The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

Thank you. Thank you. Please don't let the random ranting of people on the forums change your opinion. What people think they want isn't always what is best for them.

There are certainly problems with low server populations, and these need to be addressed, most likely with transfers and mergers. But thank you from the bottom of my heart for not allowing this cross-server nonsense to sway you.

Their view and solution is very short sighted, in my opinion. I think they (and you apparently) will find that this is a poor attempt to automate their existing failed process of today. Until they actually put some thought in to this as a whole player base solution, it will fall flat and continue to disappoint players who want to enjoy all content all the time.

Are you opposed to cross server PvP too? If not, why not?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, let me add, that if I am frustrated with the game because of the inability to group with folks to enjoy the content, then I am probably not going to be logging on anyway, so my ability to grow and nurture relationships online isn't likely to happen as a result (even if that was a major factor for me). Right?

tbh, this game was super while leveling my first character. But end game is so disconnected from that experience I lost interest in that first toon quickly after max. My second toon (opposite faction for various reasons) I finally got bored with around lvl 35+ and tried to just run some fp's... well, you can imagine that frustration... so, any relationships I may have had, ain't growing cause I don't log on much any more because I can't do the things I would like to ingame (run fp's while leveling). shocker... :eek:

Thus, my activist type pursuit for this change in particular. Its a glaring hole for those that want to enjoy leveling in fp's on occasion.

Good post. And I am not countering your arguments, but lemme ask. Are you viewing things backwards? What I mean, is why not develop and nurture relationships first to then be able to help you do more complex activities?

Chat with people while your out leveling, form groups that do not require 4 or 8 to do smaller tasks, with people around your level, get to know a bunch of them, and then work with them to do FP's?

-shrugs- Maybe just another way to look at it.

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

hey pssst, you there.... there is already -no- server communities in swtor....

For some reason, BW decided to actually hinder any potential server communities:

* no global channels on servers

* no server forums. I mean seriously how f$%*ing hard is it to create a separate forum for each server? Why go out of their way to actually discourage community?

* no server forums. I mean seriously how f$%*ing hard is it to create a separate forum for each server? Why go out of their way to actually discourage community?

Yeah, this is one of the things that really bugs me. Man I wish we had a good server forums setup.

Good post. And I am not countering your arguments, but lemme ask. Are you viewing things backwards? What I mean, is why not develop and nurture relationships first to then be able to help you do more complex activities?

Chat with people while your out leveling, form groups that do not require 4 or 8 to do smaller tasks, with people around your level, get to know a bunch of them, and then work with them to do FP's?

-shrugs- Maybe just another way to look at it.

No matter how many people you get to know this way, there's never a guarantee you'll be able to get enough to do a flashpoint when you want to or have time to do a flashpoint.

Some of us are very limited in the amount of time we have to play the game. Given the length of the average flashpoint, I could run 2 each play session, if I could run them back-to-back.

Given the amount of time required to actually get into one (read: waiting or preparing to play instead of playing), I'm lucky to be able to do 1 per session.

It's frustrating that other players want to impose their outlook on the game upon me. All I want is a tool to make the game more fun for me, so I can in good conscience keep paying BioWare for the privilege of playing the game.

But the thing is, it's not a mandatory tool. It's completely optional. People who don't like it, don't have to use it.

No matter how many people you get to know this way, there's never a guarantee you'll be able to get enough to do a flashpoint when you want to or have time to do a flashpoint.

Some of us are very limited in the amount of time we have to play the game. Given the length of the average flashpoint, I could run 2 each play session, if I could run them back-to-back.

Given the amount of time required to actually get into one (read: waiting or preparing to play instead of playing), I'm lucky to be able to do 1 per session.

It's frustrating that other players want to impose their outlook on the game upon me. All I want is a tool to make the game more fun for me, so I can in good conscience keep paying BioWare for the privilege of playing the game.

But the thing is, it's not a mandatory tool. It's completely optional. People who don't like it, don't have to use it.

-nods-

I understand that...there is also the ability to plan ahead. Knowing your playtime and the others with you. I mean it's easy to make excuses why you can't or don't wanna put in the time to be social in a social game. I understand that, but it can be done, and has been done very effectively in other games.

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

Cross realm community destruction. What a load of crap! We need this feature in game now...... Ruin the community my backside.... I suppose the elitists will be just that though, elite.

Start adding people you actualy went into a flashpoint with. Ask them if they have fixed playtimes and ask if they want to hang again the nexttime.

Socialize.

If you are not willing to do that i strongly recomand to play singleplayer games.

To all who say the game gets emty because there is no dungeonfinder, i think you are wrong. The game gets emty because the contend is extremly easy to eat through. i can make a 50 hardmode operation ready character in 72 houers played. I dont think anyone will supscribe a long time if they dont like alts. Even then you can play 3 alts to that state and theres nothing to do left. Crossrealm finder would even shorten that process more lol.

The game needs less itemdrops imo. Not 4 ways of purple shuffling up the bum.

They need to put progress in the game and progress that feels like you worked for it and earned it.

Right now it feels like free candy and thats boring for gamers over time.

Yeah, this is one of the things that really bugs me. Man I wish we had a good server forums setup.
You could always create a server forum, and advertise it. That's what people did back in EQ.

You can still read the Tribunal forum, even though that server no longer exists (it was merged with aRo and kept the trib name but then merged again to bristlebane I think), http://thetribunaldotorg.yuku.com/

Start adding people you actualy went into a flashpoint with. Ask them if they have fixed playtimes and ask if they want to hang again the nexttime.

Socialize.

I've seen one of those people log back in in the last month... She was still in her upper 30s ... so that didn't really help any of my characters which weren't of level to do anything with her.

I did not see anyone in the time that I leveled from balmorra to correlia except for a couple people on belsavis.

So, other than running with my guildies when they happen to be available, I'm kind of out of luck.

Edited by ferroz

You could always create a server forum, and advertise it. That's what people did back in EQ.

You can still read the Tribunal forum, even though that server no longer exists (it was merged with aRo and kept the trib name but then merged again to bristlebane I think), http://thetribunaldotorg.yuku.com/

Yup, I think some servers have done that here. Using the boards here would be really nice, but if push came to shove that would be a viable option.

Yup, I think some servers have done that here. Using the boards here would be really nice, but if push came to shove that would be a viable option.

you could always set up a google group... that has forums, doesn't it?

LFG system is not a real need, what is a real need, is to fix the population in some realms, thats where the real problem is..

LFG is okay, but will be better if they could merge or do something with the population of some realms where people cant take hours if lucky for find a group for do something.

so instead of work in a LFG , work in server population please, dont be cocky and accept theres more servers that population in the game atm, may improve with time but right now, thats the real issue.

LFG system is not a real need, what is a real need, is to fix the population in some realms, thats where the real problem is..

LFG is okay, but will be better if they could merge or do something with the population of some realms where people cant take hours if lucky for find a group for do something.

so instead of work in a LFG , work in server population please, dont be cocky and accept theres more servers that population in the game atm, may improve with time but right now, thats the real issue.

No, I'd really rather have a full suite of cross server tools; I'd much prefer that over having to merge servers and potentially losing one of my character's names.

in fact, I'd prefer that even if noone was having problems finding groups, and all servers were perfectly balanced.

Edited by ferroz

That is exactly what i dont understand......exactly HOW will it kill the community? Not being able to add to your ignore list? Why does it matter...I simply don't understand how spamming General chat is a better community then just clicking a button and going to smash things into oblivion for fun....

I don't know how it did, but it did. People stopped communicating to form groups and everything just became this lifeless automated system. But it is a necessary evil because otherwise you are too dependent on the current level of activity on your own sever at any given moment.

Master Mode dungeons were introduced because people who were raid geared found T1 and T2 dungeons trivial. Of course they were trivial. You're in raid gear doing group content. So they introduced master mode dungeons that require some raid gear to complete, and offer loot that serves as a bridge between dungeon gear and raid gear.

No, that is just not true.

T1 raids would be what? both river of souls and greenscale? and T2 would be HK? Nobody had even touched Akylios by the time they put master mode in and most guilds were lucky to be getting murdantix down. Raiders generally don't complain about easy 5 man content as its expected. Master mode was introduced because people complained about the post x-realm dungeon nerfs and they lost accounts, period.

This kills me and you know what I'm begining to realize? MMO devs are more in the business of selling entitled online ego aka epeen on tap than they are in the business of making the kind of game that you can actually earn it.

I also stand by everything else I've said. Take care.

Edited by Vlaxitov

No, that is just not true.

T1 raids would be what? both river of souls and greenscale? and T2 would be HK?

No... greenscale was T3; I forget whether RoS was 4 and HK 5 or if they were 3.5 and 4 or what.

T1 and T2 were the expert mode dungeons.

T1 = IT, RotF, KB, LH, FC

T2 = RD, DD, DSM, AP,CC

If you don't know that, well... I'm not even convinced you've actually played that game...

Socialize.

If you are not willing to do that i strongly recomand to play singleplayer games.

That is just insane, I have a busy life and I don't know anyone outside of people in school or stay at home parents who have a fixed schedule week after week. I'm not sitting down every sunday with "the planning community' and organizing when Charles and Josh have to be on. And considering that more and more games and putting in fringe time content and tools that work and are available, maybe FPS shooters and clans are for you, I hear that play regularly all the time together.

To all who say the game gets emty because there is no dungeonfinder, i think you are wrong. The game gets emty because the contend is extremly easy to eat through. i can make a 50 hardmode operation ready character in 72 houers played. I dont think anyone will supscribe a long time if they dont like alts. Even then you can play 3 alts to that state and theres nothing to do left. Crossrealm finder would even shorten that process more lol.

The game needs less itemdrops imo. Not 4 ways of purple shuffling up the bum.

They need to put progress in the game and progress that feels like you worked for it and earned it.

Right now it feels like free candy and thats boring for gamers over time.

Dungeon finder is a different crowd then people who raid that are above average as you appear to be from the way you worded it. Don't punish us.

No... greenscale was T3; I forget whether RoS was 4 and HK 5 or if they were 3.5 and 4 or what.

T1 and T2 were the expert mode dungeons.

T1 = IT, RotF, KB, LH, FC

T2 = RD, DD, DSM, AP,CC

If you don't know that, well... I'm not even convinced you've actually played that game...

I wasn't talking T1 and T2 hardmodes smart guy. I was talking raids.

Greenscale and RoS had the same quality loot, and paid out the same tier raid currency.

I guess this is the part that I say I'm not convinced you played... :rolleyes:

Just look what it did for WoW, completely improved the game. Did absolutely nothing to hurt this community you speak of. It only removes one of the horrible obstacles in leveling. Letting people play the game they pay for, that should be priority number one. Not sitting on fleet trying for over an hour just to find a 4th player for a HM. Now THAT destroys any community you speak of. I've been in queue now for 2 hours and 20 minutes trying to get a WZ in. Give me cross server pvp/lfg and ill be happy. Until then, every 10 minutes im waiting to play the game i pay for, is just a strain on me from cancelling my subscription and going back to WoW. Edited by epicmeatwad

That is just insane, I have a busy life and I don't know anyone outside of people in school or stay at home parents who have a fixed schedule week after week. I'm not sitting down every sunday with "the planning community' and organizing when Charles and Josh have to be on. And considering that more and more games and putting in fringe time content and tools that work and are available, maybe FPS shooters and clans are for you, I hear that play regularly all the time together.

Dungeon finder is a different crowd then people who raid that are above average as you appear to be from the way you worded it. Don't punish us.

Are you suggesting that LFG tools aren't for raiders in mmos?

The reason some people have more or less limited times to play games or participate in anyother hobby or form of entertainment is because everyone has different priorities in their lives. So the only way you go unpunished is by holding other's entertainment hostage to your other priorities?

Its funny you suggest FPS games to someone else because CoD has exactly what you're looking for, immediate online group play at all times that works much better than any LFG system in a mmo ever has.

Edited by Vlaxitov

The are obvious pros and cons to each way. How you weigh them out is going to vary by individual. Quick reward vs community building generically although it is nowhere near as simple as that.

Anecdotal evidence only, but the "community" typically trends downward into complete madness in 'forced' (not literally but you arent involved in the selection process) grouping environments. This forum has already seen a few hundred pages worth of bickering over how loot should be handled with every self interested party thinking they've got it down.

Its one of those damned if you do damned if you dont paradoxes.

I wasn't talking T1 and T2 hardmodes smart guy. I was talking raids.
The person you're responding to is talking about t1 and t2 hard modes...

T1 and T2 didn't refer to anything else when I left the game... greenscale was t3; maybe the naming changed much later on... but really, it just looks like you either didn't play the game at all, or only started playing recently

Greenscale and RoS had the same quality loot, and paid out the same tier raid currency.
RoS was released later (after the river of souls event, in fact); I couldn't remember whether people referred to that as T3 as well or by a different number.

No, I don't have any experience raiding in RIFT; I didn't bother with raiding, because the only raid guild on my server was full of people on my ignore list. It didn't stop them from getting groups or raiding... even though it was single server and there were no server transfers at the time. But they were well known for all kinds of shenanigans, and weren't the sort of people I wanted to associate with.

Edited by ferroz

Are you suggesting that LFG tools aren't for raiders in mmos?

Yes, they aren't the primary target market.

The reason some people have more or less limited times to play games or participate in anyother hobby or form of entertainment is because everyone has different priorities in their lives. So the only way you go unpunished is by holding other's entertainment hostage to your other priorities?

So it's fine to hold mine hostage? With that mentality it's just gonna cause people to gun for you which they are in droves atm. It won't effect you what so ever anyways. I ran server runs with a mixture of guildmates and rl friends all the time when I was in college and the X-LFD came out. It wasn't difficult at all, just be patient and it's very easy to form groups. For the rest of us that are unable to form groups due to the various legitimate reasons, we'll be able to enjoy the game as well.

Edited by Touchbass

I think the idea of giving players to option to decide whether to group cross-server or single-server could potentially fix all the issues. It allows players on well-populated servers to form groups easier with people from their own server while allowing people on lower populated servers to group with people over all servers. The biggest issue with that is the division of roles over low-populated servers. I could see tanks, and to a lesser extent healers, sticking to their own, low-pop server because their queues would be short anyway. That said I think it's a good starting point. If it works, great, it should keep everyone relatively happy. If not then I think it comes down to 2 options. 1. Complete cross-server lfg with an emphasis on placing players from the same server together. 2. Server merges (which open up a whole new set of issues).