No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

Yea if your happy with filling a niche market need. Other wise bigger numbers are better from a money making stand point.

I do not see EA being happy filling a niche market.

-shrugs-

Could be niche, could be more..there's no real definitive on it. I know how our company operates and we are definitely not niche, but we don't advertise on a large scale and do not sale directly to the public. We strive for loyalty even if it means smaller numbers.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty depressing since my server is pretty dead even at peak hours. If it's single server only then the feature will be absolutely useless to myself and many others stuck on dreadfully low population servers.

Well, for that free server transfers would be welcome.

What are you doing on a ghost server anyway? :p

I got some mixed feelings regarding X-Server LFG tool.

I know a few people that no one would like to get into their group on their local server because of bad attitude and ninja looting, nice to let them join and harass others via such a tool.

Just pondering how BW will add a penalty to bad behaving players when the power is taken out of a server community hands.

I would also advice that master looting is used, but remember that you might end up in a group where the bad player is the leader and lootmaster.

And the other bad behavior is leaving before it is done.

I have seen players that acted like gods leave cause of multiple wipes, which where on shot kills after the replacement joined the group.

Bad thing is, that the replacement might have needed the other bosses too.

Also, some players tend to leave after they got the only drop they came for.

Just saying that some of these issues where none existent before WoW got their tool added, at least not on the realm I used to play on.

But to come with some comfort, it's only a little percent of the player base that behave like *insert random bad word*

Edited by Mineria

I think a smaller number dedicated for a longer period of time to a product is better than I high number that only sticks around for a short period of time. Hence, larger numbers are not always better.

The company I work for operates under that that model.

If you ask BioWare / EA if they'd prefer to operate under the Blizzard/WoW MMO model or the Sony/SWG MMO model, guess which model they'll pick?

If you ask BioWare / EA if they'd prefer to operate under the Blizzard/WoW MMO model or the Sony/SWG MMO model, guess which model they'll pick?

I don't know, ask them. Why is this important?

I am sure they would want the game to be around and viable for as long as possible.

Edited by Vydor_HC

-nods-

I understand the desire to have it easy to form groups.

I'm not sure is about that... best friends in gaming were found in LFG global channels a few years ago, and I didn't mind about the wait. There were no tools, only a global channel on a standart server, but standart meant more than 1k people online in the same channel.

I understand your concerns, I really do. I don't think the problem is the lack of tools anymore, 1.7m subscriptions do not mean 1.7m people playing.

Standart servers look and feel empty, the number I see at the top left corner everywhere is depressing.

I'm enjoying the game, the classes stories, the combat, but I'm not enjoying it that much to re-create the same classes on another server. It's just that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and I may be wrong but server population wise, nothing in 1.2 will make it better.

Just do something fast, please open up a server global channel, something...

There is nothing wrong with a cross realm LFG system. Yes it would be nice for it to be an all server thing but there are so many underpop servers around where people can't find a group for a heroic let alone a FP.

Plus Cross realm will allow people to get into groups faster which I personally loved back when I did play wow. I don't care too much for hours of solo questing so sometimes I take a break and just spam run Instances and gain a good amount of XP while having fun actually doing my desired role in a group.

Community will be fine and if you want to run with people from your server you can always still do that if you don't want to use the feature.

Well, for that free server transfers would be welcome.

What are you doing on a ghost server anyway? :p

I've been on the same one since launch. Myself and several friends all picked one that was high pop at the time but I ended up being the only one that stuck with the game and the server is now always low pop even at peak hours. I have several maxed characters and a few other characters in there 30's across both factions and have a pretty decent legacy level. The last thing I want to do is start all over on a new server.

Edited by HeavensDemise

I'm not sure is about that... best friends in gaming were found in LFG global channels a few years ago, and I didn't mind about the wait. There were no tools, only a global channel on a standart server, but standart meant more than 1k people online in the same channel.

I understand your concerns, I really do. I don't think the problem is the lack of tools anymore, 1.7m subscriptions do not mean 1.7m people playing.

Standart servers look and feel empty, the number I see at the top left corner everywhere is depressing.

I'm enjoying the game, the classes stories, the combat, but I'm not enjoying it that much to re-create the same classes on another server. It's just that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and I may be wrong but server population wise, nothing in 1.2 will make it better.

Just do something fast, please open up a server global channel, something...

-nods-

I think that their expanding the LFG tool is a good step. I am hesitant to see it go into an automated process. I prefer players doing the social things and the computer doing the number crunching.

I don't know, ask them. Why is this important?

I am sure they would want the game to be around and viable for as long as possible.

It's important because your post, that I quoted, argued that smaller would be better.

It's important because your post, that I quoted, argued that smaller would be better.

OK, well we disagree then. No biggie. I am just not one that believes get the most numbers you can, if those numbers disappear in a year. If you can get large numbers for a long period of time great, but simple large numbers is not the only definition of a healthy game.

Just wait till we start seeing the main bodies of raid guilds recruiting only their friends or geared referrals that've applied on their guild forum, gone through whatever interview process the guild administrative body thinks is good and calling for pugs in general gets you pilloried for a half hour.

Ahh, the good* ol' days.

*: terrible

Agreed

If this tool is added there will be a definitive gating for group content and will decrease new players' opportunities to enjoy content.

All this will do is make a handful of 'LEET' groups of players who are already subbed and not going anywhere anytime soon happy (otherwise they'd already have unsubbed) while it will result in a loss of subs for BW.

If this tool is added there will be a definitive gating for group content and will decrease new players' opportunities to enjoy content.

All this will do is make a handful of 'LEET' groups of players who are already subbed and not going anywhere anytime soon happy (otherwise they'd already have unsubbed) while it will result in a loss of subs for BW.

If you played WoW you would know that people getting into the group from other servers are randomly selected by the system.

So I don't get how it should allow people to make a LEET group?

There are some other concerns with such a tool thou which I posted on page 38: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=316975&page=38

Edited by Mineria

Agreed

My experience leads me to believe just the opposite. I don't understand the argument that opening up new opportunities to group somehow limits your opportunities to group.

I play tank, so my ques pop instantly in Rift's x-server system. I log on, I put myself in a que, I get an instance. It's just that fast. As DPS it can take 15-30 minutes. But most people just want to sit back and pew pew, so that makes sense.
Yeah, it's that way in xshard... though when rift's lfg was still single server, I queued as a mid level cleric for tank, heals, support and dps (I forget what level, I could queue for 2 or 3 dungeons at the time) and spent multiple 6 hour nights without finding a group.

edit: to be fair, I was on a pretty dead server (kaleida was one of the bottom 3 servers in population according to the metrics people had gathered), and this was before they had added the server transfer system.

Edited by ferroz

Agreed

You're making 0 sense.

If the tool is added, then there's no gating. a "non leet" player can get into groups easier and faster regardless of how many "leet" groups there are on his server.

That's pretty depressing since my server is pretty dead even at peak hours. If it's single server only then the feature will be absolutely useless to myself and many others stuck on dreadfully low population servers.
Just my intuition: don't expect to be able to run anything but hard mode flashpoints; the normal ones will be pretty much dead (you might be able to run the 50 normals but I doubt it). Even then, you'll probably have long waits (hour+) even if you're playing during prime time. Edited by ferroz

Too many of them to put on ignore when you have so many servers linked.
I still have plenty of room on my ingore list in wow, and I have 0 tolerence for any sort of rudeness in lfd groups.

But I completely agree with the rest of what you said. I have three 50s and working on a fourth. On my first one, I stopped to "smell the roses" so to speak, and took my time, listening to all of the stories and getting groups for all of the flashpoints/heroics. But, with each subsequent toon, I started doing much less group content. I still like to take my time with the stories, but I don't even bother to try to get a group going for that stuff anymore. That's why I'm in favor of queuing for lower level stuff and even 50 flashpoints. I've changed my mind to even go for cross-server for that, because I don't see the harm it could do, now.
Yeah, it's really sad that new players are basically going to miss out on such a huge part of the game (flashpoints)

People who want x-realm will say anything to argue their point. This reminds me of the guy who told me that every mmo that has added x-realm has nerfed content afterwards, but thats just a coincidence.
He probably told you that you were conflating correlation and causation.

Rift nerfed once to as you say "flatten the progression curve" pre x-realm,
Actually, they nerfed dungeons 2 or 3 times before single server lfg, and then another bunch of times after before I stopped playing, on almost a continual basis tryign to tune things properly. They were pretty much untuned when the game went live.

and then they added master mode dungeons to make sure they had proper hard content, to make sure they were making everyone happy.

Wrong,

NEED a cross realm LFG tool. Shout my head off for hours LFG and get nothing. Haven't done a flash point unless it was with my guild. Don't say its bad for the community when ya can not group with anyone from the community anyway.

You're guessing quite wrong. Cross-server Warzones are coming.

Not in 1.2 though if I remember what I heard you guys saying? (If it is then I do apologize but from the way the posts are worded it seems like its in the works, and not defiantly in 1.2):

UPDATE: Please see Stephen's post here. I've updated the post below to reflect his comments.

Just to clarify, since I've seen this question a number of times in this thread. What we said was:

• Cross-server PvP queuing is in the works
  • Once it launches, it will allow us to do things such as:
  • More level bracketing

• 8-man team creation

• Ability to queue for a specific warzone

There is no current timeline for this feature, and there's also no guarantee that it will all happen at once, but cross-server queuing will open up a bunch of possibilities for us. Once we have more details, of course, we will let you know.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=3339075&postcount=216

So does this mean 1.2 will be server-only for the time being? Because if Im honest.. Uthar Wynn cannot take the hit if that's the case. The population is dwindling, people are re rolling to other servers or just leaving, and without any cross-realm queues full stop the server will have a hard time with - as it is right now - insane queue times.

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in 1.2 - but I don't think its going to bring everyone back to a light populated server of 300-400 people who seem to be playing on it at the moment (both sides).

Edited by Mysquine

Genuine curiosity. How does a fully automated cross server system allow players to communicate with each other? Also the community in this sense would be considered the server wouldn't it, so how does communicating with another server improve the server community?

I'd like to point out that cross server LFG does not help with heroic quests. The concept I previously linked does.

Since no one would answer you and you wanted an answer, here ya go.

I can never communicate with anyone on another server now, right? But, put us together in a cross server LFG tool and boom, while we are grouped, I have every opportunity to chat with that person(s). That's communication that I would never have otherwise.

And, I always started runs in WoW with pleasantries as well as discussion throughout any dungeons (cross server or otherwise, didn't treat them any different). Its not the tool that creates bad "communities" its the people. If people are rude, a lack of tools doesn't make them nice all of a sudden.

How does that improve the server community? What would you rather have on your server, people who are happy and enjoying all of the game's content (due to the ease and access of a cross server LFG tool), or people so frustrated with not finding groups just log off in anger and never come back...

People who want x-realm will say anything to argue their point. This reminds me of the guy who told me that every mmo that has added x-realm has nerfed content afterwards, but thats just a coincidence.

and those against it will say anything to argue their point. So what's yours?

the DIFFERENCE is, people for the LFG tool can give first-hand opinions from experience..those of you against it just say "it ruins community nah nah nah boo boo" without any real facts to back it up.

here's a clue; WoW's community didn't change, and I had less problems in LFG pug groups than hand-made ones from my server only..and I played since beta to cata. Others tell you the same. WoW's community was always garbage because of the type of people that prevailed on Battle.net and came over due to the "WarCraft" name.

the cross-server LFG tool helped RIFT..but everyone wants to overlook that fact.

a cross server LFG tool will not do anything to the community except help keep people who are on the fence to canceling due to not being able to get groups together for the things they want to do.

what exactly is fun about spamming general chat for an hour or two? only to either give up most of the time or not even find a group?

FACT - SWTOR needs a cross-server LFG tool. FACT - it will only HELP the game.

get over yourselves..no one is forcing you to use the damn thing anyway if it does go in.

Since no one would answer you and you wanted an answer, here ya go.

I can never communicate with anyone on another server now, right? But, put us together in a cross server LFG tool and boom, while we are grouped, I have every opportunity to chat with that person(s). That's communication that I would never have otherwise.

And, I always started runs in WoW with pleasantries as well as discussion throughout any dungeons (cross server or otherwise, didn't treat them any different). Its not the tool that creates bad "communities" its the people. If people are rude, a lack of tools doesn't make them nice all of a sudden.

How does that improve the server community? What would you rather have on your server, people who are happy and enjoying all of the game's content (due to the ease and access of a cross server LFG tool), or people so frustrated with not finding groups just log off in anger and never come back...

Ok during the duration of the flashpoint you can communicate with those few people... Then what? You can't nurture pr strengthen those bonds at a later date unless you leave your current community and join theirs.

No idea how bad people came up in a communication discussion.

Your last point makes the assumption that the community will be miserable without a cross server fully automated system. That also does not answer how can communicating with players from another server temporary improve your current community. Are the bonds between the server members strengthened? People joining more guilds, making more friends etc on the server increase via this communication? I am curious.