug and take care of it.

One of those, "They meant it when they said it so technically it's not a lie!" deals for which Cryptic is infamous.

So, more polished? Maybe in some areas. In others, not so much.

PS: Free the Horta!!!

I'll willing to bet anything that TERA and GW2 are more finished/polished/feature heavy than SWTOR.

Bioware's MMORPG division (Formerly Mythic, with a little help from Bioware Edmonton who did DA) let them down.

The stories, when you look at them subjectively, aren't that great either. They are childish and cartoonish. Emotional scenes are just plain bad. There is no connection to the game-world at all.

Tera , failed in the Asian market and they are now trying to release it here in America , So I would be weary with Tera . but you already have your heart set and I wish you well with those games .

Edited by powergirl

Only time will tell......

I dont really agree on the story, I enjoyed it. I will admit the voice acting and stuff in some bit was a little wodden but no worse that some of the stuff you will see in the next hollywood blockbuster at the cinema.

I havent had any issue with connecting to the game world, but maybe we look for different things from the game which is fair enough. For me I have found a good guild and enjoy the social aspect of doing stuff in a group and also trying the earn the high level items.

Maybe when I get everything I'm looking to get I will start to feel different but then there are always other classes or a different faction to try out.

This game will not be for everyone but it works for me

Trust me when I say when STO just came out it was a game full of bugs and so annoying to play I tossed it in a dark corner.

That game is now out "a while now" so yes ofcourse it's more polished.

Give SWTOR the same time STO had on polishing it and then come make a comparison.

Hope you are right,

Star trek online was not a great game when it came out but it has improved.

For those who thought space combat was bad on here, you should have seen how bad ground combat was on star trek(though the pvp ground game was good) it redefined the term horrific.

PvP was grossly imbalanced in favour of the klingons. Again, issues with stealth classes. That always seems to be the key problem.

The missions were incredibly repetative.

2 years on, its free to play and its improved. 2 years from now star wars will have improved, and if its free to play, awsome.

I have to agree with some of the above posters regarding upcoming game

launches. Sometimes the defenders of SWTOR remind me of the defenders

of Age of Conan. There the defenders managed to spam gaming sites to

get AoC a game of the year when it was launched completely unfinished

and nearly unplayable even on high end computers. The game didn't get

any major overhaul until after subscriptions dropped to critical and the

first expansion was released a year later. But here is the rub....

When people say you can't compare this game to STO, you are wrong in one

respect. The same respect as comparing it to AoC. As subscriptions fall and

money is spent on other games, most people can only afford one at a time.

If you have the luxury of paying out for multiple MMO subs than good for you.

Most can't or won't. And simply focusing on so called AAA titles is being blind

to just how good free to play games are getting. And some of the AAA crossovers

to free to play add even more to that. Does STO suck? well thats up to you to decide.

I love the features of STO but don't like the game for personal preference. I'm just

not trekkie/trekker whatever to get into it.

SWTOR was launched incomplete. Its a fact. BW and EA and possibly even LA

sat back and said screw it. Its Star Wars. It had lightsabers. They will buy it

and all the fanatics that throw stones at GL will eat it up while complaining with

their enormous mouths full. Cos it's Star Wars. Just like the suits behind STO

did for Trek fans.

When SWTOR hits it's quarterly it will have begun being overwelmed by much bigger

titles. And Lucas won't free to play it. A smarter move would have been to keep

SWG alive and forget all about Clone Wars Adventures, but they want that for the

kiddies a la Toon Ville.

What BW needs to do is stop being so silent and start actually showing what they are

planning in real terms and giving real ETAs on content the game was supposed to

launch with. Like the Legacy system. A short video showing virtually nothing is

still nothing. Leaving players to guess at just what they are seeing is so poor it's

not even funny.

But you can't blame BW. You can blame EA and LA. Lucas Arts has never really

released a decent Star Wars games and had to license them out. They still own

the IP and all the say that goes into it. As well as full marketing rights to the IP.

In reality its the entire gaming organization thats at fault. Whether its EA or

Activision. They all see dollar signs for the first 3 to 6 months and move on.

Its sad but true. They break up dev teams and re assign them or can them

all together. EA is notorious for that. They cut funding to CSRs (Funcom I'm

looking at you) andin SWTOR's case, do they really exist here at all?

Bottom line is it's your money, folks.

And in the end, no upcoming game will kill whats there. YOU will when you put

your money somewhere else. Or... if you decide to save for that new 800 inch

plasma TV and just play a free to play for a while.

Just my two cents.

~ Izzy :)

GW2 is massively overrated and going to be nothing special. SWTOR and STO are 2 different animals. SWTOR's a pure ground combat game with minimal space emphasis while STO is a space combat game with ground combat only involved via a mission on football field or 2 size area of some unknown random planet. People like to bring up Tera but Tera is never going to see the light of day after NCsoft is done with them.

Having first hand experience of the long discussed STO launch, I can safeley say this: The only thing STO and TOR have in common are they run on PC.....any other comparison is flawed.

1) Cryptic Studios took an epic IP, promised the world and delivered half a game (1 bareley working faction). Imagine only playing Republic?

2) Thousands of klingon fans/players jumped ship when Cryptic finally told the truth, despite fanbois spouting otherwise for months that the Klingon faction would have NO PVE CONTENT. Can you imagine a PvP only Empire faction?

3) STO was delivered to an eager public in 18-24 months.........put that alongside the dev time for STO.........

4) Space combat in STO is ok, but thats it.....its basically starfleet command but not as good. At launch ground combat was a joke, with ground pvp still gimped now.

(A side note here, people say it was unbalanced in favor of the klingon faction etc but what they do not realise is that Klingon players (inc myself) HAD to PvP and it showed, cause we regularly bounced the feds, the QQ was great :)).

Space and ground in TOR are chalk and cheese to STO, well done, although not what we would all like, it has polish and scope.

Cryptic ruined the IP and franky it was said 2 years back by myself and many others that it would dwindle and fail....and so here we are, STO is circling the plug hole and TOR has launched (quite a good launch too, if past MMo's are anything to go by).

TLDNR: Cant compare STO to Cryptic because Cryptic stuffed STO good and proper, at least BW did the IP justice and are not cash grabbing us every week., you wanna see a badly designed game and a ruthless company, see STO>>>>>>>>

The truth is, SWTOR simply doesn't have the time.

It won't flourish, or even survive after TERA and GW2 are launched. TERA will soak up a lot of players because of the Pay Subscription service (Same as SWTOR, therefore people are only likely to play one)

GW2 is going to suck up a lot more. The PvPers will love it, and the casuals will love it because it is immensely fun and dynamic. It's very, very immersive as well, so RolePlayers will love it.

Honestly, SWTOR feels like a game that should have come out in 2007 or so. The story won't hold up, because so many other MMORPGS coming out are going to focus on story a lot, as well.

And then you have Secret World that will most likely take less than those 2, but will certainly have it's own impact.

They simply let out to much. Their first-impression wasn't great, and it really doesn't have any holding power.

oh good you are being honest. I wasn't going to believe you until you said that.

But since you said you were being honest well then everything you said must be the truth.

Good to know you are honest about how you feel about this game.

I'm sure both Tera and GW2 will do fine but to say they will kill off SWTOR is just crazy.

I was just using trek as a refrence as it is what is usually compared with star wars. The fact of the matter is this. The game was rushed. the game is broken. Some say GW2 is overhyped. thats not true at all. And even if it is, atleast arena net can deliever. I'm not saying GW2 will be flawless, but the difference between swtor and gw2 is that their respective publishers will allow the developers the time they need. If that were allowed for SWTOR, we would be playing a much better game. But of course, we get an uncompleted game. Again, not that its terrible, it was just way overhyped. MMO of the year? Yeah, right. I still have hope for this game, it may be good. But if they continue to ignore the game base, I promise you, this game will fail. They've met their objective in getting everyone to play the game. If they truly dont care (which I hope they dont) they will just continue to collect money until this tor-tanic sinks.

oh good you are being honest. I wasn't going to believe you until you said that.

But since you said you were being honest well then everything you said must be the truth.

Good to know you are honest about how you feel about this game.

I'm sure both Tera and GW2 will do fine but to say they will kill off SWTOR is just crazy.

Define your definition of "kill off". We'll work from that.

Having first hand experience of the long discussed STO launch, I can safeley say this: The only thing STO and TOR have in common are they run on PC.....any other comparison is flawed.

1) Cryptic Studios took an epic IP, promised the world and delivered half a game (1 bareley working faction). Imagine only playing Republic?

2) Thousands of klingon fans/players jumped ship when Cryptic finally told the truth, despite fanbois spouting otherwise for months that the Klingon faction would have NO PVE CONTENT. Can you imagine a PvP only Empire faction?

3) STO was delivered to an eager public in 18-24 months.........put that alongside the dev time for STO.........

4) Space combat in STO is ok, but thats it.....its basically starfleet command but not as good. At launch ground combat was a joke, with ground pvp still gimped now.

(A side note here, people say it was unbalanced in favor of the klingon faction etc but what they do not realise is that Klingon players (inc myself) HAD to PvP and it showed, cause we regularly bounced the feds, the QQ was great :)).

Space and ground in TOR are chalk and cheese to STO, well done, although not what we would all like, it has polish and scope.

Cryptic ruined the IP and franky it was said 2 years back by myself and many others that it would dwindle and fail....and so here we are, STO is circling the plug hole and TOR has launched (quite a good launch too, if past MMo's are anything to go by).

TLDNR: Cant compare STO to Cryptic because Cryptic stuffed STO good and proper, at least BW did the IP justice and are not cash grabbing us every week., you wanna see a badly designed game and a ruthless company, see STO>>>>>>>>

They CAN be compared. I'm not talking about actual gameplay, obviously. I was comparing them in terms of improvement. STO has improved, and, in my opinion, more playable than TOR. My point was this: If TOR can make HALF the improvements STO has, it will succeed. If it doesn't, TOR will fail.

They CAN be compared. I'm not talking about actual gameplay, obviously. I was comparing them in terms of improvement. STO has improved, and, in my opinion, more playable than TOR. My point was this: If TOR can make HALF the improvements STO has, it will succeed. If it doesn't, TOR will fail.

STO has improved? Can you please tell me where? I popped in there last week, PvP has not been touched in 2 YEARS! It still lacks meaningful content, STILL has only one full faction and every decent bit of kit is up for sale for cashee money...........or you can grind it out for 3 years :). I'm sorry but I fail to see the comparison and IF STO has more playability for you, adios. I really do hope you jest when you say that about BW following Cryptics examples.... they did nothing but make epic fubars, lie and rip-off its playerbase.

Edited by Redat

STO has improved? Can you please tell me where? I popped in there last week, PvP has not been touched in 2 YEARS! It still lacks meaningful content, STILL has only one full faction and every decent bit of kit is up for sale for cashee money...........or you can grind it out for 3 years :). I'm sorry but I fail to see the comparison and IF STO has more playability for you, adios.

If you don't agree with me, then fine, and true, it has taken a long time for the improvements to be made. Regardless of your opinion, it cannot be argued that they have worked on the game. TOR needs to make the same improvements, or atleast SHOW that they care somewhat about their playerbase. They expect us to drink the star wars flavored kool aid and just play the game and accept it's awesome because x-play gave it a 5/5.

STO was able to make a fun game after they improved. We may have different ideas on what makes a good game, but you cannot disagree when I say that TOR was rushed, and depended on the ip to sell copies. Regardless, I do enjoy TOR, and I am patient to wait for improvements. The question is this : Will they improve the game? or will they let it sink?

Lets be honest here folks, these new games WILL take people away from SWTOR, that's undeniable. It definitely will not kill the game, but I foresee many people leaving.

This is their chance to add to this game. They have small window of about 5 months left to flesh out the end game and add to the PvP, add cross realm stuff, dungeon finder, and make more stuff difficult at end game. Or else more will leave.

Now as to the other games being released?

Tera- I played it, just another grindy boring Asian mmo but with a new twist in combat. Pass, IMO this game is 100% better and better atmosphere.

GW2- PvP focused game. Even if they added a ton of PvE stuff, there will not be end game PvE, and there is no rewards (purps) so PvE has no hooks. Even the PvP has no hooks either. No reward= only the most hardcore PvP people will play. I personally like to earn rewards in mmorpgs. and achievements and color dyes do not interest me. Oh and the game is simply way over hyped. so 1/2 of the poeple right away will be disappointed.

Lost World- One word....Funcom

Edited by sheisty

If you don't agree with me, then fine, and true, it has taken a long time for the improvements to be made. Regardless of your opinion, it cannot be argued that they have worked on the game. TOR needs to make the same improvements, or atleast SHOW that they care somewhat about their playerbase. They expect us to drink the star wars flavored kool aid and just play the game and accept it's awesome because x-play gave it a 5/5.

STO was able to make a fun game after they improved. We may have different ideas on what makes a good game, but you cannot disagree when I say that TOR was rushed, and depended on the ip to sell copies. Regardless, I do enjoy TOR, and I am patient to wait for improvements. The question is this : Will they improve the game? or will they let it sink?

You just dont see it do you? STOL had 24 months of dev time as they used thier existing "toolset" from thier SPANDEX mmO, TOR has had double THAT, has ample content at launch to get to lvl without grinding........

The changes you tout from STO are cosmetic at best, they have added TONS of content to the store, very little in the way of gameplay, they even cut out the first 25 lvls of the klingon faction instead of providing decent content lmfao.

Please, take of those rosey specs and smell what you shovelin :)